• 157 results
#51 Posted by csl316 (8439 posts) -

I pass Chicago Wushu almost every day, but I haven't worked up the courage to walk in. I met Jax and might as well meet Cage, especially since he seems like a cool dude (made an appearance on Gamespot's MK retrospective, too).

#52 Posted by kozmo7 (85 posts) -

Thanks Patrick! Good writing as always man.,

#53 Posted by bwheeeler (431 posts) -

Not sure if anyone's recommended this, but could you update us whenever one of the games you post a trailer for actually releases? They all look really cool, but I rarely remember to keep tabs on them.

#54 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Hey Patrick I think this Retrospective by the Gamespot guys would be a really good companion piece to the Johnny cage article. The video tracks down the old developers and actors in the mortal combat series.

Thanks and I hope you're doing well.

#55 Posted by RetroVirus (1470 posts) -

I can't play Slender tonight, but look forward to trying tomorrow.

#56 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -
#57 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

I can't handle anything Slender Man related. Traditional horror doesn't scare me much, but the idea of this lurking potential of horrifying shit chills my bones, especially since it's not just an "I'M GON' EAT YOU!" monster.

And yet, I kinda' want to play Slender. ;_;

#58 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

Slender recommendation, Fuck yeah!

#59 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

yep slender made me jump, hit escape (although i didn't know it would close the game), and then immediately start laughing afterwards.

#60 Posted by Clairabel (160 posts) -

No sir, I will not be downloading a game where the Slender Man is stalking me endlessly. Nope, I already have enough real-life paranoia about that thing following me, I don't need more thank you very much.

#61 Posted by Fobwashed (1985 posts) -
#62 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I played Slenderm'n and I triumphed 3 pages. I made the misplacement of going into the cinderblock building where once you catch sight of him it's very hard to dispose it and you just perish. I was intrinsically terrified when I turned round and he was right there in front of me. Chills ran through my entire body and my clawed hands went delta force only after throwing my smelly headphones onto the turgid desk in front of me.

#63 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

@sissylion said:

@Sup said:

I would add this to the "You should read this" http://www.unwinnable.com/2012/07/13/i-was-a-teenage-sexist/ (via @aegiese )

This is good. I like this.

Agreed. Powerful stuff.

And I missed you, Patrick! Obviously now isn't the best time, but since you have roots in the Chicago area, you should set up some sort of event for us mid-western duders. Even just hanging out at a bar and shooting the shit. haha...

#64 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

wow not one story about MGS4 getting trophies. :-(

#65 Posted by Eckshale (76 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

@Rotnac said:

Downloading Slender now and immediately regretting this decision after reading some people's reactions.

Can someone tell me if this is more or less frightening than Amnesia?

Compared to Slender, Amnesia is nothing.

That's just silly, it was tense for the first few minutes but then he starts appearing and at that point it's only startling thanks to the sound bit. But even that starts spamming out at comical rates eventually and it just loses it's impact. Also he never appeared in any unexpected places just behind me.. every single time. When you know that there is one monster and he is always gonna appear somewhere near you there are just no surprises left.

Not only is amnesia a lot more tense but it stays tense for much longer.

p.s the slenderman in the game is the most boring rendition yet.

#66 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

I wonder how long incompetent development management will be rewarded with the big bucks. At what point does mandatory crunch become enforced minimum wage for the project managers who failed to correctly manage the project so people could work the hours they're paid to work.

The only people who love 100 hours a week in the office for 6-9 months are people who have failed to establish their work-life balance. Maybe it's time for more serious talk about trade unions.

#67 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

Patrick I wanted to say I hate you for introducing me to Slender Man.

Now I won't be able to sleep at night.

#68 Edited by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Yup, Slender kinda freaked me out. The story behind its creation inspired me to download the free version of the Unity Engine and start messing around with it a couple weeks ago.

Also, if this helps somebody out there, I stumbled upon this very crude map:

Slender Render

PS. Obligatory: Patrick, it's good to have you back. You've been missed.

#69 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I think people's reaction to Slender is hysterical. I was a lot more scared in Bioshock on Hard than I ever was in Slender. You have nothing to lose if you die. Who cares if you don't collect all the pages. They don't make the fear of losing palpable enough. But anyway, great game and so are your suggestions Patrick as usual. I'm getting a little bit more ahead of you every week as I was all ready aware of most of what you posted. So good on us both I guess. Lol! Hope your doing well. Thanks man.

#70 Posted by cyraxible (687 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Dude you're amazing.

#71 Posted by cheezfang (11 posts) -

Slender gave me a couple of good chills. I think the game creates a sense of fear pretty well, especially for me since I grew up near some creepy woods that had all sorts of ghost stories told about them. I don't quite know how I lost though. I seemed to be doing ok and then all of a sudden the screen fizzed out and homeboy's face appeared and the game ended. Maybe he caught me from behind. I didn't think it was all that fun to play (I hate "find the hidden items" type of crap and so I was getting annoyed by it), so I don't really feel like playing it again to try to find all eight pages. But I thought it was a creepy few minutes and I give it credit for being maybe the second game to give me a legit scare or two other than Amnesia.

#72 Posted by LikeaSsur (1513 posts) -

@Eckshale said:

I know, right? Already the alpha and this is what they have? Sheesh, lazy programmers.

#73 Edited by Jellybones (101 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@depecheload said:

The irony of Penny Arcade criticizing a Kickstarter is rich.

It is not lost on me.

The Penny Arcade Report is not Penny Arcade though. At least not in any greater respect than Giant Bomb is Gamespot.

#74 Posted by enemymouse (332 posts) -

Welcome back duder.

#75 Posted by AngriGhandi (773 posts) -

Some really good stuff this week; I'm a continuing fan of this feature!

All props to you, Tricky.

Oh, and also the duder who linked the Jenn Frank article. I recommend it.

#76 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1288 posts) -

You're my boy Patrick.

#77 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

This reminded me of Bully, and renewed hope in a sequel for it. Consider me now a fan of this feature.

#78 Posted by Nephrahim (1132 posts) -

Oh my god screw you Patrick. I saw the slender man image and immediately checked my room.

I've watched most of that stuff and it ruined me.

#79 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

@Sup said:

I would add this to the "You should read this" http://www.unwinnable.com/2012/07/13/i-was-a-teenage-sexist/ (via @aegiese )

My favorite part of the article was where someone politely and articulately disagreed with some points and was heavily downvoted for it, and then given snarky replies.

#80 Posted by fisk0 (4033 posts) -

@SamDrugbringer said:

Oh my god screw you Patrick. I saw the slender man image and immediately checked my room.

I made the dumb decision of reading up on that, and watching 44(!) episodes of Marble Hornet (and a few of that training video spoof thing, though that kinda jumped the shark 20 or so episodes in) just before going to sleep.

#81 Posted by Nephrahim (1132 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

I made the dumb decision of reading up on that, and watching 44(!) episodes of Marble Hornet (and a few of that training video spoof thing, though that kinda jumped the shark 20 or so episodes in) just before going to sleep.

Yeah, you know what I'm talking about then.... I got up to the end of season 2 (52) and I slept with the lights on for a good week. I agree they sort of fell off after they got to the hotel, and I haven't seen any of the recent episodes.

#82 Edited by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

Not a fan of how the bullets at the bottom rarely tell me anything about the link you're asking us to click. At least name the game you're referencing or something. "I haven't played this game yet, but I'm hearing good things." Sounds like anything from Halo 4 to Fart Cat.

Also, I'm interested in Grasshopper but refuse to hurt my eyes trying to read actionbutton.net. What are they thinking with that layout? Seriously!

#83 Posted by Vrikk (895 posts) -

Slender is a horrible game, even if it is indie and based off of a SA meme. There are no scares, and it's easy to stay away from the Slender Man. Also his model is atrocious.

#84 Posted by Eckshale (76 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Eckshale said:

I know, right? Already the alpha and this is what they have? Sheesh, lazy programmers.

Doesn't excuse him being so bright and goofy looking. That along with making him move in a more interesting way, most of the time he just stands around in the same spot even when you look away multiple times. He should move every time you lose sight of him.

#85 Posted by m2cks (579 posts) -

@Clairabel said:

No sir, I will not be downloading a game where the Slender Man is stalking me endlessly. Nope, I already have enough real-life paranoia about that thing following me, I don't need more thank you very much.

C'moooon- being scared is fun sometimes! Plus- it's only a game.

#86 Posted by Landon (4138 posts) -

@Blind_Evil said:

Not a fan of how the bullets at the bottom rarely tell me anything about the link you're asking us to click. At least name the game you're referencing or something. "I haven't played this game yet, but I'm hearing good things." Sounds like anything from Halo 4 to Fart Cat.

People really will complain about anything. Why don't you just click it and find out? It's not like this site is going to purposely give your computer a virus. And unless you just have terrible internet it wont take but a few seconds to find out what it is.

#87 Posted by zaldar (93 posts) -

@Shivoa: If you are passionate about your work than your work becomes the center of your life and it becomes your art. Now is this how many people see it no, but the best? Most likely.

Odd that people didn't like the long thoughtful article that is rather depressing but then not surprising.

#88 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

totally worth a read.

i'm enjoying the steam sale.

#89 Posted by CrazyBagMan (841 posts) -

I'm sure there's something wrong with this and you should be ashamed. ;)

#90 Posted by bigevil1987 (109 posts) -

Good to have Patrick back! Always love Worth Reading, and Slender is horrifying. The graphics aren't stellar but when he shows up behind you it's a solid scare.

#91 Posted by dropabombonit (1490 posts) -

Great read, good to see you back to writing. Hope all goes well for you over the next couple of weeks

#92 Posted by Clairabel (160 posts) -

@m2cks said:

@Clairabel said:

C'moooon- being scared is fun sometimes! Plus- it's only a game.

That's what he wants you to think!

#93 Posted by Aelric (401 posts) -

I'm sorry for your loss, Patrick. Take it easy and get back into posting as you feel you can, there is no pressure.

#94 Posted by paulmako (47 posts) -

Welcome back Patrick!

Also Slender: Played at 12:27 in a well lit room. Instantly weirded out. It's awesome because I saw the Slenderman model in the game and it looked kind of... shoddy. But it doesn't even matter, I will still acutely aware of his presence the whole time.

Good recommendation from Scoops. Everyone, try it!

#95 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Wow. I don't think I was around when these first began (or maybe I was and as usual completely oblivious to awesome things) but I loved this! I finally understand Slender now haha. He popped up on me and then everything stopped and I *cough* was too scared to carry on *cough*.

Can't wait to read next Friday's article. =] These are posted every Friday, right?

#96 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Yay! Great return to form. Only gripe is that Kuchera just seems like an asshole. He acts like a certain sect of the editorial community ie. Arthur Gies of Polygon and Brandon Sheffield of Gamasutra; they have decent ideas but they think too highly of themselves and alienate too many people to have a journalistic impact. A healthy dose of humility helps in the journalism department. Anyways, glad to have you 'back' and keep doing your thing, Tricky.

Also, Slenderman is terrifying to me. The ramp up in music each time you get a note is ingenious.

Also also, I think I've found your video feature. You play horror games for us, new, old, doesn't matter. That'd be a great video series that I know the community would love

#97 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@patrickklepek Yay! Great return to form. Only gripe is that Kuchera just seems like an asshole. He acts like a certain sect of the editorial community ie. Arthur Gies of Polygon and Brandon Sheffield of Gamasutra; they have decent ideas but they think too highly of themselves and alienate too many people to have a journalistic impact. When you're so obnoxiously arrogant that you can make me, a liberal law school student, completely not give a shit about what you're talking about, that's when you know you're doing something wrong. A healthy dose of humility helps in the journalism department, I think. Anyways, glad to have you 'back' and keep doing your thing, Tricky.

Anyways, Slenderman is terrifying to me. The ramp up in music each time you get a note is ingenious. Thanks for that Matt Leone feature, as well, somehow missed it this week and that kind of tongue in cheek writing is right up my alley. Interesting and engaging; no one's done it before.

Also, I think I've found your video feature. You play horror games for us, new, old, doesn't matter. That'd be a great video series that I know the community would love
#98 Posted by EddyNZ (23 posts) -

Cheers for that Patrick, have saved the links to Instagram and I'll flick through them over the weekend. Especially interested in reading more about Spec Ops after the great Game Spot podcast on Thursday.

#99 Edited by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

@Landon: I know it's not a huge deal but it's a pet peeve of mine. I read a lot of ESPN coverage and their bulleted lists do a much better job about letting me know if I'd be interested (example). The way it's done here, would be like if ESPN just said, "Interesting idea about that one team."

It just strikes me as lazy writing, and attempting to lead readers around by the ear. Tell me *why* it's worth reading, not just that you think it is, because I disagree sometimes. Patrick puts more work into his journalism than most (all?) game news guys, and my constructive criticism is that he do that work justice by spending some time strengthening his composition

#100 Posted by l3reak (129 posts) -

The "Will Minecraft be on Ouya at launch?" question isn't a simple one. Yes, you will be able to play Minecraft at launch. This is a meaningful distinction from Wii or PS3. However, you'll have to install the Google Play app, then load it on from there. At the same time, is there a confirmed special Ouya version of Minecraft? No, as everyone has said. It's not hidden information or anything, the KS page lays out that Mojang games aren't confirmed for Ouya.

So it's actually a really murky issue. You can't just easily say "minecraft will be on ouya" or "minecraft won't be on ouya". They're both true. Yeah, Uhrman is spinning the message. That's marketing! Kickstarters are pure marketing, and no part of a Kickstarter is more marketing than the pitch video. Hell, just calling it a "pitch video" acknowledges this. We all know they're gonna try to make their product sound as appealing as possible. Since when does this give us such deep concerns and make us accuse respectable pros like Behar and Fries of being scam artists?

I guess my main issue is that there are such real concerns about the Ouya, such as the game library, the lack of software & hardware information, and concerns that they can deliver in such a short time. But nobody's even talking about the worthwhile issues, because they'd rather just make attacks on the Ouya team for being "shady". And thus we can't even get a good debate going.