Would you play a game where you are a slasher villian?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Edited By shivermetimbers

Poll Would you play a game where you are a slasher villian? (90 votes)

Yes 70%
No 8%
Maybe so 19%
Results 3%

The last time we got a proper slasher game (that I can recall) was Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the Atari 2600. Of course, that was many years ago. Naughty Bear tried something like this, but I'm thinking about something different: a real slasher film-game with all the camp and bad dialog and fornication that typically makes up the genre. It be kinda like a stealth game, with multiple endings and paths you can take. Perhaps make it so the player doesn't have to kill anyone to get an ending; that'd be kinda cool, right? The non-violent 'happy' ending. This all adds replay value, and with multiple weapons and ways you can take out your.....uh....adversaries. It'd be something worth considering.....or maybe perhaps I'm morbid and this all sounds sick to you. In that case, go play GTA 5 where you torture people, kill cops, and go on killing rampages in the street for the millionth time.

• 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Have you ever played Manhunt? It's sort of in the same vein of what you are describing.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was going to say Manhunt

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Totally. I've wanted a game like that for years. Manhunt is close, but not quite.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Take the Batman stealth sequences and replace the takedowns with brutal murders. I'd play that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No, because the tension in a slasher movie comes from trying to evade, escape, and defeat the villain. That's why I find games like Clock Tower 3 so much more appealing than something like Manhunt.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Absolutely.

@shagge said:

Totally. I've wanted a game like that for years. Manhunt is close, but not quite.

Playing it with the Piggsy skin pushes it just that bit closer :P

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

Only if it was like two options: you can play as the slasher or the.... well, the slashee.

Hell, a multiplayer game like that would be awesome (6 normals versus one hulking dude with a chainsaw)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

@animasta: I really don't think you want a game where you play as the slashee...those don't tend to turn out all that well...

No Caption Provided

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@chaser324: to be fair, LJN could take the easiest concept in the world and fuck it up.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Absolutely.

@shagge said:

Playing it with the Piggsy skin pushes it just that bit closer :P

Haha, I always used a custom Jason skin. Too bad Manhunt 2 never had much in the way of fan-made skins, from what I can recall.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Could be fun. Would people want to play a more-serious game like that, or would this hypothetical game lean heavily on fun slasher-movie camp? Either way could be fun.

The modern video game journalism brigade would be fucking insufferable about the game, though, probably no matter how camp it was.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

Yes I would ... if its good ovbiously

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@andorski said:

Take the Batman stealth sequences and replace the takedowns with brutal murders. I'd play that.

Not really stealthy, but the takedowns in Sleeping Dogs, especially in the later parts of the game, are really fucking brutal.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai

As long as the developer of said game makes the AI stupid as hell like most people in slasher films.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Tarsier

grand theft auto 5.

use only knife and kill as many as you can without getting caught

most kills and least deaths in the 1 hr 45 min slasher movie time span is the ultimate villain

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chainreaction01

I'd be down for like an Anti-L.A Noir. Instead of trying to piece together killing sprees, you are coming up with these grand schemes to get away with murder while still leaving just enough of a trail for the cops to look for you but find nothing.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ruiner

That's how i play Hitman games...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In terms of whether or not it would stop me from playing a game, no, not if the game was a good one. But I wouldn't play a game for the sole purpose of being a slasher.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

most games feel like serial killer simulators. Was just piling bodies in Deus Ex Human Revolution and then again in Dishonored.

I personally would love it if they had more Camp, like eves dropping into a camp and listening to girls rant about boys or watching Crispen Glover dance. Even the worst slash film has a good set up why to see these people die..... and also disembodied Talking heads would be nice.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I still don't get the controversies with Manhunt. I mean... you're killing other serial killers.

I mean ya, killing is killing, but in the context of a video game it's as meaningless as a Friday the 13th movie, only more so because its bad guy on bad guy.

Anyway, it'd never get made or would unrightfully get censored to hell but I would not have a problem with it at all. It kind of reminds me of that one slasher movie where this documentary crew is following a serial killer around to make a documentary about him. I forget the name- interesting movie idea although its full of plot holes just by its premise so its best not to think about that.

Nagogii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be down for like an Anti-L.A Noir. Instead of trying to piece together killing sprees, you are coming up with these grand schemes to get away with murder while still leaving just enough of a trail for the cops to look for you but find nothing.

I was initially going to say that I'd be concerned that a slasher game could easily turn out to be an average stealth game with regular people replacing the enemies. Something like this could be cool, but I still think it'd be difficult to pull off well.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami is pretty close, and 2 is going to be about the events of 1 being turned into a slasher flick (and fans of said movie commiting copy cat crimes)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: I really don't think you want a game where you play as the slashee...those don't tend to turn out all that well...

No Caption Provided

I'll say again, Clock Tower 3. The game is basically a slasher film where the protagonist has to go up against a whole series of slasher movie-style killers, complete with the need to finding hiding spots a fear/panic mechanic woven into the gameplay.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@nagogii said:
@chainreaction01 said:

I was initially going to say that I'd be concerned that a slasher game could easily turn out to be an average stealth game with regular people replacing the enemies. Something like this could be cool, but I still think it'd be difficult to pull off well.

The first 15 minutes (aka "the good part") of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit was kind of like this (which made for a great demo). Unfortunately, the game goes completely off the rails not too long after that first section.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee
@hailinel said:

@chaser324 said:

No Caption Provided

I'll say again, Clock Tower 3. The game is basically a slasher film where the protagonist has to go up against a whole series of slasher movie-style killers, complete with the need to finding hiding spots a fear/panic mechanic woven into the gameplay.

In theory it's an interesting design setup, but Clocktower 3 at least failed by being incredibly shallow, and the killers would show up far too often. I found the scariest part of Clocktower 3 was exploring around without the killer stalking me, because I'm often left on edge waiting for when he would actually pop out. Instead Clocktower 3 kept throwing the guy after you so often that it lost a lot of the tension and was instead just sorta boring.

If someone were to make a similar sort of game with a few more expanded mechanics--such as a greatly increased emphasis on being quiet while exploring--then it could be interesting.

Slender is one such modern-day example of successfully pulling off the feeling of being the fleeing victim of a slasher movie villain.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Barrock
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@hailinel said:

@chaser324 said:

No Caption Provided

In theory it's an interesting design setup, but Clocktower 3 at least failed by being incredibly shallow, and the killers would show up far too often. I found the scariest part of Clocktower 3 was exploring around without the killer stalking me, because I'm often left on edge waiting for when he would actually pop out. Instead Clocktower 3 kept throwing the guy after you so often that it lost a lot of the tension and was instead just sorta boring.

If someone were to make a similar sort of game with a few more expanded mechanics--such as a greatly increased emphasis on being quiet while exploring--then it could be interesting.

Slender is one such modern-day example of successfully pulling off the feeling of being the fleeing victim of a slasher movie villain.

I think part of that is just personal tolerance and preference for certain scare types. Clock Tower 3 is by no means a perfect horror game, but compared to other titles of its day, it was still pretty unique. Your primary concern in the game is evading a murderous psychopath (just like the previous games), but transitions the gameplay from point-and-click to direct character control. As horror games on the PS2 go, it had a lot going for it; it's just a shame it didn't sell well.

But as an aside, one cool thing about Clock Tower 3 that other games can't boast is that its cutscenes were directed by Kinji Fukasaku (director of Battle Royale).

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@mb said:

Have you ever played Manhunt? It's sort of in the same vein of what you are describing.

Yes, I've played Manhunt. It doesn't really give me the feeling that I would get playing a slasher movie villain though. Part of that is that I think it plays like complete ass, but mostly because it has kinda a grimy realistic atmosphere instead of a campy slasher movie atmosphere.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If Spring-heeled Jack counts, then yes.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a Friday The 13th Part 5 game where I can choose not to kill Violet, because I love her so much.

Loading Video...

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell fucking yes.

@andorski said:

Not really stealthy, but the takedowns in Sleeping Dogs, especially in the later parts of the game, are really fucking brutal.

I still cringe every time Wei breaks someone's arm.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm pretty sure I've already done that in most of the action games that came out in the past few years.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Bear was a cutesy version of that.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I'd play a slasher horror game that put me in the role of the slasher. In fact, I'd love to play a Jack the Ripper game where you play as Jack the Ripper.