Would you be into a dedicated Giant Bomb channel?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you be into a dedicated Giant Bomb channel? (137 votes)

Yes, I'd be on that all the time 35%
Yeah, I'd check that out 39%
Sounds okay, might take a look when I'm bored 12%
No thanks/I don't see the appeal 13%

Listening to these Bombcast Rewind Mixlr channels had me thinking about a Giant Bomb constant video stream. Obviously this couldn't be something that was constantly airing original content. Rather this could serve as a bit of a community hub where people could chat and watch Quick Looks, archived streams, and other Giant Bomb content (interviews, panels, mailbags). I've spent enough time on Quick Look Crew watching random Quick Looks, watching old UPFs on the site, and sitting in the Mixlr channels that I think there is totally a demand for something more dedicated.

Would you guys be into a website, or even a Giant Bomb site feature, where randomly selected, old Giant Bomb content was aired 24 hours a day with chat?

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Hasn't somebody tossed this idea around before in another thread? I remember something vaguely like this before.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hatking

@video_game_king: I think Jeff talked about it at one point. I'm not sure how feasible the idea is for them though. Especially right now while they're in middle of a transition period. But, once East is up and running, between three sources of content, I could almost see something like this happening naturally.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Seems like this would be prohibitively expensive, then there is the matter of there being a lot of Premium-only videos, which would mean the feature would have to be ran by Giant Bomb and not a third party. Otherwise, one could just set up a YouTube playlist of a selection of uploads from the official Giant Bomb channel and attach a simple IRC frame to it.

Like this: http://www.explosiveruns.com/

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

If you manage to get some videos that aren't on the site on there, like the SNES stream and stuff, I'd probably watch it at times.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I'm not really talking about practicality. I have no way of doing this. But, hypothetically.

It's weird, to me. Giant Bomb has a massive catalog of high quality, original content. And, as far as I can tell, it just kind of sits there. Why not take advantage of all the stuff they've recorded? I was just trying to think of a way they could do that, outside of just reposting old stuff on the homepage.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I already put random Giant Bomb videos on while I am doing stuff, so I would totally check that stream out.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By KaneRobot

I'd probably be into that, as long as it's at least mildly curated so there's always something good on. I have the main WWE Network channel on in the background fairly frequently, and this would kind of be the same thing.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#8 riostarwind  Moderator

I wouldn't mind having a place to go to just to watch random Giant Bomb videos every now and then. Since I tend to watch old content randomly during the week anyway.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By freakin9

Sounds like a lot of effort when all their content is already in a better format, on demand.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

Having a live chat to shoot the shit with some duders open all the time would be cool.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

Just recently caught up on all of the bombcast and have nothing to listen to at work at the moment so this would be something awesome to have.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Definitely.

Larka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Larka

Live chats would be awesome !

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

What we really need is Jeff's voice constantly booming out of loudspeakers throughout every major city in the world :o

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A live chat with a random playlist of Giant Bomb videos running all of the time would be awesome.

Reminds me of the fact that I used to really like the random video button on the front page, it was a great way to see videos I hadn't seen before, or ones I hadn't seen for a while.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking hypothetically, not having to worry about any practicalities, yeah, something like that would be a lot of fun. If you could just have random videos running all the time and chat going, it would be cool. The dream scenario might be if upcoming videos debuted on this channel, so everybody could watch the latest quicklook or whatever simultaneously with everyone else in the chat.

But yeah, the reality of putting something together like that is probably not entirely feasible. Seems like a lot of aspects would be prohibitive. The logistics of the system, the maintenance of it, the increase to data that the site would have to be pushing out without maybe having any real increase in traffic, all of that.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mjk0104

I would totally be into that, I do like @damodar's idea as well, to have quick looks play on that channel when they're released, so we could have all the stupid chat-antics of a live show without actually having it live.

Logistically and technically it'd probably be a bit of a nightmare, do you include premium content? Do you include random episodes of the endurance runs out of order? (Actually, you could probably just run endurance runs like a tv show, that'd be pretty awesome) Do you bring it down during actual live-streams or leave it running? Realistically, it probably wouldn't be financially viable to be putting that much effort into something only a small number of people would be using at any one time. I suppose they could put ads in it to get a bit of compensation, I wouldn't mind a few ads between videos if it supported it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@video_game_king: Yeah, a while ago someone suggested leaving giantbomb.com/chat up all the time and just having it cycle through Quick Looks while there is no live stream on.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'd be more interested in there being a 24hr chat on the Giant Bomb site where we could discuss things in real time, link to articles and so forth.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be up for that as having chat makes anything better. Speaking of random videos, is there a link that redirects you to a random GB video?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'd be up for that as having chat makes anything better. Speaking of random videos, is there a link that redirects you to a random GB video?

http://qlcrew.com/

click on Random Video underneath the video player

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random Giant Bomb videos with chat sounds pretty cool to me, would definitely be a fun thing to have. Don't know if it's feasible to make, but it sounds super cool.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Thanks. I got Daytona karaoke!

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-daytona-usa/2300-5152/