Would You Play a Well Crafted, Morally Reprehensible Game?

• 114 results
Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would You Play a Well Crafted, Morally Reprehensible Game? (292 votes)

Yep! If the gameplay holds up, I'd play as Hitler gunning down Mother Teresa. 62%
Nope! Even if the game handles well, I'd be too put off to enjoy it. 38%

This came up in a discussion I had earlier, and I'm wondering what the GB audience makes of it.

Take a game that you love, primarily because it is enjoyable to play. Doesn't matter if it's Devil May Cry, DOTA 2, Street FIghter 4, Starcraft 2, whatever. As long as you love it for the gameplay (and the story is a minor positive at best), it qualifies. Now, replace its story/characters with something you'd find offensive. Everyone is bothered by different things at different levels, so pick whatever fits. Could you still see yourself enjoying that mechanical aspects of that game, or would the ideas and themes present torpedo any joy you could have? Could you play through it? Could you enjoy playing through it?

If the characters of Street Fighter were rapists and child abusers, if you played as Hitler in Call of Duty and the game was structured around causing the Holocaust, if Mario was going from castle to castle, torturing animals at the end of each, could you still play? Could you put up with ugly, disgusting themes if it handled like Geometry Wars, or Company of Heroes? If it played like Super Meat Boy or Super Mario Galaxy?

Assume the themes aren't used in parody or positively, either. If the next Assassin's Creed game is set in WW2 and you play a SS officer hunting down Jews, for the purposes of this discussion assume it's because Ubisoft has a real Neo-Nazi thing going on.

Finally, don't be a jerk, I guess. This turned out to be a bit of a time bomb between some friends, so let's not get this thing locked.

• 
jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By jadegl

I already have, it was called Hotline Miami. I think it's morally reprehensible to murder people horribly, even if they are drug dealers, pimps or gangsters, but I loved that game. I played the Thieves Guild and Assassin's Guild storylines in both Skyrim and Oblivion, and both of those have you doing horrible things to people, and in those cases you rarely know whether they are good or bad people, you just kind of have to go with what the game is telling you. GTA also has you doing morally repugnant things, but that is also something I have played from time to time.

I guess it's a matter of degrees. I have no issue with the stuff I just mentioned, and I could probably be pushed further along that moral continuum if the game does a good job of making it intrinsic to the story and has you questioning yourself and what you are doing, but there is a place where I would stop. I have never had the desire, for instance, to play the Manhunt games. I gather that it would be too far for me, and I am okay with skipping those titles. I also wouldn't want to play a game that incorporates things like rape or torture, especially if the games don't properly address what you are doing. I think GTA V almost went too far, and I just watched my husband play it, but I think it had a point in the end and I think it was successful. I was supposed to feel like I was doing something very, very wrong. I can certainly understand if someone else found it too much, though.

The thing is, I know that a game is just that, a game. It's fake, not real and it should have no real lasting effect on my. However, I also know that games do make me feel emotions, sometimes quite strongly, even if i logically know that it is just a game and has no basis in the real world. My ability or desire to play games depends much more on if I can handle what it does to me emotionally and whether it has that lasting impression on my psyche. Most games don't, thank goodness. Some games cross that line for me or come very close. As someone who tends to lose myself in games, I can get in the head of the character and disregard my moral compass for a time. But if I don't like the actual feeling of doing it, I will not want to continue. I will have to push back against my own reaction. Much like the torture scene in GTA V, you have to do something that makes you feel like a piece of crap, but you can push past it if you realize that there is a point to it and there is value to what you are doing in the end.

In the end, it's like reading a book like Lolita or American Psycho. You obviously don't necessarily sympathize with the protagonist, you may even hate them and everything that they do, but the point of the work is to make you feel something, anything, even if it is something bad. We can't just have fun art. We also need the art that makes us feel like a piece of crap and question ourselves and where we are.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

No. GTA is pretty close to this already and I don't play that.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, why would I? Kinda surprised to see the poll results here. It's the internet, but I expect more from GB.

When in doubt, what would Ryan Davis do?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think almost everyone here has already played some sort of morally reprehensible, but largely well done game. Stuff like GTA is pretty popular after all.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Budwyzer

Full priced games with microtransactions. Can't get any more offensive than that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Possibly? I mean I think its actually neat when games can make me uncomfortable. Granted Id like them to actually do something meaningful if they are going to venture into taboo territory. If its just literally shock value shlock like playing a FPS where your a KKK member gunning down black people then no but also that isn't even offensive to me because its being so goddamn blatant about trying to be offensive that Its not even worth paying attention to to be offended.

I mean hell GTA V really disturbed me in a lot of ways but I was sort of thrilled that it did it in a way that didn't seem like it was solely for shock value.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#107  Edited By NMC2008

Yep, bring it on. I have no limits when it comes to created non-real entertainment.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: You should definitely, definitely steer clear of the writings of Marquis de Sade. There's a reason sadism was named after that guy. Ugh, I wish I could erase the small bit of it that I read from my memory.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Depends what it's about butyes, there is a point where content actually matters to me more than mechanical fun.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Aetheldod

@vladd said:

@aetheldod:

Or is it specifically characters with darker skin you do not wish to play as?

Im sorry to say ... but dark skinned in general D: , I know is wrong and all , but just cant relate really. I mean I can appreciate well done characters regardless of skin color etc. (CJ from GTA San Andreas or Sazh from FF XIII) , but it is harder for me to enjoy the games.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Aetheldod

@vladd said:

@aetheldod:

Or is it specifically characters with darker skin you do not wish to play as?

Im sorry to say ... but dark skinned in general D: , I know is wrong and all , but just cant relate really. I mean I can appreciate well done characters regardless of skin color etc. (CJ from GTA San Andreas or Sazh from FF XIII) , but it is harder for me to enjoy the games.

Edit: Maybe part of my upbringing , but from were Im from skin does still have wrong connotations in the social strata Im in (this is in Mexico and more to the point , Guadalajara) and add that that many of my bad experiences in life has been with people with said skin does not vodes well , of course I never generalize but maybe is a subconcious thing :/

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edit: Maybe part of my upbringing , but from were Im from skin does still have wrong connotations in the social strata Im in (this is in Mexico and more to the point , Guadalajara) and add that that many of my bad experiences in life has been with people with said skin does not vodes well , of course I never generalize but maybe is a subconcious thing :/

Nah don't say sorry when it's because of past personal experiences, I understand
and think you are brave for just saying it =).

It's only natural that you have to be able to relate in some way to a character.
But if you had bad experiences to a certain skin color, of course it's going to affect you.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the mass population has already replied to this when the one mission in CoD popped up. The one you even had an option to skip. The airport one? Where you had to take down civilians? They complained about that mission.

They also complained about the terrorist issue in GTA 5 where you had to torture that one guy. I mean, games that are rated M are getting slammed for moral reprehension already.

I seriously doubt they could handle a game about rape over here. That's probably always going to remain in other countries besides America. And I can't blame them, I'm not too fond of those games about rape/torture either. I think it's pretty jacked that people get off to that shit.