Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) 1 year, 11 days ago

Poll: Would you like a subscriber only video edition of the Bombcast? (123 votes)

I'm a subscriber and I would love that! 42%
I'm not a subscriber and that would make me subscribe! 3%
I'm not a subscriber, and that would be cool, but would not make me subscribe! 6%
I don't think there should be a video version of the Bombcast! 33%
I don't even care! (see results) 16%

In this week's Bombcast Jeff joked about a video version of the Bombcast for $9.99, but would subscribers actually like a video version of the Bombcast? I'm not a subscriber (and this wouldn't make me subscribe), but I was wondering if people would actually be interested in the guys filming themselves doing the weekly Bombcast. No extra parts and they still just talk to each other (and not the camera), but you can see the guys do the stuff.

Bear in mind, we would probably notice the edits.

#1 Posted by TruthTellah (8831 posts) -

I've enjoyed whenever they had video in the podcast room; so, it would be a nice addition if we could have that.

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

No thanks. I don't need a video of them just talking.

#3 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

Hell yes.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (8831 posts) -

But imagine the faces that Vinny makes? Or the absurd gestures Jeff makes? And don't forget Brad checking his phone to look at pictures of spiders living on that spot on your back you can't scratch!

So much to see!

#5 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I wouldn't take advantage of it because I like having podcasts, but it's a cool feature to have and is popular for the Tested guys I think

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Subscriber only? No. No I wouldn't.

#7 Edited by tescovee (356 posts) -

I bet the reason they don't do it is because of bandwidth, a 3 plus hour show

#8 Posted by audioBusting (1511 posts) -

I wouldn't mind either way, but I'm not going to watch them. Maybe on special occasions.

#9 Posted by Scampbell (497 posts) -

If there was a choice between downloading the podcast and watching it I certainly wouldn't mind. Though I much prefer it as a PODCAST, something to listen to when I'm doing something else.

#10 Edited by Rabbykayn (223 posts) -

I listen to it in my car on the way to work, so I wouldn't have much use for a video edition.

Also the last time they tried toying with a subscriber function to the bombcast it blew up in their face. They were going to start making it so the first two hours were free but the last hour was for premium only and the reaction was not pretty.

Granted the video would be a "new" feature, so it's an easier sell.. whereas hacking off an hour and making it premium content is working in the opposite direction.

#11 Edited by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

Why would anyone watch that?

#12 Edited by Winsord (1212 posts) -

Video versions of podcasts usually just ruin good podcasts. Either they sit there entirely still and there's no point to having the video, or they start getting too into physical or visual things and it ruins the audio version of the podcast. RoosterTeeth switched to video a while back and it completely ruined their audio version, and Tested has offered video for a long time but there's rarely anything interesting going on on camera (it made more sense when they were livestreaming it). Besides, I don't know that switching a three hour plus podcast to video would bring in more traffic, which is what it's usually done for. Too much work for little to no benefit, or possibly loss.

#13 Posted by Flappy (2205 posts) -

Bingo.

#14 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1362 posts) -

@winsord said:

Video versions of podcasts usually just ruin good podcasts. Either they sit there entirely still and there's no point to having the video, or they start getting too into physical or visual things and it ruins the audio version of the podcast. RoosterTeeth switched to video a while back and it completely ruined their audio version, and Tested has offered video for a long time but there's rarely anything interesting going on on camera (it made more sense when they were livestreaming it). Besides, I don't know that switching a three hour plus podcast to video would bring in more traffic, which is what it's usually done for. Too much work for little to no benefit, or possibly loss.

Agree, and in no way do I want GiantBomb becoming more like RoosterTeeth.

#15 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

Nope. The bombcast stays as it is. If you want to watch them talk about video games (or anything else for that matter), there's unprofessional fridays.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

@morningstar said:

But imagine the faces that Vinny makes? Or the absurd gestures Jeff makes? And don't forget Brad checking his phone to look at pictures of spiders living on that spot on your back you can't scratch!

So much to see!

I really don't need to see them huddled in a podcast booth. I've seen video versions of podcasts before, and the video is the most superfluous thing about them.

#17 Posted by GunstarRed (5126 posts) -

Only if they're naked.

#18 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

I listen to the Rooster Teeth podcast and it really went downhill when they switched to video, and I don't just mean the audio quality.

Plus, I listen on the go. When I'm at a computer I avoid consuming content I can bring with me, so I wouldn't watch the video version anyway.

#19 Posted by 49th (2735 posts) -

Fuck no, I don't listen to the podcast inside anyway.

#20 Posted by billymagnum (801 posts) -

but podcasts arent supposed to have video...it would be taking a really simple setup and making it unnecessarily complicated for them. wheres the "i'm a subscriber, NO." poll option?

#21 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

Every piece of video content they do is effectively the bombcast.

#22 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

I actually hate video podcasts -- at least the ones where it's just people talking, like the Bombcast usually is. I just consume them like regular podcasts, but have to lug around my iPad to do so. So I don't really care.

#23 Posted by pyromagnestir (4301 posts) -

Anything that allows me to see more Drew is fine by me... <3

#24 Posted by Tearhead (2162 posts) -

I usually listen to the bombcast while doing other things (commuting, exercising, etc.), so I would never watch it.

#25 Edited by Marokai (2905 posts) -

Please, no. It seems completely pointless and a drain on resources, and once you introduce a camera to a previously audio-only format, you're naturally going to start playing to the camera in ways that makes listening to the audio versions less enjoyable. It also makes editing more of a hassle, for little reward.

#26 Edited by Sanity (1901 posts) -

Na, id still most likely just listen to it in audio form.

#27 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

No, it's too long and boring enough as it is, video wouldn't help any but waste time and bandwidth.

#28 Posted by McLargepants (375 posts) -

I like video podcasts, and maybe I'd watch it occasionally, but I'm good with having the Bombcast be audio only.

#29 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Creeper cam.

You guys are weird sometimes.

#30 Posted by Slag (4264 posts) -

No not really. I'd still listen to it without watching anyway