#201 Posted by amir90 (2164 posts) -

That zelda clip was crazy!

#202 Edited by Wonloong (365 posts) -

I never read any of these things that Patrick linked. But they're good reads and thank you for sharing these!

#203 Posted by mrangryface (775 posts) -

@x0mb13 said:

The best part of that Ted talk is that it has about 900k views, 9x as many views as any other video featured on their front page. Why? Because it has a hot chick on the thumbnail and looks are everything after all haha.

Yup

#204 Posted by VargasPrime (303 posts) -

@Terrorbite said:

@Hailinel said:

@Dezztroy said:

What's so different about real guns appearing in games compared to, say, real cars?

By paying for the license to use real gun models in their games, developers are effectively funding weapons manufacturers.

I don't see the problem, even if citizen of a country couldn't privately own guns the gun manufacturers would still be around to make money off the governments of the world, so who cares if they make money of video games?

Because gun violence is a real problem in the US, and we want to believe that video games do not contribute to that. But even if violent video games are not directly linked to violent crime or gun deaths, the fact that publishers like EA and Activision are paying large fees to showcase brand name weapons in their games means that no matter how many studies are done that exonerate games from inciting violence or making people more prone to hurt or murder others, there is always going to be an explicit, if not quite as glaring, connection between some of the biggest games on the market and the gun manufacturers that are fighting to keep gun control off the table.

Yeah, gun companies are going to make money elsewhere, and games are never going to be a major form of sustenance for them, but it's hard for people who WANT to make the argument that games are completely innocent in our track record of violent crime when there is such a blatant hypocrisy like the direct funding of firearms manufacturers through licensing.

Note that the NRA doesn't specifically call out the biggest violent games on the market, like Call of Duty and Battlefield, when they rant about how games are ruining our children. Probably because those games are directly contributing to the financial success of the gun manufacturers that support the NRA itself.

#205 Posted by huser (1087 posts) -

Yeah, really bummed out to see that cold math put out there in regards to Splinter Cell. While the option to limit the wanton killing, is there, I'd like a rethinking of the stealth elements. Not because of concern for fake electronic people, more the nonsense even a preturnatural badass could hope to mow down a battalion of folks as a part of a moderately exciting weekend.

#206 Posted by InternetDetective (353 posts) -

Re: The Model Ted Talk

Patrick are you trying to tell us not to be jealous of your beauty? Not to assume that your life is any better or easier because you were born thin and graceful like a Tolkienesque forest elf? I get it man. Although my physical appearance is on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours and Ted Talk Model's, I still believe we can relate to one another. If not through common life experience, at least through common interests. Like video games! You see, both sparkly-eyed young gods and godesses and asthmatic, greasy, socially rejected pizza-faced internet trolls can come together and feel a kinship over these magical virtual worlds. And perhaps someday, with a little patience and a lot of tolerance, our two peoples can even get along face to face someday. Let's all try to make that someday a little sooner.

#207 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@InternetDetective said:

Re: The Model Ted Talk

Patrick are you trying to tell us not to be jealous of your beauty? Not to assume that your life is any better or easier because you were born thin and graceful like a Tolkienesque forest elf? I get it man. Although my physical appearance is on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours and Ted Talk Model's, I still believe we can relate to one another. If not through common life experience, at least through common interests. Like video games! You see, both sparkly-eyed young gods and godesses and asthmatic, greasy, socially rejected pizza-faced internet trolls can come together and feel a kinship over these magical virtual worlds. And perhaps someday, with a little patience and a lot of tolerance, our two peoples can even get along face to face someday. Let's all try to make that someday a little sooner.

Can't tell if serious? LOL

#208 Posted by Inquisitor (235 posts) -