#251 Posted by huser (1019 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Over the last year it has become clear that out of all the crew, Patrick has the most enthusiasm and go-get-it attitude for his job at Giant Bomb. This enthusiasm can be felt on the podcast and on the live streams. You see it in how Patrick steps out of his comfort zone and plays games like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. And we've all noticed how he's in so many Quick Looks.

I think Vinny still has a bit of that despite his joking claims his is kid slowly killing him. The others still want new things it seems, but experimenting isn't so much an interest, they "know what [they] like."

#252 Edited by huser (1019 posts) -

@jz said:

@chaser324: patrick actually physically being in office is the only reason 80% quicklooks get made.

You how he's been in almost all the for the past year.

And the range of stuff given his recent vision quest.

#253 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -

Oh the bullshit, stop it!

Patrick will produce video and site content just like before, there's been a considerable injection of Drew -and- Vinny in during live shows. Rorie is here! Alex does stuff. Even Brad, while it might not live long with all you spoiled naysayers bitching, is doing an hour live content a day which brings in great people like Pascual and Kessler (yes he's fun to rag on but damn if I don't love him) - this can also lead to more Brad Muir . We have unprofessional Fridays going to the 2 hour mark and I always have a blast watching it; It's my favorite people on this planet talking shit and playing videogames, old and new. Bombcast has several times gone beyond the 3 hour mark and it's fantastic! We even had the fun-gineér herself in a live show recently!

I wish Ryan was featured more but if you've payed attention you know he's got stuff going on. The positive side of this is of course that I'm stoked to see him and especially hear him whenever he appears because I can just never have enough Ryan in my life.

Giantbomb is awesome. You know it already.

#254 Posted by BurningBeard (9 posts) -

I know it's a long shot, but what about getting Patrick involved in podcasts via Skype?

#255 Posted by Nictel (2364 posts) -

@geirr said:

Patrick will produce video and site content just like before, there's been a considerable injection of Drew -and- Vinny in during live shows. Rorie is here! Alex does stuff. Even Brad, while it might not live long with all you spoiled naysayers bitching, is doing an hour live content a day which brings in great people like Pascual and Kessler (yes he's fun to rag on but damn if I don't love him) - this can also lead to more Brad Muir . We have unprofessional Fridays going to the 2 hour mark and I always have a blast watching it; It's my favorite people on this planet talking shit and playing videogames, old and new. Bombcast has several times gone beyond the 3 hour mark and it's fantastic! We even had the fun-gineér herself in a live show recently!

I wish Ryan was featured more but if you've payed attention you know he's got stuff going on. The positive side of this is of course that I'm stoked to see him and especially hear him whenever he appears because I can just never have enough Ryan in my life.

To add for me personally: I don't have enough free time to watch all of the content

#256 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

Here is a question I have for everyone: if GiantBomb did a Kickstarter for an Endurance Run (as in reach a certain money goal and they'll do one with daily updates) would you contribute?

#257 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

@humanity said:

Here is a question I have for everyone: if GiantBomb did a Kickstarter for an Endurance Run (as in reach a certain money goal and they'll do one with daily updates) would you contribute?

Off topic, but absolutely.

#258 Edited by Lucien21 (108 posts) -

I think that even though Patrick will still be doing news and the occasional solo video content, which is great, Giant Bomb will still need to replace him in the office. The site uniqueness is based on the quick looks and live events as well as the podcast so they need someone in the office who can help with that end.

#259 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (887 posts) -

@humanity said:

No, why would I pay them to do something they already get paid to do?

#260 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I don't care if it really makes the amount of content go down. Quality over quantity. Just saying, guys...

#261 Edited by DeadPan (313 posts) -

@geirr said:

His wedding is irrelevant to his work life, like normal people he can separate the two. He is not a special case. Not trying to be a dick about it but that's how it is.

#262 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -

@nictel said:

@geirr said:

To add for me personally: I don't have enough free time to watch all of the content

Same here. While I don't have a kid, I do have a wife and sometimes I have to sneak out of bed at weird hours to watch some Late Night Giantbomb "back catalogue".

#263 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

Patrick will produce <blahblahblah>..

His wedding is irrelevant to his work life, like normal people he can separate the two. He is not a special case. Not trying to be a dick about it but that's how it is.

Must be great for normal people! I had some interesting months around my own wedding so I might be apologetic for him in that aspect, but it's not all I'm referring to. I definitely sense him not being around much, but also from "experience" I like to believe he's working on some cool stuff or maybe doing something in the rafters/behind the curtains. Like giving his wife the good brand of Chex and eating the house brand himself.

#264 Posted by jimmyfenix (3811 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

word.

#265 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1159 posts) -

I'm quite content with Ryan-Jeff-Vinny-Brad becoming the norm again on podcasts. I like Patrick's editorials but I find his personality quite off-putting and frankly won't miss it in the podcast/videos. I do agree that the rest of the guys need to be a little more adventurous with the games they try. I like Saints Row 3 as much as the next guy but the high praise of ironic masterpieces while being indifferent to a good deal of other games just out of jadedness does not suit them well anymore. At least Brad is passionate about a game, have a hard time saying that about the rest of them the vast majority of the time.

#267 Edited by StrikeALight (1112 posts) -

So, wait....Patrick is leaving the San Francisco offices?

Only one man is capable of filling his shoes. Dun-dun-dunn!

#269 Edited by Brodehouse (9519 posts) -

I've complained about Patrick, but I would rather he have simply changed his behavior rather than just leave. I'd rather he was less grasping, less officious and didn't talk as if he were an expert about things he's evidently wrong about. I will say that his written work is superior to his video work (in the same case as me, text gives you time to reconsider what you're saying), so maybe the move to Chicago will play to his strengths and downplay his weaknesses.

Also, let's not start with the "it's an odd time, it's summer, there's no games, there's nothing to do". It ruined last summer. Giant Bomb does not need new releases to create exciting content. The dead summer months is when they should be doing ERs, to fill the week.

#270 Posted by madpierrot (67 posts) -

I really, really hope that this means there's a chance that Kessler will be added to the staff. I really liked him when he was an intern, he's really funny on the daily dota, knows the crew, knows how they work, pretty sure he just finished college. I've been hoping that Kessler would be hired by the crew whenever he finished college and with Patrick leaving and them probably in need of another person for video content he'd be great.

#271 Edited by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

My only problem with this is from a financial aspect. If GB can't afford to hire new crew, why would they continue to pay crew who can't contribute to its best content (read: group stuff) Of course, I'm not their accountant, so maybe it totally works.

#272 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

word.

Agreed. Though I still think he IS doing stuff related to the site, just things which don't translate to regular content (whether that is good or not is another matter)

Also, let's not start with the "it's an odd time, it's summer, there's no games, there's nothing to do". It ruined last summer. Giant Bomb does not need new releases to create exciting content. The dead summer months is when they should be doing ERs, to fill the week.

Man, I agree with you SO MUCH. But apparently ERs are a taboo topic.

I suggested earlier that all we really need is dependable serialised content with a purpose. That is what ERs actually are, something you can tune into every day (and know it'll be there), which has some form of progression to it that makes it compelling.

Those same aspects can be replicated by alternate forms of video - such as the Jurassic Lark series or WU/TANG (who knows if either'll ever be seen again), but on a daily schedule.

#273 Posted by ToTheNines (624 posts) -

Patrick is behind 60-70 percent of the content right now. He works really hard and his enthusiasm is obvious. I wasen't his biggest fan in the beginning, obviously I didn't hate him either, now I've actually grown fond of the guy and I appreciate all his work for the site. So I hope it isn't so. I don't believe it is really.

#274 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: Quoting a small portion of an explanation. IGN bashing when it was never brought up.... But, hey, internet right? Get over yourself.

#275 Edited by Soviet666 (287 posts) -

Patrick joined GB = site is dying.
Patrick is (kind of) leaving GB = site is dying.

Make up your minds already.

#276 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -
#277 Posted by Legion_ (1253 posts) -

I'll love Giant Bomb forever, even if they just produce one video a month.

#278 Edited by Fattony12000 (6958 posts) -

Give them a break guys, they've just started up the blog and they don't have much else to review other than energy drinks right now.

#279 Edited by Roger_Klotz (764 posts) -

I wish the other guys would do more editorial pieces keen to what Patrick and Alex do on their Friday and Sunday articles. Just give a little more perspective on what they feel on certain topics in the industry, with a little bit of their personality fused into it. Alex does a great job with this and I always enjoy reading his'guns of navarro' articles. Patrick does a great job with his worth reading and I feel that the rest of the week should include more articles similar to these by other members of the staff.

#280 Edited by Szlifier (478 posts) -

@madpierrot said:

I really, really hope that this means there's a chance that Kessler will be added to the staff. I really liked him when he was an intern, he's really funny on the daily dota, knows the crew, knows how they work, pretty sure he just finished college. I've been hoping that Kessler would be hired by the crew whenever he finished college and with Patrick leaving and them probably in need of another person for video content he'd be great.

Can't we just have it the old way for a moment and see what happens? Give me a break.

Patrick is responsible for a good amount of the QLs right now, because he is responsible for so many of them. When he'll be gone I'm sure the crew will try to keep the weekly amount of video content. There will be just more Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny Quick Looks made.

It's gonna be fine.

EDIT: Turns out he's not in most of them.

#281 Posted by Drebin_893 (2894 posts) -

I wish the other guys would do more editorial pieces keen to what Patrick and Alex do on their Friday and Sunday articles. Just give a little more perspective on what they feel on certain topics in the industry, with a little bit of their personality fused into it. Alex does a great job with this and I always enjoy reading his'guns of navarro' articles. Patrick does a great job with his worth reading and I feel that the rest of the week should include more articles similar to these by other members of the staff.

I could not agree more, I've always found it bizarre how little written content appears on the site. Brad specifically has a really great way of writing, I would love to see more articles from him on the site.

#282 Posted by DeadPan (313 posts) -

@szlifier said:

@madpierrot said:

Can't we just have it the old way for a moment and see what happens? Give me a break.

Patrick is responsible for most of the QLs right now, because he is responsible for so many of them. When he'll be gone I'm sure the crew will try to keep the weekly amount of video content. There will be just more Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny Quick Looks made.

It's gonna be fine.

lol

#283 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

They should bring back Lemon and Kessler now so they can make more Fear Gauntlet videos.

#284 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@humanity said:

Because Penny Arcade managed to get a pretty penny out of their fans for basically the same thing.

#285 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

Bring back Kessler! He quick looked and reviewed a bunch of games that the other guys would never touch, plus his enthusiastic voice is great.

#286 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

BIG BEN I'M LOOKING SQUARE AT YOU. @glentennis FOR 2016.

#287 Posted by Commander_Crichton (153 posts) -

They should bring back Lemon and Kessler now so they can make more Fear Gauntlet videos.

I will remember fire axe, will you remember hoboontheothersideoftheglass.

#288 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -

Being in the same room is very important. Too bad Patrick had to move. It is unfortunately how hard is to create a child this days. Hope for a lot of lets play videos.

#289 Posted by Insectecutor (1176 posts) -

I know it's a long shot, but what about getting Patrick involved in podcasts via Skype?

This is the worst idea. Skype kills podcasts. It makes everything awkward and janky.

#290 Edited by wjb (1621 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Man, I agree with you SO MUCH. But apparently ERs are a taboo topic.

I suggested earlier that all we really need is dependable serialised content with a purpose. That is what ERs actually are, something you can tune into every day (and know it'll be there), which has some form of progression to it that makes it compelling.

Those same aspects can be replicated by alternate forms of video - such as the Jurassic Lark series or WU/TANG (who knows if either'll ever be seen again), but on a daily schedule.

I used to be in the group that "didn't want to force the issue, or, any new ER won't be as good as the previous ones," but whatever. After The Last of Us in mid-June, there isn't a ton of boxed releases until late August. Ideally, there should be an ER twice a year: one in January, maybe, and one during the summer. Even if it's only 20 parts, that's a month of content every weekday.

It goes back to what I said about treating some of the staff like temperamental children. Lately, I have trouble sympathizing with them not wanting to do another ER, but it's not like they made Exile on Main St. or anything. Yeah, nothing is going to be as good as the Persona 4 ER, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not continue doing something several people love (like I said, again, people that pay you to help keep the site running). "I'm sorry people want more of that insanely popular feature you guys did a few times in the past that probably helped you get a ton of subscriptions in the first place." There's got to be something in the past 20 years that one of them might have wanted to play, right?

(If there was another ER, I think it would have to be Vinny and Jeff. I enjoyed the Brad/Ryan Deadly Premonition ER and the Chrono Trigger ER fine, but Brad gets frustrated easily and Ryan will straight-up disregard instructions/clues/etc. If Patrick was still around, I wouldn't mind him. He's not the best at playing video games -- I'm sure he'll be the first to admit that -- but I enjoy the Spookin' with Scoops videos, regardless.)

This is all *constructive criticism*, though. I don't have major issues with what they're doing and will gladly give them $5 a month, but it's like you said, I think they can become better by showing some consistency. Brad has the right idea with DOTA, even though I don't care for DOTA. But other features will be updated once every two months (that is if they even go back to some of the stuff they do) and then someone will have to spend several minutes figuring out how to play the game again (e.g. Bradley May Cry). Or introducing Encyclopedia Bombastica at the beginning of the year and not update it for several weeks. I like the format of doing ILM "guerrilla-style" instead of Ryan in front of green screen, but I also think it encourages this "last-minute" behavior they've been showing for over a year now.

I like Giant Bomb for the personalities, first and foremost, but sometimes I think they should improve on making better commitments. MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL AGAIN, GUYS, LIKE WHEN WE FIRST MET! WE NEVER GO OUT AND SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE YOU AREN'T ATTRACTED TO ME ANYMORE. ~CRIES~

#291 Edited by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

Yeah because planning a wedding is totally easy. There's a ton of shit to do, plan, and consider, and it's super stressful. Now add his normal work schedule on top of that. I know it's cute to think he doesn't do anything, but if anyone really thinks that then they're pretty moronic.

This thread is really showing how shitty this community has become. Or maybe it always has been.

#292 Edited by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@humanity said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@humanity said:

Because Penny Arcade managed to get a pretty penny out of their fans for basically the same thing.

While I don't generally agree with how much money Penny Arcade asks for to record a podcast, Giant Bomb already gets subscriptions, something (as far as I know) Penny Arcade doesn't. Besides, if they can do an endurance run in a dingy, cramped basement on a flea bombed couch, they can do it in their more professional looking workspace where they already have better equipment than they did 4 years ago. They just choose not to do it simply because they are stubborn and don't want to. So if they were to kickstarter it, it'd simply be holding it ransom.

#293 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Has Patrick clarified whether this has anything to do with Yoshi's Island?

#295 Edited by Szlifier (478 posts) -

Has Patrick clarified whether this has anything to do with Yoshi's Island?

No, it's about LEGO Island. Drew just couldn't deal with this ignorance anymore.

#296 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Give them a break guys, they've just started up the blog and they don't have much else to review other than energy drinks right now.

Those were the days

#297 Posted by Clonedzero (4043 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

Yeah because planning a wedding is totally easy. There's a ton of shit to do, plan, and consider, and it's super stressful. Now add his normal work schedule on top of that. I know it's cute to think he doesn't do anything, but if anyone really thinks that then they're pretty moronic.

This thread is really showing how shitty this community has become. Or maybe it always has been.

No. Weddings are easy as fuck to plan. Rent a venue, Get a catering service, do the legal shit, and send out invites. bam done. People make it way harder than it has to be for pathetic reasons that don't really matter. Worrying and stressing over minor details that NO ONE is going to notice or give a shit about. I hate people who go overboard with weddings. "NO THE CAKE HAS TO BE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!" fuck you cunt.

Ive been to alot of weddings and the big deal ones are always lame, and the ones that are a fun blast are the low key ones.

#298 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@minipato: Well I was just curious how many people would be willing to actually pay the "ransom." It would obviously be better to make a poll but I don't think that sort of thread would go over too well, and the mere mention of "Endurance Run" is taboo these days. Despite the fact that each time they do something even slightly similar like Bradley May Cry or BioForge everyone is ecstatic.

@kishinfoulux I think it's worth examining why the community would turn this way. It's a bit silly to think that everything is as awesome as ever and people are become ever more agitated for no good reason. If everything was great we wouldn't have these sort of threads popping up as often as they do with increasing number of long time members voicing their concerns. I'm talking about the civilized people that explain their points of view in a detailed and rational manner of course; not the ones that are just yelling how everything sucks.

#299 Edited by DeadPan (313 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

I think you have failed to grasp my comment. Never disagreed with it being a tough time organising a wedding. But like a person in any job they have to continue doing there normal work as well. There is no excusing it like some people in here seem to be doing with RD

Don't get so butthurt over people calling Ryan/any of the crew out on things. Right or wrong there are things that needs addressing considering we pay to support the website. The GB defence force is just as bad as the people that criticise for no reason.

#300 Posted by jimmyfenix (3811 posts) -

@deadpan said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@deadpan said:

@geirr said:

I think you have failed to grasp my comment. Never disagreed with it being a tough time organising a wedding. But like a person in any job they have to continue doing there normal work as well. There is no excusing it like some people in here seem to be doing with RD

Don't get so butthurt over people calling Ryan/any of the crew out on things. Right or wrong there are things that needs addressing considering we pay to support the website. The GB defence force is just as bad as the people that criticise for no reason.

THIS