#351 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6938 posts) -

@barrock said:

Wait...

This thread is on page 7.

On page 1 someone posted him denying the move. But on tumblr he's saying he's leaving?

What is going on?

I think @mariachimacabre asked Patrick about that before he announced his departure.

Yep. On monday, someone posted a thread about him leaving because it was mentioned on a podcast. @chaser324 and I contacted him on twitter and he denied it (Understandably. He deserved to break the news himself.) so Chaser locked the thread down.

#353 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan said:

You make a good point. I agree it's good to voice any ideas or criticism in a constructive way, but It just seems like people are panicking a little too much. Maybe that's justified and I should be more worried than I am. I don't know, but I definitely agree that there's plenty of potential content that's not been taken advantage of in this dry spell.

I have no idea if the panic is justified either - but I did notice independently of many others that a lot of the interesting content being released during this dry spell can be attributed to the person who is moving away (and hence can't continue to release some of the same kinds of content going forward).

Maybe the fact that a lot of people independently came to the same conclusion is an indicator, but either way - I'd love for there to be some form of acknowledgement from the crew that they do know we have concerns.

Or even better, a radio show-esque thing where the dudes talk about what is going down on their end, so we can at least know wtf is happening. It's been too long since the transparency which made Whiskey so raw and awesome totally clouded over.

#354 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Man this is bad. Patrick's been the driving force behind quick looks for awhile now.

#355 Posted by super2j (1611 posts) -

wow, damn it Patrick, just when I started to really like him (i was neutral before), after I realized the same thing the OP said. Did he explain why he is moving? I also think that maybe this problem will work itself out? After E3 and new console launch, there should be more excitement. Vinny will just be Vinny(he is always awesome), and Brad and his techy side should result in some enthusiasm. I feel like the most tired are Ryan and Jeff. Beyond that, there should be some new blood, which might explain Rorie's presence. I did find that whole thing weird when he just showed up again.

#356 Posted by GreggD (4444 posts) -

@turambar said:

I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree. Out of the entire staff, the bulk of the editorial staff all have a "I give no shits about games outside my personal comfort zone" attitude that is clearly visible.

If that's the case, how do you explain Brad's sudden and deep interest in Dota 2?

#357 Posted by Turambar (6485 posts) -

@greggd said:

@turambar said:

I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree. Out of the entire staff, the bulk of the editorial staff all have a "I give no shits about games outside my personal comfort zone" attitude that is clearly visible.

If that's the case, how do you explain Brad's sudden and deep interest in Dota 2?

Because it's not outside of his personal comfort zone?

#358 Edited by Darson (425 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex said:

@barrock said:

Wait...

This thread is on page 7.

On page 1 someone posted him denying the move. But on tumblr he's saying he's leaving?

What is going on?

I think @mariachimacabre asked Patrick about that before he announced his departure.

Yep. On monday, someone posted a thread about him leaving because it was mentioned on a podcast. @chaser324 and I contacted him on twitter and he denied it (Understandably. He deserved to break the news himself.) so Chaser locked the thread down.

Klepekgate needs to be exposed!

#359 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@turambar said:

@greggd said:

@turambar said:

there is a pretty clear path from Starcraft 2 to DotA 2.

#360 Edited by Chaser324 (5967 posts) -

@darson: The podcast that originally mentioned the move had been on the internet for about a week prior to someone making the thread here, but after Patrick dismissed it, I locked the thread to prevent a new baseless "Patrick's leaving" meme from rising up alongside the obnoxious and played out "Brad's leaving" meme.

As it turns out though, the info about the move was accurate. Hopefully, none of this pressured Patrick into revealing it before he was ready. If it did, I guess I'd feel bad if I was the guy that said something I was told in confidence on a freely available podcast. I prefer to think that it just happened to all come together at the same time Patrick was planning to disclose it.

#361 Posted by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: He said "news to me". Cryptic confirmation that he would be posting about his departure in his news.

#362 Posted by handlas (2551 posts) -

@jz said:

Dave left and took the : random pc game feature, the flight club, the radio show, and quicklooks of Russian games with him. Patrick leaves what is he going to take with him?

Potentially 30% of all quicklooks, coverage of many more obscure games and a lot of positive perspective on the bombcast / other live shows.

And a beautiful set of locks.

#363 Posted by GreggD (4444 posts) -

@animasta said:

@turambar said:

@greggd said:

@turambar said:

there is a pretty clear path from Starcraft 2 to DotA 2.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

#364 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (865 posts) -

Stop subscribing to premium and suddenly they'll start caring. Look at Mark from Classic Game room HD. He only has this Youtube thing going for him and he only gets ad money...yet, he puts out more content than the whole crew combined. He never loses his enthousiasm.

GB-crew got complacent and their fans too. Stop feeding their mounths and see what happens.

#365 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Wow this thread proves no one reads patrick's worth reading thing.

#366 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@greggd said:

@turambar said:

Brad has a deep interest in SC and likes Diablo.. those are games that use the same camera and quite similar controls. DOTA is actually in his comfort zone.

Going into the persona comfort zone I would say Jeff is the worst.. If not a AAA shooter, does not care at all.

#367 Posted by Radish (25 posts) -

They should bring back Lemon and Kessler now so they can make more Fear Gauntlet videos.

This is the most correct thing posted in this thread.

#368 Edited by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

I will definitively miss Patrick on the content, and he definitely drives Quick Looks into interesting games the other staff hasn't paid attention. Even with a surge of energy from the core four (who I actually think are roughly the same as they were in '09, albeit with more ridiculous stories, and Ryan's playing less games) the breadth will somewhat fall to the side.

I'm hoping for a new hire.

#369 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

Stop subscribing to premium and suddenly they'll start caring. Look at Mark from Classic Game room HD. He only has this Youtube thing going for him and he only gets ad money...yet, he puts out more content than the whole crew combined. He never loses his enthousiasm.

GB-crew got complacent and their fans too. Stop feeding their mounths and see what happens.

I get the impression that this is a CBSi thing. The wealth of "meetings" and whatnot that they have to go through on a weekly basis... this isn't something that you heard a ton about at Whiskey.

#370 Posted by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

@jz said:

Fuuuuuck we are going to get like one quicklook a month now.

And it will be a shooter.

#371 Posted by Live2bRighteous (306 posts) -

I'm going to miss Patrick immensely. I still remember the day I created an Xbox live gamertag saying, "ILOVEUPATRICK" just for him to see.

Anywho, I live in Illinois... so might just cross paths one day.

#372 Posted by johncallahan (479 posts) -

I think that a lot of you guys are overreacting. I am going to miss Tricky a lot, a whole hell of a lot. He's easily one of the best things that ever happened to GB. The thing is, he'll continue to be, he'll keep doing Spookin, Bombasticas, etc. Plus he'll show up from time to time, E3's, PAX, and other such things.

As for the rest of the crew, I swear people are so harsh. Sure the content has been slower lately, but we are reaching the end of a console generation. There's very little coming out, and GB hasn't been around for a generational shift yet. Once the PS4/Xbox are out then I bet we'll see a bit more perk in the crews step. Yeah, they'll need to step it up a bit, and they've been doing that in a few ways, Unprofessional Friday is great for example.

Is everything perfect right now? No, but just wait for games to start flowing again, it'll be okay. And for all you people complaining about how you're not getting what you pay for... well... no one is making you subscribe.

#373 Edited by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

I'm going to miss Patrick immensely. I still remember the day I created an Xbox live gamertag saying, "ILOVEUPATRICK" just for him to see.

Anywho, I live in Illinois... so might just cross paths one day.

Don't forget, dude's married. So don't be going getting any ideas, Mr. ILOVEUPATRICK.

#374 Edited by Veiasma (194 posts) -

The sky didn't fall when they went to CBSi, and it won't fall when Patrick leaves for Chicago.

Relax folks.

#375 Posted by Kidable (124 posts) -

I think that a lot of you guys are overreacting. I am going to miss Tricky a lot, a whole hell of a lot. He's easily one of the best things that ever happened to GB. The thing is, he'll continue to be, he'll keep doing Spookin, Bombasticas, etc. Plus he'll show up from time to time, E3's, PAX, and other such things.

As for the rest of the crew, I swear people are so harsh. Sure the content has been slower lately, but we are reaching the end of a console generation. There's very little coming out, and GB hasn't been around for a generational shift yet. Once the PS4/Xbox are out then I bet we'll see a bit more perk in the crews step. Yeah, they'll need to step it up a bit, and they've been doing that in a few ways, Unprofessional Friday is great for example.

Is everything perfect right now? No, but just wait for games to start flowing again, it'll be okay. And for all you people complaining about how you're not getting what you pay for... well... no one is making you subscribe.

Weren't GB one of the only sites to livestream a Wii U launch day unpackaging? Albeit it was a bit of a train wreck with updating software and internet crashes etc. But it still managed to be entertaining and showed that they really cared about providing content for something exciting on Day 1. The PS4 stream also. And I bet the 720 reveal tomorrow will be amazing too.

Giant Bomb still do a bang up job of creating content where there's enough pasture happening in the gaming industry for them to play off. I don't really know what people expect from them. They can't MAKE exciting things happen.

#376 Posted by ZedsDeadBaby (82 posts) -

Best post in the thread.

#377 Edited by Nethlem (349 posts) -

@jz said:

Wow this thread proves no one reads patrick's worth reading thing.

Or it's just another confirmation that most people visit GB solely for video/audio content, of which there hopefully won't be less with Patrick gone. But if i want to "read" stuff, there are quite a few other places that have way more regular and worthwhile content in that regard.

I've never been a huge fan of Patrick myself, but i still wish him all the best! Also June 20th is my birthday, kind of an odd present ;)

Let's look at the positive side of things: Maybe this will actually result in more content created in the end? With Patrick gone, maybe they will hire somebody new? Maybe some video guy so Vinny can spent more time being awesome in-front of the camera? Add to that Patrick still doing his things (scoopin, his jar-time) this could maybe result in even more video content ending up on the site.

So let's wait and see how all of this ends up before we declare the Giant Bombcalypse.

#378 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Oh man, Patrick is moving. It's the end of Giant Bomb as we know it!

#379 Posted by Spectreman (228 posts) -

They are getting old. I know the sensation. We try deny, but everyone else around you are having children and only talking about adults things.

#380 Edited by Griffinmills (125 posts) -

They are getting old. I know the sensation. We try deny, but everyone else around you are having children and only talking about adults things.

Incredibly insightful, in my opinion. Despite the fact that aging is, obviously, an analog process this analog aspect actually tends to hide the effects until an event happens to highlight them. This can be looking in the mirror and noticing that grey hair for the first time or trying to plan a party event and finding attendance is poor due to everybody having real life commitments involving their burgeoning family. You adjust and strive forward as best you can. Sometimes you can lend a hand to those around you experiencing life just like you and they may return those favors. Then one day you plan another party and their are more people than ever because those friends have found time now and brought their kids with them.

Wow this was pretty hippy-dippy. I apologize in advance but it is my experience. How does it apply to the tread topic? Patrick can't come to the party anymore but he may again some day and in the mean time he will keep in touch and send us funny links to check out. Vinny may be sorely taxed by young Max right now but someday we may see a Father/Son endurance run!

#381 Posted by WickedFather (1714 posts) -

Maybe he's been stifling them and they'll have space to breathe when he moves away.

#382 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Patrick is leaving? There is a god.

#383 Edited by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

Yeah. Being enthusastic and energetic in that way is something you simply just are in your 20ies. Thats normal.

Too bad he is leaving. He certainly explored new topics. That being said his and my gametaste don't overlap much. I was just starting to get excited about the Eve coverage etc. as a stark contrast to the Japan/Nintendo-rubbish he is in usually.

#384 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1569 posts) -

I'm impressed that Brad finally got into DotA 2, as someone on the crew needed to be informed about MOBAs. They're not going anywhere, and it would have done no favors to the crew to be dismissive and uninterested in something so large in the gaming community.

But, yeah, I'm really going to miss Patrick, for exactly the reasons originally listed. He's been great at exploring all the different aspects of gaming with enthusiasm and curiosity .

#385 Edited by EmuLeader (556 posts) -

@bocam said:
@big_jon said:

I would really like to see a new endurance run though, I am annoyed at how resistant the staff seems to them, I think one a year is perfectly reasonable and the are just enjoyable to watch.

They've been doing Endurance Runs. They're just Premium only

Those aren't Endurance Runs. You make it sound so cynical as if they took something away from non members. The "Endurance Run" you are talking about was more in the style of the old Random PC Game content, where they just kind of do it whenever they get some free time.

#386 Posted by bmccann42 (57 posts) -

What about bringing in someone like Jenn Frank? I would love to see a Giant Bomb Next Generation (I have a picture in my head of the cover from the second Generation of X-Men) with Brad Muir, Justin McElroy, John Drake, Eric Pope, and let's say Carrie Gouskos.

Crazy I know.