Would you play a PSP-quality game if it came out on XBLA or PSN?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It seems to me that the PlayStation Portable has been copping a lot more heat regarding predictions this year and what Sony plans to do with the console. IGN's Chris Roper recently posted an article which suggested that games that had come out exclusively on the PlayStation Portable - games like Pursuit Force, God of War, Wipeout, LocoRoco - might have come out on PSN (and, were they not licensed by Sony, also on XBLA), and thus be playable on consoles. (And I talked a bit about it on my podcast, plug ;) .)

Imagine the PSP never existed. Would you purchase and play value-priced games ($10~$15) of PSP-level quality, that is a similar graphical quality, similar physics engines, et cetera, if they were released on XBLA or PSN? For example, let's say Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is released in the state it would be released for the PSP for, except on PSN. Would you buy it for $15 or $20?

I'd have to imagine that the graphics would obviously sub-par a full release, but with this comes the insinuation that graphics would be bumped up to a little bit better than PSP level. Personally, I'd totally be willing to pay $10 or $15 for a Chains of Olympus, and most definitely up to $25 for a Wipeout like Wipeout Pure or Pulse. Hell, I'd pay $25 right now if they just released those games as is for PSN right now. Those games are pretty damn good. Peace Walker? I'd pay ~$20. Perhaps that's the appeal: high quality games, in some cases, on the cheap as well, regardless of lower quality graphics.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

I already have.  They're called 'Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Bionic Commando Rearmed and Braid.  There's a whole bunch more games that qualify that I'm forgetting about too.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

In some cases yes. However in certain cases the single analog stick makes games unplayable, and would only be worth it if the control scheme was altered.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i guess i would play a game that looked like it. i barely buy things on market place and PSN. they are pretty much look like n64 games but portable.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I'm sure I would.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sopranosfan

yep I have thought about that a couple times myself.  I wouldn't pay more than $20 for them though.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By m1k3

There are a lot of downloadable games for PSN and XBLA that could have easily been done on the PSP. The thing is, the PSP does exist, and developers are reluctant to develop for a system that isn't as popular in America as it is in Japan.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Start a poll..

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slippy

Yes, but then they wouldn't be portable. I like my PSP games on my PSP, ready to be played anywhere.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hot_Karl

To answer your question, yes, I would pay for full-fledged "portable" games to play on my PS3 or Xbox 360. You could argue that stuff like Braid, The Maw and the upcoming Explodemon are somewhat analogous to this idea though.

However, this brings up a good point about the PSP. I do like Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet, Grand Theft Auto Stories & all those games, don't get me wrong. They're fantastic representations of how close the PSP can emulate higher powered systems & games. However, these games are exactly what's wrong with the PSP. I'm not impressed with a portable game that just emulates the console version. That's awesome and all, but in that case, I'd much rather just play games on my console instead. Give me something that cannot be done on any other system, or that is done best on a portable system, and I'll bite. Stuff like Dissidia and Pursuit Force work because they're simpler, bite-sized takes on action series, perfect for any time you have a few minutes to spare. Yes, they could arguably be done better on a "big" system, but if it works perfectly well on the portable system, why ruin that?

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By FordFairlane

I think any portable installment in a franchise rooted on a big console (GoW: Chains of Olympus, MGS: Portable Ops & Peace Walker) would find an audience on PSN of people like me who don't own a PSP, but would still like to experience the entire story of these franchises.  I'd rather play through the game to see what happens than just look up cutscenes online to fill in the blanks.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Bombs_Away

I would but I prefer them on the PSP. I love my PSP...Its so nice.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I'd buy Persona Portable and Persona 3 Portable in a heartbeat if they ran on the PS3.  Those two might motivate me to buy a PSP, but since P3P isn't out until June I am not worrying about it now.  Even then, I will probably wait until after E3 2010 to see if there are any new announcements.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond
@iAmJohn: None of those really are PSP-quality.  That's not what the OP is asking.

Personally I definitely would, there are games I think are probably good that have been released on PSP that I've never played simply because I don't want to play on a PSP.
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mariek430

Persona 3, Patapon, and pretty much any RPG on the DS/PSP I would def prefer to play on my tv, with a controller. Man that thing you put into the SNES to play gameboy games ruled.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sure thing.  PSP games can be pretty damned good.  There aren't a lot of them out there, but a select few developers have definitely proven that they're capable of producing high-quality titles for Sony's handheld.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18  Edited By the8bitNacho
@Seppli: I'd be far more excited for Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement if it were a sequel to the original rather than a prequel.  The first game quite nicely summed up the events of the Holy Ashah Dynasty and the Arris the Sage and all that noise.  I feel like I need to know what happens with Ash and Eleni following the post-credit ending. 

That being said, I didn't know it came out today.  Buying that shit after class.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn
@Diamond said:
" @iAmJohn: None of those really are PSP-quality.  That's not what the OP is asking.  Personally I definitely would, there are games I think are probably good that have been released on PSP that I've never played simply because I don't want to play on a PSP. "
How are those not PSP quality?  They have a lot of depth to them and are awesome.  There's no reason to believe that something like Bionic Commando Rearmed wouldn't have been a PSP release had Mega Man Powered Up not been a titanic failure.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#20  Edited By Jazz

To stop getting hand cramp playing stuff like Resistance: Retribution and Macross Ultimate Frontier...hell yes

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Diamond
@iAmJohn: All of those couldn't be done on PSP in graphics terms alone.  After all they're all HD games, especially Bionic Commando Rearmed and Shadow Complex both push the systems far more than a PSP could handle.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli
@Kombat said:

" @Seppli: I'd be far more excited for Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement if it were a sequel to the original rather than a prequel.  The first game quite nicely summed up the events of the Holy Ashah Dynasty and the Arris the Sage and all that noise.  I feel like I need to know what happens with Ash and Eleni following the post-credit ending.  That being said, I didn't know it came out today.  Buying that shit after class. "

I hope that information is accurate. It's from a Gametrailers comment. Not that I got you all rilled up for nothing. I just got Uncharted 2 from the bargain bin and Mass Effect 2 and Battlefiel : Bad Company 2 are on the horizon, as well as lots of other games, which could entice me.

If it gets good reviews it's definitly gonna be summer drought game for me.

It's been soo long ago, since I played the original PSX Vandal Hearts. I remember how the charcter models got visually buffed at a certan character-level treshold and some level on a moving train.