Would you want to see some GB Dark Souls content?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Would you want to see some GB Dark Souls content? (136 votes)

Yarp 77%
Narp 23%

On last week's Bombcast (at least I think it as last week's) Patrick and Brad toyed with the idea of jumping back into Dark Souls, motivated mainly by Patrick getting into Monster Hunter and wanting more of the same. It got me thinking that something like Bradley My Cry but for Dark Souls could be very cool, especially as the QL for Dark Souls was hilarious and entertaining.

Perhaps they could rope Vinny or Rorie (a man can hope) in to be the back seat expert while they fail miserably and contemplate suicide.

• 
SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nonused

No, I fucking hate Dark Souls.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jozzy

I think that would be pretty great. Maybe get a bit deeper into it, we have two seperate video's of the first couple of hours already. Would love to see them tackle something like the Depths or Anor Londo.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Depends on the style of content. I don't need another Quick Look but I also don't want to see more "It's my first time playing Dark Souls guys it sure is hard why do I keep dying?!". I guess the only real middle ground between those in terms of video content is an Endurance Run, but I'd be just as fine with just a short, intelligent discussion of the game similar to what Patrick did with 999 and VLR.

Dark Souls is still probably my favorite game of this generation. I've always been a little disappointed that the GB crew has been, for the most part, pretty dismissive of it. I don't think most people want more Dark Souls content though and I don't think anyone would argue that their time is probably better spent creating content for new games and not a niche console title from 2011.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, why not?

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the general consensus is that the ship has passed.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

I'd settle for an Breaking Brad episode of Brad playing up until the first Bell.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I have doubts that GB could do original Dark Souls content that is interesting. I've already seen multiple sub 1 hour speed runs, lets plays with no armour, lets plays with shields only, level 1 play throughs and first time players. In my opinion the only way to make interesting Dark Souls content at this point is to be really good at the game and place restrictions on yourself. GB can't do that.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StrikeALight

I have doubts that GB could do original Dark Souls content that is interesting. I've already seen multiple sub 1 hour speed runs, lets plays with no armour, lets plays with shields only, level 1 play throughs and first time players. In my opinion the only way to make interesting Dark Souls content at this point is to be really good at the game and place restrictions on yourself. GB can't do that.

Brad has to do a shot of vodka every time he dies.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but disconnect the PC/console from the internet.

More fun without a bunch of yahoos trying to invade for cheap laughs.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MezZa

I'd love to see them take on some more Dark Souls.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DelroyLindo

I love the game but I wouldn't enjoy watching any of them play it, I've always found them to be overly negative in quick looks which is always frustrating to me.

Kenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kenshen

I want Jeff to play through Dark Souls, then Demon's Souls. Jeff, trust me when I say that Dark Souls is NOTHING like Monster Hunter in how unfair it is. Dark Souls is entirely based on your skill level, you get good at dark souls, not get good at levelling. if you are a gamer, it's a must play.

However, even if you don't want to play it now. Trust me when I say you will play it one day. Dark Souls has a way of dragging you towards it, no matter how loathed you are to approach.

I have fifa playing friends and COD people that are recently coming into dark souls, raging, and then understanding, and then becoming unable to play other games.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

@mosespippy said:

Brad has to do a shot of vodka every time he dies.

That could be interesting but they'd have to have a rule to always be human because the game without human opposition is not difficult, even for first timers.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They already did it. Led by none other than the lovable and ever excellent MATT RORIE

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that one time Vinny got Ryan to play Dark Souls is still one of my favorite pieces of content ever on GB (heck, it convinced me to pick Dark Souls up!), something along those lines but maybe longer would be outstanding!

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
  • Vinny talked about it extensively on several bombcasts.
  • There was an hour (?) long quick look of the game.
  • It keeps being brought back up even though nobody at Giant Bomb is currently playing it.

At this point, I'd rather wait for Dark Souls 2 content. Or maybe have Vinny go back and play some Demon's Souls and compare the two games. But for fucks sake no Dark Souls endurance run or Breaking Brad or any of that. Think of the number of people in the chat that would have an aneurism over the smallest mistakes from somebody who didn't put 2000+ hours into the game.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Patrick (driving) & Vinny (backseat) Dark Souls Endurance Run would be a dream come true. I have no interest in watching Brad play Dark Souls.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By jacdg

Nah, they won't do it justice, the quicklook is fine.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Patrick said he was going to play it and lots of people have suggested he should livestream the first few hours. It's always great to see how people react in those first few hours. I say livestream until he reaches the gargoyles at the first bell.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

At this point, I'd rather wait for Dark Souls 2 content.

My only problem with this is as it stands Dark Souls 2 may be taking a rather sharp departure from the prievous games and I don't think anyone on the crew is well equipped enough to actually comment on it aside from maybe Vinnie.

I can always get my previews and shit elsewhere, but I have some real concerns about Dark Souls 2. I've come to trust GB for doing some fucking real talk when shit needs to be said about a game, but unless they somehow rope Rorie in I don't think GB will be a reliable source at all for Dark Source 2 content.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nekroskop

More Dark Souls is always welcome, but with Brad and Patrick running solo...I don't want anything to do with that. Those two don't make quick-looks exciting and often drift away from the gameplay and start talking about everything else but the game.

A Vinny/Brad combo would be welcome.

The real pothole starts here, Patrick

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

what is the general clock time for a single playthrough, not grinding or doing side stuff (as it is in dark souls)? steam says 30 hours for me and i left off at the gaping dragon (yes i know he's easy for everyone; yes i know i've probably grinded more than was necessary and that it's pathetic).

e: i don't think we need hard hitting content on it. just to see them tackle it would be fine. i know a lot of delicate sensibilities may be offended by it, but i think it'd be a riot. and i would laugh at the prudes getting upset by it. :D

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nickieroonie

I think Patrick and Vinny would be pretty cool. I know that Vinny has at least been as far as Anor Londo based on the podcasts, so he could act as a guide for at least a while.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By golguin

what is the general clock time for a single playthrough, not grinding or doing side stuff (as it is in dark souls)? steam says 30 hours for me and i left off at the gaping dragon (yes i know he's easy for everyone; yes i know i've probably grinded more than was necessary and that it's pathetic).

e: i don't think we need hard hitting content on it. just to see them tackle it would be fine. i know a lot of delicate sensibilities may be offended by it, but i think it'd be a riot. and i would laugh at the prudes getting upset by it. :D

The game could be beaten in like 2 hours. I think I beat the game in 100 hours the first time, but I did all the sidequest stuff and lots of PVP. I'd say 50-80 hours is pretty average for a first run of the game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like Dark Souls and Giant Bomb a lot. So its great on paper. But I thought the livestream and Quick Look of the game was kind of meh. I dunno, I won't say no, but I'm no biting my nails in excitement at the prospect either.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NegativeCero

Not really. I feel like the time has come and gone. I honestly think it would be boring to watch the beginnings of Dark Souls again while they (presumably) struggle, which sounds weird because I enjoy Breaking Brad. I guess it's that I've seen the game plenty of times already.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By ThePickle

As long as Jeff is not involved, sure.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yup though plenty of decent Dark Souls content around (and terrible Dark Souls content as well!)

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

@thepickle said:

As long as Jeff is not involved, sure.

Just noticed my first comment is bugged...but I basically agreed with you. Keep Brad and more importantly---Jeff away and I'm all for whenever (if ever) they try to play again. Vinny and Patrick sound like a good team for this one.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jrinswand
Loading Video...

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If they can bring Rorie over, sure.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck y'all, I don't care, a Dark Souls Endurance Run would be incredible! I want it. There.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Gaping isn't necessarily super easy (well it is once you learn the patterns but I've seen about 50% of white/gold phantoms summoned die to it, summoned purely to see how well they handled it); plus if you fight it with the Channeler alive he gets a ridiculous damage buff. Protip to make it more interesting: the tiny little head on its front is actually a weak spot and takes more damage.

kalibr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing Dark Souls and after sinking about 60 hours into it I have loved it and am still loving it but I voted no. Its a great game but I dont think it would be fun to watch. Its not that difficult if you approach it in a slow and methodical way but I dont want to watch someone play through Sen's Fortress over and over for 3 hours.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

Dark Souls Endurance Run Go!

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, it seems like a lot of people are looking at dark souls again. Though that makes giantbomb content a little less unique, there is already so much on-going dark souls content if you care, that it seems less ..... special? Not sure.

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of my favorite games and it would be annoying to watch someone be terrible at it for an hour. But if I could watch someone learn the ropes? Could be okay.

One fumbling video? Nah. We already have a really good QL on the site.
A bunch of videos where at the end someone forms a solid opinion? Might be cool.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is tough. At first, I like the idea of Vinny and Ryan tackling Dark Souls or Demons Souls and cracking wise.

But... The zeitgeist of those games has passed. As others have pointed out, it would just be frustrating watching them fumble around the early content and eventually taper off. Maybe a Kasavin style live cam when the next installment comes around. 12 hours, 1 soda, no bathroom breaks.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By supamon

You're asking us if we want to see more content. I think you already know the answer to that.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@kerned said:

A Patrick (driving) & Vinny (backseat) Dark Souls Endurance Run would be a dream come true.

If they were going to do anything more this is what I would want to see. Though the hour and a half QL that they did is pretty rad, and if that was all we got I wouldn't be unhappy.