#1 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Over the last year it has become clear that out of all the crew, Patrick has the most enthusiasm and go-get-it attitude for his job at Giant Bomb. This enthusiasm can be felt on the podcast and on the live streams. You see it in how Patrick steps out of his comfort zone and plays games like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. And we've all noticed how he's in so many Quick Looks.

Perhaps this is due to Patrick being younger than the rest of the crew and not having had this job quite as long. Whatever the reason, it seems at times that the other duders are a little tired and jaded in comparison. There may be a big gap felt in the content of the site. The others are going to have to step up their game. I'm not feeling that same kind of enthusiasm. Sometimes I get a "ho-hum, it's another day" kind of feeling from the other crew members.

What can the Giant Bomb crew do to fill that gap? The addition of Rorie is a god-send at this point. He has that fun and playful energy, but is that enough? Will Giant Bomb need to take on another young and energetic person in the future? I actually think that people like Kessler and Pascual being on the site more in the Dota streams is a good step in this sort of direction. What about bringing interns into GB again?

What do you think?

Edit: Since a few have missed the news. Patrick is not leaving Giant Bomb. He is just leaving San Francisco and moving back to Chicago. So he'll still be creating content for the site like Alex.

#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

I don't know what the answer is. But I totally agree Patrick has the most noticiable enthusiasm and energy.

#3 Posted by RVonE (4601 posts) -

@mcghee: Rorie isn't editorial staff, though.

Also, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your analysis, but I do worry about the frequency of quick looks. They've been rather scarce as it is, but without Patrick doing half of them, I wonder who'll pick up that slack.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I don't know what the answer is. But I totally agree Patrick has the most noticiable enthusiasm and energy.

Yes. And I don't want people thinking I'm shitting all over the rest of the crew. I love these dudes. This whole post is kind of intangible in my mind. How you define an "enthusiastic feeling." But it's there and I notice it.

#5 Posted by ottoman673 (468 posts) -

1. Brad does a daily stream now, which is HUGE. An hour of content everyday, even if it's just DOTA, is a lot more than the quicklooks and reviews he's doing.

2. This is an odd time for the GB dudes, Jeff just spent a week at Judge's week, Ryan's getting married, and Vinny's still being the video guy/tech guru who makes shit work as far as videos go. If anyone, I'd like to see more Drew and Alexis, because they're cool dudes. [the charity Halo stream was really cool, and those guys jived really well.]

3. Patrick has pledged to still produce content - he'll be able to "break stories" or do more frequent videos, a la Spookin with Scoops, or his version of Jar Time.

I have a feeling that even though Patrick's going to Chicago, there'll still be plenty of content on Giant Bomb.

#6 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

1. Brad does a daily stream now, which is HUGE. An hour of content everyday, even if it's just DOTA, is a lot more than the quicklooks and reviews he's doing.

2. This is an odd time for the GB dudes, Jeff just spent a week at Judge's week, Ryan's getting married, and Vinny's still being the video guy/tech guru who makes shit work as far as videos go. If anyone, I'd like to see more Drew and Alexis, because they're cool dudes. [the charity Halo stream was really cool, and those guys jived really well.]

3. Patrick has pledged to still produce content - he'll be able to "break stories" or do more frequent videos, a la Spookin with Scoops, or his version of Jar Time.

I have a feeling that even though Patrick's going to Chicago, there'll still be plenty of content on Giant Bomb.

I'm not necessarily talking about the amount of the content but the attitude and feeling of the content.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@rvone said:

@mcghee: Rorie isn't editorial staff, though.

Also, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your analysis, but I do worry about the frequency of quick looks. They've been rather scarce as it is, but without Patrick doing half of them, I wonder who'll pick up that slack.

this is my main problem. It's also mentioned that Patrick does bring a lot of QL's that wouldn't be done otherwise.

#8 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5120 posts) -

He definitely seemed the most open to new things and brought a unique interesting perspective to the crews conversations. Patrick will be sorely missed from around the office content.

#9 Posted by Irvandus (2774 posts) -

Yeah. Patrick brings a ton of variety in terms of personality to the table.

#10 Edited by Clonedzero (4037 posts) -

Yeah, maybe Ryan will finally review something.

But yeah, QuickLooks are in trouble without Patrick he did a vast majority of them in the past few months. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

#11 Posted by Bocam (3665 posts) -

Yeah, maybe Ryan will finally review something.

Like how Ryan said he'd review GoW:A or do something with the director's cut of Deadly Premonition.

#12 Edited by slyspider (1130 posts) -

wait... Patrick is leaving? Did i miss something obvious?

#13 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

i thought he said he was still gonna do bombasticas, spookin etc. which sounds like he is still going to be producing a ton of stuff, video content included. i actually think this situation is pretty ideal because i felt like patrick would sometimes dominate conversations due to his enthusiasm and the fact that he is a pretty vociferous guy.

#14 Posted by Skytylz (4024 posts) -

Holy shit, I read the title and the OP and for a second though Patrick was leaving completely. I'm really glad he's still going to be writing because he's the best in the business if you ask me. It'll be kinda weird going back to the old crew minus Dave plus Rorie in the office though.

#15 Posted by tyler1285 (172 posts) -

@clonedzero: Maybe Ryan will do anything. #teamfuckryandavis

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Well fuck man. I thought this was a joke then I went and saw the "Worth Reading" from this week. Ugh. This sucks Dave and now Patrick? =(

The Patrick haters can go suck it. The guy brought a special brand of enthusiasm to the table and even though he was HOOOORRIBLY wrong in some of the information about some games he passes along at least he has a real enthusiasm to actually try new games. I guess luckily we get him for one more E3 though right?

#17 Posted by goldenmnk (185 posts) -

Listing to old podcast just makes me sadder, your presence on the cast will be missed!

#18 Posted by lunchtime (49 posts) -

I guess the people on YouTube will be happy now. I swear it seems like 90-percent of the comments for Quick Looks with Patrick are just comments about Patrick.

That Hannah person from a week or so back is funny and would fit in well. Dunno what she does for work, but she'd be a welcomed addition.

More Drew would be nice. And Rorie is a great addition.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

Patrick had the best debut on the bomcast.

#20 Edited by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

Yeah, the site just won't be the same without Patrick's frequent video contributions. He's consistently produced some of the best and most thoughtful content on the site. It's great that he'll still be doing video content from Chicago, but it just won't be the same.

#21 Posted by Marokai (2785 posts) -

I'm pretty sad to see Patrick go, since in the last 6 months or so I feel like he finally really started to feel like he belonged here. I was one of the many folks who have criticized a lot of what Patrick did in the past, but seeing him go is a bit devestating for the content output of this site, considering that Ryan and Jeff do practically nothing video related these days except showing up on (most of) the live shows.

It's really not a joke that the rest of the crew needs to start bringing it again. We had years of amazing content with the original gang, but their lives have become a lot more rooted and distracted in the last year. I admit to being a bit worried about where this site will go without Patrick being a huge presence.

#22 Edited by gaminghooligan (1402 posts) -

One of the reasons I decided to become a paid member was to support a game website that gave such a strong voice to the smaller indie games. From what I can tell Patrick is the person behind this movement, and quite honestly with him gone I worry that this kind of coverage will cease. Scoops will still be around but losing him on QL is going to be a huge blow if someone doesn't step up and start probing the indie world in his stead. I love this site, I love the crew, and I'll remain in the GB community as long as it still exists since this is my favorite gaming site. However, if the indie game content stops and the enthusiasm that Patrick shows doesn't remain, I might have a harder time bringing myself to pay in. Just one duder's opinion obviously, but real talk ya'll.

#23 Edited by Flacracker (1571 posts) -

There will only be 1 quick looks a week without Patrick. Even all the ones from this week have Patrick.

#24 Edited by TruthTellah (8387 posts) -

So, if I've got this right, you're suggesting that the crew sacrifice Patrick at the CBSi altar of Kali and then drink in his heart's essence to gain his enthusiasm for future content...

Or something along those lines.

I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment, and I do hope many factors over the next year or two will help rejuvenate the energy of the crew.

#25 Edited by spykereightsix (78 posts) -

We should be expecting a lot more change over the next year or two. The move to CBS Interactive was just the beginning. Listening to the podcast, you can tell their energy has definitely changed. Everyone is just getting older and I'm sure they have more career ambitions than just writing reviews and producing Quick Looks. Drew is obviously way too talented to keep doing this. Even Jeff recently made a quick comment about a career outside of video games, and if he leaves, I'll bet the site gets completely absorbed by Gamespot.

#26 Posted by afjkidd5 (97 posts) -

I never realized I would miss Patrick so much. He does bring a youthful enthusiasm that has been absent in some of the other guys. Hopefully there will be an uptick in quick looks as new games are released.

#27 Posted by Skytylz (4024 posts) -

We should be expecting a lot more change over the next year or two. The move to CBS Interactive was just the beginning. Listening to the podcast, you can tell their energy has definitely changed. Everyone is just getting older and I'm sure they have more career ambitions than just writing reviews and producing Quick Looks. Drew is obviously way too talented to keep doing this. Even Jeff recently made a quick comment about a career outside of video games, and if he leaves, I'll bet the site gets completely absorbed by Gamespot.

It's crazy to think about, but I honestly think Giant Bomb may have lived the majority of it's life at this point. I really hope I'm wrong, but I doubt the Giant Bomb we know and love will exist in 5 years.

#28 Edited by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

As much as i didn't like the fact Patrick was in every QL, at least it meant we got QL's. I have a feeling the frequency of QL's will be going down after he leaves.

#29 Posted by handlas (2636 posts) -

oh... he's leaving :(

The two people that contribute most to the site won't even be at the home base, sad. Alex and Patrick. And I really liked the chemistry between Patrick and Drew.

#30 Posted by endoworks (270 posts) -

Patrick will be missed, I know he will still be around but he's as important to the regular crew as anyone and not having him on regular live shows will be a bummer. Good luck in Chicago @patrickklepek now you can go to shitty Indianapolis anytime you want :)

#31 Edited by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Too talented? What else do you picture Drew doing? He said during the Halo stream that he didn't go to school for video stuff, most the stuff he does for GB he learnt from GB.

#32 Posted by finnith (21 posts) -

If they get a third person in the EST they could probably do an alternate Bombcast. Stuff over Skype might end up becoming more the norm as on other sites.

#33 Edited by benpicko (1978 posts) -

Patrick's leaving? Really...?!

He had the best Quick Looks. Holy shit.

Edit: Seriously... This is going to affect the quality of videos quite a lot.

#34 Posted by Excast (782 posts) -

It sort of makes you wonder about the future of the site. It's all well and good to say Patrick will still be around writing and producing content, but for a video centric site like Giantbomb I'm just not sure how that works. I can unfortunately see it ending up a lot like Alex. As in, a lot of written content but otherwise nothing.

Dave is gone totally.

Patrick is almost gone.

I'm honestly not sure what Brad, Ryan, and Jeff do with much of their day. It often seems like days can go by without seeing the latter two in much of anything other than the Bombcast or the two livestreams.

Vinny is great, but you can tell some of his spirit and energy has been sapped by dealing with a toddler.

I dunno. Things change I guess. It's hard to believe that like 14 months ago we were still talking about Whiskey Media all in one house. And now? Will and Norm are off doing their own thing. Sara Lima is no longer in the office. Dave is gone. Patrick is headed East. Who is going to be next? = /

#35 Edited by Winternet (8000 posts) -

I actually think some of them should slow it down *cough* *cough* Brad stop playing Dota 2 *cough* *cough*

In all seriousness, it's been 5 years for them, even more if you count the time over at Game Spot, doing this. If you've stayed here all this long I wouldn't worry about them or they content production details. They are pretty good at whatever they do. Let them keep doing it.

#36 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Fuuuuuck we are going to get like one quicklook a month now.

#37 Edited by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Well fuck man. I thought this was a joke then I went and saw the "Worth Reading" from this week. Ugh. This sucks Dave and now Patrick? =(

Wait, what happened to Dave...? I noticed he wasn't around in as many vids anymore, but since his twitter feed is still on the site I thought he was still around but just super busy.

*Edit* Oh, and in response to this actual topic, I agree that the others need to step it up. It's a good thing we have new consoles coming soon. I think that will go a long way in getting the others more excited. I mean, just listen to the end of the last podcast. They all sounded very excited for the next Xbox event.

#38 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Wait, what happened to Dave...? I noticed he wasn't around in as many vids anymore, but since his twitter feed is still on the site I thought he was still around but just super busy.

he left to hang out with his new kid

(rorie replaced him)

#39 Posted by RazielCuts (2903 posts) -

Yup, Patrick was the driving force for pretty much all the QL's in the past year or so, count them up, Patrick is at least one half of the pair in pretty much all videos. I think the main crew, the main 'content providers' Jeff, Ryan and Brad simply don't give an eff anymore, which I guess comes with doing this for so long but yeah, content will drop and we'll see what happens from there I guess...its been happening for a while..

#40 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Man I can't get over this. We just lost 80% of the content.

We have now move to the 4th era of giantbomb the fall.

#41 Posted by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

@animasta: So he...retired? He doesn't work anywhere else now?

#42 Posted by Marokai (2785 posts) -

@spykereightsix said:

Too talented? What else do you picture Drew doing? He said during the Halo stream that he didn't go to school for video stuff, most the stuff he does for GB he learnt from GB.

I also just can't imagine Jeff or Brad doing anything else for the foreseeable future. I mean, things ebb and flow, of course, but Jeff's been doing this all his life, basically, and Brad's work experience outside of video game stuff doesn't add up to much either.

#43 Edited by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

I am always hoping something comes out of Jeff and Adam Sessler hanging out with each other a lot more lately. I believe they were in Los Angeles together this week. It will be different without Patrick there, but I've been happy about something else. Drew has been in a lot lately.

More airtime should be given to Drew. I know he's a quieter guy and mostly technical, but he's sort of a Silent Bob type that whenever he speaks, he says something completely intelligent. I've always liked his contributions. Ryan will always be himself. He's a great show runner.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

he co owned whiskey media so he probably got a pretty good buffer so he doesn't necessarily have to work atm.

#45 Edited by Bocam (3665 posts) -

Dave's taking a sabbatical

#46 Edited by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

@animasta: Really? I had no idea. Who was the other owner?

#47 Posted by TruthTellah (8387 posts) -

@spykereightsix said:

Drew is meant to be free, like the wildebeest that he is. He is taking in Giant Bomb, but one day, he will leave. And on that day, an elk will know its last breath at his hands. The kind, aboriginal tribes of Australia will see a man stride across the plains on a magnificent walkabout. And Vladimir Putin will admit defeat in an arm-wrestling and cold stare competition that will go on for days.

Such is Drew's true place in this world, and while it is great for him to be around right now, we all know in our heart of hearts that he will eventually soar beyond this place and embrace his own path in the wild.

#49 Posted by big_jon (5707 posts) -

Patrick is leaving?

I agree to some point because I see very little interesting content out of Jeff these days, and almost none out of Ryan what so ever. I mean I think after 30 years maybe you just get bored of games, and the passion sort of leaves.

It is nice that Brad has some passion for Dota at least, not that I don't get a little tired of hearing about it but as someone who puts literally years into so games, I am glad to hear more than just the guys talking about playing and beating new games over the course of a weekend.

I would really like to see a new endurance run though, I am annoyed at how resistant the staff seems to them, I think one a year is perfectly reasonable and the are just enjoyable to watch.

#50 Edited by Bocam (3665 posts) -

@mariachimacabre do you feel lied to?

@big_jon said:

I would really like to see a new endurance run though, I am annoyed at how resistant the staff seems to them, I think one a year is perfectly reasonable and the are just enjoyable to watch.

They've been doing Endurance Runs. They're just Premium only