WoW Lead Programmer to Make Zombie MMO

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By End_Boss
Destructoid has the details on this one. Apparently Jeff Strain (lead programmer of Blizzard's MMO behemoth, World of Warcraft) is set to develop a zombie MMO out of his new company, "Undead Labs." 

I've often tried to picture what a zombie MMO might look like, but I've never been able to come up with a concept that would work in a persistent world. Regardless, I'm psyched to see what Strain and his new company work up.

Do you feel there's a place for a "AAA" zombie title on today's MMO scene?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Awesome!  My friends and I have always thought a zombie themed MMO would be amazing.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz

Left 1,000,000 Dead.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

Base it off of the Zombie Survival Guide and I'm sold.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By End_Boss
@PureRok said:
" Base it off of the Zombie Survival Guide and I'm sold. "
Have you read The Walking Dead? Because it's like the Zombie Survival Guide without all of the boring technical crap. Also, World War Z.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dude, great news, Looking forward to more about it

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

From a WoW developer, huh...will there be naked zombie girls dancing on mailboxes?  

Wasn't Value the only developer still allowed to make zombie games?  Seriously, I think the industry is reaching critical mass with the genre.  Zombie is the new World War II.

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By masterherocard

Hey, i'm up for "AAA" Titles on any scene. 
And I do love re-killing zombies.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PureRok
@End_Boss said:

" @PureRok said:

Have you read The Walking Dead? Because it's like the Zombie Survival Guide without all of the boring technical crap. Also, World War Z. "
I have read World War Z. The Zombie Survival Guide was hardly boring; I found the whole thing fascinating and an interesting read throughout.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss
@PureRok said:
" @End_Boss said:

" @PureRok said:

Have you read The Walking Dead? Because it's like the Zombie Survival Guide without all of the boring technical crap. Also, World War Z. "
I have read World War Z. The Zombie Survival Guide was hardly boring; I found the whole thing fascinating and an interesting read throughout. "
Well, it's basically just your standard wilderness survival guide with some zombie-talk peppered in for flavor. Felt way too much like a textbook to me.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok
@End_Boss said:
" @PureRok said:
" @End_Boss said:

" @PureRok said:

I have read World War Z. The Zombie Survival Guide was hardly boring; I found the whole thing fascinating and an interesting read throughout. "
Well, it's basically just your standard wilderness survival guide with some zombie-talk peppered in for flavor. Felt way too much like a textbook to me. "
I guess it helped that I enjoy reading textbooks.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By DCFGS3

Well there's a few things I'll need from this game. First of all, it has to be NOTHING like WoW, it's gotta be a real time FPS. Secondly it should changing environments and zones, like zombies are actually able to overrun towns, and you can then fight to reclaim them.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss
@DCFGS3: From what I understand from the article, most of what you're asking will be given to you, except maybe the FPS bit (which I'd be okay with, honestly). Strain mentions in the article that this won't be anything like WOW, so you're safe there.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By meteora

Zombie MMO?

Hell yes. Any sort of MMO that isn't fantasy based is pretty welcomed, actually.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DystopiaX
@End_Boss: just wanted to point out that World War Z is written by the same guy who wrote the zombie survival guide. 

As for the game, I think it would be interesting. They could do the standard 2 faction thing-have one side be zombies and the other side zombie hunters. Too early to tell if it'll be good though. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Meteora said:
" Any sort of MMO that isn't fantasy based is pretty welcomed, actually. "
Completely agreed, which is why I've probably never played an MMO. I would like to see this play out with lots of gameplay devices to protect yourself from the undead, like assembling resources and barricading yourself into a house with a wide variety of things. You can set up 'bases' with traps and comfort areas using a tycoon/sims like interface and then switch to an action style whenever you have to defend or venture out for food. The idea of becoming  zombie when you die would make the death system very interesting. Zombies may have to plan and attack houses together in waves. I don't know, I just love the concept.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

this game has my full support

oh FUCK yes.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss
@DystopiaX said:
" @End_Boss: just wanted to point out that World War Z is written by the same guy who wrote the zombie survival guide.  As for the game, I think it would be interesting. They could do the standard 2 faction thing-have one side be zombies and the other side zombie hunters. Too early to tell if it'll be good though. I'll definitely keep an eye on this. "
I'm aware. I actually reviewed both books.

Also, I think the zombie MMO would have to be far more mercenary than a simple two sides. I can imagine that safehouse sieges and whatnot could easily be one of the coolest parts of this game.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

So he's going to ride a recent wave of popularity in gaming in order to make an MMO that is going to fall by the wayside? 

No thanks.  I'll stick to Left 4 Dead for my fill of zombies.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DystopiaX
@End_Boss: I meant more like choosing a faction- not limited to a PVP type thing. I agree, a siege type thing would be awesome; playing zombie honor rules in Halo: CE , 2, and Halo PC are some of my favorite multiplayer gametypes (especially on Hang em High-you'll basically never die as a human, lol) 

Anyway, I definitely think that there's a lot of room to get creative with a zombie MMO, and it could turn out to be a lot more unique than WoW/WoW clones. Makes sense from a business standpoint too-if it's different from WoW, they won't be direct competitors.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

it will be cool. 

heres how the game will be lol. level 40 for 90g u will be a 40% faster zombie, level 60 u get 100% faster zombie. level 70 u will become a flying zombie. there will be naked zombies dancing on mailboxes. there will be an auction house where u sell zombie stuff. just think about world of warcraft just with zombies and u will be set lol.