Worst game file save you lost?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bionicicide

I'll edit this if I can remember one, but wanted to post this before I forgot.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Mass Effect two weeks before Mass Effect 2 came out.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

Pokemon blue save file i was 140 hours in and it got corrupted. I WAS PISSED and I STILL AM. never booted the game up since.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By erinfizz

Persona 4. About 10 hours into New Game Plus.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentofChaos
@scarace360 said:
" Pokemon blue save file i was 140 hours in and it got corrupted. I WAS PISSED and I STILL AM. never booted the game up since. "
Same here.
SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Only my RE5 save with everything, just sucks I have to get tons of points to get any of the versus characters (and the achievement). I think I'll do the egg trick for money. Only 50 hours though.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

All of my PS1 saves when my mega memory card crashed. That day I stopped playing it and JRPGs. The only thing representing all the hours I put into those grindfests having disappeared just ruined them for me. Good thing we have achievements and cloud savedata now, eh?

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By hinderk

Dragon Quest VIII. I was about 40-50 hours into the game, when my ps3 hard drive was corrupted.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

Oblivion: my main character.  I let my friend play, and he accidentally saved over my game.  I wasn't mad or anything, just made a new character later.  It kinda sucked to lose it though because I had spent like 50+ hours on it, and was busy purchasing property and all that.

gogobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gogobomb

i can think of two times, my pokemon gold broke and deleted all my data and i couldnt save, and my wii went corrupt and i lost all my rockband 2 data

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By m1k3

FFVII for me. Had 2 different games going. My first play through where i saved before the Final battle, and another where i started a new game using cheats. I went to save my second game, and accidentally saved over my main save. Lets just say i didn't play FFVII for weeks afterwards.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

My completed Pokémon Red save with 151 Pokémon in the Pokédex. My mom let my brother play it when he was in like kindergarten (meaning he couldn't even read) and he saved over my file.

Fuck, I'm getting mad again just thinking about it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

My original Trauma Center DS save was also a bad loss. That one hurt.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Half Life 2, 8.5 hours or so.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By armaan8014
@Spiral_Stars said:
" Mass Effect two weeks before Mass Effect 2 came out. "
*sigh* me too..
also, Oblivion and GTA IV when I was 75% + through
meismike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meismike

arkham asylum i had just beaten the game and had about 90% of the hidden shit. went to play the next day and there was just nothing there.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Super Smash Bros. Melee. While transferring the data over to a larger memory card, something went totally wrong and I lost everything. So many hours wasted. I tried to recapture all my stuff, but it just wasn't worth it. It was too much work for a game I was so over.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking

About two years ago I had a break in and amoung the stuff stolen was my 360 with HDD attached. 

Here are a few of the save files I had lost: 
A 100% GTAIV save 
All of my Mass Effect 1 saves 
My Burnout Paradise complete save 
Countless rented and other games I owned 

Amoung the things not stolen, the 360 power chord.  Poetic irony.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Actually like a few months ago, my pc had a virus where I had to format. My games were on a different drive, yet I lost all my saves for all my pc games at the same time. Honestly that's probally the worst lost i've ever had.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By dethfish

My 100% completed file on Super Mario 64 DS got deleted a while ago. I was pretty mad but I suppose it just gives me a reason to play it again. My brothers also lost the memory card I had my completed game of Persona 4 on. They'd better find that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

Well, I ran into that glitch in Twilight Princess. Remember, the one where if you save in a certain room then quit the game, then reload later on you will be unable to progress? Yeah, I had to start the whole game over again but for some reason I didn't mind.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Captain_Insano

FFVII when my PS memory card got a corrupted error and needed reformatting. About 35 - 40hr of gameplay gone, and I hadn't even finished it once at that stage. Took a long time before I went back to it to finish it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to collect pokemon (pokemon red), and one of my younger cousins would always come and fuck up my save. I lost a 120+ pokedex more than once. Wanted to murder those little fucks. *sigh* never did catch em all.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

My almost complete Grand Theft Auto III save.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Sarumarine

My roommate formatted my GameCube memory card and I lost all my data for several games. Most importantly was F-Zero GX. I had unlocked all the AX characters by beating insane story mode chapters on very hard. I also lost all the characters unlocked for Smash Bros Melee. Yeah, my GameCube saw significantly less action after that happened.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By aaox

I think the most annoying one was Mass Effect, right after I'd just finished my 'Get ready for Mass Effect 2' playthrough. I had to play that whole game again, took me about 40 hours.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64

Most likely the stupid save bug in the single player for Soul Calibur III.  I got really close to beating it, then my save game got corrupted.  CURSE YOU SOUL CALIBUR III!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Clubvodka

Fable II, I got a free code here on GiantBomb for Pub Games. I wanted to mop up some achievements and buy the DLC. 

Not a big deal but I didn't get the DLC and then sold Fable! Microsoft lost out all around.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Capum15

I think I've lost a Pokemon save or two.

One that pissed me off more than any was my fault though.

I decided to start a brand-new Ace Combat 6 game, but forgot to hit "New Save" or whatever when the game loaded. Ended up saving over my pretty much complete save. I had done each mission on the hardest (though not Ace of Aces), gotten each special skin for each plane, got every "unit profile", every medal for each operation in a mission (you can only do roughly half or a little over half of the operations in any given mission, meaning you have to re-do the missions for each)...yeah...

Still haven't finished up that save.

bchen42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bchen42

Original Legend of Zelda for NES. One labyrinth before Ganon. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eric_buck
@Bionicicide: SSBM, I had unlocked all the characters, everything. And I lost it.
goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By goatmilk

I really hate memory cards.  I turned on my PS2 one day and my (official!) memory card had corrupted itself. I then put in another and that was corrupt too. Lovely. The PS2 stopped working altogether shortly afterwards. Here's some of the stuff I lost.

Gran Turismo 4. Probably spent hundreds of hours with that thing. So many damn cars, all tuned the way I liked them. This was when I was big into the whole drifting thing.
A Katamari Damacy save where'd I'd done almost everything (even collected the million roses).
All 3 PS2 GTA games, completed with a ton of money so I could just run around and cause havoc.
Bully completed. I don't know why I completed that game as I didn't like it that much.
Persona 3 completed in Japanese. IN JAPANESE.
All my Taiko no Tatsujin scores.

Those are probably the ones I cared most about.  At least those are the ones I can remember. If I ever spend more than 10 hours on a game now I make myself back up the save games.

edit: Oh yes, my Twilight Princess save too.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#34  Edited By tearhead

GTA: San Andreas. A friend of mine accidentally saved over my file with their save. I was like 80% through that game, and as a result, have never finished GTA: San Andreas.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By c1337us

I had a Neverwinter Nights save file corrupt on me once close to the end, that was heart breaking. There have been plenty of othber though, some that I should be thinking of.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hero_swe

I've lost a good deal of saves, mostly from formats. Maybe once or twice from corruption.  

So my first loss of saves was a genuine rookie mistake, I just formatted without thinking and then when I was reinstalling my games it came to me  

So on my next format I save the My Documents folder`(Cause that's where most of the saves go...right? right?) Turns out, most oldschool games just put their savegames in their own folder...So that was a huge loss, biggest one of that was my Fallout Tactics game i had going. Soooo close to the end too, after all that inventory shuffling. 

So a quick rundown of my biggest losses of savegames 

Fallout Tactics (God...that inventory system will haunt my dreams)
Jagged Alliance 2 (I took it very slowly and methodically, fighting every encounter myself...yep...I really did)
Star Trek Bridge Commander (Some missions are a BITCH!)  
Oni (Nothing hurts more than loosing savegames when you're literally at the last level) 
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth (This game was scary as shit which made progressing hard) 
Hidden and Dangerous 2 (Was up to the end of a REALLY long and hard mission) 
Mafia (same deal here)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Getting pretty annoyed at having to redo the training missions and everything just to unlock the islands)
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowMan on the N64; it happened at least 3 times. The game just seemed prone to corruption. Well, that and the shifty 3rd party memory cards were shit. 

The last time it happened I'd taken it around to my friends house (ten years ago...?). Having been told he wasn't allowed to play it: as his mum walks up the stairs, my mate decides the only rational thing to do is rip the cartridge out mid-play. Cunt.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By danielkempster

I think the most annoying incident where I've ever lost a game save file was back when Final Fantasy IX came out. I was being hassled by my sister to turn it off, and as I was saving, she turned off the PlayStation, corrupting my save data. I'd just started the second disc, so I wasn't happy. 

In spite of this incident, I still only tend to keep single copies of saves for my games. Guess I'll never learn.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daryl
At least we have things like erm Action Replay.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By REDRUN

GTA 4, I was a mission away to the final one. I wanted to delete the stagnant gamer profile because I retrieve my gamertag at a friend's console. I selected to delete my profile and files associated with it. I made a big mestake. I also deleted my Forza 2, Burnout Paradise and 40 other game saves at the time. *Sigh... GTA4 mattered at that time because I was currently working on getting the 1000GS. I was so close in killing all those flying rats too!

MoistJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MoistJohn

Baulder's Gate. I was on the end of disk 4 out of 5 when my PC crashed and had to be formatted.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gosukiller

My Female Shepard for Mass Effect 1. I had to play my Renegade Male Shepard instead. Got used to it tho.

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By jdquach

Pokemon Diamond. I had 400+ hours logged in over a years span. Was on a trip with a couple of friends and brought my DS and stuff to play on the long ass plane ride. I was going to bed soon, and a friend wanted to play a bit. I gave it to him, went to bed, then 7 hours later I find out that THAT ASSHOLE USED A ACTION REPLAY AND CORRUPTED THE FILE!

I was mad, but it was a accident I guess. Never played Pokemon Diamond ever again.

Avatar image for kevinthedeviant
KevinTheDeviant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KevinTheDeviant

San Andreas. 98%. Still hurts.

SmotPoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmotPoker

I lost everything on my PS2 memory card after playing a Viewtiful Joe demo on Sony's Holiday Demo Disc of  '04. I didn't even realize the demo caused the corruption until I read it a few weeks later. Sony later offered a free game as compensation if you returned the demo as proof, but I think I was either too lazy or too late to call them up on their offer. I still have that demo disc somewhere in this house.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ProjektGill

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1.  
I was collecting every single item again because I decided to be a one gamertag house and let my old one die out. That game does not age well and losing the save almost made me break the disc.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bennyishere

Burnout Paradise at about 99% with achievements missing and 60 hours down. Fuck yeah I played it again.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Evilsbane
@HatKing said:
" About two years ago I had a break in and amoung the stuff stolen was my 360 with HDD attached.  Here are a few of the save files I had lost: A 100% GTAIV save All of my Mass Effect 1 saves My Burnout Paradise complete save Countless rented and other games I owned  Amoung the things not stolen, the 360 power chord.  Poetic irony. "
I feel your pain brother, I had the exact same thing happy, except they got my power cord to...Mass Effect one saves, Viking save (Was on the Last island), Too Human save, thank god your account can be recovered.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bionicicide
@Bionicicide said:
" I'll edit this if I can remember one, but wanted to post this before I forgot. "
Never lost any that I can remember, then again it helps that the only RPG series I played was Pokemon [Red/Yellow/Silver]
avengedxsniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By avengedxsniper

I actually lost all of save files on my old ps1 save file when I played the viewtiful Joe 2 demo.