• 86 results
Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Personally I've always preferred Game Manuals in paper form. Some games out there have really long, tedious and drawn out tutorials that aren't necessary, e.g. when the game is a sequel and is showing the basics/features again.

Also when a pause menu has a control manual/tutorial I find is a good feature. What do you prefer?

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blastroid

I am ok with in game tutorials as long as you can skip them. Paper manuals for me are only good when I buy the game and will not make it home for awhile. I can use it to increase my hype meter if it is a game I have been waiting to play.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dungbootle

I don't read manuals and excluding them saves resources. I can't imagine a modern game without a tutorial either and that is not a bad thing

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ch3burashka

I like to peruse a manual or two. Too bad that era is gone forever.

If I ever make a game, it will come with a manual... and a cloth map.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

Neither is a substitute for the other.

Manuals are great to look through, if they're well designed. Some kind of (preferably skippable) tutorial should be in every game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In this day and age they're not really made to be directly interchangeable; manuals are more for reference, while tutorials are actually more like a lesson in the game. I think tutorials have the potential to be much better than a manual at teaching you things, but even a lot of today's games have surprisingly bad tutorials. All in all though, people printing less paper manuals is good for the environment, and phasing them out means there's more pressure on developers than ever to actually make sure their tutorials are up to scratch.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

a paper manual is nice but trees are better.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I wish tutorials were not a thing, just let the player figure it out with smart level design. EG: Classic metroids, super meatboy ect.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

A big full color manual is the best thing to see when opening up a game box and every game that doesn't have one should be ashamed.

I'm also super bummed when a game comes with a huge manual but it's only 15 pages repeated in English, French, and Spanish.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zeforgotten

If the manual is good. 
Like one of those manuals that have all kinds of stuff in it like story summary, character bios and stuff like that.  
If it's just "hit A/X/E to do whatever" then they're as useless as Tutorials in "FPS Shooter Game number 5 in the series"

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zaccheus

No. Manuals are useless in this day and age.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _Zombie_

If it's a good tutorial? I'll pass on the manual. But if the tutorial is shit, I at least want a manual to explain the game basics in brief.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Wemibelle

The Internet has replaced game manuals. If there is something about a game that is cryptic or poorly explained, the developers expect you to look online for the answers. It sucks but paper manuals aren't the answer. Better designed, streamlined tutorials are the way to go.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nightriff

Guess I'm indifferent. If there is a paper manual the game expects me to have read it and I can get to the action quicker so I'll go with that one. Some tutorials can be brutal....

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

I prefer when they work together. A quality manual getting you ready for a more thorough and hands-on tutorial.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Gawd I miss the days when game manuals we're thick and had additional lore within its contents. I always liked reading about the lore every game has to offer especially if get drawn into it.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TyCobb

Will it stop the first 5 hours of a game being one giant tutorial? If so, then yes. Yes I would. Nothing pisses me off the most than 1/3rd of a game feeling like an endless tutorial.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Vinny_Says

I recently started playing the first mass effect again, and unless I'm missing something there is no way to know what the buttons do unless you look at the manual. I was too lazy to get up and look so I just fumbled around for a while until I figured it out.

Put the manual inside the video game, that's the way to do it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mandude

I like being naïve and innocent to a game's finer mechanics when I start playing. The sense of immersion and discovery is one of my favourite parts of a game, and forced tutorials kill every shred of that.

Could you imagine Minecraft with a tutorial? Fucking disgusting...

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Alexandru

no

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gaminghooligan

Only if the manual is loaded with awesome lore. Most games just need to cut the tutorials time in half, exploration and discovery can help a game immensely, just don't leave the player with too little information to actually play. One of my favorite experiences this generation was Dark Souls, it taught me the basics, then loosed me into the game. The more I played the more I learned, and that feeling of accomplishment just got more and more gratifying every time.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Having a physical booklet I can look down at to see the controls is a lot more helpful than a tutorial or digital manual that I have to dig through four menus to get to every single time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

In-game manuals, as long as they aren't laggy and janky as fuck.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

no, but they should have a manual in game in the options menu.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Humanity

I used to love paper manuals and missed them when console games mostly stopped supplying them - but recently when I thought about the days when a game just dropped you in the thick of it and you were consulting your manual about what button does what on your keyboard and how the game even works I don't want to go back to those days.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LikeaSsur

Yes! I'd rather have paper manuals any day. I always read a manual before putting a game in, but that's getting impossible to do now that the "manual" is just an epileptic warning and legal stuff.

Also, to everyone who's reasoning is "No, because I love trees!" I'm going to blow your mind by telling you that paper companies.....actually plant trees! Whooooa!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@LikeaSsur said:

Yes! I'd rather have paper manuals any day. I always read a manual before putting a game in, but that's getting impossible to do now that the "manual" is just an epileptic warning and legal stuff.

Also, to everyone who's reasoning is "No, because I love trees!" I'm going to blow your mind by telling you that paper companies.....actually plant trees! Whooooa!

yeah? that doesn't mean we should waste all that paper for something that doesn't even matter.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Dagbiker

I would rather have nether I.e. super Mario 3.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell yes, I would!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

If it's in the game, it should be _in the game_. Paper manuals are the gameplay version of transmedia novels and comics that set up the narrative. They are this extra thing you need in order to understand the game. If you think a game doesn't need in game tutorials, it also doesn't require any sort of story setup, it should just say "World 1-1 start killing the Ravjaak, Tony!" And you're like "What are the Ravjaak, who's Tony?" "Get the iOS app to find out more!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tutorials are the exposition of gameplay.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NegativeCero

I would probably take in-game manuals after seeing how the Vita does them. Although manuals of the older games look terrible and illegible at points, so as long as they use decent high res images, I'm sold on in-game manuals.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Animasta: If they're written well and actually explain things, they definitely matter. Dynasty Warriors and most old RPGs are a perfect example of this. There's almost no tutorial anywhere, and no indication in game that this button does this. The manual covers all of that. For all the complaints about long, boring tutorials, games could practically do away with them entirely when everything is explained in the manual.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ducksworth

A good paper manual is awesome. Artwork, character bio's, maps and story bits are what used to draw me to them but now they barely qualify as a pamphlet.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karkarov

Yes I would prefer an actual manual to a crap tastic in game tutorial. Too bad paper manuals cost money and game companies are going cheap these days due to over all rising costs in general and profits becoming more slim unless your name is activision or ea.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

There's no proper way to include tutorials that isn't "make your whole game a tutorial" a laBraid/Portal or have a super-retro game a laSuper Mario/Super Meat.

I very slightly prefer a good manual, but I also usually don't read the tutorial part. It's nice to have something to check against, though.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Subjugation

There isn't any need for the manual to be paper. Have it be a menu option or something.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By morningstar

Tutorials are okay. Handhelding through the whole game like Assassin's Creed is not.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#40  Edited By alistercat

Absolutely not. Everything should be inside the game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Ravenlight

Only if the manual is a proper tome and not just a few legal pages and a "Notes" page.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Petiew
@BestUsernameEver: That's the best way, but it doesn't work with every style of game. Some systems have to be explained in detail to be understood. 
Lots of gamers also want to have their hands held with games they aren't familiar with. Fighting game tutorials consist of; Here's how you block. Go do some trials that demonstrate what moves can be comboed together and then make your own. That's pretty much all you need to know to play, but people unfamiliar with the game obviously won't feel that's enough. 
Something like the Resonance of Fate mechanics or another JRPG couldn't really be explained the same way as in Super Meatboy.

I usually read through the manuals while the game is installing on the PS3. In game tutorials are generally better though, especially if you have to play through the examples. Having a little section in the menu where you can re-read the tutorials is a huge plus too.
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BonOrbitz

Yes! It's a a pain in the ass to try to dig up an in-game manual when I can reach over and look up the information in the manual faster than having to dig through menus.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mtcantor

In game only. Paper manuals are a waste.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Animasta

@LikeaSsur said:

@Animasta: If they're written well and actually explain things, they definitely matter. Dynasty Warriors and most old RPGs are a perfect example of this. There's almost no tutorial anywhere, and no indication in game that this button does this. The manual covers all of that. For all the complaints about long, boring tutorials, games could practically do away with them entirely when everything is explained in the manual.

or, you know, there could just be a manual in the game like the vita does.

also not everyone likes reading, so tutorials would have to be there anyway

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Animasta:

also not everyone likes reading, so tutorials would have to be there anyway

Let them suffer in the game, then. Paper or electronic, if people can't be bothered to figure out how to play the game, they deserve every game over they ever get.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By confusedowl

When the game world is well realized and it has a lot of game mechanics to go through I do prefer a manual. I think they are fun to read.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ghost_cat

I liked when manuals had a lot of back-story content not found in the game, so that's the part I would like to bring back to physical copies. Other than that, brief in-game tutorials are good to get your hands a little dirty before taking on the game itself.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoeyRavn

Fuck manuals* and fuck forced tutorials. Give me the option to practice the mechanic the game wants me to use or to review it later, but don't force it down my throat. Even if the whole mission is based around it.

*Because fuck physical copies of games, too.