Wizards with knives

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Bad Company 2 is a game which can only really be reviewed over a period of time.

The multiplayer component evolves around the progressive understanding of it's playerbase. The more time you spend in the lush wastelands of BC2's dazzling warfare, the more endearing the game becomes. The tantalising weapon unlocks are fairly shortlived, most can be attained within a reasonable period of time. There is none of this prestige bollocks or ridiculous weed-themed callsigns. You shoot people, they shoot back. Simple.

There are beefs with the game, oh yes indeed. The server browser is a pain in the ass, taking ridiculously long to load and being generally unresponsive. Adding friends and joining their games is handled by the games own client which is pathetic compared to the Steam system (although to be fair a lot of people don't use steam, for some reason). The voice chat in-game is limited to your squad which means groups of over 4 can't talk to each other without depending on vent or teamspeak. The "play now" button on the homepage seldom works, often telling me the game it was trying to connect me to is full. Oh, and there is no autobalance, so if a team is helplessly outnumbered there is very little chance that anyone else is going to feel charitable and swap over.

No Caption Provided

And yet... and yet I fucking love this game. It's an experience both buzzing with intensity but also beautifully mellow. There's a nice maturity to it. Bad company 2, for all its insanity, is a game with a firm anchor to reality. Whilst perks may slightly alter your class there is nothing that can make you teleport through the air like a fucking wizard and stab someone in the back. There is a simplicity to it's tactics and performance that is highly appreciated after months of Modern Warfare 2.

So anyways, that concludes my Bad Company 2 rambling. What else did I do recently?

Oh yeh.

I jumped back in to Champions Online this weekend. They did a free promotional weekend and I still had the game installed for some reason so I figured it couldn't hurt. Frustratingly, almost immediately after entering the game I experienced the same twangs of disappointment echoed from my previous encounters. I spent almost an hour tweaking sliders and navigating menus trying to get my hero (a hulking toad with antlers) perfect. Upon doing so I was dumped in the noobie zone of the game and given a very basic set of powers. I can breathe fire, I can jump 100ft in the air, I can bend object with pure brain power. I can't beat 2 wolves in a fight because they are apparently 3 levels higher than me. They weren't even radioactive or anything. Just standard fucking wolves. Having created the perfect hero, the discovery of just how useless he was is so underwhelming. The journey to level 40 is not one I relish and, consequently, not one I plan on actually making.

This guy is apparently level 5. That means he's the Champions Online equivalent of a fucking Magikarp.
 This guy is apparently level 5. That means he's the Champions Online equivalent of a fucking Magikarp.

PENULTIMATELY

I watched Kick-Ass yesterday. It was surprisingly good. The acting was ok, the girls were hot, there was a minimal amount of pretentious bullshit. It was a little dark at times, but also a goofy sense of humour which worked. It's pretty funny. And no, not Spiderman 3 funny. 

LASTLY

I went to VOA last week in World Of Warcraft. It was a 10-man raid, I went as a healer (Holy priest. I know, Sweep plays as Priest. Gotta love that irony). I screwed up healing so bad I single-handedly wiped the raid 3 times. The other 9 players then went back to Dalaran and spammed general chat for about an hour telling everyone in the server what a shit healer I was. Now nobody will let me join their groups.

I'm fucking famous!

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Bad Company 2 is a game which can only really be reviewed over a period of time.

The multiplayer component evolves around the progressive understanding of it's playerbase. The more time you spend in the lush wastelands of BC2's dazzling warfare, the more endearing the game becomes. The tantalising weapon unlocks are fairly shortlived, most can be attained within a reasonable period of time. There is none of this prestige bollocks or ridiculous weed-themed callsigns. You shoot people, they shoot back. Simple.

There are beefs with the game, oh yes indeed. The server browser is a pain in the ass, taking ridiculously long to load and being generally unresponsive. Adding friends and joining their games is handled by the games own client which is pathetic compared to the Steam system (although to be fair a lot of people don't use steam, for some reason). The voice chat in-game is limited to your squad which means groups of over 4 can't talk to each other without depending on vent or teamspeak. The "play now" button on the homepage seldom works, often telling me the game it was trying to connect me to is full. Oh, and there is no autobalance, so if a team is helplessly outnumbered there is very little chance that anyone else is going to feel charitable and swap over.

No Caption Provided

And yet... and yet I fucking love this game. It's an experience both buzzing with intensity but also beautifully mellow. There's a nice maturity to it. Bad company 2, for all its insanity, is a game with a firm anchor to reality. Whilst perks may slightly alter your class there is nothing that can make you teleport through the air like a fucking wizard and stab someone in the back. There is a simplicity to it's tactics and performance that is highly appreciated after months of Modern Warfare 2.

So anyways, that concludes my Bad Company 2 rambling. What else did I do recently?

Oh yeh.

I jumped back in to Champions Online this weekend. They did a free promotional weekend and I still had the game installed for some reason so I figured it couldn't hurt. Frustratingly, almost immediately after entering the game I experienced the same twangs of disappointment echoed from my previous encounters. I spent almost an hour tweaking sliders and navigating menus trying to get my hero (a hulking toad with antlers) perfect. Upon doing so I was dumped in the noobie zone of the game and given a very basic set of powers. I can breathe fire, I can jump 100ft in the air, I can bend object with pure brain power. I can't beat 2 wolves in a fight because they are apparently 3 levels higher than me. They weren't even radioactive or anything. Just standard fucking wolves. Having created the perfect hero, the discovery of just how useless he was is so underwhelming. The journey to level 40 is not one I relish and, consequently, not one I plan on actually making.

PENULTIMATELY

I watched Kick-Ass yesterday. It was surprisingly good. The acting was ok, the girls were hot, there was a minimal amount of pretentious bullshit. It was a little dark at times, but also a goofy sense of humour which worked. It's pretty funny. And no, not Spiderman 3 funny. 

LASTLY

I went to VOA last week in World Of Warcraft. It was a 10-man raid, I went as a healer (Holy priest. I know, Sweep plays as Priest. Gotta love that irony). I screwed up healing so bad I single-handedly wiped the raid 3 times. The other 9 players then went back to Dalaran and spammed general chat for about an hour telling everyone in the server what a shit healer I was. Now nobody will let me join their groups.

I'm fucking famous!

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

What do you mean "not Spiderman 3 funny"? That's akin to insulting Angry Beavers, because, as I have said many times before, it rips off an episode of said cartoon. (I can't find the episode, so just trust me on that.)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King said:
" What do you mean "not Spiderman 3 funny"? That's akin to insulting Angry Beavers, because, as I have said many times before, it rips off an episode of said cartoon. (I can't find the episode, so just trust me on that.) "
I trust you. I do. But no matter how many times you tell me, Spiderman 3 will still be a fucking terrible film.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sweep: 

I...agree with you there. Mainly because of the aforementioned post thing.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

What kind of rotation and setup are you using as a priest? As a fellow Holy Priest, I could easily throw some "Tips and hints" your way, as it were.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Fallen189 said:
" What kind of rotation and setup are you using as a priest? As a fellow Holy Priest, I could easily throw some "Tips and hints" your way, as it were. "
Well, at the time I was drunk specced.

I have no idea what "rotation" means. I can heal fine most of the time, I healed my way to 80. It was my first time in a raid (ever) and nobody explained to me what I should be doing. Also my gear was kinda shit. I use Healbot, which apparently is bad but I have no problems with it. It's the fastest way of reacting to status changes.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
Good blog, I wish I could be playing BF BC 2 more but between school and being sick all the time I've had very little time. :(
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Oni
@Sweep said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" What kind of rotation and setup are you using as a priest? As a fellow Holy Priest, I could easily throw some "Tips and hints" your way, as it were. "
Well, at the time I was drunk specced.  I have no idea what "rotation" means. I can heal fine most of the time, I healed my way to 80. It was my first time in a raid (ever) and nobody explained to me what I should be doing. Also my gear was kinda shit. I use Healbot, which apparently is bad but I have no problems with it. It's the fastest way of reacting to status changes. "
Ouch. I guess I'd recommend reading up on what a holy priest should actually do, plenty of websites for that kind of thing. Also before going into a raid, read up on tactics. Yeah it's a pain in the ass, but necessary to avoid events like you described above. People generally aren't very patient when it comes to explaining tactics in PuGs. That's what guilds are for.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I did read the tactics, but it's hard to read the tactics for an entire raid and remember it all in a live fire environment. 

I know how to heal. I know what I should be doing. I just have problems actually doing it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike
@Sweep: Back when I played WoW, I always liked the idea of being a healer, but I knew I couldn't pull it off. It was too much just to manage my DPS & CC as a warlock, let alone worry about every other dude in the raid. I don't know how they do it.
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brunchies

If you are in a good guild I think they will help you with healing in raids and heroics if they ignored those 9 people who wasted time spamming.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@MB said:

" @Sweep: Back when I played WoW, I always liked the idea of being a healer, but I knew I couldn't pull it off. It was too much just to manage my DPS & CC as a warlock, let alone worry about every other dude in the raid. I don't know how they do it. "

I use healbot. Instead of clicking on a dude then clicking on the spell i want, I can just click on his health bar. My screen looks a bit like this: 
No Caption Provided
  http://i43.tinypic.com/23iiaa1.jpg 

Also please note how some hero kited Anachronos into Org. What a legend.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By DanielJW
@Sweep: Duuuuude... that screen shot just made me want to play WoW again.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Dalai
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pwnasaurus

i demand mention in this blog where would you bein battlefield without your fellow giant bomb comrades?
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Sunny used Splash!
But nothing happened!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jmrwacko
@Oni said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Fallen189 said:
Well, at the time I was drunk specced.  I have no idea what "rotation" means. I can heal fine most of the time, I healed my way to 80. It was my first time in a raid (ever) and nobody explained to me what I should be doing. Also my gear was kinda shit. I use Healbot, which apparently is bad but I have no problems with it. It's the fastest way of reacting to status changes. "
Ouch. I guess I'd recommend reading up on what a holy priest should actually do, plenty of websites for that kind of thing. Also before going into a raid, read up on tactics. Yeah it's a pain in the ass, but necessary to avoid events like you described above. People generally aren't very patient when it comes to explaining tactics in PuGs. That's what guilds are for. "
I recommend to stop playing WoW. Really. Go Bad Company 2, full time. Make faces hurt with a sniper rifle.
BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By BackpackKat

How did you watch Kick-Ass, I though tit didnt come out for another few weeks. Did you have to sell your your soul or do you have a time machine, because those are the only options I can think off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

VoA is so last year.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@pwnasaurus:  have you finished downloading company of heroes? Add me as a friend on it: SexualInfection

@JohnAsscream: I don't know it was showing at my local cinema so I went to watch it. No time travel or dark magic was involved.

@DanielJW: I can, if required, provide you with screenshots that make you not want to play wow again.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Belonpopo

Point in the direction of the wizards with knives.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capum15
@Sweep: 

I absolutely love those videos. Seeing that giant demon dude (can't remember the name) with the sword, wings, and Shadowbolt Spam wipe out Stormwind is hilarious.

Oh, and that Magikarp thing made me lol loudly.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Astras
@Sweep:  Go back to wow... get better gear, update your UI with decursive etc.. learn your class. Come back when you have properly played an MMORPG with a valid point.
DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaemonicGrim
@Astras: to be fair, he did say he was drunk spec...

I feel I need to defend Sweep a tiny bit here (since he's doing a crap job of it himself) but he did actually explain to me what happened on each of the three wipes and I'm pretty sure only one was directly his fault and nobody elses.

And now that I've been nice, I shall be cruel... Healbot? really... for a raid? ewwww. I've only ever pally healed as offspec but I know that I loathe addons... I just pull down all the raid panes (because the ingame interface has advanced shitloads since the olden days of WoW and is genuinely worthy of regular use) and keep my fingers over the right number keys for whatever heal/purify/buff I need at the time. It's just as fast as healbot but you get to choose the spell yourself rather than hoping your healbot config is good enough for that encounter.

I must get BF:BC2... no... I must have money... dammit! Maybe I could not eat for a week or two...
Sick of the teleport knifing so maybe BC2 is what I need...
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@DanielJW: Here is why you shouldn't play wow anymore: 

Astras Said:

"@Sweep:  Go back to wow... get better gear, update your UI with decursive etc.. learn your class. Come back when you have properly played an MMORPG with a valid point."

How about you come back with a valid penis.  
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

A tip for the server browser in BFBC2 , don't wait for them to load click "cancel" after about 5 seconds, the servers will still show up in like 1-2 seconds.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Tennmuerti said:
" A tip for the server browser in BFBC2 , don't wait for them to load click "cancel" after about 5 seconds, the servers will still show up in like 1-2 seconds. "
Yeah I realized that the other day. Weird o___O

It still isn't showing me pings for most of the servers though. That's also very annoying.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Astras
@Sweep said:

" @DanielJW: Here is why you shouldn't play wow anymore: 

Astras Said:

"@Sweep:  Go back to wow... get better gear, update your UI with decursive etc.. learn your class. Come back when you have properly played an MMORPG with a valid point."

How about you come back with a valid penis.   "
i'm not even sure what this means??? :P
You can't expect to go into 10 mans if you have no gear and do a healing job... heroic badge gear is more than enough for OS, VoA, eye, Ulduar, Onix and depending on what else some of ICC, it just takes a bit of time to get it.. although 5 mans can be run in 15 mins with how maxed everyones gear is now.
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By makari

I sorta just started playing WoW as well last month or so, also playing a priest. I got picked up by a raiding guild randomly, I accepted for a laugh since I was only in my 70's at the time, but turns out they're a good bunch of guys. I've been leaning toward holy spec and gear since, and I have the say the difference between healing well and poorly in a raid situation depends wholly on your gear. The usual healing tactics work the same (renew, flash heal, remove magic/disease, circle of healing spam in high AoE situations), it's just you need to do them about 9001 times more and 9001 times longer  than in a 5man, and if you have bad gear for the encounter you're just not gonna do enough healing or have enough mana to keep up, sadly.

I sorta loathed doing it at first cos of the epeen aura it exudes, but the mod 'GearScore Lite' it a good way to check if you're geared enough for certain encounters. If your gearscore isn't getting close to 5000, most endgame raids seem to be out of your reach. You can reach close to 5000 by doing random 5 man heroics and buying a tier 9 set, and if you're not getting decent drops through lack of luck, you can convert the triumph tokens into lower-end tokens and buy some decent epics to fill in the spots you're missing. If you're in a guild, organise some Ice Crown Citadel 5man farming runs with some people. The gear in there is of tier 9 quality and can fill the gaps unavailable from tokenspam.

Not to sound like a stalker or anything, but I also tried Champions with a few friends recently. It reminds me a lot of City of Heroes (not surprisingly) which I sorta had a soft spot for back in the day. Game has a bit of heart and I wanna like it, but I can't say my time with it thus far has been stellar due to the new update sorta screwing a lot of things up connection-and-interface-wise. The powers are also all over the place... Some are insanely powerful while others are borderline useless in comparison. Skill resets cost so much that picking the right powers is paramount, but so many of them are terrible and hard to gauge that it becomes really annoying to have to hump the powerhouse for a couple of hours just to find something halfway decent that may or may not actually be good out in the field.

Tomat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tomat

I think part of the problem is that you're using healbot. Not to sound mean but it doesn't sound like you know how to play your class, you know how to click a health bar and let an addon do the rest for you. As for the raid bit, Im not a big raider but I would recommend trying to find a casual raiding guild so you can ease your way into different encounters.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Rowr

great blog, this was one of my favourites to read in a while.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Tomat said:
" I think part of the problem is that you're using healbot. Not to sound mean but it doesn't sound like you know how to play your class, you know how to click a health bar and let an addon do the rest for you. As for the raid bit, Im not a big raider but I would recommend trying to find a casual raiding guild so you can ease your way into different encounters. "
I asked for alternatives and people tell me should use grid with a load of different settings, or that I should have macros so I can click on the player bars on the left side of the screen to cast. Healbot basically does all that for me. I get told I shouldn't use healbot all the time but I have tried a load of alternatives and healbot seems by far the easiest and most efficient to use.

@makari said:
"The usual healing tactics work the same (renew, flash heal, remove magic/disease, circle of healing spam in high AoE situations), it's just you need to do them about 9001 times more and 9001 times longer  than in a 5man, and if you have bad gear for the encounter you're just not gonna do enough healing or have enough mana to keep up, sadly.  I sorta loathed doing it at first cos of the epeen aura it exudes, but the mod 'GearScore Lite' it a good way to check if you're geared enough for certain encounters. If your gearscore isn't getting close to 5000, most endgame raids seem to be out of your reach. You can reach close to 5000 by doing random 5 man heroics and buying a tier 9 set, and if you're not getting decent drops through lack of luck, you can convert the triumph tokens into lower-end tokens and buy some decent epics to fill in the spots you're missing. If you're in a guild, organise some Ice Crown Citadel 5man farming runs with some people. The gear in there is of tier 9 quality and can fill the gaps unavailable from tokenspam."
I have already been doing all this. I was undergeared for VoA (4050 GS) but still, not by much.
Tomat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tomat

I would recommend VuhDO, its another healing addon but its a cross between Healbot and Grid. It has a similar style to grid, but you can still bind keys and mouse buttons to automatically cast a spell on a player's health bar. If a player takes a lot of damage in one hit their health bar will flash, to let you know, and you can have icons in the health bars to let you know whether or not you have a Healing over Time Spell on them or some other spell.

For instance, I have my left mouse button set to "Target" that way I just click on someone's health bar and cast a spell like normal, but at the same time I have my Mouse Scroll Up set to a cure poison, and my Mouse Scroll Down set to a remove curse spell. It's a nice little inbetween, but the only downside is it will take some configuring. (There are some tutorials on how to set it up here:  http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=VuhDo+Tutorial&search_type=&aq=f )

For some guides on different healing methods you can also check out the Priest forums on the official WoW website, and the priest forums on the MMO-Champion website among other places.

Like I said I'm not a big raider so I may not give out the best advice, and you may not want to do this stuff because you're just not -that- into the game, which is perfectly. If you are interested though, I think these have the potential to help you out a bit.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crunchUK
@Belonpopo said:
" Point in the direction of the wizards with knives. "
Gandalf the black? No... thats racist 

Oh and the more you play BC2 the more you realize how unbalanced and poorly designed it is, is what you meant to say.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Fallen189

Healing was too much pressure, I swapped to my DK. Now I miss my priest...

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok

This is why you play a Rogue. When things go to shit and everyone around you starts dying, you just use vanish and slink away leaving everyone to die.

I do this on a regular basis while in randoms.