• 62 results
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

I just bought Beautiful Katamari believe it or not- for my English Language dissertation. 

I've just realised that I've lost two hours of progress because the game doesn't autosave. This whole game just feels like a direct port of the PS2 prequel. Not a terrible thing considering We Love Katamari was a great game- but I keep forgetting I'm playing a 360 game. I understand if you wouldn't want to have autosave on if you're playing on a PS2 but here the lack of it is very strange. Oh and fuck on disk DLC. I can see those file sizes Namco. 

I think the most infamous save system is Dead Rising. One of the few modern games that will force you to start all of the way from the beginning! That ruined the entire game for me.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SpiralStairs

System Shock 2 has the worst Auto-save system I can think of. That's because when you exit the game, the auto-save dissapears, it only works for as long as the game is running. It's an even bigger problem on newer systems since it tends to crash a lot unless you tweak it a bit.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin
@MysteriousBob said:
One of the few modern games that will force you to start all of the way from the beginning! That ruined the entire game for me. "
That's bullshit plain and simple - misinformation: You do NOT start all the way over. You start the story over and your character progression is saved. And despite most people's bitching you're better off for it, starting a fresh game you'll never be able to beat it from level one. I understand it's not what most gamers consider 'ideal' but it's part of what makes the game what it is (an actual survival game rather than a shooter with zombies). I for one LOVED the save system and how the game flowed, but I digress. 

The game with the worst system has to be Fallout 3: It's auto-save to an extreme. Every time you open or close a door. Every time you change areas. So frequent are the autosaves that you can very very easily set yourself up in a no-win situation by attacking some townspeople and running inside a building to save yourself - the next time you exit they're still pissed off and you're still out of Ammo. Forcing a restart - without your stats or level saved. Pain in the ass.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster

Pokemon, why do I only get 1 save slot? Why?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By rinkalicous

I thought Majoras Mask's was a bit whoops-fuck-you. You could save whenever, but it kicked you out the game and then as soon as you loaded the quick save was deleted. I mean, I saw the point... but damn, it annoyed me. Lost so much progress thanks to that.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've never liked relying on auto-saves, it seems I'm the only one among my friends who don't use quick-save keys when playing on PC, I like setting up around 3 saves so I can go back to different parts if I'd screw something up, though I rarely have to load up anything but the latest save.

As for worst save system, I think I'd go with Morrowind or Black, Morrowind for technical reasons, because it's auto-save feature was buggy and seemed to introduce minor errors every time it saved, which would after some time accumulate into a corrupted save file, and the same thing occured on your regular saves too, but there you could at least fix it by manually making a new save every time you saved.

I'm sure Black isn't an exception when it comes to console FPSes, but it's the one where the save system has been bugging me the most. It only saves between missions, and missions can get very long at times. There are checkpoints within the missions, but they are only used if you die, if you have to do something and exit the game all progress in the mission is lost, that has resulted in me being stuck in a mission for about a year, since I rarely have time to play it more than about 40 minutes straight, and the mission is longer than that, at least if you die occassionally, and as I can't finish it, I have to start it over every time.

Because I don't rely on auto-saves I've never had any issues with System Shock 2, except for co-op, since you have to be the same number of players, the exact same players and connect to the host in the same order for the game not to crash when you load up a co-op save game. That didn't stop me and a couple of friends from playing through the game in co-op several times though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Resident Evil: Survivor.

Why?

Because it didn't have one.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By swoxx

From the games I've experienced: Dead Rising 1

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By MayorFeedback

Bionic Commando (the recent one). Or any other checkpoint-based save system that doesn't give you enough checkpoints.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SteamPunkJin said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

One of the few modern games that will force you to start all of the way from the beginning! That ruined the entire game for me. "
That's bullshit plain and simple - misinformation: You do NOT start all the way over. You start the story over and your character progression is saved. "
Exactly. You start the story over. The story is the game. 

Don't try and justify broken game design. 

Fallout 3 saves EVERYTHING. I have every instance of my character saved automatically and use it to view the entire history.

What's it like living in bizarro world?
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Probably Resident Evil with their typewriter ribbon save game economy thing. Extremely annoying.

Or any game that used a password back in the day. Obviously this doesn't really happen anymore and it's not technically saving, but believe me when I say that the only thing worse than saving over the wrong save slot and losing progress is when you mess up writing down your password and spend 15 minutes trying to get it to work.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Bluethunder35

Dead Rising and Deadly Premonition have the worst save systems I've used. At least with DP, you can buy a memory card and have two saves. 

Of course, I grew up in the days of 48 character passwords. Those sucked.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vorbis

Dragonage Origins, I'm anal enough that if a fight didn't go exactly as planned I would reload and do it again. Giving me the power to save and reload after every fight led to it being abused. I'm sure there's alot of people who reloaded if they said somethng wrong to a party member, leading to a very convaluted and unnatrual relationship. It just ruined the flow of the game, yes it was my fault for abusing it but I have no sense of control when it comes to dialogue trees, I must say the right thing.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By DXmagma

worst save system is easily super paper mario. there are NO checkpoints, and it's a platformer. all the checkpoints are save spots,a dn ebcause of that they are far apart. so a platformer with no auto saving and no checkpoints. what dumbass at nintendo said that would be a good idea?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Green_Incarnate

All the JRPGs out there that force you to find a crystal or something similar to be able to save. Most of the time you have no idea how far the next crystal will be unless you read a faq or something.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By White_Silhouette
@RobotHamster:  so you can't catch a legendary save it on another slot. Trade that one away then load the original with it. It would make trying to catch them all really pointless.
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpiralStairs
@Bluethunder35:  DP's wasn't that bad, you could go back and replay early chapters and anything you picked up would go to your original save, so if you missed anything it was easy to go back and get it.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

inb4deadrising

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SteamPunkJin
@MysteriousBob said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

That's bullshit plain and simple - misinformation: You do NOT start all the way over. You start the story over and your character progression is saved. "
Exactly. You start the story over. The story is the game.   Don't try and justify broken game design.  Fallout 3 saves EVERYTHING. I have every instance of my character saved automatically and use it to view the entire history. What's it like living in bizarro world? "
It's not a broken game mechanic when the central experience is designed around it. You may disagree, and that's fine - but Dead Rising was not broken, just different. This is the same shit that got brought up with Lost Planet 2 - different doesn't mean bad, and the same as everyone else doesn't mean good. Both of these games have a learning curve, both of these games are a-typical to their genre, this is largely met with frustration and confusion - which leads to senseless bitching. These games do something different - which is why they are good, rather than another generic title that will get lost when the next Space Marine Shooter comes out.

I could sit here and spend an infinite amount of time going over why these games are great in my opinion and why you're wrong for not liking something just because it's different, but there's a larger issue going on here and it just keeps nagging at me - players hate being punished for their mistakes and are no longer willing to LEARN to play a game and use a bit of trial and error. As someone who grew up with mostly Arcade games (which I will grant you are designed soley to eat money and therefore favor trial-and-error gameplay) there's something about knowing a game, about LEARNING a game, about a game without tutorials or infinite hand holding. 'Arcade' style gaming - no saves or limited saves, a lives system, trial and error - these things do not bother me, they are part of a game's style and need to be taken as such. It strikes me as beyond ironic that people will sit down and dedicate themselves to learning the endless combos of SSFIV,  the maps for an FPS deathmatch, boss strategies and item recipes for RPGs without a second thought but as soon as you have to learn levels or save systems it becomes a big to-do about broken game design.

I'm probably the minority here, and that's fine - just don't come me like I'm some crazy person, because I can appreciate a style of gaming you cannot. 

As for Fallout 3's save system - anything that takes control away from me, and has the console making choices for me, is a problem. It's my game, I'll save it when I want to. (And yes, I have auto-save turned off).

Toss in a quick edit here: 
Tl;DR It's not broken when it's designed that way, and it's not broken just cause it's not what YOU want it to be. Even with my complaints over Fallout 3's excessive Auto-Saving, I would never call it broken. The harshest thing I can say is that it isn't ideal for me, but the game was good enough that I worked around that fact.
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Green_Incarnate
@KaosAngel: Too late. 

@Bluethunder35 said:
" Dead Rising and Deadly Premonition have the worst save systems I've used. At least with DP, you can buy a memory card and have two saves.  Of course, I grew up in the days of 48 character passwords. Those sucked. "
If you have a memory card you can have two saves in Dead Rising as well. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64
@RobotHamster said:
" Pokemon, why do I only get 1 save slot? Why? "
At least you can save where ever you want.
Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Berezov

Dead Rising. Dead Rising 2 seems to be more forgiving since it gives you the option to save after every case but it's still a hassle.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

God damnit, I should read the posts more instead of skimming them.   

Too late on the Dead Rising!

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By apathylad

I remember finding Maximo's save system stupid. You had to pay coins to be able to save, if I recall correctly.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SteamPunkJin: 
I'd like to refer to the fact that you're the only person in the universe who enjoys the idea of having your progress erased. Carrying over the PP isn't enough to redeem wasting my god damn time.

Yes, I know its by design. But its bad design in that the game sucks. It took half a week of play to make me trade it in. At least they've seemed to have learnt their lesson with the sequel.
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Green_Incarnate
@Berezov said:
" Dead Rising. Dead Rising 2 seems to be more forgiving since it gives you the option to save after every case but it's still a hassle. "
You can save after each case in the first Dead Rising.
Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Berezov
@Green_Incarnate said:
" @Berezov said:
" Dead Rising. Dead Rising 2 seems to be more forgiving since it gives you the option to save after every case but it's still a hassle. "
You can save after each case in the first Dead Rising. "
You're totally right now that I think about it. 
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RobotHamster
@White_Silhouette: You would have to have another game in order to get it to the other file and you would have to reach that point in the game as well so the legendary's aren't really a problem.  And in order to get all the legendary's you need to trade some over anyway since it's impossible to get them all in one game without trading over from someone else or another version you own. 
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Dead Rising. 

Just because it's designed that way, doesn't make it not broken. Just my opinion.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
@RobotHamster said:
It especially sucked if you had siblings and cheap parents who insisted that you "share the game with your brother/sister." I'm not gonna share my Pokemons, you communist. This is MY Charizard, and if they want one, they can get their own copy of the game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@RobotHamster said:
I think it would of been considered justifiable homicide if I murdered my sister for starting a new game and erasing my complete Pokedex in Pokemon Yellow. Dude I had Mew and freakin' surfing Pikachu.
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By WalkerTR77

I have no problems with the save systems in fallout3/oblivion other than the sheer magnitude of saves I now have after finishing them. Almost two gigabytes of saves and the interface is way too slow to delete them in a timely fashion.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PS3RG
@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" Probably Resident Evil with their typewriter ribbon save game economy thing. Extremely annoying.  Or any game that used a password back in the day. Obviously this doesn't really happen anymore and it's not technically saving, but believe me when I say that the only thing worse than saving over the wrong save slot and losing progress is when you mess up writing down your password and spend 15 minutes trying to get it to work. "

I immediately thought of this when I saw the thread title.
Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Crash Bandicoot only saved after the bonus levels. Good times.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By andrela

Bioshock's saves kept fecking up on me. Had to play through the same 2 hour segment 3 times. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@SteamPunkJin: 

Naw, bro. I don't hate Dead Rising because it's different; just because it's a terrible game. 

Worst save system? The Mega Man series of games, with their huge lists of numbers to memorize. :|
fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fentonalpha
@SteamPunkJin:  Just beat Dead Rising... though it kicked my ass a few times the save system gave this game a great sense of pace. If that's a proper statement.
ruffedgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By ruffedgz

I actually don't mind not having 'autosave' as long as they say I need to save manually =P 

I think older sports games were very bad at that since way back when (I think they have improved).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By Yummylee
@Meowayne said:
" Resident Evil: Survivor.  Why?  Because it didn't have one. "
Lmao. With a game as awful as that, that was the least of its problems too.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Far Cry 2. 

Each save, autosave and quick save was it's own separate file so by the end of a long play session you had about 50 saves

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#41  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I hated password save systems.  Annoying as hell, and makes stuff like Dead Rising look absolutely brilliant in comparison.  Still, it was something, at least for that time period.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

what everyone said dead rising. i understand that it's a survivor horror type of game but they should have made it easier on the saves. the only places to save were the bathroom and security. 

also the old resident evil games. those were terrible, you had to find ink ribbons in order to save the game. if you didn't have an ink ribbon then you couldn't save the game.

queenulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By queenulhu

Fucking hate autosaving.  Especially when I can't choose to make a new file.  Broken!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By meteora

The ancient ass pre-N64 games that generated a long ass password that you have to write down to reload your previous progress.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrCandleguy

Dead Rising. Fucking hated that.
Ruined the game for me

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox
@SteamPunkJin said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
That's bullshit plain and simple - misinformation: You do NOT start all the way over. You start the story over and your character progression is saved. And despite most people's bitching you're better off for it, starting a fresh game you'll never be able to beat it from level one. I understand it's not what most gamers consider 'ideal' but it's part of what makes the game what it is (an actual survival game rather than a shooter with zombies). I for one LOVED the save system and how the game flowed, but I digress.   The game with the worst system has to be Fallout 3: It's auto-save to an extreme. Every time you open or close a door. Every time you change areas. So frequent are the autosaves that you can very very easily set yourself up in a no-win situation by attacking some townspeople and running inside a building to save yourself - the next time you exit they're still pissed off and you're still out of Ammo. Forcing a restart - without your stats or level saved. Pain in the ass. "
They give you literally as many save slots as you need in Fallout 3. I find it incredibly ironic you defend Dead Rising's save system and curse Fallout 3's.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Coombs
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox
@Coombs said:
" Hydlide "
Good one. Virtual Hydlide kicked the shit out of me, repeatedly. I never made it anywhere in that game.
Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By Liquidus
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Probably Resident Evil with their typewriter ribbon save game economy thing. Extremely annoying.  Or any game that used a password back in the day. Obviously this doesn't really happen anymore and it's not technically saving, but believe me when I say that the only thing worse than saving over the wrong save slot and losing progress is when you mess up writing down your password and spend 15 minutes trying to get it to work. "
I think that's part of the challenge. You have to ration your ink ribbons. You shouldn't have to worry too much about them since by the end of the game you'll have more than enough. Personally I never found the ink ribbon system to be much of an issue, I suppose if you're used to saving a lot and often then you'd have a problem.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrKlorox

I found memory card based saves (PS1/PS2) to be faaaar far worse than passwords. Even the cats at Sega knew the Saturn needed limited save space built-in. But now we have HDDs, so whatever.