patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
No Caption Provided

My initial thought was to put Worth Reading on hold this Friday, since the crew (sans Alex, sadly) will be wandering around PAX in a stupor. Since Worth Reading has been on and off since the beginning of July, so I’ve put together this truncated version.

Mostly, I just want to talk to people about The Walking Dead’s third episode, which is a...doozy. Without getting into spoiler territory, this feels like the equivalent of a character development episode in a TV show, where it simultaneously feels like nothing happened and everything happened at once. I'm still reeling from some of it.

(Please don't discuss/spoil episode three in the comments.)

I don’t know if you’re reading this at PAX or not, but if you are, stop doing that, and make sure to come up and say hi. The reason we don’t schedule to see very much at PAX is two-fold. One, it feels weird to be cutting in line of the patient folks who paid to be part of this very cool event. Two, the more time we can spend chatting with the users who make this site possible, and this job so great, is vital.

Hope to see you there!

Hey, You Should Play This

No Caption Provided

I didn’t intend for Worth Reading to have yet another horror game as a highlight, but when the creator of Slender drops his latest work, you can bet your ass I’ll be the first one to listen. Granted, Where Am I? isn’t a fully fledged follow-up to Slender, but Mark Hadley participated in the more recent Ludum Dare, and came out with...this. I’d agree with the general set of critiques I’ve seen elsewhere. Primarily, Where Am I? takes way too long to execute on its one, pretty excellent scare, but there’s an argument to be made the anxiety and frustration over the prolonged feed greatly into its execution. Stick with it, and if you’re like me, every minute or so will result in moving further and further back from the screen, knowing the “unexpected” scare is coming, and trying to distance yourself from it.

And Maybe Read This, Too

No Caption Provided

When companies like Valve, Epic Games and id Software are trumpeting the merits of virtual reality, maybe it’s time to check your preconceived notions of the technology at the door. Touch controls used to be garbage, too, and we all know how that’s turned out, whatever you think of the games built on it. Michael Abrash, the same programmer who co-authored Quake with John Carmack, is heading up a series of R&D projects at Valve, including the idea of wearable computing. Abrash shows the right amount of skepticism about VR 2.0’s prospects mixed with enough excitement to give someone like me pause. I mean, when games like Hawken are announcing support for devices like the Oculus Rift, it’s hard to not get a liiiiiitle bit geeky about the whole thing. Hey, I’m listening. Show me more.

My personal feeling is that – and this is far enough out that it’s something I’m not personally looking at – but my speculation is that there will be haptic devices. Once you have immersive VR that people are really using so that there’s a market for it, there will be experiments all over the place. My guess is that there’ll be some sort of form-fitting, shirt-like thing, and it’ll have some kind of percussive devices so it can tap on your chest and arms. That seems like an obvious and manageable thing. But there are so many ways that could go.

If You Click This, It Will Play

I Don’t Know About This Kickstarter Thing, But These Projects Seem Pretty Cool

Oh, And This Other Stuff

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
No Caption Provided

My initial thought was to put Worth Reading on hold this Friday, since the crew (sans Alex, sadly) will be wandering around PAX in a stupor. Since Worth Reading has been on and off since the beginning of July, so I’ve put together this truncated version.

Mostly, I just want to talk to people about The Walking Dead’s third episode, which is a...doozy. Without getting into spoiler territory, this feels like the equivalent of a character development episode in a TV show, where it simultaneously feels like nothing happened and everything happened at once. I'm still reeling from some of it.

(Please don't discuss/spoil episode three in the comments.)

I don’t know if you’re reading this at PAX or not, but if you are, stop doing that, and make sure to come up and say hi. The reason we don’t schedule to see very much at PAX is two-fold. One, it feels weird to be cutting in line of the patient folks who paid to be part of this very cool event. Two, the more time we can spend chatting with the users who make this site possible, and this job so great, is vital.

Hope to see you there!

Hey, You Should Play This

No Caption Provided

I didn’t intend for Worth Reading to have yet another horror game as a highlight, but when the creator of Slender drops his latest work, you can bet your ass I’ll be the first one to listen. Granted, Where Am I? isn’t a fully fledged follow-up to Slender, but Mark Hadley participated in the more recent Ludum Dare, and came out with...this. I’d agree with the general set of critiques I’ve seen elsewhere. Primarily, Where Am I? takes way too long to execute on its one, pretty excellent scare, but there’s an argument to be made the anxiety and frustration over the prolonged feed greatly into its execution. Stick with it, and if you’re like me, every minute or so will result in moving further and further back from the screen, knowing the “unexpected” scare is coming, and trying to distance yourself from it.

And Maybe Read This, Too

No Caption Provided

When companies like Valve, Epic Games and id Software are trumpeting the merits of virtual reality, maybe it’s time to check your preconceived notions of the technology at the door. Touch controls used to be garbage, too, and we all know how that’s turned out, whatever you think of the games built on it. Michael Abrash, the same programmer who co-authored Quake with John Carmack, is heading up a series of R&D projects at Valve, including the idea of wearable computing. Abrash shows the right amount of skepticism about VR 2.0’s prospects mixed with enough excitement to give someone like me pause. I mean, when games like Hawken are announcing support for devices like the Oculus Rift, it’s hard to not get a liiiiiitle bit geeky about the whole thing. Hey, I’m listening. Show me more.

My personal feeling is that – and this is far enough out that it’s something I’m not personally looking at – but my speculation is that there will be haptic devices. Once you have immersive VR that people are really using so that there’s a market for it, there will be experiments all over the place. My guess is that there’ll be some sort of form-fitting, shirt-like thing, and it’ll have some kind of percussive devices so it can tap on your chest and arms. That seems like an obvious and manageable thing. But there are so many ways that could go.

If You Click This, It Will Play

I Don’t Know About This Kickstarter Thing, But These Projects Seem Pretty Cool

Oh, And This Other Stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The icon for this story made me laugh

Avatar image for blainefrommaine
BlaineFromMaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BlaineFromMaine

Thanks! Look forward to these, always something interesting.

bass_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bass_hero

Thanks for filling my weekend again Patrick! Wish I could be at PAX though...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

do a QL throwback of illbleed, it's an amazingly awful game that is hilarious.

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Might want to check that link to "Where Am I?"

BananaHace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By BananaHace

Illbleed is kind of a Bad Game but for all of the right reasons and it is a joy to behold.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

The Where Am I link doesn't work for me.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By tallTuck94

I'm so annoyed that The Walking Dead Episode 3 is delayed for Europe. People keep saying it's awesome and it's driving me crazy. Any other game I would have spoiled for myself already but The Walking Dead gets a special treatment.

jasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jasius

Parasec link doesn't work!

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By seannao

Regarding illbleed, SUPERGREATFRIEND did a fairly thorough LP of that bizarre, incredibly.. .. weird .. bad game..

http://supergreatfriend.com/illbleed.php

Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By SomethingClever

A bunch of years ago I bought a Dreamcast and a friend gave me all his games (he had a pretty extensive collection). The one he urged me to play the most was ILLBLEED and I tried but when they said it will make you vomit they were right. Something about playing that game simply murdered my eyes and gave me a terrible headache and I literally got sick while playing it. Never had that experience before or since when playing a game. I have tried to go back to it once in a while but I can't, after about three minutes my head starts pounding and I get nauseous again. Even watching that video up above hurt my head.

@jasius said:

Parasec link doesn't work!

Throw a .net in there. parsecproductions.net/games/whereami.html

deadeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deadeyes
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT

Wow. I'm not much for bullet hell games, but that Korean (?) game looks like a blast!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By paulunga

Oh nice! Illbleed! Anyone interested in LPs should check out supergreatfriend's take on it. At one point he gets sick and talks delirious nonsense, which is very fitting for this game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

I'm down with VR.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

dat thumbnail

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By comradecrash

Pendleton Ward's gif blog is great! lol

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Peanut

Did a double take at the ILLBLEED thumbnail. I haven't thought about that shit since high school.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By landon

Where Am I is pretty good. I was about to cut it off because I was about to have an anxiety attack, but I took out of headphones instead and stuck with it. Ending still made me jump. Good find Patrick.

SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SortedeVaras

Isn't that Soul Reaver post just made up of stuff taken from my buddy Lincoln's site thelostworlds.net? He's had all that stuff up for like 10 years now.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Terramagi

God that Soul Reaver link makes me pine for another one of those games.

A dark Zelda before Darksiders was a thing. A story that should be remembered forever. Voice acting that was peerless at the time, and has yet to be toppled.

A pity Tony Jay is no longer alive, and that we will never see a successor... well, unless it's rebooted and made into an FPS.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By papercut

That's a pretty nifty drawing of Patrick, I bet who ever made it is really talented.

ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ICF_19XX
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Loving the Valve blog. So incredible to see their take on spontaneous order in terms of business. NEVER would have thought would be a viable, long-term business model. Just goes to show what I know.

As always, good article.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By butano

Man, that's crazy that they have the manual to those claw crane game machines online for the general public! Super neat to see how the odds are always against you in the different types of games.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EthanielRain

@SortedeVaras said:

Isn't that Soul Reaver post just made up of stuff taken from my buddy Lincoln's site thelostworlds.net? He's had all that stuff up for like 10 years now.

He links to that and thanks him :)

@TheHT said:

Wow. I'm not much for bullet hell games, but that Korean (?) game looks like a blast!

Heck ya, I want it.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By yetiantics

Oh man, Illbleed.... The game was weird as fuck.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hahahaha Illbleed...

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Urmean

Sexy Doll!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silver-Streak

So, the mention of Soul Reaver reminds me how GODDAMNED MUCH I WANT THE FINAL GAME THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME AFTER DEFIANCE.

Man I love the entire LOK series. Yes, even Blood Omen 2.

Avatar image for spacejamlunchbox
SpaceJamLunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceJamLunchbox

Thanks as always, Patrick! Have a great time at PAX. Wish I could be there. Oh, by the way, McPixel just came out for IOS, in case anyone missed it. Not a lot of fanfare for that game, which is a shame.

Starblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Starblade

"Oh man, Illbleed.... The game was weird as fuck."

Killerman is Killerman.

bushlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bushlemon

Two Brothers looks cool. I backed it

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By superjoe

Spy Party looks like a Pendulo adventure game.

mattscout007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By mattscout007

I'd like to second Supergreatfriend's Illbleed let's play. He does a great job, and if you enjoyed the nonsense from the clip, there's much more where it came from.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Th3irdEye

That trolling story was... weird. Every time they used the term "trolling" it just felt out of place. Internet slang shouldn't be used to discuss a serious issue like cyber-bullying. I mean, "extreme trolling may be a sign of mental ill-health"... come on, doesn't that sound just the slightest bit humorous in that context?

sgt_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sgt_waffles

I've been waiting for another Soul Reaver... I think it's about time the rumor became truth.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EnduranceFun

I've been waiting for years for Giant Bomb to acknowledge Illbleed's existence. Amazing cult game, I wish you guys would play it at some point. Probably not. :(

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By geirr

I really love the idea and look of the Two Brothers game, I'll throw in a few bucks there.

Thanks for the weekly headsup, Patrick.

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thebigJ_A

The link to the game is broken. Where will I get my scare today? :'(

LordLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LordLOC

Wow I don't know what game that 3rd one you linked in the story is Patrick, but god damn. A RPG/Schump hybrid with physics and explody bits!? Sign me up.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Xealot42

Planetary Annihilation sounds pretty awesome. Also, I spotted a Giant Bomb member t-shirt in update video #4.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Loafsmooch

That shmup in the 3rd video is Mirror War. Any korean speakers who could let us know how to register on that site? I wanna play that so bad!

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By shodan2020

This reminds me to pick up a copy of Illbleed for my Dreamcast... on second thought I should have done that 8 years ago when I was in college and a used copy went for $5.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man that big post on GAF cleared up some ancient mysteries from my youth about Soul Reaver, I remember seeing all those walled off areas and I'm sure there were some cheat codes to load up the extra reaver blades, drove my young mind crazy, now I can finally rest...

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

Illbleed Game Inormer Super Replay,

It must happen.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By jimi

Where am I? was interesting, I found myself building up to the big scare so much that when it actually hit it fell a little flat for me. It lasted too long.