This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RiotBananas (3822 posts) -

So I use Firefox like thousands of other internet users, and I also use the addon Ad Blocker, and I come onto Giant Bomb this morning and what do I find?

I can't watch videos unless I turn off my Ad Blocker. What the hell did you do that for guys?

#2 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -

because they need money from ads like everyone else? Money doesnt grow from the magical tree in the backyard

#3 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -

Money?

#4 Posted by nanikore (2755 posts) -

Cool story, bro.

#5 Posted by Brians (1514 posts) -

Just as relevant here so I am reposting my thoughts on this issue

I just want to say to everyone upset about having to disable ad blocking programs on Giant Bomb I feel like your anger is a little 
unwarranted. Giant Bomb to me is a positive example of internet advertising. There are  no terrible sidebars with ads for products which seem like lies 
lose 100lbs without even getting up. What bothers me about the people complaining that they have to disable ad-block is the notion that without ad-block Giant Bomb is unusable (clearly not the case).  Websites to some degree rely on advertising to support them like newspapers used to.  The thing I love about Giant Bomb the advertising does not feel pervasive and its done with a purpose. So many ads take my cities name and assume I am a Mom from there which is fucking terrible and thank god the ads for Giant Bomb at least are for products I might want to buy.

Giant Bomb has  been around for almost two years. The staff seems to know how to run a good website. The  ads are not terrible in the way a lot of internet advertising is they are specific and things we the users might actually want to buy.  This is good. For all others indignant at  the thought of advertising on the internet they should realize there's a difference between good and bad internet advertising. Giant Bomb is on the good side in internet advertising thus supporting them is something worthwhile.

#6 Posted by Darkstar614 (1123 posts) -

Someone check off the counter for "new threads created about the video player changes/adblock" I think we're at like 4 now.

Bandwidth costs money folks.

#7 Posted by Kuruption84 (13 posts) -

Dude, a lot of sights do that. What's the BFD? Just disable it for this site.

#8 Posted by RiotBananas (3822 posts) -
@Briguile said:
" Just as relevant here so I am reposting my thoughts on this issue   I just want to say to everyone upset about having to disable ad blocking programs on Giant Bomb I feel like your anger is a little  unwarranted. Giant Bomb to me is a positive example of internet advertising. There are  no terrible sidebars with ads for products which seem like lies  lose 100lbs without even getting up. What bothers me about the people complaining that they have to disable ad-block is the notion that without ad-block Giant Bomb is unusable (clearly not the case).  Websites to some degree rely on advertising to support them like newspapers used to.  The thing I love about Giant Bomb the advertising does not feel pervasive and its done with a purpose. So many ads take my cities name and assume I am a Mom from there which is fucking terrible and thank god the ads for Giant Bomb at least are for products I might want to buy.   Giant Bomb has  been around for almost two years. The staff seems to know how to run a good website. The  ads are not terrible in the way a lot of internet advertising is they are specific and things we the users might actually want to buy.  This is good. For all others indignant at  the thought of advertising on the internet they should realize there's a difference between good and bad internet advertising. Giant Bomb is on the good side in internet advertising thus supporting them is something worthwhile. "
I tried supporting them by buying T-shirts, which never got shipped to me.

I do not like having advertisements at all. Hence me having Ad Block at all. They make the pages look messy and they just generally piss me off. I never click them so it's a waste of time me seeing them right? Right. So if I'm never going to click them I don't need to see them and that's why I have Ad Block. Fair enough they need money to run the site, but forcing me to view something I don't want to, especially when I have means to block such material just angers me slightly.
#9 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7465 posts) -

Because a couple of small banner ads would bother you so much... 

#10 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2510 posts) -

Are those ads still limited to viewers from the USA? Because I see absolutely nothing and the AdBlock on my Google Chrome can't be that good.

#11 Posted by Jambones (1726 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" because they need money from ads like everyone else? Money doesnt grow from the magical tree in the backyard "
#12 Posted by Karmum (11515 posts) -

You know what's awesome? There is a topic about this in Bug Reporting. With these exact problems and much more. Do your complaining there, and maybe you might get an answer.

(hint: you can use giantbomb as an exception in adblocker)

#13 Posted by cikame (1192 posts) -

I use flashblock, i don't mind adverts as long as its just a still image, Gametrailers made me start using it with its really anoying adverts that played music every time you went on it.

Now i just click the flash video square and it pops up :D so peaceful.

#14 Posted by Baillie (4578 posts) -
@RiotBananas: Well, it's nice to know you don't support the GiantBomb crew, so why should they support you?
#15 Posted by TheBeast (1920 posts) -

Please see this thread for an explanation on the ad blocking notification; 

If the player doesn't work for you now you likely have noscript or adblock running on Firefox. We didn't do this intentionally, it's just the way we have to check for an ad before we initialize the player. At the same time we have no intention of spending parts of our workday trying to build a workaround for people specifically trying to avoid the only means of revenue this website has. It's not like we deliver crazy popunders or anything. At most you'll have to endure 4 prerolls per day, per user.     

Perhaps you can consider watching a 15 second advertisement as a token of gratitude for all the awesome you are about to receive (for free).