I love me some Internet Detectives.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So wait. Why are we even saying its Infinite?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So wait. Why are we even saying its Infinite?

Because follow the money man!!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

"I'm officially incapable of getting past a section". - Sessler

Can't be SimCity then. Does that game even have "sections"?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm officially incapable of getting past a section". - Sessler

Can't be SimCity then. Does that game even have "sections"?

Alex just said he is reviewing SimCity

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Ok. We still don't know whether all the tweets were about the same game. I don't think it is the Bioshock game though. It could be GoW or the Sniper 2 game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

What does Neogaf have to say about this?!

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By Ramone

@animasta said:

@oldirtybearon: they can hint but they can't just say shit like that blatantly. If you're smart (like the OP was) you'll figure out what they're talking about, they're just trying to help the best way that won't get them into trouble with a large publishing company

That's bullshit. If they're so worried about what a publisher thinks then there's something critically fucking wrong with that relationship.

Don't be so fucking naive. Of course there's something wrong with that relationship but unfortunately, and I fucking hate this phrase, that's just the way it works.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By fattony12000

Is Jeff trying to play door games with a mouse?

@sweep said:
No Caption Provided

Anyone figured out how to use gifs on the new site?

They work just right, once you click on 'em. But it's been this way since seaserpent, I think? It's probably to do with the lack of inline HTML code embedding, which was the sexy feature that let us put SoundCloud, GIFs and Twitch videos all up in these guts.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Ok. We still don't know whether all the tweets were about the same game. I don't think it is the Bioshock game though. It could be GoW or the Sniper 2 game.

Still would love to know why OP jumped to Infinite.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Jams

@fattony12000 said:

Is Jeff trying to play door games with a mouse?

@sweep said:
No Caption Provided

Anyone figured out how to use gifs on the new site?

They work just right, once you click on 'em. But it's been this way since seaserpent, I think? It's probably to do with the lack of inline HTML code embedding, which was the sexy feature that let us put SoundCloud, GIFs and Twitch videos all up in these guts.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It could very well be SimCity, if this article relates to those tweets.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams: They've got to bring the html back. I hope it is only a temporary thing.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I think SimCity is the winner.

Garbage Frame Rate

Ha, it seems Jeff and Alex have some different views about SimCity. Looks like Alex will give it 4 or even 5 stars despite Jeff's gripes about its frame rate. Still, I think I'll stay away from SimCity if the frame rate is this bad.

Still wondering what Adam Sessler was playing that made him go insane within 3 hours?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

When I saw the tweet from Jeff the other day I just assumed it was TrackMania induced. Nothing in this thread has been able to convince me otherwise.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By alternate

@the_laughing_man said:

Garbage Frame Rate

Ha, it seems Jeff and Alex have some different views about SimCity. Looks like Alex will give it 4 or even 5 stars despite Jeff's gripes about its frame rate. Still, I think I'll stay away from SimCity if the frame rate is this bad.

Still wondering what Adam Sessler was playing that made him go insane within 3 hours?

I can see the reviewers dilemma Especially if it is review code. Do you ignore things that are likely to be patched or resolved once the game is out - like server overload, bugs, inconstant frame rates you get but others don't - do you acknowledge the problems in the text but mark it based on assurances of an early fix or straight out mark it down and then revisit the review in a month or so after launch?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62 said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Garbage Frame Rate

I can see the reviewers dilemma Especially if it is review code. Do you ignore things that are likely to be patched or resolved once the game is out - like server overload, bugs, inconstant frame rates you get but others don't - do you acknowledge the problems in the text but mark it based on assurances of an early fix or straight out mark it down and then revisit the review in a month or so after launch?

Thing is I have watched some beta game play and it looks fine. Jesse Cox on youtube played and even did fast forward and it looked fine.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By NickL

When I saw the tweet from Jeff the other day I just assumed it was TrackMania induced. Nothing in this thread has been able to convince me otherwise.

Jeff uses trackmania as a way of relaxing and doesn't seem to take his times too seriously. I highly doubt it's that.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#122 chaser324  Moderator

FYI, in case nobody noticed, I moved this from the Bioshock Infinite forum to General Discussion because I don't think there's enough evidence that the tweets in the OP are about that game (...or that any two of them even refer to the same game).

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By louiedog

I saw other reviewers from sites over the last few days make similar vague statements, like "it's been awhile since I had to contact PR to get me unstuck in a game." There were at least 2 or 3 not mentioned here, and I think they were from smaller sites so maybe not as many people were watching them. I don't recall off the top of my head who they were and a quick twitter search hasn't helped.

When I saw those I immediately went to the upcoming release list and guessed God of War. I also believe someone said something about wanting to break a controller, so Sim City doesn't make much sense. Of course I missed Jeff's tweet about his mouse. God of War also seems like the kind of gameplay where design can get you into frustrating scenarios. I remember having issues like that with a prior game in the series (2 maybe?) and many of us probably remember Ryan's Dante's Inferno QL.

Whatever the game ends up being, I'd love to see a real time inbox of increasingly blame and panic riddled email headers going around the company and to PR.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It sounds like it's Sim City for Jeff but GoW: A for the others. Man, I hope this doesn't mean two big games end up disappointing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By jakob187
@hailinel said:

It could very well be SimCity, if this article relates to those tweets.

These are the types of things I DON'T want to hear. = (

*sigh* I'm going back to Civilization V.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By superfriend

Oh god, some of this points to Sim City.. being.. shitty?

Who would have guessed?! I mean, how the fuck can you drop the ball on something like Sim City? Ugh, this is really frustrating. That game seemed so cool when they showed it.

Edit: Reading that Ars Technica article.. no subways, no inner city highways, only 250k citizens and small-ass cities. Bleigh!

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By Nictel

Alex and Jeff had an entire discussion today about Sim City, they are enjoying the game despite it being buggy and broken.. Which is a major bummer.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jesus I love you motherfuckers. You take five tweets over the weekend and make it into the Da Vinci Code.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130  Edited By pr1mus
@nictel said:

Alex and Jeff had an entire discussion today about Sim City, they are enjoying the game despite it being buggy and broken.. Which is a major bummer.

And as the discussion went along it seemed like Jeff likes it less and less. His last two tweets sure don't make it sound like he's having a good time.

I guess I'd feel a lot better about the SimCity always-online thing if I felt like the multiplayer/multiregion aspects of it were positives.

Instead they feel like a series of limitations that have me thinking more and more about reinstalling SC2K.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mrfluke

@mariachimacabre said:

It sounds like it's Sim City for Jeff but GoW: A for the others. Man, I hope this doesn't mean two big games end up disappointing.

ya pretty much this seems like the case.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@mariachimacabre said:

ya pretty much this seems like the case.

Find out soon, live quick look in less then a hour.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Jams

@mtcantor said:

Jesus I love you motherfuckers. You take five tweets over the weekend and make it into the Da Vinci Code.

If you go to Jeff's tumblr blog, click his eyeball 3 times, put on 3d glasses and sneeze, it'll open a secret page. Then you follow the money

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Jeff prefers a controller on PC games if he has the choice, so given the fact that this is being played with a mouse it may be Sim CIty after all; at the same time, Ryan would review Sim City....

God I hope Bioshock infinite isnt complete garbage. I expect the game to not be as good as that e3 trailer, but c'mon.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#135 chaser324  Moderator

@alekss: Jeff was almost certainly talking about Sim City, and I'm pretty sure that Alex is reviewing it. Ryan probably would've done it, but he was on vacation.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Subjugation

I don't understand his grips about frame rate. I watched Jesse Cox (OMFGcata on Youtube) play over an hour of the beta and his frame rate was butter, even on cheetah speed.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#137  Edited By MocBucket62

@mocbucket62 said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Garbage Frame Rate

Those are some very good points. Really curious to see if Alex mentions the bugs he's had in the review for SimCity.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Jeff would have mentioned something so rage inducing the Sim City Quick Look. It don't think that is it.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand his grips about frame rate. I watched Jesse Cox (OMFGcata on Youtube) play over an hour of the beta and his frame rate was butter, even on cheetah speed.

I saw somewhere else that the slowdown occurs as the city size and number of things to simulate grows past a certain point. I don't know if that was achievable in the time limited beta.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@louiedog said:

@subjugation said:

I saw somewhere else that the slowdown occurs as the city size and number of things to simulate grows past a certain point. I don't know if that was achievable in the time limited beta.

He wasn't playing a time limited beta. It actually looked like release code because nothing looked locked, but he called it beta in the videos. To be fair though, you may be right about the larger city stuff because his cities didn't get particularly large.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

seems more like a coincidence, instead of everyone tweeting about the same game having problems.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

What game coming out this month that involves a mouse aside from Starcraft II?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#144  Edited By pyromagnestir

@sweep: drag and drop?

Why am I reading all of this crazy speculation? And holy shit Bioshock Infinite is coming out in a couple weeks?! I've been intentionally avoiding all prerelease stuff because I want to be surprised, hopefully in a good way.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#145  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@oldirtybearon said:

I hate it when Arthur and other journalists talk massive shit on Twitter and when asked to explain, they clam up tighter than a virgin on prom night (well, my prom at least).

I know that doesn't do much as far as the topic goes, but it pisses me off. Keep your damn mouth closed if you can't talk about it.

It's twitter. If you want meaningful content, the fuck are you doing on Twitter? You're only hurting yourself expecting anything else. It's just a place to splurge random shit.

Also, considering Bioshock is 3 weeks away, that seems an unlikely candidate. I doubt review copies are out yet.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By johncallahan

From what I can gather. It seems like Sessler and Gies are talking God of War. Arthur's been making allusions to it, Sessler all but confirmed it was Accession, plus he reviewed (I want to say all three) the God of War games back at G4 so he'd have the precedent to do it. Seems like Jeff was talking about something different, I'd assume Sim City.

Salbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People in this thread need to take a deep breath.

And relax.

Meditate.

Then realize that video game reviews are the most worthless thing ever. And you should never pay attention to them under any circumstances.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait I thought Gies worked for Microsoft?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#149  Edited By Daveyo520

I really hope it isn't Bioshock, I have been looking forward to that forever.

Salbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, dozens of people have already played several hours of Infinite (Alex Navarro being one of them) and have not mentioned anything about the game being frustrating, in fact they've all been pretty GLOWING from what I've read.

And it's very, very, unlikely that any flaw that Bioshock Infinite would have would be that it's rage-inducing difficult, like what Jeff was alluding to. This isn't some quirky Japanese block puzzle game. It's a AAA mass-marketed FPS. These games aren't made to be frustrating anymore, and they haven't for a long time.

Furthermore, I don't understand why people look to Jeff for quality opinions on games. I love the man, and he has brilliant insight into the inner-workings of the game industry but he's probably the most irrational critic on this site. He said recently that Super Metroid and Metroid Prime were mediocre/bad. Yeah. Alex and Brad are the best reviewers here.