#1 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -
#2 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

Steam for ease in patching or boxed to maybe show off your games collection and make your penis seem larger

#3 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

I voted for steam since I find it easier to access my games (especially on the go) and games on steam usually don't have some retarded form of DRM like boxed copies do.

#4 Edited by gosukiller (2325 posts) -

Steam definitely. First off, boxes just take too much space. I don't want to throw them away, but I could use the extra space.
Secondly, everytime I want to play an older game, like say.. Beyond Good and Evil, I have to get the box, take the cd, go through some install procedure and get my cd-key out (if it has one). For a steam game I simply have to right-click the game and click install.
In closing: I love steam.

#5 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I think it would be really hard to put all my games on one box. 

#6 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Steam because you wouldn't have to track down individual discs.

#7 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

It's odd, I infinitely prefer steam for PC games, as it means I don't have to needlessly swap discs/end of losing them. As most games these days have registration codes that means you wouldn't be able to resell/lend the disc to a friend anyway, I don't mind. However, with xbox games, I much prefer discs to that digital download thing microsoft offer, as xbox discs can be easily lent to friends.

#8 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

Both.

#9 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (476 posts) -

Steam.  As long as Steam exists, I will always have those games.

#10 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Steam since I can't resell most PC games anyway. 

#11 Edited by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

believe it or not i collect game box and show case it on shelf standing up especially game box that have sexy art cover on it. Silverfall, DreamKiller, Golden Axe Beast Rider, Soul Calibur 4, Bayonetta just to name some.

i also put 3,4 game box that i currently playing standing up near my ps3 facing toward.... its like my featured game and most played. 

and i didnt even throw my video card box 8800 gts from msi that shows a hot asian girl face... i show case it up my shelf so i can watch it everyday.

and when i buy games digitally aka download..... i dont feel proud, entertain, excitement...... its like i dont feel like i bought it. when buying something u supose to feel like u buying it and own it.

#12 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -

Box because I can pick them up cheaper at launch, I don't have to spend hours downloading and using my quota and if I ever need to reinstall it can only take a few minutes rather than redownloading 5, 10, or 15 gigs,

#13 Posted by gike987 (1779 posts) -

Box so I can install most of my games without having access to Internet.

#14 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

I get a bit tired of changing discs. I do like having physical collections, but I'm happy to limit that to console games and dvds.

Looking at my Steam collection, though, is a thing of beauty. I can install/delete at will and buy cheap purchases on the fly without having them floating around the bedroom. It patches/updates automatically and the community is killer.

Steam FT-mothafuckin'-W

#15 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

Disc. It's a lot quicker to find a box, take the disc out and install a game than it is to download a 10GB+ game from Steam. Plus, retail copies of games are miles cheaper for me.

#16 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I like having boxes for pc games incase I need a format and to restart everything. However steam is more convient because you don't need to put in a disc to play the game, just double click it and start.

#17 Posted by Gruff182 (875 posts) -

Both, I like buying a retail game then registering it on Steam, so i don't need to use the disc again, but still fill some shelf space.

#18 Posted by Driadon (3027 posts) -

I'll be honest: both. I liked boxed because of the collector instinct I have and because reinstalling takes a LOT less time then re-downloading on Steam. That said, those boxes eat up space that I usually don't have.

#19 Posted by tomte (291 posts) -

I live in Japan and last time i checked, steam didnt work here... this is also the reason i dont buy pc games anymore, you have to register them on steam to play, but how the hell do i do that when steam doesntcover where i live...

#20 Edited by Axersia (1621 posts) -

Since the only PC games I play never seem to receive a retail release (or don't receive a retail release until much later), I've stopped caring about owning PC games on optical media. I think the last physical PC game I bought was Broken Sword 4 in 2007.

Google Test

#21 Posted by Torrim (346 posts) -

Steam.  Life is so much easier with with an autopatcher.

#22 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

It'd be pretty cool to have all my Steam games boxed, but I really don't have the space for it. Steam is awesome in every way possible. 

#23 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -
@tomte said:
" I live in Japan and last time i checked, steam didnt work here... this is also the reason i dont buy pc games anymore, you have to register them on steam to play, but how the hell do i do that when steam doesntcover where i live... "
There's only a handful of retail games that require Steam activation. With the exception of Valve developed games that obviously require it, the only ones I can think of are FEAR 2 and Modern Warfare 2.
#24 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I'd rather have them on Steam. Steam is everything digital distribution should be.

#25 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I used to be a purist, but I've been a Steam customer ever since I bought Dragon Age through the service last year.

#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Seeing as most of the PC games I've bought at stores after 2001 have an "Update" or "Patch" button when you pop in the disc I would have to say I liked those more. 
And if they make my penis look bigger then all power to them. 
Kinda disturbing to think about a penis needing it's own room, it being so big in the first place. But hey, I can't complain. 
More disturbing thing is: You actually care about penis' so much since you kept reading

#27 Posted by tomte (291 posts) -
@Binman88 said:

" @tomte said:

" I live in Japan and last time i checked, steam didnt work here... this is also the reason i dont buy pc games anymore, you have to register them on steam to play, but how the hell do i do that when steam doesntcover where i live... "
There's only a handful of retail games that require Steam activation. With the exception of Valve developed games that obviously require it, the only ones I can think of are FEAR 2 and Modern Warfare 2. "
 Empire: Total war is another game, i pro-ordered and imported it for a total of $70 andthen i couldnt register it on steam meaning no updates and none of the pre-order stuffs. Sure, i can still play it offline but i feel a bit cheated.

Also, this thread is if you want your games in boxes or on steam, so well...
#28 Posted by TaccyP (307 posts) -

I always lose my disks. I try to buy all of my games on steam.

#29 Edited by monkeyroach (175 posts) -
@tomte: Steam does work in japan, its most likely your connection that's blocking you.Steam gets blocked all the time from certain places like schools.You can always try vpn or proxys to get your updates
#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

finding discs is a bitch 

but then again i like having a big ol shelf of games for bragging rights.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9984 posts) -

Physical copy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Digital copy.

#32 Posted by ColMirage (257 posts) -

Steam because it's more practical, but I love going out, getting a box with a big, fat manual. And no, I haven't done that in a long time (At the least, they didn't come with big, awesome, fat manuals.)

#33 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" Box because I can pick them up cheaper at launch, I don't have to spend hours downloading and using my quota and if I ever need to reinstall it can only take a few minutes rather than redownloading 5, 10, or 15 gigs, "
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I like having boxes for pc games incase I need a format and to restart everything. However steam is more convient because you don't need to put in a disc to play the game, just double click it and start.

"
@Driadon said:
" I'll be honest: both. I liked boxed because of the collector instinct I have and because reinstalling takes a LOT less time then re-downloading on Steam. That said, those boxes eat up space that I usually don't have. "
Do any of you realize you can backup steam games to disc or elsewhere on a drive.  Or you can be smart and have your games not on your windows drive so you can simply reformat and your games are sitting there ready to go.  Weak reason to like boxed games.  I have not re-installed a game I own in years.
#34 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Steam!  I would be playing Sim City 4 far more often if I didn't have to remember where in the hell I put those CDs last.

#35 Posted by OldGuy (1575 posts) -

I want Steam for the ease of use, but I want the box for the... um box (I like boxes [and album covers {I wish CDs came in 12"x12" covers, with cutouts <think Physical Graffiti> and posters < The Beatles, The Dark Side of the Moon - not Dark Side of the Moon, that's different - but awesome in it's own way...> and... ya know, stuff}])... and the manual (?) [hey, they USED to be important, man. ah, the fresh smell of the 150 page CRPG manual with detailed spell, race, class, attribute and monster descriptions. and don't even get me started on the TOME that you got with flight sims... I know I have my copy of Falcon 3 around here somewhere...)...

#36 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

steam is nice but if your like me, you have old school dsl and it takes a day and a half to download games.  Can't easily delete and install games again where it would take less time to install them from disc.

#37 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

steam, no discs to worry about.

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i like having steam. it's pretty much one click and i am playing the game.

#39 Posted by Driadon (3027 posts) -
@empfeix: That's a pain as well, and obviously you haven't had a harddrive die on you recently. two weeks ago I lost a terrabyte's worth of games, so, yeah, it happens.
#40 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" @empfeix: That's a pain as well, and obviously you haven't had a harddrive die on you recently. two weeks ago I lost a terrabyte's worth of games, so, yeah, it happens. "
Can't argue that - and no I have never had a HD die on me thankfully, I have had sectors go bad on me however, but I suppose since HD's continually get cheaper and bigger, I never hold on to one for any longer than 5 years or so.
#41 Edited by Guexx (60 posts) -

I love steam.
But you can have it on Box and on Steam man, thats what i prefer.

#42 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

While at college, getting the boxed version isn't really an option. I can't have a car, and the closest game related store is too far. I could use amazon, but steam is just easier. Plus I don't have any kind of bandwidth quota.

#43 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@empfeix: All my games are not on my default drive btw. However I was using an example, also if i'm going to have to back up my games to a disc from steam, I might as well just get the disc version instead.
#44 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

I'd rather a service with the quality of GoG came along for general games.

#45 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

Steam. I just reinstalled my OS and it is so much easier to just log into my account and let them all download overnight than it would be to track down a bunch of discs and babysit installers for three hours.