Would or Could Whiskey Media benefit from a "Gaming" Website?

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheKbob

I haven't posted a ton here on Giantbomb and the other WM network places but I'm thinking of pitching in my bucks towards an all access pass for the continued support of this awesome group. 

I had a general question that maybe some folks would like to discuss.  Do you think Whiskey Media would benefit from a Gaming Site and by gaming, I do not mean video games.  I would love to have an all access portal like all the other Whiskey sites for Pen and Paper, Table Top, Miniatures, Strategy, Board, Card, etc. type games.  I have been an avid D&D player for years now and will be investing into Warhammer  40K soon.  Played various card games over the years and also board games and other pen and paper frolics. 

The way this network of sites presents material is awesome and I'd love to have another place to surf. :P 

Thoughts?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

no

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I dont think so

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HellBrendy

So you are asking if they should do a site like this but about tablegames and the likes?  

I would love that. And they should call it "SilentBomb". 

Avatar image for holdenlafayette
HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

If they had anyone on board who had a passion for that stuff I don't see why it couldn't work. I for one would really enjoy something like that from these guys, but unless they're familiar with that industry I'm not sure I see it happening. And I'm not sure this is the right audience for that--your average Giant Bomb user is probably kind of young. Probably.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TonicBH

BoardGameGeek kind of has that particular category covered. Would be hard to strongarm WM into that group unless you got dudes who are passionate about that, because I doubt they wanna hire a bunch more guys right now.

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheKbob

To me it seems that Whiskey Media has made sites recently that are going to toe to toe in even more saturated markets.  Tested versus the other major blogs, not including tech sites.  Giantbomb versus the myriad of gaming sites, as well. 

Whiskey seems to bring more "soul" to their web pages than most of the other groups, hence a more community driven site would probably attract others from more sterile ones.  

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Feanor

I doubt they'd do it. But its no loss, you wouldn't get any good coverage anyways, Just more drunk people.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ManlyBeast

God that sounds horrible to me.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brunchies

No, I hate that idea so much.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

No, but I'm sure there are sites like that out there.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brendan

I'm not very knowledgeable about table-top games, but it's a pretty niche market to make a website about.  It would probably struggle to get any traffic.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Afroman269

nah

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Undeadpool
@gakon5 said:
" I'm not big into any of those things (although I appreciate them from a distance), but I figure those communities are so niche that they already have well-established websites, forums, etc.  So for Whiskey to come in and say "we want to make a tabletop gaming site", they'd need to go out of their way to really do something different.  The built-in audience might not be there. "
They made a movie website this late in the game, so it's not completely ridiculous. 

I think it could be interesting as I don't really have a tabletop site that I frequent (nor am I really in the market for one since I and my friends have such wildly different schedules that we don't have time for it these days) but it'd be nice just to have a convenient place for it.
silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By silentghost227

Just make it a site where whiskey media people play board games drunk.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainCody

No.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

You know, I don't like Warhammer 40K and all that but, god love 'em, the people who work in my local Games Workshop are a bunch of nice, friendly guys. I was in there once with a friend and I left feeling terrible that I didn't have a clue abut what any of it was.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By Sin4profit

I think it would be better left as some spin off thing on Giant bomb...and by that i mean, maybe one of the guys plays one of the board games that are out there and talks about it once in awhile.  I don't see a whole site dedicated to it though. That's what the Giant Bomb community is for..i just hope they do more with the community features that better allows sub groups to find each other, like a "pen & paper games " group or whatever.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenousrattler

while i have played quite a few tabletop games, i don't think whiskey media would benefit from a site dedicated to them, its just too niche.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HellBrendy
@gakon5 said:
" I'm not big into any of those things (although I appreciate them from a distance), but I figure those communities are so niche that they already have well-established websites, forums, etc.  So for Whiskey to come in and say "we want to make a tabletop gaming site", they'd need to go out of their way to really do something different.  The built-in audience might not be there. "
And how many videogamesites were there in 2008? How many moviesites and techsites were in 2010?
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Colin

Never.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Helushune

Possibly.  The issue being that it would fill a small niche and how much do you cover?  Every card game out there?  Only a select few?  What about all the homebrew stuff?  I'd welcome a site like what you're describing but I believe it'd have to go through some design and set some ground rules.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mazik765

I say yes, can't be worse than anime vice.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

So would that include games like yugioh?

No Caption Provided
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gabriel

"Throws up"

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheKbob

I appreciate the folks who are responding with insight instead of just simple answers with no explanation.  I'm not a fan of Comics in any form, but I wouldn't disregard someone else's affinity for them. 

Any of the folks reading this thread know of any good gamer sites?

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By blackbird415

It'd be cool. I just dont see them doing it any time soon

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By PerryVandell

No, while there are definitely people out there who still play table top games, I think the audience is too small for the site to ever become successful. Not too mention I'm not sure there's enough "new" stuff in the world of table top games worth mentioning. (Although I could be wrong, as I know almost nothing of them).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd frequent it.  I think it would be awesome.

But the nerds at the comic place, and the nerds at the video game place think they have some superiority over the nerds at the tabletop place.  Tanfastic.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Jimbo

How big is the non-video gaming market?

I'd figure Music and/or Books would be a decent shout for what the next sites will be.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#32  Edited By ImperiousRix

I absolutely love board games and card games.  Not so much table-top games, but it would be cool to have a site that supports that stuff. 
Cool idea.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By trace
@TheKbob said:
" I appreciate the folks who are responding with insight instead of just simple answers with no explanation. "
I always agree with this statement. It's nice to see a significant contribution to a discussion over a quick and simple statement that doesn't add much.

I'd be interested in seeing a Whiskey tabletop/board/card game site, even though I wouldn't be able to contribute anything to it, since I barely get a chance to play any games of that sort. It's not exactly my field of knowledge, and like someone mentioned earlier, BoardGameGeek has a lot of that information pretty well covered right now. BGG's only disadvantage is a somewhat cluttered and outdated look to the site, which Whiskey could certainly outdo. Any additions to a Whiskey site of that nature would likely be cribbed from sites like BoardGameGeek, which probably isn't all that helpful to anyone, either. Then there's the legit criticism that there might not be enough of an audience for such a site, and it'd be weird trying to dig up enough interesting news and stories for that kind of site.

Still, it'd be a heck of a way for me to get interested in some board games -- at the very least, it might be enough to encourage me to pick up a copy of Formula D.
ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

i would go as far to say that they need a pro wrestling database site before they should at all work on the website you're pitching

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKbob

I think if the spectrum was broad enough to include the topics I mentioned there would be quite a load of material.  Card games alone get multiple expansions and rules revisions on a yearly basis (Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh, while not my thing, have seen five or more expansions this year I think?). 

Warhammer, fantasy and sci-fi, get revisions, new models, and could benefit from painting tips from "pros" and developer commentary on strategy just as you could find in a video game RTS.  This would obviously apply to other table top RPG and Strategy based minis (Hero Clix is quite popular, too, but  not my thing). 

Finally, the published RPG games always have a slew of new stuff, new revisions, and D&D is pumping out tons of new settings, splat books, and other various products.    

It would be a site dedicated to the "wireless" nerdery that I hope never dies. To folks who "shun" the idea, I do suggest trying something that might fancy you as most of the popular video game genres today are based around the dimly lit subterranean dwellings and back room shenanigans of yore.  My University, that I just graduated from, had a growing gamer crowd and I now miss it.   

The only downside to most of those hobbies is the cost, usually.  TCGs/CCGs have revisions and rules that demand new cards, pen and paper games get new revisions and add-ons, and the minis gaming speaks for itself.  

Needless to say, I think there would be plenty of content to hit on, but it would have to have the market.  That's another story as it's hard to gauge the ambiguous blob that is that crowd. 

@ThePhenomenal1 said:

" i would go as far to say that they need a pro wrestling database site before they should at all work on the website you're pitching "

Now you're giving too much credit to a crowd that you'd have to expect to have internet... let alone being able to read... 

;) (I keed, I keed, but they can be covered in the "fantasy" section for sure)
eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By eljay

Board games have sadly fallen into a subservient role when compared with video games. There's no doubt there is a very dedicated group of people who still love to play them (myself included), but suggesting Whiskey could create a community dedicated entirely to them is a bit of a stretch.

If anything, board games could be supported the same way most other video game sites do, giving occasional shout outs to new releases and doing whatever they can to support the continuation of these games. With games like Risk and Blood Bowl gaining popularity online, many video games sites are already supporting classic board games, just in a new environment.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By grilledcheez

I think it would be a neat idea...I love playing board games but rarely get to do so.  I'd love to learn what games are out there that I might want to try out.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Noodles

It would be cool if they integrated some analog gaming into one of the other sites as a subsection (Comic Vine seems like it would be the best fit because the whole "comic book shop = D&D hang out spot"), but I don't think a full site would work out. Or be profitable, for that matter.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Toxin066

I could use a site for all my Candyland needs. 

No. Whiskey would not benefit from a tabletop gaming website.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sparklykiss

It's a much better idea than a music WM site that some people have been suggesting. And you could tug in some of the people from Comic Vine and Anime Vice, since they have a ton of people into the whole Role Playing thing. I think it's a pretty good idea, I haven't really found any tabletop game sites (Tie in LARPing just for the fun factor, too!) that I could really get into or had a really favorable community... So it could be pretty fun if they gave it a shot. Not exactly sure if they'd be able to find staff to work for it, though. Considering they haven't even really staffed out Anime Vice, I don't even know who runs that place anymore. So this idea could probably never happen. Sad panda, indeed. 

Sorry for the slight ramble to myself. >.>;;