• 80 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
Dragon's Dogma doesn't look nearly this good when you're playing it, but it's pretty damn fun.

There are a couple of reasons I decided to review Dragon’s Dogma. One, the game showed up, Brad threw it on my desk and said “you should review this.” So, well, there’s that--that’s definitely important.

But when my stack of need-to-play games begins to run dry, I (try to) fill that with a game I wouldn’t necessarily play, or a franchise I missed. It’s important to have personal experiences to confirm or disprove your expectations, and Dragon’s Dogma fit that well.

Hitman: Blood Money and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings were the same way, too. Since I’ve played both of those games, I’m now super excited for the next games from IO Interactive and CD Projekt Red. I couldn’t have said that with any confidence before--my options for future playing are now much wider.

Dragon’s Dogma has not turned me into a Monster Hunter fanatic, but it provided a window into what makes zealots out of those who do love Monster Hunter. Maybe Capcom has now tricked me into trying the next one? Hmm.

Hey, You Should Play This:

Despite being a big ol’ fan of Peter Molyneux, I’ve never played Populous. Or Syndicate, really. This isn't about me, though. Stop it! That hasn’t changed since writing this sentence, but I’m one step closer, since I’ve played a game that doesn’t seem far off. Reprisal is a pixel-tinted Populous-style game from graphic designer Jon Caplin that is, if nothing else, really stylish. The game’s tutorial doesn’t do the greatest job of explaining what the hell is going on by the time the tutorial disappears, but click around enough and it’ll all start to make sense. Plus, it sounds so good!

I’m finally going to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent this weekend. Or so I've told myself. Pray for me.

You Should Read These, Too:

No, I will not be attending the trial between Activision and former Infinity Ward employees. Plans were discussed, but the logistics of hanging out in Los Angeles for a month didn’t make sense for a great many reasons, and while I’d been lead to believe there might be a stream for media to watch, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Ah well. There will be plenty of reporters at the trial, however, and if you’re looking for how former IW leaders Jason West and Vince Zampella will be handling themselves, read Game Informer’s interview with them that’s...mostly with their lawyer.

It’s weird to be the reporter at the center of a big story. That was the case for me with the implosion at Infinity Ward, and it seems Joystiq reporter Alexander Sliwinski found himself in a similar position with 38 Studios. He’s written a heartfelt story about his time hanging out in a Dunkin’ Donuts near the 38 Studios offices, providing the emotional perspective of the reporter that’s often left unsaid. Sliwinski may assume a little too much about the psychological state of the 38 Studios employees he’s observing, but what he witnessed is fascinating. A sad tale from all angles.

And Some Other Stuff:

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -
Dragon's Dogma doesn't look nearly this good when you're playing it, but it's pretty damn fun.

There are a couple of reasons I decided to review Dragon’s Dogma. One, the game showed up, Brad threw it on my desk and said “you should review this.” So, well, there’s that--that’s definitely important.

But when my stack of need-to-play games begins to run dry, I (try to) fill that with a game I wouldn’t necessarily play, or a franchise I missed. It’s important to have personal experiences to confirm or disprove your expectations, and Dragon’s Dogma fit that well.

Hitman: Blood Money and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings were the same way, too. Since I’ve played both of those games, I’m now super excited for the next games from IO Interactive and CD Projekt Red. I couldn’t have said that with any confidence before--my options for future playing are now much wider.

Dragon’s Dogma has not turned me into a Monster Hunter fanatic, but it provided a window into what makes zealots out of those who do love Monster Hunter. Maybe Capcom has now tricked me into trying the next one? Hmm.

Hey, You Should Play This:

Despite being a big ol’ fan of Peter Molyneux, I’ve never played Populous. Or Syndicate, really. This isn't about me, though. Stop it! That hasn’t changed since writing this sentence, but I’m one step closer, since I’ve played a game that doesn’t seem far off. Reprisal is a pixel-tinted Populous-style game from graphic designer Jon Caplin that is, if nothing else, really stylish. The game’s tutorial doesn’t do the greatest job of explaining what the hell is going on by the time the tutorial disappears, but click around enough and it’ll all start to make sense. Plus, it sounds so good!

I’m finally going to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent this weekend. Or so I've told myself. Pray for me.

You Should Read These, Too:

No, I will not be attending the trial between Activision and former Infinity Ward employees. Plans were discussed, but the logistics of hanging out in Los Angeles for a month didn’t make sense for a great many reasons, and while I’d been lead to believe there might be a stream for media to watch, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Ah well. There will be plenty of reporters at the trial, however, and if you’re looking for how former IW leaders Jason West and Vince Zampella will be handling themselves, read Game Informer’s interview with them that’s...mostly with their lawyer.

It’s weird to be the reporter at the center of a big story. That was the case for me with the implosion at Infinity Ward, and it seems Joystiq reporter Alexander Sliwinski found himself in a similar position with 38 Studios. He’s written a heartfelt story about his time hanging out in a Dunkin’ Donuts near the 38 Studios offices, providing the emotional perspective of the reporter that’s often left unsaid. Sliwinski may assume a little too much about the psychological state of the 38 Studios employees he’s observing, but what he witnessed is fascinating. A sad tale from all angles.

And Some Other Stuff:

Staff
#3 Posted by EpicVandal (77 posts) -

Good read as always Scoops!

#4 Posted by fisk0 (4112 posts) -

Populous was on sale last week. There are no excuses.

#5 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

Play Amnesia in a dark room, alone, with headphones, or don't play it at all! Really looking forward to A Machine for Pigs. What a name.

#6 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Cool, I had never heard of Dead End Thrills. I really dig their site layout.

#7 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Now might be the time to look into the wonderful world of livestreaming Patrick... Just sayin. >_>

#8 Posted by Ben_H (3360 posts) -

So does everybody, but nobody does for more than an hour. I haven't even played it, just watched it, and it scared the bejeebers out of me.
#9 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

Ultimate Lost Theory. Gonna dive head first into that article as we speak!

#10 Posted by NoelVeiga (1099 posts) -

It's hard to not take Toulouse's post as a wee bit disingenuous after the string of "Xbox LIVE has not technically been hacked" from their organization in the past. Not saying that those were his fault at all, and if you read between the lines this almost feels a bit more like a "I take issue with corporate language on security compromises no matter where they come from now that I don't work for any particular company that uses said corporate language wink wink nudge nudge".

Still.

Only vaguely on topic, Kotaku ran this piece today:

http://kotaku.com/5913228/report-how-scammers-are-stealing-xbox-live-accounts-and-what-they-do-with-them

Which is a bit sensationalistic but, hey, it's Kotaku. It still goes to show that a con is a con is a con and sometimes service and security are not fully compatible.

#11 Posted by Roomrunner (828 posts) -

YES - Play Amnesia, Patrick. You deserve it, after slogging through all of Silent Hill: Downpour.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

As long as you're playing games from franchises you've never touched, what say you about playing some Fire Emblem?

#13 Posted by patrickklepek (4604 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

As long as you're playing games from franchises you've never touched, what say you about playing some Fire Emblem?

Maybe when the 3DS one comes out here?

Staff
#14 Posted by AutoBarn (80 posts) -

Wow. A new spelling low for Patrick -- misspelling the name of the game in the site's homepage headline. Spell check is just one mouse click away. Seriously.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Maybe when the 3DS one comes out here?

Yea, probably. Your only other option (you're a 3DS Ambassador, right?) is Sacred Stones, which you shouldn't start with.

#16 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

@AutoBarn said:

Wow. A new spelling low for Patrick -- misspelling the name of the game in the site's homepage headline. Spell check is just one mouse click away. Seriously.

You know, I was all for a bit of friendly shit talking about Patrick's occasional lack of proof reading, but now you're just being a dick.

#17 Posted by 49th (2757 posts) -

That LOST theory is great, it really does explain things and makes me appreciate the show even more.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hey Pat what other games of importance have you missed out on?

#19 Posted by IAmNotBatman (644 posts) -

If you manage to play Amnesia for a couple of hours or more under the circumstances they recommend, +10 bravery stat increase in it for you.

#20 Posted by crimsonlordofwar (140 posts) -

I say you record yourself playing it and post it for us to enjoy.

#21 Posted by AutoBarn (80 posts) -

@Khann said:

@AutoBarn said:

You know, I was all for a bit of friendly shit talking about Patrick's occasional lack of proof reading, but now you're just being a dick.

Whoops. I have invoked the wrath of Khann.

#22 Posted by tescovee (358 posts) -
I’m now super excited for the next games from IO Interactive

After recently playing Kane and Lynch 2, I would never be able to say that with out punching myself in the nuts.

#23 Posted by wh1terav3n (659 posts) -

My desktop rotates probably...130 dead end thrills wallpapers. There's some great stuff in there.

#24 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I should really buy Amnesia. I think I would enjoy that game.

#25 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@AutoBarn said:

Then this dumb ass shows up.

#26 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Oh nice, an image I uploaded ended up in an article.

Super tragic about 38, though. They're not kidding about mood and mindset of the people working there. Friend of mine got laid off and I still think she's probably in denial. The way she put it, the entire time she was working there was one long honeymoon, yet now, overnight, she's out of a job she's had for years in an industry she's never shipped a product in. Really sad.

#27 Posted by superscott597 (109 posts) -

VIDEO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN (Amnesia). *troll face*

#28 Posted by ch3burashka (5073 posts) -

@AutoBarn said:

I'm a stingy motherfucker, but I wouldn't call it a "new low". Patrick gets enough unjustifiable shit as it is - back off.

Reading the LOST theory - if only the writers had bothered to explain even half of what this guy is saying, maybe I wouldn't have hated the show as much. Assuming it's all correct, LOST is the most amazing, deep, sound narrative ever, dealing with what can be argued is the ultimate goal for humanity both physically and metaphysically. However, the show barely ever touched upon this theme, or hid their intentions too well that only now two years after it ended did someone finally crack through all the layers.

#29 Posted by notdavid (839 posts) -

Amnesia will fuck you up. Go with God.

#30 Posted by AutoBarn (80 posts) -

@LiquidSwords said:

@AutoBarn said:

Then this dumb ass shows up.

Oh, me! Me! He means me! Hello.

I would like to apologize unreservedly to Patrick and to anyone in the Giant Bomb community who was offended by my criticism of the (now corrected) typo in the headline on the home page.

It's a fun, irreverent, guerilla-style site and it was wrong for me to offer critique of a small grammatical detail like that. I promise I'll never call out Patrick's typos again.

I might do it again.

#31 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

The Lost thing was interesting. But I'm sure someone else could come up with an equally legit sounding explanation which is just as interesting as it is different.

#32 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Clones of old games = good, clones of new games = bad. Okay, got it.

#33 Posted by jasondesante (604 posts) -

I have a theory on LOST, The first episode where the pregnant lady in labor jumps stomach first onto the ground running away from a falling part of the airplane, that shatters all reality, and if you think the show is somehow deep you are only fooling yourself

#34 Posted by arawk (188 posts) -

Love these stories...thanks Patrick!!

#35 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

You can only really play Amnesia for an hour or two at a time just because it's so draining. Took me like a month to get through it, and it's only, what, 8 hours? Granted, that was also because of real life stuff getting in the way, but still.

#36 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

@AutoBarn said:

@Khannsaid:

@AutoBarn said:

Whoops. I have invoked the wrath of Khann.

I see what you did there, and it was beautiful.

#37 Posted by BeachThunder (11935 posts) -

@Top8cat said:

I say you record yourself playing it and post it for us to enjoy.

#38 Posted by kre8havoc (173 posts) -

What?! How could you have never played Amnesia? It's my favorite horror game I've ever played.

#39 Posted by TerraTempest (19 posts) -

Should do a live play through of Amnesia :3

#40 Posted by TruthTellah (9076 posts) -

Patrick, please, for the love of Giant Bomb, record yourself playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent this weekend. I assure you that you will be doing the site and all of its members a great service.

#41 Posted by samcwic (27 posts) -

Everything Bad Is Good For You by Steven Johnson has all but convinced me that movie adaptions of video games can never work. But I hope against hope that I'm wrong.

#42 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

I sure do love Shadow of the Colossos

#43 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

Wow that Stepto piece about Diablo 3 was a brutal read. It damn near sounds like an internet troll the way he explodes over a typo, is factually incorrect in his ranting (concerning perks for signing up for the authenticator), and tries to break down a press release line by line to try and prove that... Battle.net was hacked? I guess? Fuck I have no idea what the point of that was, and I read it twice!

#44 Posted by FoolishChaos (437 posts) -

Please tell me you were testing live streaming for amnesia. Please

#45 Edited by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

Thanks Patrick, I really appreciate this feature. It has given me some great ideas of what I could read many times already, including even (!) books. I like that!

#46 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

You can only really play Amnesia for an hour or two at a time just because it's so draining. Took me like a month to get through it, and it's only, what, 8 hours? Granted, that was also because of real life stuff getting in the way, but still.

I finished the game in 2 sittings. It scared the shit out of me but I enjoyed that fear immensely. Didn't find it draining at all.

#47 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

The thing with Amnesia is there's actually no penalty to dying, in fact I felt sometimes dying helped me. Even so, the prisons are so intense.

#48 Posted by cikame (1001 posts) -

Didn't a couple of people make mincraft calculators years ago?

#49 Posted by GioVANNI (1287 posts) -

I read that LOST mega theory and it finally gave me some closure. I now never need to read or listen to anything related to that show ever again.

#50 Posted by ike7779 (316 posts) -

@cikame said:

Didn't a couple of people make mincraft calculators years ago?

Some people made one in the original Little Big Planet a few years ago, before they added switches and circuits and stuff in the sequel. That's the earliest creation of a working in-game calculator I remember.