• 56 results
#1 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3909 posts) -

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs.

Two current and next-gen titles being released at the same time for four current and next-gen systems, both released by the same publisher, and both sandbox titles with similar gameplay elements. Is this really such a good idea?

If they were released within a few months of each other, I'd quite likely get both. As it is now, I'll likely only pick up whichever gets better reviews and looks best to me personally at launch, which so far is probably going to be Watch Dogs.

Anyone else feel the same?

#2 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

Competitive releases cannot really be helped at launch, so it might be something that happens just this year. It is a little competition, but considering how few other options their are I would imagine Ubi will still come out ahead.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9534 posts) -

I've considered the same thing. I do get the feeling they may impact each other. Though, they must have worked out some crazy math that shows it will even out for them. Perhaps Watchdogs' day 1 release with the next gen consoles will get it extra attention, and they may be banking on AC fandom pulling through regardless of their interest in Watchdogs. It does seem like conventional wisdom would say the two games will hinder each other, but hey, crazier things have happened than two similar games released around the same time doing quite well.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3115 posts) -

I think they're different enough that it won't be an issue. I plan on getting both.

#5 Posted by BigJeffrey (5169 posts) -

Ass Creed and Watch_Dogs will sell regardless

#6 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3909 posts) -

Ass Creed and Watch_Dogs will sell regardless

Yes. Will they sell as much as they would have if one of them were released in March 2014? That's hard to say.

#7 Posted by Shoey920 (57 posts) -

Established franchise or not, I think Watch_Dogs sells more than any other launch game.

I don't have high hopes for ACIV, but I might pick it up later on when they do a price cut.

#8 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Both will do really well, since honestly, they're probably the best looking launch titles. Though i'm not entirely convinced on AC4. It looks good, but i've been burned by that series before.

I'll second the "I might get AC4 when its cheaper" notion. Watch_Dogs is absolutely a game i get with my PS4.

#9 Posted by BoOzak (999 posts) -

I think the lack of good first party games at launch for next gen consoles will help them both sell well. Regardless of how similiar they may be.

#10 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Doesn't really matter to me, because I've just played AC3, which reminded me that I flippin' hate the AC franchise.

I made a beeline through the overlong tutorial, which I enjoyed quite a bit - but damn, as soon as I engaged the open world thereafter, all the artifice and systemic annoyance of its design, the shallow auto-pilot nature of it, the puerile naivete of its fiction - it all managed to kill it for me in a single afternoon. I suffered through four Assassin's Creed games before AC3, and I won't suffer through a sixth - no matter how enticing it looks to me. In the end, it's clear that it will manage to bore and annoy me.

Watch_Dogs it is for me, if anything. Yet again, it's an Ubisoft game of the same school - and somehow I just don't believe they're capable of making open world games that don't annoy the shit out of me. Oh well, it's a debut, so I probably won't be able to help myself, if the buzz is good enough.

That said, yes, I think AC4 and Watch_Dogs will cannibalize each other's audience. Though there's likely going to be more just buying both, because people who like Ubisoft's brand of open world game, really love it. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

While your post does bring to mind the disastrous holiday season that befell Beyond Good & Evil (released the same season as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), I don't think that this situation will turn out the same way. Watch_Dogs has had pretty good marketing, and Assassin's Creed IV is a recognized name, even if that name has been tarnished by the reception to ACIII. That's not to say that Watch_Dogs in particular won't "bomb" though. Publishers have this weird tendency as of late to expect ludicrous sales numbers out of their AAA games if they have any hope of breaking even. I have no idea what Watch_Dogs cost to produce, and so it might not be the same situation as, say, Tomb Raider, but there is the possibility that it could sell well and still fail to meet corporate expectations.

#12 Edited by RonGalaxy (3301 posts) -

I don't think it will have that big of an impact.

For me, it's like this. I'm waiting on reviews for AC4 either way, but for WD, I wanna see how different the current and next gen versions are. I'm not going to get a next gen console until after e3 2014 (by then we'll all have a much better understanding of where things stand between the XBO and PS4... On all fronts). So if the current gen version is fine, I'm getting that close to release. If not, I guess I won't be playing Watch Dogs for a while.

#13 Edited by TruthTellah (9534 posts) -

@hailinel said:

While your post does bring to mind the disastrous holiday season that befell Beyond Good & Evil (released the same season as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), I don't think that this situation will turn out the same way. Watch_Dogs has had pretty good marketing, and Assassin's Creed IV is a recognized name, even if that name has been tarnished by the reception to ACIII. That's not to say that Watch_Dogs in particular won't "bomb" though. Publishers have this weird tendency as of late to expect ludicrous sales numbers out of their AAA games if they have any hope of breaking even. I have no idea what Watch_Dogs cost to produce, and so it might not be the same situation as, say, Tomb Raider, but there is the possibility that it could sell well and still fail to meet corporate expectations.

Ubisoft has stated that they expect over 6 million sales for Watch_Dogs, surpassing the original AC. So, if it gets somewhere closer to 3-4 million like Tomb Raider, it may indeed be considered a failure for them. Which, to me, is insane, but hey, maybe they can somehow pull it off if it's really that good.

#14 Posted by TheHT (12003 posts) -

I don't think so. Folks who still want more Neck Stab Simulator will get Assassin's Creed, folks who are tired of Assassin's Creed will probably get W@tch_Dog$. Then there's the folks who never were interested in AssCreed and will jump in on \/\/a7ch_d0gs, and those who like pirates that'll jump in on AssassCreed.

Also considering they're both going next gen and current gen (not to mention PC), I'm sure they'll both do well.

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

They're different enough to be a situation of someone buying one later and the other at launch. They're also different enough to maybe not appeal to all the same people.

#16 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

If Watch Dogs has Cyber Pirates I'll be really excited.

#17 Edited by TruthTellah (9534 posts) -

@mcghee said:

If Watch Dogs has Cyber Pirates I'll be really excited.

I think they've shown the main character stealing data from someone, which technically makes him a cyber pirate. Does that count? :D

#18 Posted by probablytuna (3906 posts) -

Doesn't affect me since I've lost interest in Assassin's Creed so Watch Dogs will be my go-to next gen open world game.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (12234 posts) -

I think they're wildly different.

#20 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4070 posts) -

Pirates and paranoid, hacking futures: often confused.

I'm really not that into what they've showed of Watch Dogs but I think AC IV looks amazing.

#21 Posted by zenmastah (1016 posts) -

Not at all, many gamers are feeling heavy franchise fatigue over AC and its a good thing theres something different coming around the same time.
I know i am cos after AC III im done with the series and am hopefull of Watch_Dogs.

#22 Edited by Humanity (10490 posts) -

Watch_Dogs is a day one purchase while AC IV is a sale down the road purchase.

#23 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

More omnomnomnom I say.

#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6101 posts) -

Who can say? I know I'm getting both as launch titles day one.

#25 Edited by Irvandus (2937 posts) -

I don't think so. AC 4 seems to not really have any excitement behinde it at all. I'm not getting AC because I want to get Watch Dogs instead. I am not getting AC because I had a miserable time with the last one and I don't have any faith in the studio to produce something of quality this time around.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14126 posts) -

Two games being from the same publisher doesn't mean they will conflict, and while I can see some overlap in the stealth and chase elements, I think they're very different games. I don't see them conflicting.

#27 Posted by Metzo_Paino (322 posts) -

Cannibalise yourself or someone else will.

#28 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Who cares? Unless you have stock in Ubisoft this shouldn't affect you at all.

#29 Posted by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

Sounds like a party, they both suck though.

#30 Posted by Darson (455 posts) -

AC has jumped the shark already. Watch Dogs has worried me a bit after seeing the free play in action (because it's always staged, right?) but it showcases everything I would ever want and imagine in a modern day AC game.

#31 Posted by Veektarius (5069 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: Where did you get that impression?

I think that there will be some cannibalization, I'm not sure in which direction. I would guess that people excited enough to buy a console at launch would know Watch Dogs, but if were were assuming a low level of game knowledge, Assassin's Creed would be the one to sell. I'm not sure what kind of sales trends they've seen over the last few iterations and whether that franchise is still a draw.

#32 Posted by thatdutchguy (1283 posts) -

I think that there will be some cannibalization, I'm not sure in which direction. I would guess that people excited enough to buy a console at launch would know Watch Dogs, but if were were assuming a low level of game knowledge, Assassin's Creed would be the one to sell. I'm not sure what kind of sales trends they've seen over the last few iterations and whether that franchise is still a draw.

I still don´t understand what makes the Assassin´s Creed franchise fun and Watch_Dogs is overhyped by Ubisoft and will disappoint... i think.

#33 Posted by Pr1mus (3978 posts) -

I never cared for Assassin's Creed and always thought the series was moving forward and would eventually make its way to modern times at which point i would probably become more interested. I guess it finally happened, it's just not called AC.

#34 Posted by metalhammer (67 posts) -

They do seem very similar in their composition - with the hacking of an initial site taking the place of viewpoints, to open up further areas and tasks. That said, the difference in location, style, place in history is different enough to be keep both interesting.

And the trailers for AC4 look much better than the bore-a-thon that was AC3.

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -

@thatdutchguy: Jeff, and almost everyone else who has played it, has been very positive about Watch Dogs. That and Titanfall are the two games reviewers seem most confident about.

#36 Edited by Chaser324 (6801 posts) -

Far Cry 3 and AC3 both were released in a similar timeframe, and they both sold extremely well. I really don't think Ubisoft is going to have any issues, and I suspect that they'll actually get a pretty good attach rate on the new consoles with people looking for solid launch titles.

#37 Posted by Confirm4Crit (144 posts) -

@veektarius said:

I still don´t understand what makes the Assassin´s Creed franchise fun and Watch_Dogs is overhyped by Ubisoft and will disappoint... i think.

Also, I'm fairly sure that was WiiU footage.
But yea, everyone at GB and PolyGon has said nothing but positive things

Arthur Geis said on a podcast one time something along the lines of "You need to actually sit down and play the game to see how good it really looks, vids don't do it justice"

So when I'm watching trailers for it and I'm blown away,I'm hyped.

In terms of AC4, idk. I played AC3, it left a really bad taste in my mouth. But ac4 looks like the good shit from ac3 with more vertical level design, right? 'Cause that was my complaint about 3, mainly.

#38 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@theht said:

I don't think so. Folks who still want more Neck Stab Simulator will get Assassin's Creed, folks who are tired of Assassin's Creed will probably get W@tch_Dog$. Then there's the folks who never were interested in AssCreed and will jump in on \/\/a7ch_d0gs, and those who like pirates that'll jump in on AssassCreed.

Also considering they're both going next gen and current gen (not to mention PC), I'm sure they'll both do well.

ahahaha. those names.

#39 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11498 posts) -

I don't think so. One is a modern day game with hacking and stuff, and the other is a pirate action game.

#40 Posted by StrainedEyes (1338 posts) -

I'm getting Watch Dogs because it's a new franchise and looks like a cool introduction to the next generation.

I am not getting Assassin's Creed because AC III sucked.

#41 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

@zekhariah: You can't really class it as competition if they're being published by the same company...

#42 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3807 posts) -

I dunno. Show me W_D multiplayer, and then we'll talk.

#43 Posted by sarahsdad (1128 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I dunno. Show me W_D multiplayer, and then we'll talk.

This. I have enjoyed the AC multiplayer more than most other games this gen. Seeing that 14 minute clip of Watch Dogs, I hope it works similar to Dark Souls, where I can set the game to be private if I don't want to constantly be interrupted by people trying to hack me when I'm out running around.

#44 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3708 posts) -

Eh. At retail games have a good 6 month window and digital sales give both AC4 and Watch Dogs tons of time and places to get dat money. Ubi will score two homeruns this fall methinks. Still not sure I'll pick up either though...

#45 Posted by squiDc00kiE (367 posts) -

The term "sandbox" really irks me when used in this setting. Open-world is not sandbox. Minecraft is sandbox. Eve Online is sandbox. AC and WD are open-world

RANT OVER

Yeah I dont see either of these having much shelf life. Watch Dogs looks like a cool setting but...stealth games.

Also why has no one done a AC IV Black Flag joke yet?! I expected to see at least 50 AC logo's over black bars by now.

#46 Edited by MHumphreys89 (730 posts) -

I for one am going to pick-up Watch_Dogs over ACIV hoping that they don't make the same mistakes with this franchise as they did with Assassin's Creed. I'm going to wait for the reviews of ACIV before purchasing, I bought ACIII blind and I paid the £40.00+ price. I think Ubisoft know they are sacrificing Assassin's Creed's sales in favour for this new game, people have a sour-taste in their mouth after 3.

#47 Posted by bwheeeler (528 posts) -

I think it would've been a good idea to hold ACIV back until March!

#48 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

ACIV shouldn't even be coming out this year. Franchise is in serious need of the 'Take a Break' award.

#49 Edited by PillClinton (3303 posts) -

All I know is I'm quite looking forward to Watch Dogs, and don't have very high hopes for ACIV. But yes, I think the timing is poor, and they may affect each other's sales somewhat.

#50 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3158 posts) -

I think the subject matter of both games is what makes them less likely to cannibalize each other.

If you want a game about high seas piracy than must go with Black Flag. If you want a modern tech/stealth/hack game you MUST go with Watch_Dogs. If you like BOTH you can't just have one, to get the experiences of each you need to own/play each. That's what narrative, genera based gaming is about - experiencing that world.