Worth Reading: 10/04/2013

• 94 results
Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I love Ian Bogost, every medium needs people who are never satisfied with it and I think that while his goal seems to be to say 'this is good, but I know you can do better' sometimes, his (and other critics writing) gets mistaken as 'this is shit. do better.'

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By BisonHero

@turambar said:

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@turambar said:

Perhaps this is a common theme in Bogost's writings, or perhaps not as I rarely read them, but I find the line of "Everything you find good is mediocre, and everything else is shit" media criticism to be a giant bore.

I feel like that's always the undercurrent with this kind of "Intellectual" game criticism, the general feeling that the writer isn't so much done with the game they're writing about as much as they're done with video games.

I don't think it's that as much as it is looking at everything with a more critical eye, so what IGN might give and eleven-point-awesome, they'll actually analyze to determine its merits beyond a boilerplate review with a skewed review score.

Here's a line from his piece.

"For a literary audience,Gone Home will certainly be more appealing than Bioshock—but less appealing than, say, Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, a book Bioshock players have no more heard of than readers of Winterson have heard of Ken Levine."

That's not criticism so much as stating video game players are somehow of a lower intellectual class. While I might be a bit of an ivory tower academic myself with a bit of a snobbish attitude, no, fuck you. (Directed at Bogost, not you Hailinel)

I agree with this sentiment towards Bogost's writing and the writing of a few other games writers with aspirations of discussing games more academically, such as Leigh Alexander.

My other issue is that, unless I've missed huge swathes of their writing, they seem to largely be applying literature and film analysis to games (lit for the writing, film for stuff related to visual composition of scenes, use of soundtrack, etc.). And then they seem to have nothing to say about games that are brilliant pieces within the medium that is video games, but happen to be light on story and also lack any implied themes.

For example, Limbo lacks a coherent story but has enough of a motif and makes enough allusions to the nature of the world that it still has some implied "writing" to speak of, so plenty of articles have been written about it. On the other hand, Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV and Super Hexagon are amazing video games, but aren't trying to make an emotionally moving point through their writing, and no one seems to have much to write about them at length aside from "Hey, this is really good, you should play it". Academic video game criticism needs to be able to look at video games holistically, not just focus on games that are incredibly heavy on writing and story focus.

Gone Home is cool and all and has fantastic writing and voice acting, but it's also an audio-visual version of a Where's Waldo book. I wish game criticism had an equal amount to say about games that are the inverse of that, but the more academically-minded games writers seem to be far less proficient at commenting on the quality and depth of game mechanics, and instead perseverate on games with extensive writing.

[WEIRD ADDENDUM: While Googling to confirm that Leigh Alexander had indeed written very little analysis of Super Hexagon, I found this article: http://gamechurch.com/revelations-nostalgia-violence-and-hexagons/

It contains the note "(Trigger warning: occult material)", then mention of an article about video games and the occult, then "(End trigger section)". WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN DEEPLY TRAUMATIZED BY THE OCCULT? Religious sites are crazy. I need to start throwing random trigger warnings in front of whatever I feel like. Seems fun.]

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By Turambar

@elwoodan said:

I love Ian Bogost, every medium needs people who are never satisfied with it and I think that while his goal seems to be to say 'this is good, but I know you can do better' sometimes, his (and other critics writing) gets mistaken as 'this is shit. do better.'

The issue taken with Bogost is that his most damning piece of criticism is not one targeted against games, and demanding that games do better. It is targeted against those that play them, damning people for not having read a book by Jeanette Winterson, and in the same breath raising those that have to be somehow above ever playing a mere video game.

That is not constructive criticism nor critique. That is a mere insult.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@bisonhero: Agree, plus I always felt music is a much better comparison as an art form to games than books or film. Simply because the deeply mechanical nature of booth - and how storytelling is absolutely optional to what the core of the medium is.

Then again I don't think Gone Home is some masterpiece, it's a nice little game that did some touching things and was fun, enjoyable, and well put together for the little vignette that it was. The writing, characters, and environmental aspects of the game were certainly well crafted and generally good, but not something that at all stuck with me. I don't really remember many parts of the writing much, more the house than anything.

Games like Braid, Mother 3, The Walking Dead, or Kentucky Route Zero were much more interesting and effective overall (though I did shed tears a few times in Gone Home.) Anyway I welcome grand-standing criticism of anything usually, but it can be difficult to do without sounding condescending. From looking at his other writing, and just from that piece itself, he is obviously well-informed(did not expect him to mention Minerva's Den) and a good writer, but his tone has its faults of course.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The argument that we shouldn't have a problem with GTA's portrayal of transgenderism because "it's GTA it makes fun of everyone" falls incredibly flat.

The game makes no effort to take the piss out of cisgendered people. There are people who are cis who are the butt of jokes, but not because of their status as a cisgendered person.

On the flipside, literally the only examples of transgendered people in the game is to be the focus of some very cruel, ignorant "humor" that makes fun of them for being transgendered.

So no, you don't get to claim that these "jokes" are fair, or that people that have a problem with them want transgendered people to be "special snowflakes" and "treated better than everyone else". That is just plain bullshit. Because no, the game in fact does not make fun of everyone.

Exactly, it just perpetuates the idea of heteronormative/cisgender-normative ideas in our society that just excludes and oppresses people. It is not about pointing out that they are transgender and making them feel special or whatever, it is about seeing them as a person/human being first and taking all of that into an account, not "OH WHEN OF THEM TRANSFOLK HEHEHAHHOHA". Obviously being transgender is part of who they are, but like you said no one gets made fun of for their cisgender identity, and that's what is important, it is not fair or equal in that regard.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#108  Edited By Brackynews

Man... I have not seen the name Henk Rogers come up in a long time. Very fitting for him to write that Wired article.

@vincentvendetta said:

Tom Clancy is a horrible, horrible writer.

You're not so good yourself. That sentence should have been past tense.

Gosh it's a good thing "no joke is harmful" or that would've slayed me. ;p

stage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks Patrick. I got goosebumps from the Yamauchi piece by Henk Rogers. What a great story.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

While GTA V is mechanically a brilliant game, and even not that bad of a story, it is a very pessimistic and very crass game too. It pokes jokes at group who's lack power just as hard, if not harder, than groups histriically invested with power.

I have played only three GTA games over the years, and because this one is mechanically superiors I finished this one. But, with that said, I am find that the sense of satire in this game is just off in a way I did not see iun pervioudl games. Maybe, GTA was never really all that good of a satire; yet I feel like the past games were far better or took their shot more at people in power instead of people without power. This new game makes me cringe far more often because so much of the jokes are made at the expense of those in our society just gaining power for who have little power. It would be a nice dream to think maybe I have evolved, it would be easier to say GTA has just lost its edge so I could blame the game, but probably it is both. I have evolved enough to see what I though was funny was just mean, bigoted, and done out of fear on my part. Yet, the game has lost sight that satire of the powerful is a leveler whereas satire of people who lack power is just 'hitting when they are down'.

Oh, I appreciate that game for what it does well. But, no amount of mechanical wonder should allow me to ignore the crass, misfired satire being leveled at parts of society that have seen too much savaging and too much bullying. Just because everyone gets savaged in the satire does not mean the damage is equally shared, in a power vacuum where some have power and other do not there is no "its all fair".