Would you care if Sonic went away and was never seen again?

• 61 results
Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nuttycam

I wouldn't. I pray for it often.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Hell no. Without Yuji Naka, Sonic Team will just grab ideas from some focus group and fuck the fans up.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well there would always be Sonic 2 in existence so I'm cool with it. Just don't propose taking my Sonic 2 away!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I'd rather a really good Sonic game come out.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob
@JJWeatherman said:
" Well there would always be Sonic 2 in existence so I'm cool with it. Just don't propose taking my Sonic 2 away! "

I don't want Sonic to go away. If he did now, he'd just be remembered for shitty games. I would like him to have one final great title on the same level as his Megadrive games and then go. A swan-song.
Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nuttycam
@Diamond:  I'd rather my dog shat gold buy y'know
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By rinkalicous

Sonic games are my guilty pleasure. I really enjoy the new ones, even though i know I shouldn't. I actually enjoyed Unleashed... and, though I hate to admit it... Sonic and the Black Knight. I know! I'm a fool! But I can't help it!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dalai

Sonic needs to go on a long vacation, but I wouldn't want to see him completely disappear.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By DrRandle

I would prefer they make good games, instead. But I like having awesome things instead of arbitrary wishing things away, as though their existence is some how detrimental to my own, which it's not.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Dalai said:
" Sonic needs to go on a long vacation, but I wouldn't want to see him completely disappear. "
I think thats a better wording of what I wanted to say.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cstrang

I wouldn't shed any tears if they retired Sonic.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By toast_burner

We still have the sonic collection on the ds to come and the 2D HD sonic might be good
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MysteriousBob
@toast_burner said:
" We still have the sonic collection on the ds to come and the 2D HD sonic might be good "
Don't forget "Project Needlemouse". 

I'm still going to be cautious about that. I recall saying Sonic Unleashed would be Sonic's comeback when the first trailer debuted. I was wrong. Very wrong.
Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nuttycam

True,  they can't make a good new game, may aswell keep selling the old ones.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Not at all. To be honest, i wouldn't really if Mario went either.  I mean sure, Mario 64 was fun, but that for me is where Mario ended. And i never really got into Sonic unfortunately. I got the Sonic Collection for the Gamecube for €2 and that was all, i never played it more than an hour.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By DanielJW

I've never played a Sonic game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

The Sonic games where good back on the SEGA consoles. Everything released after that time period has been pretty much soiled the brand making it as bout as valuable as liquid shit on a stick. 

So no i don't care, i have my good memories from back in his hay day, put his poor soul to rest.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

No, I want him to stay around. But yeah, I think they need to stop and spend a few years coming up with ideas for a good Sonic game before they release another. Sonic's style of gameplay really just hasn't translated so well to 3D, especially when you're collecting rings and everything. Many people thought the Sonic Adventure games did it right, but really, a lot of your time was spent grinding rails in the game to keep your speed going, which is pretty weak.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

I think he needs to go away for a while. He was fun at the start but frankly I'm tired of seeing him trying to impress us...and fail hard.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaptainObvious

I wouldn't care. He looks like a drug dealer.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raviolisumo

I've never liked Sonic, even the old ones (Sorry).

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

90% of this community would love that, Im sure of it.

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Korone

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Sonic game, so no.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By yani

I reckon they should go back to 2D games.  The last sonic game I played was Sonic 3D on the MegaDrive.  I knew from that game that 3D Sonic games were a bad idea.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sonic needs a reboot. Lose the side characters and terrible cutscenes, and go back to 2d, or use 2d and 3d like Sonic Unleashed. They did make a few decent 2d Sonic games on the GBA ad DS, so all hope is not lost, but every console game he's been in for the last ten years or so has been shit. You'd think they'd have figured out that Sonic doesn't work so great in 3d by now, and that their side characters are annoying as hell and everyone hates them.

Basically, if you took Sonic Unleashed, put a little more emphasis on 2d sections, removed the cutscenes, got rid of the Werehog, and took out all the running around and talking to people in town, it would be exactly what I'd want in a new Sonic game.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Sonic needs a reboot. Lose the side characters and terrible cutscenes, and go back to 2d, or use 2d and 3d like Sonic Unleashed. They did make a few decent 2d Sonic games on the GBA ad DS, so all hope is not lost, but every console game he's been in for the last ten years or so has been shit. You'd think they'd have figured out that Sonic doesn't work so great in 3d by now, and that their side characters are annoying as hell and everyone hates them.   Basically, if you took Sonic Unleashed, put a little more emphasis on 2d sections, removed the cutscenes, got rid of the Werehog, and took out all the running around and talking to people in town, it would be exactly what I'd want in a new Sonic game. "
Also, Yuji Naka needs to return which will never happen.
angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By angelfan91

I wish BioWare would do Sonic games from now on.  Team Sonic needs to be either replaced or just shutdown. 
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dbz1995
 "Basically, if you took Sonic Unleashed, put a little more emphasis on 2d sections, removed the cutscenes, got rid of the Werehog, and took out all the running around and talking to people in town, it would be exactly what I'd want in a new Sonic game. "
Yes.

Do the same thing they've done to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, take away any supposed frustration, and you should ave at least a decent foundation to a new sonic game.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I probably would, eventually.  I have a lot of good memories playing the original three games.

But as of right now, he hasn't been in a single good game in years and I could care less if he went away.  I still think they should just leave him to rest and bring him back in several years with a really good game.  At the moment he's getting by on nostalgia and brand name alone, but give it a bit longer and people will forget about that and only remember the crap.  Even the die hard fans are going to lose interest sooner or later.

"They did make a few decent 2d Sonic games on the GBA ad DS, so all hope is not lost, but every console game he's been in for the last ten years or so has been shit. You'd think they'd have figured out that Sonic doesn't work so great in 3d by now, and that their side characters are annoying as hell and everyone hates them.   Basically, if you took Sonic Unleashed, put a little more emphasis on 2d sections, removed the cutscenes, got rid of the Werehog, and took out all the running around and talking to people in town, it would be exactly what I'd want in a new Sonic game. "

I see this posted quite frequently and have to completely disagree, being 2D or 3D has nothing to do with the problem.

The GBA/DS Sonic games are just as bad as any of the console games in that they completely fail to realise what made the originals good.  They're plagued with abysmal level design, requiring pre-cognitive powers to see coming obstacles which leads to your repeated death until you have the levels commited to memory.  Platform games should not be about trial and error.  They also continued with the horrendously cheesy, melodramatic storylines that people just don't care about.  At least Mario knows not to take himself too seriously.

Also the original Sonic Adventure, while it suffered from a lot of glitches and technicall issues, was actually a really good game.  It alone proves that Sonic CAN work in 3D, and it's almost mind boggling that none of the other games have managed to recapture the same feel and great design it had.
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nrain

No I want Sonic to always be around, if they made a fresh HD 2D sonic game for XBLA or PSN it could make my eyes truly bleed with the possibility for speed.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bubahula

no. i wouldn't care.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

You know what Sonic is to me? A place that makes tasty burgers and tater tots.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

When did Sonic 2 come out?  1992?   He hasn't existed in my gaming world since then anyway.   Someone needs to remake those two games with current gen graphics, then I would care, otherwise...meh (shrugs shoulders).

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By bacongames

When you make a game about going fast and running to the right, you can only stretch that so far and each dimension they tried had its wall.  It's weird looking back and realizing what those games were and seeing that they can never really do that same game again.  However if they do something different then people would cry foul and its not Sonic anymore.

It's like people scrambling for a sequel to Tetris.  Do we really need one?  I don't think so.

Sonic was a great game in its day but it had a very short franchise life and I'm okay with that.  Besides maybe Sega should focus on just making good games and hell making crazy games.  Who wouldn't want another of any crazy awesome Dreamcast game?  A really properly made sequel to Phantasy Star or Shenmue?  Whether good or bad, resorting back and back again to Sonic just ain't workin'.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArchScabby

I've never played a sonic game in my life, never cared about a blue spikey haired 90's mascot.  So hell no.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By TheHT

In a few years I'd probably think to myself one day "I miss those old Sonic games" and that would be the extent of that.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ninjakiller

Hopefully team sonic can take pointers from the NSMB game.  You can do 2d and it can be successful.  Just get away fom 3d for the love of god.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

Sonic was never good so the only reason to keep him around is so SEGA give Hideki Naganuma games to make music for.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MysteriousBob
@yani said:
" I reckon they should go back to 2D games.  The last sonic game I played was Sonic 3D on the MegaDrive.  I knew from that game that 3D Sonic games were a bad idea. "
That game was bloody Ocarina of Time compared to the modern real 3D games.
DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DewRequired
@ninjakiller said:
" Hopefully team sonic can take pointers from the NSMB game.  You can do 2d and it can be successful.  Just get away fom 3d for the love of god. "
^ Yep. I'd love a new Sonic game that is to the old ones as NSMB is to the original Super Mario Bros games.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slippy

The Sonic parts in Sonic Unleashed are actually quite good - it's just that Sega say they didn't have the time and manpower to stretch that across a 7 hour game, so they needed to add the shit Werehog parts as filler. If Sega gave them a properly funded 2-3 year development cycle, Sonic could probably rise again. Look what happened with Treyarch - COD3 sucked, their movie tie-in and superhero games sucked, but Activision gave them two years and a working engine to make World at War and the results were great.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CL60

No

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pazy

I would hate for Sonic to go away since im a big fan of Sonic. Although most of the new games are crap, though Sonic Unleashed's "Sonic" sections are good its the rest of it thats a problem, there are a lot of signs of a good game under there (like Sonic and the Secret Rings has some great moments but then they gave him a sword  in the sequel for some reason).

I remember an interview (was i on IGN? no idea) where one of the guys on Sonic team said that because Sonic runs so fast the amount of effort needed to make a 3 hour game is the same as a normal platform game that is 8 hours so the padding stuff (like Werehog, which as a side note means "Man-Hog" not "Wolf-Hog" hence "Were-Wolf") is required otherwise they will have to charge £40/$60 for a 3 hour game.

Personally I feel that if they removed the over emphasis on the secondary characters (though I think at this point Tails needs to stay unlike the crocodile dude or the bee person), ignore the stupid storyline (heres a story, Robotnik steals the Chaos Emeralds and Sonic runs after him saving some animals that Robotnik has turned into robots) and give us a mix of 2.5d (like Sonic Unleashed's Sonic sections) and full 3d (like Sonic Adventure). If they have a pathalogic need for secondary characters then go the Sonic Adventure route and have a mode for Sonic and seperate mode for Tails, Knuckles etc. so they can claim its got "50 hours of gameplay" or whatever an we will play our 6/8 hour long Sonic game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By Willy105

Sonic deserves to live. And live forever.

Until the day it has a game better than Mario.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 vs. Project Needlemouse! BELIEVE!!!!!

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slippy
@Willy105 said:

"Sonic deserves to live. And live forever.  Until the day it has a game better than Mario.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 vs. Project Needlemouse! BELIEVE!!!!! "

By that reasoning Sonic should have died in 1991.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Willy105
@Slippy said:
" @Willy105 said:

"Sonic deserves to live. And live forever.  Until the day it has a game better than Mario.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 vs. Project Needlemouse! BELIEVE!!!!! "

By that reasoning Sonic should have died in 1991. "
You probably quoted the wrong post....
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By CoolDrMoney

It'd be a relief

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Slippy
@Willy105 said:
" @Slippy said:
" @Willy105 said:

By that reasoning Sonic should have died in 1991. "
You probably quoted the wrong post.... "

"Until the day it has a game better than Mario" - he should have died straight away then as his first game was already better than Mario.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I wouldn't miss sonic at all, if I can help the process of destroying sonic forever, I would. I am not good at those games and I really don't find the gameplay appealing.

deadfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deadfm

If sonic games could ditch their stories, it'd be fine with me. Im playing sonic unleashed right now and it's kind of fun.. too bad for the stupid werehog shit.