Would you visit this site? My idea for gaming podcasts.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

So I'm currently working in the floundering radio industry. As a gamer, I've always wondered why traditional stations don't have shows dedicated to gaming. I only know of one, Video Games Weekly on KFAN in Minneapolis. So here's my idea. A website dedicated to video game podcasts, airing 24/7. There would be specific shows on Monday through Friday, catering to various aspects of the industry. If you missed a show, it would all have On Demand download capabilities. It would also be somewhat interactive, but I haven't figured that part out yet.

So, would anyone here actually visit a site like that, if it featured guys whose opinions you actually care about, talking about games?

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By randiolo

i would tottaly listen to that. have like the bonus round on gametrailers but on the radio.  id dig that.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Fosssil

It's an intriguing idea, but I don't know if you'd be able to find a huge audience, given the amount of high-quality gaming podcasts that are already established. If you decide to go through with it, though, I'd suggest some sort of iPhone support so that people can stream on the go. Personally, I listen to a majority of my favorite podcasts on my iPhone, and very rarely sit down at the computer to listen to any of them.

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Scieran

Nice idea. Although it'd be nice to find someone to host a website podcasting the latest news of the gaming industry, so users like us wouldn't need to barter a huge portion of their "downloads" to watch a gameplay in HD of a game indevelopment or pretty much anything to do with games really; interview, reviews, trailers etc. Because when users like us that spend hours watching youtube and with a limit of 20GB capacity, a week later they'd be saying; Holy Shit I'm Capped!

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Johnny5

Yeah capping would be an issue for me also, but if its just radio shouldnt be too bad.

If you mixed up talk shows, discussions, guests, music well I'd definately tune in.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joshbra97

How does a radio station like that get money from advertising? Most people that are into gaming are pretty capable of getting the podcasts they want without the hassle of listening to things the might not be interested in.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

There kind of is something like this already.  The All Games Radio Network  internet streams video game podcasts from the members of it's network all the time.  Any such network would need to get permission of the podcast creators first before they streamed out the shows, so you'd need to build your own network of affiliated shows just as they have.  The All Games Network was started by Scott Rubin who some may remember as the guy on the old G4TV.Com show along side Laura Foy and Tina Wood.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum

Eh, perhaps, haven't seen the idea before.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

if you can stream it from the site like the bombcast and if its not amazingly serious than I'd listen to that

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ParanoidFreak

That sounds pretty cool, I may listen to it if it existed.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By fillmoejoe

Yeah but the problem is getting personalities that are compelling to listen to.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

That could be pretty awesome. You could probably set up connections with other podcasts like the Bombcast and get them to air on your show too, live or pre-recorded. Hey, you could throw in some Video Game music if you wanted too.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us

Not sure. Sounds like a great idea though. I would like to see how it worked up and running then I'd probably keep visiting from time to time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike
fillmoejoe said:
"Yeah but the problem is getting personalities that are compelling to listen to."
Exactly. I don't want to tune in only to discover that the host for the next three hours is going to be the douchebag that manages my local Gamestop.
Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vision

Be right back registrering Gamecasts.com

nah just kidding.. Yeah i'd visit that site depending if the podcasts would be any good of course.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

I don't think their would be enough to talk about to long periods of time. I mean, you could always have the topic of the day, but it would quickly run out of steam. The reason why mainstream doesn't cover games much is because frankly the public doesn't care, and the people that do are on this forum.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#17  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I think the key with me in podcasts is time invested vs. enjoyment gained.  Sometimes a podcast can be REALLY long, and even if it has to do with games it becomes a chore to listen to because it doesn't stay focused. 

2 hour podcasts are way too much, but I think 2 hour radio shows are hard to listen to anyway.  So keeping the time short, while keeping things smart and well-planned (even if improvised) and FRESH is a key to a good podcast of any genre.

Given that I've been bored stiff by many-a-podcast, it would have to fit that, and like some have said, have entertaining commentary that's insightful and not something you can get elsewhere.  It's hard to talk in concrete terms about this, but keep the above stuff in mind and you may make a breakthrough.