#1 Edited by Great__defunct__Northern (127 posts) -

http://allthingsd.com/20120315/exclusive-bermanbraun-buys-most-of-shelby-bonnies-whiskey-media/

In a deal that was just signed, longtime Silicon Valley exec Shelby Bonnie has sold his social publishing start-up, Whiskey Media, to Santa Monica-based entertainment and interactive production company BermanBraun.

As part of the deal, BermanBraun will get three key sites of San Francisco-based Whiskey, including video entertainment-focused Screened, tech-testing site Tested and Anime Vice, which covers anime and manga comics. It will also acquire Whiskey’s content publishing platform.

Two other sites owned by Whiskey — games-oriented Giant Bomb and comic book database Comic Vine — will be sold to another media company, which is rumored to be CBS Interactive.

Heaped on top of the niche content, aimed at passionate fans, Whiskey mixes in a lot of social networking, as well as user-generated content, along with its professional fare.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

But the major reason for the acquisition is that BermanBraun — which also makes popular sites for large portals such as Microsoft’s MSN (the Wonderwall celebrity site and Glo, aimed at the women’s lifestyle arena) and AOL (upcoming sites on weather, men and pets) — needs to be able to scale its online content production. The Whiskey platform should be able to allow it to more easily grown and create new sites more quickly, as well as mine data across them.

“With the addition of Whiskey’s first rate team and powerful, state of the art publishing, data and social tools platform, we will be able to further enhance our user experience and engagement, and provide our advertising partners with unparalleled data insights,” said Lloyd Braun and Gail Berman, who run BermanBraun, in a statement. “One of the other great parts of this acquisition is that we will have Shelby Bonnie in our lives. We have enormous respect for Shelby personally and professionally, and his insights, relationships and acumen will be invaluable to us.”

Bonnie, who was once CEO of CNET, which he helped found, added: “I have had the pleasure of knowing both Lloyd and Gail for years and they are two incredibly high integrity people who bring passion and creativity to the interactive space. As we see a dramatic changes in the whole media landscape, success will demand new skills and talents. BermanBraun’s content skills and vision joined with the Whiskey platform will create a combination that I believe is without equal. I couldn’t be more excited for the combination.”

#2 Posted by mtcantor (922 posts) -

I am not sure how to feel about this.

When will we get the obligatory "Don't worry guys, everything will be fine, and this will mean even more opportunities for us in the future" post?

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Whiskey Media disassembled!

FUCK!

#4 Posted by isles (232 posts) -

Trying not to get too overly dramatic until we hear from the guys but everything points to the end of the Whiskey dream. ;(

#5 Edited by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

Holy shit. I don't want to think bad thoughts right off the bat, but something tells me this pancake breakfast won't be as tasty as I was hoping it to be.

Edit: Actually, it wasn't bad! I'm optimistic about the whole thing now and am glad John Davison will be involved somewhat! Congrats Giant Bomb!

#6 Posted by digy (4 posts) -

I can only think of anthony anderson from harold and kumar go to white castle.

#7 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

CBS Interactive owns Gamespot.

#8 Posted by omghisam (276 posts) -

CBS Interactive is CNET and Gamespot.

#9 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

Sweet, I hope there will be Two and a Half Men ads on this site.

#10 Posted by Spiritof (1989 posts) -

The best excuse anyone could have given me to get totally sauced on St. Patty's Day.

#11 Posted by Great__defunct__Northern (127 posts) -

@omghisam said:

/cry

#12 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

If this is real, then all hope is lost.

#13 Edited by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

EVERYONE PANIC!

#14 Posted by mtcantor (922 posts) -

How is this going to affect premium subscribers?

#15 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

They are breaking whiskey up, I don't like this at all. and back to CBS???/ How much autonomy will giantbomb get?

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2075 posts) -

@Claude said:

Better make a better Dog Days review Jeff

#17 Posted by Electric_Zen (77 posts) -

My biggest concern here is that Dave and his technology are being separated from its primary consumer, Giant Bomb. GB is very dependent on the publishing platform, and I'm not crazy about organizational firewalls being put up between them.

#18 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

This is not exciting news.

#19 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why would somebody buy Anime Vice.

#20 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

FIRST MASS EFFECT 3 AND NOW THIS MY LIFE IS FALLING APART AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#21 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

OH FUCK THEY'RE SPLITTING? Noooooooooooooo!

#22 Posted by Vexxan (4600 posts) -

I don't like where this is going.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (22762 posts) -
@omghisam

Oh, god damn it.
#24 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

And now it has come full circle.

#25 Posted by subyman (562 posts) -

Oh wow. I wonder if Jeff and the guys are breaking off again? Hopefully they don't have a non-compete with whiskey or it could be years.

#26 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Are they going to merge the forums with GameFAQs?

The potential horrors are endless.

#27 Posted by BlackLagoon (1325 posts) -

Hoping for the best... Though I suppose the Giant Bomb brand has acquired some degree of value, anybody with a brain can see that it's guys running it that actually make it what it is, and that they're central to keeping the site going. A bit of a bummer we're unlikely to see more guest appearances from the other Wiskey sites :(

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So what does this all mean? How much will change? What will stay the same? 

#29 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Giantgamespot.com

#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

At least they are not going under guys, thats good news. Going back to CBS might be hard for them but hopefully they are earnest in the live vidoe

#31 Posted by dropkickpikachu (39 posts) -

@Claude said:

Ahahahaha there is no justice in this world.

#32 Edited by Juno500 (381 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

How is this going to affect premium subscribers?

Funny enough, the other day I was considering subscribing. Now I'm glad I hesitated.

#33 Posted by AnxiousTube (173 posts) -

Dude it's 2012, this is THE END!!!

#34 Posted by alternate (2655 posts) -

If CBS does buy it - not certain - then the only saving grace is that Jon Davison runs all their games stuff and he knows not to kill off a going concern. Can see a more resources vs. less freedom thing happening though.

#35 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2999 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

#36 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

What the hell?

Why are they splitting Screened and Tested from Giantbomb? Liver stream soon hopefully they will talk about this.

#37 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

So they bought the failing websites purely for the overlay?

Meh, as long as nothing changes it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll wait to see how this pans out before I renew my subscription.

#38 Posted by VIGGO123 (552 posts) -

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! WHY IS EVERYONE SCREAMING!!!

#39 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Giantgamespot.com

I'm down.

#40 Posted by Pie (6937 posts) -

Uhhh

#41 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Holy shit.

#42 Posted by Daveyo520 (6598 posts) -

Will they even be allowed to do stuff with the other sites? I am guessing no.

#43 Posted by redrohX (48 posts) -

What's up with them not doing stuff in the office anymore (and the food)?

#44 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

DOES THIS MEAN DAVE WON'T BE WITH GIANTBOMB ANYMORE

#45 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1636 posts) -

No... Tested and Screened... No awesome basement... Oh god...

#46 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

This sounds worrisome. Which side is Dave going to in the split? D:

Edit: Nevermind, Dave is along for the ride.

#47 Posted by Morningstar (2061 posts) -

This does look bleak =(

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21514 posts) -

WHAT THE FUCK?

I mean, grats to the guys for making the site this big, but SPLITTING UP WHISKEY MEDIA? WHAT THE FUCK?!

I feel so fucking crushed right now.

#49 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

THEY'RE GOING BACK TO GAMESPOT. GIANTBOMB IS FUCKING OVER

#50 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

What?