• 143 results
nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By nmarchan

I liked LiquidSketch better when it was called Fluidity.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By kennybaese

You guys, there's a movie called The Killer Condom. I have to find this movie.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103  Edited By bvilleneuve

That Jeremy Parish article was okay, but it seemed at times to almost overcorrect. It's all well and good to remind people that any societal situation has facets which might don't get covered in the media as much as the more shocking ones, but at points it sounded like Parish was praising Japanese game developers for catering to this whole miserable subculture. Sexual assault is a problem in Japan (just like in many other nations), and normalizing it isn't the direction we should be heading in.

EDIT: Also, looking at that horror movie list, I just recently watched The Loved Ones for the first time, and damned if that's not one of the best horror movies I've ever seen.

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Duxa

sprites... not stripes... Klepek :)

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By Phished0ne

@bvilleneuve said:

That Jeremy Parish article was okay, but it seemed at times to almost overcorrect. It's all well and good to remind people that any societal situation has facets which might don't get covered in the media as much as the more shocking ones, but at points it sounded like Parish was praising Japanese game developers for catering to this whole miserable subculture. Sexual assault is a problem in Japan (just like in many other nations), and normalizing it isn't the direction we should be heading in.

EDIT: Also, looking at that horror movie list, I just recently watched The Loved Ones for the first time, and damned if that's not one of the best horror movies I've ever seen.

But thats the same argument Jack Tompson and everyone else makes against violent video games. Just because some people act out their power or sexual fantasies in real life with unwilling people, doesn't mean you should limit access of edgier content to 'normal people'. Violent crime is an issue all over the world, so would you argue that GTA normalizes violent criminal behavior?

Also on a side note, Tokyo Gore Police just from the title sounds like a smoking hot burner.

mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By mrburger

Pontypool is awesome. And [rec] is the best horror film this side of 2000.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bvilleneuve

@Phished0ne said:

@bvilleneuve said:

But thats the same argument Jack Tompson and everyone else makes against violent video games. Just because some people act out their power or sexual fantasies in real life with unwilling people, doesn't mean you should limit access of edgier content to 'normal people'. Violent crime is an issue all over the world, so would you argue that GTA normalizes violent criminal behavior?

Also on a side note, Tokyo Gore Police just from the title sounds like a smoking hot burner.

It's actually totally not the same argument. I would never advocate putting legal restrictions on content in video games, or in any artistic medium. What I would advocate is making sure that on a societal level we make people aware, one, that an impulse to non-consensually grope, molest, or otherwise abuse any human being is absolutely unacceptable, and two, that if they have an impulse to non-consensually grope, molest, or otherwise abuse any human being, they should seek professional help. We can't just say "well that's just the nature of their subculture" like it's okay in any way.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mrfluke

@bvilleneuve said:

@Phished0ne said:

@bvilleneuve said:

It's actually totally not the same argument. I would never advocate putting legal restrictions on content in video games, or in any artistic medium. What I would advocate is making sure that on a societal level we make people aware, one, that an impulse to non-consensually grope, molest, or otherwise abuse any human being is absolutely unacceptable, and two, that if they have an impulse to non-consensually grope, molest, or otherwise abuse any human being, they should seek professional help. We can't just say "well that's just the nature of their subculture" like it's okay in any way.

totally agree. with your view, but i highly doubt it will happen

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bvilleneuve

@mrfluke said:

Be the change you want to see in the world, man. Don't forget that, while society needs to change, we are part of society, and are the only agents who can effect that change.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mrfluke

@bvilleneuve said:

@mrfluke said:

Be the change you want to see in the world, man. Don't forget that, while society needs to change, we are part of society, and are the only agents who can effect that change.

yep, totally agree again, just wish there was more we can do other than post in comments and challenge other peoples ignorant opinions.

like i bought doa 5, love the fighting, love the deliberate stupid story, think the boob bounching is just silly and whatevs, think the chicks look great, but am i in love with fake videogame chicks? no. that doesnt mean i cant say they look great. but common opinion from people will be that your a weirdo playing doa 5.

just wish there was more than can be done other than staying strong with your opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

A question: Is that the original Mother's Day or the recent remake?

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112  Edited By hedinnweis

Frontier(s) and Behind the Mask are both fantastic movies.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By RedRavN

has anyone seen the japanese horror movie audition? That should be on the list if patrick has not seen it. I would not recommend human centipede 2, tokyo gore police(not really a horror movie), or lake placid.

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SuperZamrod

Patrick, make sure you definitely get around to seeing Pandorum. I thought that movie was really good.

hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#115  Edited By hagridore

1UP still throws up an ad wall and makes you click into the site. Not sure how that is still a thing in 2012.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By AssInAss

I'm glad to say I've played and finished most of those indie games of 2012.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By rox360

Not sure if that 1up article was supposed to reaffirm how I feel about the whole "creepy Japanese" deal or not, but that's what it ended up doing.

Okay, so, the whole sexualization thing is not widely accepted over there, just like how it isn't over here. It's just there because the unfortunate, isolated crowd it caters to is substantial enough to target an entire industry at and tempt designers to abandon sensible values in order to exploit them for the sake of money. Then I'll stop being disgusted by the idea that enough people buy into that kinda stuff to make it a viable business strategy and start being disgusted at the companies that perpetuate that image and style of life for their own profit. Less contempt for Japanese culture, more contempt for Japanese business practices, woop! Not sure that's what you wanted me to feel, but that's how it is now.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#118  Edited By Blind_Evil

The N64 stripes? This remix complication? The sexual wide of Japanese video games? You can take the man out of Kotaku, can't take the Kotaku out of the man.

I do like that the bullets are now more detailed.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By John1912

Never thought cheats were a good thing helped me to explore the game more, or even really added to the gameplay experience. If anything it caused me to burn out on the game 10x faster.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's Pet Sematary,  not Pet Cemetery 

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By bybeach

I will throw my comment in, I read the article by Jeremy Parrish. I thought it good. It was multi- pronged and did more than just talk about otaku(or however it is spelled) I got a bit of history/societal examination of both people and the video game industry down to developer level in a few cases. Also demographics, the evolution of 'electric city' and the culture beyond the sub-culture examined But what I also found interesting was in the comments afterwards., a few individuals who seemed both Japanese and more or less, into the culture. One felt everything about what he did was fine, another not and why. They were polite...but it was a small window, if they were really Japanese writing in english.

Never used cheats except in Redneck Rampage, because the game was messed up on my bs PC of the time and clipping through walls was the only way I could find my way around. That was after the waste reclamation plant and I gave up anyways soon after anyways. I somehow think I finished the origonal game and it was an expansion to Redneck Rampage, I can't remember, but I had banged Bubba on the head with a crowbar enough....

namesonkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By namesonkel

The Lady in White? Don't you mean Splooge covered blowjob queen?

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By perilator666

Switch out Human Centipede 2 for something like The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Why would anyone in their right mind watch Human Centipede 2 two years in a row? What a piece of shit movie that is.

Avatar image for uhohlovehascometotown
uhohlovehascometotown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

you missed day of the dead and dawn of the dead

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#125  Edited By Y2Ken

I was a huge fan of Doom with God mode on, played a lot of that as a child and had an incredible time with it. I'm a huge fan of playing challenging games (I love going through stuff on hard), but sometimes you just want to take it easy, and cheats do that. It's kind of a shame we've moved away from them as much as we have.

iselbi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By iselbi

I always enjoy reading these. Thank you.

ibruemleve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ibruemleve

Agree with mrburger too bad [rec] isn't on your list, that being said kill list is really great as well as a few others enjoy sir.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#128  Edited By jakob187

There is a disturbing lack of Dead Alive on that list! However, your inclusion of The Monster Squad makes up for it in droves! Much respect on that one, good sir. This seems more than appropriate for this situation...

No Caption Provided
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#129  Edited By Phished0ne

@mrfluke said:

@bvilleneuve said:

@Phished0ne said:

@bvilleneuve said:

I dont think there is anyone who doesnt agree with him. But its the "You cant prevent assholes from being assholes" problem taken to the extreme. If someone is going to sexually molest or rape people, they are going to do it. No amount of finger wagging or pamplet hand-outs are going to change that. No one teaches their kids that rape is okay, or that its fine to sexually objectify people, but it happens. Society is doing its part, but evil people will exist no matter how much people tell them what they are doing is wrong.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By mrfluke

@Phished0ne: agree with your view as well, but i guess that balance for you i guess, that there will always be people who will take stuff too far, and there will be the ones that will do their best to change those bad people's point of view

Klesko4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Klesko4

Ahh how I love Worth Reading...

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By bvilleneuve

@Phished0ne said:

I dont think there is anyone who doesnt agree with him. But its the "You cant prevent assholes from being assholes" problem taken to the extreme. If someone is going to sexually molest or rape people, they are going to do it. No amount of finger wagging or pamplet hand-outs are going to change that. No one teaches their kids that rape is okay, or that its fine to sexually objectify people, but it happens. Society is doing its part, but evil people will exist no matter how much people tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Are you saying that, just because we can't ever completely eradicate rape, we shouldn't work on educating people about why it's not okay to objectify others? People will do evil things, but societal change and education can greatly reduce the quantity thereof, and the idea of any person being ineducably or uncontainably or otherwise unavoidably evil is an idea that I absolutely do not subscribe to.

"If someone is going to rape people, they are going to do it" is just plain wrong. The rapist and the rape victim are both products of their environments, environments that have not imparted that rape is not okay and that have told the rape victim that he or she should be ashamed of what has happened.

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#133  Edited By happymeowmeow

From your list, Netflix instant has Quarantine 2, Grave Encounters, Human Centipede 2, Pet Cemetary, and Dead Heat. If "Woman" is "The Woman", also that. Don't know if I can suffer through Dead Heat, maybe the Joe Piscopo poster is enough.

The list is an interesting mix of classics and painfully bad. Disappointed Videodrome isn't on Netflix anymore, would totally watch it again.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By civid

Hav'nt seen any of these other than Tokyo Gore Police and Pandorum of which I liked neither. I would recommend The Thing over TGP, TGP have some creative gore scenes, but other than that it's kinda shitty with some real bad fight scenes and waaaaay to many talky-talk scenes.

Cinemasnob have a great review of Mothers Day and I think Phelous has reviewed quite a few of the movies you list. Still interesting list, here's mine in no order:

1. The Birds

2. Scream

3. Arachnophobia

4. Let Me In

5. Lad den rette komme ind

6. 30 days of night

7. Mother in tears

8. Saw

9. Nightwatch (the original Danish vewrsion, not the shitty American remake)

10. Bird with the crystal plumage

11. The Thing (James Camerons version)

12. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

13. Blue Sunshine

14. JAWS

15. From Dusk till Dawn

16. Inland Empire

17. Bram Stroker's Dracula

18. The Evil Dead

19. The Frighteners

20. The Shining

21. Lost Highway

22. An American Werewolf in London

23. New Nightmare

24. Howling III

25. Howling IV

26. Interview with the vampire

27. My Bloody Valentine (the original)

28. Freddy vs. Jason

29. Suspiria

30. Alien

31. Halloween

EDIT: Thank god I have enough horror movies to skip such "classics" as House of the Dead 2 and Severance. Although I can't say I'm looking forward to watch Blue Sunshine again

borkran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By borkran

Pontypool! Excellent choice, Patrick.

oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By oldschool2112

These are the ones on Netflix instant download:

Pet Cemetery (1 and 2)

Pontypool

Quarantine 2

Grave Encounters

Dead Heat (1988 flick with Joe Piscapo and Treat Williams???)

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Worcanna

Reading about Japanese games and such made me wonder how they view our games out there.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#138  Edited By fox01313

Good article & fun looking list of horror to dive into. Would like to add the following from the tv series Dr. Who for anyone interested in some of the more spookier episodes with witches, vampires, deadly angels & other things. The show is written in such a way that has stuff for fans of the series but the episodes work quite well on their own without a lot of previous knowledge to enjoy it.

Dr. Who

Series 3 (2007): 180 - "The Shakespeare Code"

Series 5 (2010): 206 - "The Time of Angels" & "Flesh and Stone", 207 - "The Vampires of Venice"

Series 6 (2011): 217 - "The Rebel Flesh" & "The Almost People"

IronRinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By IronRinn

Pontypool was great. Kill List was almost perfect. I felt like it could have used one, short scene with some brief exposition and it would have been flawless.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Mister_Snig

That piece on Akihabara, along with how Jeff talks about it on the podcast, kind of bums me out. Hearing about it a few years ago made it near the top of my "places to visit" list.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By vonFlampanker

Checked out QUARANTINE 2 on Netflix last night because Flampanker Jr was keeping me awake anyway. It's not nearly as bad as i'd been led to believe. The first half, especially, had some nice tension and setup. Maybe it's just because I'm a somewhat nervous airplane passenger. It's not a classic by any means, and it's weird that they went this direction after QUARANTINE was so much of a shot-by-shot remake of [REC], but if you like those movies this one won't make you feel like you totally wasted your time.

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By satansmagichat

Thanks for the links! The Parish article about Otaku was great (but then, he's a great writer, and I don't just mean "for a game journalist" or whatever.)

That horror movie list seems solid. Nice mix of light-hearted romps with real terror. I can't wait to hear your opinion on Dead heat, one of the best worst horror movies of the 80's. I'm actually still not sure if it intended to be as bad as it was, but then again, they hired Joe Piscopo, so, yeah.

Actually, now that I think about it, was that horror list designed to be movies you and your wife haven't seen, or is it a mix of have and haven't seen?

SloaneRisette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SloaneRisette

Nice stuff to read, though I'm sure there's a 99.9% chance I won't be checking out any of those movies.

Stache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Stache

Remix Compilcation.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#145  Edited By buzz_clik

No word of a lie, Doom 64 is one of my favourite games in the franchise. Hells of atmospheric, and some cool level design (on a pretty neat custom engine).

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#146  Edited By jasondesante

That new NFL Blitz is FREE on PSN+ right now....holy shit thats so awesome.

(on top of Starhawk+all dlc, Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Warhammer Space Marine, Sideway New York, Pac Man Championship Edition, Renegade Ops, Bloodrayne Betrayal, Outland, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, and Double Dragon Neon all for free right now also)

I love free games. NFL BLITZ for free!!! I'm stoked!

just thought id mention this because its AWESOMESAUCE