Would you play a Dark Souls portable game?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seems like a good fit to me. Other than the blood stains which would require a persistent online connection, I believe it's a good style of game for it.

Thoughts?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My experience is that DS isn't a series best enjoyed in smaller portions of play, so no, not personally. I like longer handheld games too, but DS is best enjoyed on a console/PC for me.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was going to say yes at first. But now that I think about it, no. I think the small screen might be a hindrance to the game play.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wouldn't work as is and would have to be redesigned in such a way where checkpoints appeared way more frequently, which defeats a lot of the tension and challenge of the game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmmmm, combat is similar to Monster Hunter, in that respect maybe.

But no, I like the atmosphere a lot, and just discovering something just disgusting like the parasite in Blighttown, dear god that thing is offensive. It's a game I like to have the lights off and just get into it's deep dark corridors and then be happy when I see the sunlight whenever that happens.

Frostily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting mad and throwing a 3DS/Vita costs to much.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackLagoon

@rockyraccoon37: Why? I typically just suspend my portable games whenever I feel like taking a break, regardless of whether there's any checkpoint nearby.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockyraccoon37: Why? I typically just suspend my portable games whenever I feel like taking a break, regardless of whether there's any checkpoint nearby.

Sure but then that would require the game to allow pausing, which Dark Souls does not.

And personally speaking anyway I wouldn't want to play Dark/Demons Souls in smaller 30-45 minute chunks anyway. And having not had my hands on a PS Vita the controls would have to be solid to make that game in particular work well.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but that I wouldn't be interested in it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still can't get into it on the PC so I suppose I wouldn't. I don't think I'm the target audience for this question though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd rather not.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockyraccoon37: Suspending a game is a system level feature on the Vita. The game has no say in this this since the OS simply stops them from running, and I doubt they can even tell that they've been suspended.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd play a Dark Souls-like portable game? But not a Dark Souls portable game. If that makes any sense. I think it's totally doable to take some of the core features of a Demons/Dark Souls and put them into a game that, say, looks and plays like Zelda. Things like continuous saving, (more) technical combat, and the like. But I wouldn't play a straight 3DS or Vita port of those games.

I think it's do-able because of that 2D game that was on the Patrick's Worth Playing, Titan Souls. The thought of that combined with Link's Awakening's no-death ending seemed interesting. Neither is technically Demons/Dark Souls, but the thought of something like it on a portable seems compelling enough.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, I have Vagrant Story on my PSP.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ezekiel

Only if someone paid for mine. I don't like handhelds. I don't like that the developers have to make their games simpler/crappier to be playable and I'm usually not on a bus or train long enough to want to play something.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll take my Dark Souls type experiences where ever I can get them. That said if I had to choose I'd go for the full console experience.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Traditionally, shrinking down good console experiences and trying to stuff them on handhelds results in mediocre games, so no, not without some significant changes in recognition of the platform.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Nah. Dark Souls is the kind of game I want on a big screen, with a controller in my hand. That's not to say that it isn't possible, or that I wouldn't play it, but I prefer it on the big screen.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If they made it I would play it. I'd rather play it on a big screen but my Vita is just fine too. I typically play handheld games at night with headphones on so it could be a good fit actually.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more than you'll ever know.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Yes!

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, a game like that you need a big screen.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Vita plz

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely - on the Vita and if it was built from the ground up for it with care and attention. It's a tall order, but I think that'd be awesome. Dark Souls would totally work on a Vita, but a straight port of it would be terrible

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

No, I don't think I'd be happy digesting a game like that on a portable device. I'm fine playing it on Pc and consoles.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

If I had a Vita, that seems like a device that could do it, but I would absolutely not play it on my 3DS. That screen size is just one more thing to blame my deaths on.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No I don't think it'll work at all, at least if you tried using the existing model the game works on. For starters You'll need a portable system that has two analogue sticks and trigger buttons for the camera/movement and heavy attacks. Dark Souls has deep combat so by it's essential that you have quick, easy access to those attacks. Furthermore the game relies on it's environment to tell it's story and convey it's gameplay. On a small screen using earphones isn't exactly the most optimal way of absorbing this information in comparison to a large screen with a dedicated sound setup.

Then you've got issues of the multiplayer component. The Soul series has an excellent foundation for players to interact with each other whether directly or not. Since an internet isn't exactly that easy to find outside the home, let alone a stable one this can cause problems especially with the PvP aspect of it.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the idea of a Souls game on portable systems. As you've seen I just think it's a terrible idea.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls:Liberation on Vita pls.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegetashonor: Hm. I think they could do something really cool with invading and streetpassing. Then again, that stuff never really seems to work out as great as it sounds on paper.

Aside from that, there would have to be some pretty significant design choices made to account for the strengths and weaknesses of a portable, technically less powerful system. I imagine it'd look nothing like DS games we see on consoles. Maybe something closer to the 2D Castlevania games? I would be down for a game like that with loot and some of the Rogue-like ideas that were employed in the console releases.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McShank

No. 1. Without a Constant Online connection, you will not experience the game like it was meant. Solo play is fun and all but online, with its random invasions help the Souls series be what it is.

2. Portable.... This game already angers people to no end so why let them destroy their console and not just a controller?

3. Small ass screen. I bought a 40' LED tv to be able to see my games when I am sitting on me couch in my room. I Play gameboy for pokemon... and the occasional rpg / action game such as Zelda or dragon warrior which I have NOT seen any lately... Square enix. Wtf.

4. I cant play handhelds for long periods of time for some reason. Pokemon cant even have me sit down and play it for more then maybe an hour before I get uncomfortable holding it. Goes for my psp and 3ds

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Clonedzero

God no....That'd be horrible. Even assuming the controls and camera work great on the handheld (which it wouldnt) it's just not the type of game you'd want on a handheld.

Personally i have absolutely no interest in handhelds. I wouldn't play them at home because tis an inferior experience. I don't take public transportation because i own a car. And if i am stuck on a bus, taxi, train, whatever, i can just read articles or browse the internet on my iphone, i dont need some subpar gaming experience on the go. But thats ME.

When i play dark souls i don't want anyone else around so i can focus on it. Thats not really what handhelds are for.

So yeah, dumb idea. No offense.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By golguin

Probably not the best way to experience the series. You need a large TV to clearly see what's going on.