Would Jeff say a game sux while it has ads & layout all over GB ?

• 75 results
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

(had to type "sux" because the title limit is so fucking unbelieveable) 

Anyway, this is the first time i see an ad for a game on GB (i live in israel) not sure why these AC2 ad & layout came through, and i was watching Ryan's video review of AC2 and was  wondering "say that a major game with ads and a layout all over the site, turned out to be the biggest disappointment of the decade.. would the GB staff member / reviewer actually go "And so, you guys, with a major shock i tell you do not buy this piece of trash" while the background is a massive ad/background of the game ? " 

P.S. i emphasized on the game being huge because i learned that the staff dudes said they wouldnt advertise just ANY game.

i tend to think of stuff like that because we cant deny that  ads or mini contests (like the ODST one) may contain relationships with developers and publishers (i understand GB and Atlus are friends now? things like that), so it all counts. Also,  people change and bad days always come [and friendships usually end, etc... lolz] so what the staff says they believe in today, might change tomorrow.. its just how humans progress and it makes you think. most of you deny such solid facts about society and people because life cant be all cool and awesome if people do acknowledge the big possibility of things going bad. 

Anyway, no troll included, i was actually wondering that and wanted to see what others think. I love giantbomb, its my favorite website and i got nothing against it. im not questioning jeff's editorial coverage so much as wondering if that would actually happen in those circumstances and with the relationships Giantbomb MIGHT have with that one particular publisher/dev .

P.S. If you're one of the pityful tools who put on their bloody debate uniform and fireback with anger and full seriousness, i beg of you to ignore my poll, because i, unlike you, dont tend to forget that im just a laid-back dude on the net with occasional thoughts and questions, some of which may be unwise or stupid, which dont always have to turn into a brutal deathmatch where one of us is RIGHT and the other is an IDIOT with INVALID POINTS and NO PROOFZ and all that.. the internet makes you forget that we're random flawed humans and makes you demand perfection all the time. i cant give you that and you shouldnt ask for it... 

just relax and answer, thank you.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

hmmm

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By metal_mills

You don't know how GB was made do you?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Metal_Mills said:
" You don't know how GB was made do you? "
or DO i ?
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By super_machine

I think they said at the PAX conference that they have a lot more control over what ads go up on the site. So I doubt they are going to let something like GI Joe the game get plastered knowing in advance that the game was probably going to be trash. In the end, who cares? Its not like Jeff is going to fire himself for pissing off a sponsor.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By metal_mills
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
or DO i ? "
Well you'd know the answer to this poll if you did.
meismike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By meismike

Just pointing this out, and i might have my facts wrong, but i believe the ads for ac2 came out after his written review was posted.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Metal_Mills said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
or DO i ? "
Well you'd know the answer to this poll if you did. "
or WOULD i? 

think about it.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

I think its more likely that they already knew what they would give the game before they signed up for a full-site ad. 

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Well yeah, this isn't GameSpot, plus he's his own boss, so it's not like he can fire himself.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Jensonb

I answered this on the IRC, but here it is again:

Giant Bomb has the same business model as Penny Arcade. They only advertise things they like and expect us to be interested in. That way they can't be held to ransom, and the ads are less annoying and more valuable. So this situation could never arise, and with the way Giant Bomb is set up, and its history, everyone on Editorial can be trusted to tell us their honest opinions.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@super_machine said:
" I think they said at the PAX conference that they have a lot more control over what ads go up on the site. So I doubt they are going to let something like GI Joe the game get plastered knowing in advance that the game was probably going to be trash. In the end, who cares? Its not like Jeff is going to fire himself for pissing off a sponsor. "
1. if they actually play every game early on and make sure its great before any reviews or ad contracts, then ok. but if they cant always try it out fully before an ad contract, then it might disappoint them even if they did think its great.. which is something i pointed out. big games do disappoint sometimes dont they ? 

2.im not asking "who's gonna fire whom?" im asking "would he piss of a sponsor and [OPTIONAL] a friend, in the first place ?"
Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Just to point something first, Giant Bomb's review is if Im not mistaken, the lowest this game has scored on sites with credibility. So, NO, I doubt it will inflict any pressure on him. Though I dont supposse that Eidos is gonna move around here anytime xD

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fwylo
@AgentJ said:
" I think its more likely that they already knew what they would give the game before they signed up for a full-site ad.  "

I agree chances are they aren't going to advertise for a game that is going to bust.  But given the reason of creation of Giant Bomb I would have to say they are in it for us and would definitely give us a truthful review.
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cazamalos
@super_machine said:
" I think they said at the PAX conference that they have a lot more control over what ads go up on the site. So I doubt they are going to let something like GI Joe the game get plastered knowing in advance that the game was probably going to be trash. In the end, who cares? Its not like Jeff is going to fire himself for pissing off a sponsor. "

/thread

no much "shity" games can affort that kind of publicity but if that kind of thing come up, they're actually selecting what ads they put.
 ps: i use adblock plus plugin so the only ads i ever seen on GB was the Halo:Odst  background image on the respective review, and the Dragon Age Origins logo on the XX eddition of QOTW.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Ahmad_Metallic:  I don't pay attention to scores or reviews, except when the game is especially bad and I read the review or watch it for laughs.   I'm here for the quick looks, TANG and the endurance run...
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VWGTI

I think they pick good games on purpose.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar
@VWGTI said:
" I think they pick good games on purpose. "
this. If anything (and thats a big IF), it almost looks like they knock the game DOWN a tad if it has an ad, at least thats what it seemed to me in the AC2 review. Im not even going to compare with the majority of other sites's scores of AC2, but Ryan only says good things about it, with one of the few complaints is the repetition of some of the open world dialogue (like people shouting money money when you throw some cash on the floor). reading the review it just felt like a 5 star, not 4. Again, i said "if anything..."
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By matthew
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @super_machine said:
"im asking "would he piss of a sponsor and [OPTIONAL] a friend, in the first place ?" "
It's already been done.
History has a tendency to repeat itself.
_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By _Phara0h_

In a review YES but if he is doing a quick look he will say what he dislikes but will not give a divinative negative conclusion but he won't do that to any game...

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rhaknar
@THAfara0 said:
" In a review YES but if he is doing a quick look he will say what he dislikes but will not give a divinative negative conclusion but he won't do that to any game... "
yeah... he totally didnt say Jurassic The Hunted, or Darkest Days, or tons of others were shit...oh wait, he did.
_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By _Phara0h_
@Rhaknar said:

" @THAfara0 said:

" In a review YES but if he is doing a quick look he will say what he dislikes but will not give a divinative negative conclusion but he won't do that to any game... "
yeah... he totally didnt say Jurassic The Hunted, or Darkest Days, or tons of others were shit...oh wait, he did. "
Ok but it's easy with the bad games and those type of "bad games" will not be advertising anywhere, and even with out the commenting on those quick looks you could see that they are bad games.
AND with the Ride quick look there are more undertones or it more implied that it's a "bad game"
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By demonbear
@Ahmad_Metallic: You know Ahmad, i've been reading you here and there for a year now and this is the first time you actually post something that got me thinking. This is a very, very good question and its hard to tell.

Because Whiskey Media and Jeff are, im guessing, much more closer and friendlier to each other than Gamespot and Jeff might've been. Whiskey is a smaller company and from what we've seen of the staff so far, all great folks. So it would probably be harder to bash on a game that just paid good cash to Whiskey. 

I think they probably choose who advertise on giantbomb very wisely. Big budget, low risk games is easier to advertise.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

They wouldn't run the ads if they thought the game 'sucked'.  Whether or not they insist on playing the final product before making that decision, or just go on best guess, I couldn't say.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Evilsbane

They Did Ads for Brutal Legend and the game got a 3 out of 5 AND they even having a working relationship with Tim and it still didn't get any undue praise so No GB is rock solid.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

If he felt so, yes. They arent hypocrites and arent being paid to like any of the games they advertise. If they were, they wouldnt be here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jensonb said:
" I answered this on the IRC, but here it is again:  Giant Bomb has the same business model as Penny Arcade. They only advertise things they like and expect us to be interested in. That way they can't be held to ransom, and the ads are less annoying and more valuable. So this situation could never arise, and with the way Giant Bomb is set up, and its history, everyone on Editorial can be trusted to tell us their honest opinions. "
Yep, this was answered by Jeff at an event, I can't remember the name now.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By C0V3RT

It's the inherent problem of having a 5 point scale is that 3/5 isn't terrible - it's average and 4/5 is great.  However when throwing it up on Metacritic - it can look like GB is scoring low in comparison to sites that use a full 10 point or 100 point grading system. 

I could be wrong but weren't there some Arkham Asylum ad's on the site?  Published by Eidos, folks.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

No one cares....the 5 out of 5 scale is completely fine, and theres no need for anything else. No one here, or staff at Giantbomb, give a flying fuck whatsoever about metacritic and what they do with the scoring. Not intended for that to come off really h arsh or anything, just stating.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

Sure, but I'm not sure they're going to try to advertise a shitty game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By breadfan

Why not?  Just because a company advertises on the site does not guarantee themselves a good review for a bad game.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Black_Rose

Jeff said in the PAX panel that GB only advertises good games or something along those lines, so it's very unlikely. 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By breadfan
@L1D3N said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" Why not?  Just because a company advertises on the site does not guarantee themselves a good review for a bad game. "
Are you kidding? The politics of the business/gaming world begs to differ. People get fired for rating a game low that has advertised on gaming websites. "
True, but it would be a little different since Jeff kinda runs Giant Bomb. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fwylo
@L1D3N said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" Why not?  Just because a company advertises on the site does not guarantee themselves a good review for a bad game. "
Are you kidding? The politics of the business/gaming world begs to differ. People get fired for rating a game low that has advertised on gaming websites. "
Pretty sure they can't get fired from their own website though...
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Alex_V
@Black_Rose said:
" Jeff said in the PAX panel that GB only advertises good games or something along those lines, so it's very unlikely.  "
That's the impression I got. I think it must be a difficult line to tread, however impartial you want your reviews to be. I sensed that  the ODST review earlier this year was carefully worded to avoid offense, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Suicrat

Well, let's be clear here, guys. Jeff doesn't own Giant Bomb, Whiskey Media does. But the Venture Capitalist who owns Whiskey Media gave Jeff the technology and the resources to build the website he wanted to build, and gave him free reign to fill it with his editorial content, because this is the value the venture capitalist is trying to cultivate from Jeff and the rest of the Giant Bomb crew: honest, but light-hearted discussion surrounding the world of video games, with a bunch of random and fun crap thrown into the mix. Whiskey Media would be undermining their own investment if they were to attempt to stifle Jeff or any other producer of editorial content on this site.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RedRoach
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" Well yeah, this isn't GameSpot, plus he's his own boss, so it's not like he can fire himself. "
he is not necessarily. GB is owned by Whiskey Media (check bottom left corner of this page) and there are probably some guys that have the authority to fire Jeff, but i highly doubt that would ever happen.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dbz1995
@Jason_Bourne said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
" Well yeah, this isn't GameSpot, plus he's his own boss, so it's not like he can fire himself. "
he is not necessarily. GB is owned by Whiskey Media (check bottom left corner of this page) and there are probably some guys that have the authority to fire Jeff, but i highly doubt that would ever happen. "
I though they were powered by pancakes and booze? *sad face*

I think the Giantbomb staff know what they are advertising-the one that had the most chance of flopping was Dragon Age: Origins, and that turned out to be great. But its interesting how they didn't advertise Modern Warfare 2 (from what I know)-that was never going to be an awful game.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Driadon

He's a professional man and his duties lie on giving proper coverage, including accurate reviews. He's definitely not one who will cave into giving a game a better review all because a publisher rolls up with a truck full of money.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Maybe the advertisers sign some sort of contract that doesn't guarantee a dazzling review, even if their game is colored all over the website. 

IDK, just a guess. 

nameless_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nameless_one

Take everything with a grain of salt and think for yourself. From my perspective I see the whole Jeff situation as a bit ironic because now he is in the shoes of having to generate revenue for the site and game publishers are the best takers. What makes this even tougher is that Giant Bomb is a small operation and the revenue is that much more critical to keeping his boat afloat. So losing advertisements because of a poor review could mean dire times. Granted his public intentions are a bit more honest about who he lets advertise on the site and why, so hopefully this situation won't rise too often. But it could happen. If Giant Bomb is taking the same approach as Penny Arcade for potential game advertisements and previewing games during their development cycles to ensure they are backing a good product, it's a step in the right direction. But it is hard to know how games are going to end up during the development cycle and sometimes games are made or broken in their final days of development (ie gta3).

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kazona

The first thing I thought of when reading this question was the Lego Rock Band review. We all know that the GB crew and Alex Navaro are good friends, and that Alex is completely into Harmonix. If Jeff or any of them were really worried about ruining their friendship with Alex, I am sure they would have given it a higher score than a 3 out of 5, regardless of ads. 

I'm pretty certain that if they're not worried about pissing off an actual good friend with their reviews, then they won't be too concerned about pissing off some sponsor.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@Kazona: I thought Alex was a community manager and didn't actually develop games. Or maybe not... ahhhh I forget.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he did for Gamespot, I can't see why he wouldn't for a website he runs.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bass

I only say no because I don't think the team would approve of ads for games that they believe "suck." They say that they wont allow stuff that we wouldn't be interested in; something of good quality. So, it's not that i don't think jeff or ryan or whoever wouldn't give a game any star rating it deserves, its just they wont advertise it if it isn't any good. 

Also, I qualify that 3 stars is a good rating, and that it doesn't seem unlikely to see a 3 star advertised game

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Binman88
@C0V3RT said:
" It's the inherent problem of having a 5 point scale is that 3/5 isn't terrible - it's average and 4/5 is great.  However when throwing it up on Metacritic - it can look like GB is scoring low in comparison to sites that use a full 10 point or 100 point grading system.  I could be wrong but weren't there some Arkham Asylum ad's on the site?  Published by Eidos, folks. "
I'd say that an inherent problem of Metacritic, not the scale. It can in a way help Giantbomb traffic on occasions where a game is given 5 stars, as it translates to a 100 score on Metacritic which lands it at the top of the pile.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By C0V3RT
@Binman88 said:
" @C0V3RT said:
" It's the inherent problem of having a 5 point scale is that 3/5 isn't terrible - it's average and 4/5 is great.  However when throwing it up on Metacritic - it can look like GB is scoring low in comparison to sites that use a full 10 point or 100 point grading system.  I could be wrong but weren't there some Arkham Asylum ad's on the site?  Published by Eidos, folks. "
I'd say that an inherent problem of Metacritic, not the scale. It can in a way help Giantbomb traffic on occasions where a game is given 5 stars, as it translates to a 100 score on Metacritic which lands it at the top of the pile. "

Yes, thats what I meant.  It is the problem of metacritic trying to standardize different review systems. 
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kazona
@TheJollyRajah: Yea, he is a community manager. But he is part of the company, and from what I understand he is really into his job, so my guess is that a bad review hits him nearly as bad as it does the actual developers. Note that I said nearly, because there's no way he would be as upset about it as a guy who spent months upon months coding or designing for a game.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Adamantium

No... not because I think he'd allow the advertising to influence his opinion, but because I think his opinion influences which ads he'll allow on the site; and he wouldn't let a site so closely related to him/his reputation advertise a game he didn't already have full confidence in.

Also I'm pretty sure the GB crew owns a majority of the site, so they pretty much don't have to worry about some moneyman higher up trying to influence or fire them.