#201 Edited by Carousel (418 posts) -

@leebmx: Enough with you.

@MURDERSMASH: And you.

Please stop posting.

#202 Posted by mrfluke (5160 posts) -

wow and here i thought i was crazy ranting in the comments.

some of you people are nuts.

ultimately everyone has a different perspective, one can find the statue sexist and not rocketgirl sexist (which imo thats still fucking crazy lol)

and one can find both sexist, or one can find rocket girl sexist and the statue not sexist.

which based on the comments here, it seems to be the majority consensus that we find patrick crazy for thinking rocketgirl is not sexist to any degree.

#203 Edited by Neon25 (29 posts) -

@leebmx said:

The arrest rate is 25% and the conviction rate on arrest is around 58%. So a very small number of cases actually end in conviction.

91% of rape victims are female and 99% of rapists are male.

Do you mind giving a source for these claims? Because from where I'm standing it seems that when it comes to rape women are 44% of the perpetrators. The data is from 2010, in United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/NISVS_Report2010-a.pdf

Quote from the data:

We find through the above statistics that 1 003 464 males and 1 245 870 females were the victims of rape or attempted rape by the opposite sex over the 12-month period previous to this study. We can conclude that over 44% of the perpetrators of rape or attempted rape during the 12 month period previous to this study were FEMALE

When it comes to domestic violence the data is not clear, but it strongly suggests the violence between male and female are more or less the same:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/01/30/a-hidden-crime-domestic-violence-against-men-is-a-growing-probl/

And yet, more than 200 survey-based studies show that domestic violence is just as likely to strike men as women. In fact, the overwhelming mass of evidence indicates that half of all domestic violence cases involve an exchange of blows and the remaining 50% is evenly split between men and women who are brutalized by their partners.

As you can see, it's not as clear as you make it out to be.

Also if you want to talk about Taxi Drivers not being believed - check out the case of John Warboys - a rapist who drove a taxi in my home town. He raped over a 100 women from the back of his cab but police refused to be believe he could be guilty because of his proffession.

And that gives the women right to falsely report rape how exactly? If the man hadn't recorded the video he would have been rotting in prison, instead he has to prove his innocence, he's not innocent until proven, but the other way around.

Also the reason that book isn't sexist when it is a man on the cover is because men, unlike women, haven't spent centuries being treated as possesions, and aren't regulaly compared to dogs to demean them. Who gets called bitch and dog all the time? Its not men.

Huh? So if people from Asia weren't that much enslaved throughout the centuries it would be alright to make a book called "How to treat 'em yellow folks right- rice collecting 101"? What kind of backward logic is that?

#204 Edited by ominousbedroom (233 posts) -

@Neon25: Stop talking about it means it'll stop happening? You give people too much credit. Is everyone really that noble? There's a difference between being able to openly discuss things and glorification, pity-parties, and perpetuating guilt. The two don't have to be the same. Your point is lost on me.

@Neon25 said:

@ominousbedroom said:

I'm glad sexism is being discussed over, over, and over again. Same for racism, violence, and tons of other things that we may be sick of hearing about. All of these issues actually still exist and there can never be enough open discussion about it.

#205 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Neon25

@ominousbedroom said:

I'm glad sexism is being discussed over, over, and over again. Same for racism, violence, and tons of other things that we may be sick of hearing about. All of these issues actually still exist and there can never be enough open discussion about it.

Morgan Freeman does not represent the entire black community, dipshit. If you want to pretend these issues don't exist and aren't worth talking about, fine. There are plenty of other ignorant people in the world you can hang out with.
#206 Posted by Undeadpool (4943 posts) -

My distaste for Leeland Yee is approaching the point that it will soon only be able to be described by abstract mathematics.

#207 Posted by Sergio (2130 posts) -

@hintonblogs: Rocketgirl is yet another game that used the same old mechanics that countless mobile games have exhausted. The only thing that differentiates it from them is that it uses scantily clad women to attract attention. If it weren't for that aspect, I doubt Patrick would have included it in his blog post, and we wouldn't be talking about it at all. It is completely pandering and akin to those Breakout clones where they hide a scantily clad woman behind the bricks.

If a coworker were to spot you playing Rocketgirl on your own device during your break, the likelihood of you talking to HR is almost certain. I'll admit the statue would also have you talking to HR, but mainly because it's grotesque and they'd wonder if your mental state is something to worry about in the workplace.

#208 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@Neon25: My stats on rape are from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics

You interpretation of the stats you have are ridiculous. You think men never rape other men?

Goddamit.......from the report you sent me it says 98.1% of women reported rape by a man and 93.3% of men report rape by only a man.

From the report on page 24:

Most perpetrators of all forms of sexual violence against women were male. For female rape victims, 98.1% reported only male perpetrators. Additionally, 92.5% of female victims of sexual violence other than rape reported only male perpetrators. For male victims, the sex of the perpetrator varied by the type of sexual violence experienced. The majority of male rape victims (93.3%) reported only male perpetrators.

I don't really know what else I can say. Can you show me where your original quote is in the report, because it seems to flatly contradict what they say on p24.

To your other points - I can't see anywhere where I said it is right that those women falsely accused a man of rape. Its horrible. Its just not sexual discrimination (and btw you have no idea what would have happened had it gone to trial) For a start they would have had no medical evidence and it is quite likely their testimony would be contradictory and weak but that's by the by). The point I was trying to make is that you can point to some women being bad to men. Whereas I can show you a whole institution, the male dominated police, oppressing women by denying them justice. They are both wrong but one is an institutional and societal issue and the other is not representative of anything larger.

As for the book - its all about the context. As it stands it is just a really bad joke and maybe a little rude. The other way round you are poking fun at a history of discrimination and abuse, where women were literally the possessions of men. - Its offensive. If you are offended by that book then you really are a very delicate little flower.

#209 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@Carousel: Why? Because you disagree or are bored of the topic?

#210 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

That OwlBoy animation and music was fantastic.

#211 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@leebmx: Both.

And no one is getting anywhere.

#212 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@Carousel said:

I have a solution for you. I'll continue posting as normal, you follow me, check what threads i'm and then avoid them. Job done.

#213 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@Carousel said:

I have a solution for you. I'll continue posting as normal, you follow me, check what threads i'm and then avoid them. Job done.

That's a poor solution, you goober.

#214 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@Carousel said:

@leebmx said:

@Carousel said:

Works for me. What's a goober?

#215 Edited by Carousel (418 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@Carousel said:

@leebmx said:

@Carousel said:

Works for me. What's a goober?

It's another word for "Patriarchy Destroyer"

#216 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
#217 Posted by Darth_Mercer (65 posts) -

SOMEONE SAVE VIGIL. PLEASE.

#218 Posted by mdnthrvst (267 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

@mdnthrvst: Here's a link that proves how men are oppressed in society. http://www.avoiceformen.com/activism/about/

If that's not actually just a total parody, I'm not interested in reading some whiny white college student's desperate misogynistic ranting, which is probably what whatever nonsense arguments he makes boil down to. There are plenty of sites like these. They are not run by good people.

#219 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@mdnthrvst:

How do you know that person is a man?

How do you know that person is white?

What does their gender or race matter anyway in relation to their argument?

#220 Edited by mdnthrvst (267 posts) -

@Carousel said:

@mdnthrvst:

How do you know that person is a man?

How do you know that person is white?

What does their gender or race matter anyway in relation to their argument?

Don't be facile. It's fucking obvious, and just because I don't feel like crafting an impervious logical thesis doesn't mean it isn't true.

As a white man who'se encountered this idiotic sentiment far too often in the past half-decade, only white men would envision a world where the male gender is uniquely and unduly persecuted. Women and minorities have actual problems to deal with, not stupid shit like "Men are 99.999% of American combat deaths and casualties!!!" as if men fighting wars is anything but routine. If feminism didn't exist, this website wouldn't either - it's a foolish and petulant attempt to shift the conversation back to where it's been for human history, men on top, and it's blatantly transparent.

Oh, and pointing out someone's race as it relates to their philosophical world-view and how they express themselves isn't "racist". Saying African-Americans are lazy or Hispanics all steal shit is racist.

#221 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

Lego's just might be making a comeback into my life after that

#222 Posted by KogX (13 posts) -

There is a game called Unwritten on Kickstarter that seems interesting.