Would YOU pay a Giant Bomb subscription fee?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I simply can't. No credit card and no trust in Paypal. It's hardly possible to transfer money from Europe to the USA for me, aside from complicated shit like an "overseas bank transfer", which virtually no website accepts as far as I know.

Dimitrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Dimitrio
@RsistncE:
I know its incredible. I don't understand how people can stand behind paying $60 a month for XBL because its "worth" it, when PS3 is just as good.
iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#253  Edited By iiNF3RNo

NO

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Pantalooney

It depends what they give you with the subscription.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#255  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd probably be willing to pay a yearly subscription, assuming it was a reasonable amount and it had decent benefits.
Simply allowing more page editing options, for example, wouldn't be enough for me..

@Dimitrio said:

" @RsistncE: I know its incredible. I don't understand how people can stand behind paying $60 a month for XBL because its "worth" it, when PS3 is just as good. "

The PS3 doesn't come close to offering the same level of service as XBL, and even then..  most of the advanced features it does have were copied directly from XBL.  If it weren't for Xbox Live, you can be pretty sure that the PS3's online services would be no better than they were on the PS2.  I guess imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.
ThaWhiplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By ThaWhiplash

Lol no way, this is a good site an all but come on. You can still get your sources for games from elsewhere.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#257  Edited By metal_mills
@Dimitrio said:
" @RsistncE: I know its incredible. I don't understand how people can stand behind paying $60 a month for XBL because its "worth" it, when PS3 is just as good. "
$60 a MONTH? It's $50 a year, god.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#258  Edited By mikemcn
@ThaWhiplash said:

"Lol no way, this is a good site an all but come on. You can still get your sources for games from elsewhere. "

Ya, why pay when there are other sources all over. I could just get my news from some indie blog, and then listen to the bombcast, for free. But if they do start subscriptions, it wont deny you access to anything too important.
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#259  Edited By unsolvedparadox
Didn't read all the way through to see if it's been mentioned, but ESPN does a really good job with balancing free and premium content. There's still a ton of info and commentary on every sport for free, but Insider access offers additional content for the really hardcore fan (and some of the Insider contributors appear to have been hired after the program started, with the income earned with the premium subscriptions).

@atomic_dumpling
said:
" I simply can't. No credit card and no trust in Paypal. It's hardly possible to transfer money from Europe to the USA for me, aside from complicated shit like an "overseas bank transfer", which virtually no website accepts as far as I know. "
Visa sells prepaid cards/offers prepaid credits in some areas, if you're interested (not just for a potential Giant Bomb subscription, but anything).
mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#260  Edited By mathewballard

A lot would have to be offered for me to do so as I'm not one to pay for a sub to site that I don't put my life into. So I would have to say no.

retwakm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By retwakm
@mikecardii said:
" In the 3rd Giant Bomb PAX panel, Jeff briefly talked about a potential subscription based Giant Bomb dealy-ma-bob. If this were implemented, would you pay a fee for subscription and if you would, how much would you pay? I'd totally be for a yearly, or even monthly subscription. I would probably pay up to around 50 bucks a year, depending on what kind of benefits you'd get for subscribing. I already pay that for XBL and I'm completely happy with that service, and I think the Giant Bomb boys could make a subscription fee well worth it. "
depends what its for. if it is just for like beta keys and stuff i would be fine with it and i would pay lime 5 dollars a month but if they started having "subscriber only" vids i would probobally stop coming to this site
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#262  Edited By artofwar420

Let's see:

No ads
More "theme" options
High def videos...

WAIT NO! This is starting to sound awfully alike Gamespot. Don't do it. I'm down with more shirts.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm really busy most of the time, so I doubt it.  If it allowed interaction in live events, then I might consider it.  Even then, it would have to be during my free time.  We'll see where they go with it.

Dimitrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Dimitrio
@Metal_Mills:
Typo, sorry. lol 
Still, its $60 more than one should have to pay.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By ieatlions

when i heard subscription fee i thought of discounts on store items or acces to special store items.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By fynne

I already subscribe to IGN, so I've go no problems with paying for GB's awesome content.  As for price, I'd suggest something in IGN's range.

Katakalypto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Katakalypto

I guess it depends on what the benefits were.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#268  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I'm noticing that some of the newer members are more eager to pay a subscription fee...

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#269  Edited By Vorbis

To the Giantbomb MMO? of course.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Nettacki

I'd never pay a subscription for this site unless they put out a monthly magazine that has its own bells and whistles.

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By hamlaser

I would pay a monthly fee. It would filter out a lot garbage (both users and adds).

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#272  Edited By Cerza

While I love the GB crew and the site, I would not pay for a subscription fee here. At least not at this point. The reason being that I already subscribe to other bigger sites, am over subscribed as it is, and I don't think GB is big enough yet in terms of crew and as a business to deliver on the sort of premium content I would expect as a paying customer/subscriber. The boys here got a really good thing going as it is. I think they should keep doing what they're doing and go with the current business model. Don't fuck it up with subscriptions, because it's one thing when you're getting it for free, but it's totally another thing when you're paying for it.  What I mean by this is there is a different set of expectations that comes with paid content, which changes the mindset of the business catering to the paying users and user base that is paying for the premium content, not to mention the rift it would create between the free users and subscribers.

I'd gladly pay for some more shirts or hoodies though. How about one that says "Jeff Gerstmann wore this shirt "? I would so buy and proudly wear such a piece of apparel.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Supermarius

No. I love this site, but i would never pay for a subscription ever. The big thing is you can't charge for anything that was once free. Ever. If you do you go from being the awesome guys that the gaming community loves, to the enemy. I'm not saying its fair, but its how alot of people feel. 

Make a site where gamers can listen to your podcasts and watch your videos for free and your site visitors feel like they are your friends. We want to do stuff for you. Help you out. We want to spread the word about the site to get more traffic, write free wiki articles for you, send you free stuff,  and voluntarily turn off our adblocking on your pages.

Try to charge for that site or even for additional content and that tie is broken. We don't feel like your friends anymore. We feel like just a source of income. We dont want to do anything for you, because we are paying you. People start to feel like they owe you nothing, and you owe them everything. The desire to create new free content for the site goes to nil and the adblockers go back on. Further, people start pirating the crap out of whatever media you try to hide behind a paid subscription. Just ask the Ricky Gervais podcast people. They tried to monetize their content and it was on piratebay in hours. They went from one of the most popular podcasts in the world to basically nothing incredibly fast.

Its rough, but i think gaming sites need to find non-subscription ways to make money if they want to be relevant or popular with net-savvy gamers.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#274  Edited By Rio

No

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#275  Edited By TheGamerFix

Yeah I wouldn't mind paying a small fee, I'd feel good about helping the guys out. If there was some nice privelages as well then heck yeah.
StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#276  Edited By StarwindX9

I love this site to death... though I would feel rather upset if they did do a subscription service for content (i.e. videos and such). I would gladly opt of if it only removed ads or gave you access to more things in the store. I don't think it is a terrible idea to have a subscription... but to be brutally honest, I think it is a dick move. I have faith in this site though, so I am not going anywhere.

Ransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Ransom

absolutely not

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#278  Edited By xMP44x

I would consider it. I don't have a method of payment though, be it a PayPal, debit card etc.

If Normal members were heavily restricted (couldn't edit stuff, etc.), then I'd definitely consider  it.

hilld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By hilld

Probably. 

If only to support the editorial content. I couldn't give a flying fuck about special privileges or a T-Shirt.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Stang

I would if the privileges provided were worth it. I know the cash if going towards Friday night drink night, but it is all good. I appreciate what the guys have done here.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By _Nuno_

Yes, definitely.

anamanaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By anamanaman

For the love of god YES! No more ODST commercials. If that means 5-10 bucks a month out of my wallet, I'm cool with that. At least you know its going to an awesome team, and not some useless corp stockholders (cnet).

hilld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By hilld
@anamanaman said:
" For the love of god YES! No more ODST commercials. If that means 5-10 bucks a month out of my wallet, I'm cool with that. At least you know its going to an awesome team, and not some useless corp stockholders (cnet). "
Of all the commercials I've seen, ODST is far down the list in terms of obnoxiousness. 

It's not particularly flashy, not particularly loud, not over the top, and it offers a decent alternative to the "HERE'S MY GAME, AND HERE'S WHY IT'S FUCKING AWESOME" ads, that are so often touted on other sites.
pdwayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By pdwayne

I would. I still wouldn't mind ads. (they pay the bills)  Throw in a "free" item and I'm in. I've been listening to these guys for years (GB and the old GS days), that's worth it to me.

anamanaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By anamanaman
@hilld: I would agree, up until the point where I see the same damn ad 20 times.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By MikkaQ

I would, but only if the benefits are really nice, because eh, why not? It's a good site to support, and fees wouldn't ever be THAT high, knowing the model of the site, they'll probably start small, then add a lot of neat features in the future.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#288  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I would pay for a giantbomb magazine,about the bombcast and shit,god what a dream.
The_Bumble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By The_Bumble
@Zajtalan: YES. I was just thinking this. I fully endorse a Giantbomb mag. Dammit.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#290  Edited By crusader8463

No.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#291  Edited By nukesniper

I would probably pay some sort of fee, yes. But at this point I would rather buy shirts and stuff from them.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By ravensword

I would if they would  

A. bring video equipment to the E3 press conference so I can watch them on GB in HD.  

B. HD videos  

C. A t-shirt or something sent to me (or a Bomb plushie that had a face on it.) 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#293  Edited By JJWeatherman

I would, I think. I would want to for sure but it depends on the package.

Octavian1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Octavian1987

This is by far my favorite video game website. I would throw down around $5 a month for a little extra content...like maybe video to go along with the bombcast?  As long as it's a small fee, for NEW content / goodies I'm down with it. Anything to support GB!