#1 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Neither, they'll be there forever and ever. 
Because terrible games can still be fun if played with a bunch of people

#3 Edited by Maginnovision (486 posts) -

I imagine it'd be WoW, they just need another game for their customers to move over to then they close the servers(I didn't vote so that I can read comments and be with the popular vote for once!)

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

WoW. Someday they will make a WoW 2 and Runescape will still be Runescape.

#5 Posted by gamefreak9 (2356 posts) -

Wow might one day turn F2P and then runescape goes bye bye!

#6 Posted by Maginnovision (486 posts) -

@gamefreak9: You must not have played runescape. Even if WoW were free those people would keep playing runescape. I got out when it went all weird 3d.

#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Hard to predict but it seems more likely that it'd be World of Warcraft. That game requires a lot more to keep going, there are more products in direct competition with it, and it seems more likely that Blizzard would come out with something to succeed WoW than that Jagex would come out with something to succeed Runescape.

#8 Posted by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

I'd say WoW. Blizzard will want those servers for Titan someday but Runescape will go on forever as long as it turns a profit.

#9 Posted by benspyda (2032 posts) -

Wow, I didn't know Runescape still existed.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -

Easily WoW. Like, unquestionably so. Eventually Blizzard will release WoW 2 or Titan or whatever and migrate everyone over (obviously not immediately when those games release but they'll stagger the server shutdown at some point in the future). Runescape will keep going forever because it's a very profitable F2P browser-based MMO.

#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12481 posts) -

I'm going to guess WOW because since it's so big, it takes a lot more assets to maintain. Once Blizzard moves on to the next big thing, they won't want to keep dumping money into WOW. Unlike the switch from Everquest to Everquest 2, I don't think WOW's massive player base will be upset that they can't import their original characters over. I bet most WOW fans are used to building up alts and such, so beginning fresh won't be a big deal. You can probably run Runescape on Ipad, so that thing will be around for ages to come.

#12 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

The comments are overwhelmingly in favor of WoW dying first, but the poll's results are directly contrary. I'm betting on WoW dying first, by the way.

#13 Posted by Mijati (908 posts) -
@benspyda said:

It's still the second biggest MMO behind WoW, yet for whatever reason it's never talked about when people are discussing MMORPGs.
#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

I voted Runescape, but now I kind of think I was wrong. Being in a browser is such a weird advantage. Kids used to play that every day in the lab back when I was in middle and high school. Hell even now that I'm in college I've seen a couple dudes boot it up in my game design class.

#15 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

I went with WoW

I suspect the player numbers needed to keep runescape running are quite a bit lower then what WoW would need. But honestly I don't see either going away for a long time. There is likely to be a fundamental shift in gaming or the internet before either vanishes.

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

I'm going to guess WOW because since it's so big, it takes a lot more assets to maintain. Once Blizzard moves on to the next big thing, they won't want to keep dumping money into WOW. Unlike the switch from Everquest to Everquest 2, I don't think WOW's massive player base will be upset that they can't import their original characters over. I bet most WOW fans are used to building up alts and such, so beginning fresh won't be a big deal. You can probably run Runescape on Ipad, so that thing will be around for ages to come.

Yeah, they'll just have some thing where they get free mounts or something for playing the original WoW. EQ2 did it with titles, it just sucked ass anyway.

#17 Posted by PhantomGardener (461 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

Wow might one day turn F2P and then runescape goes bye bye!

QFT

#18 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

It always freaks me out when I see pre-payed Runescape cards in W.H. Smiths. I can't believe it still exists.

#19 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Man, I have some pretty good memories of Runescape and some really terrible ones as well. That game is aimed at 11-year-old me in a lot of ways, but that's not the point of the topic.

The way I see it, Runescape is still great for the same reason I first got into it, which was that it's an exceptional My-First-MMORPG. It's also incredibly popular still somehow, which is somewhat baffling to me, and apparently very profitable. Therefore, I don't see any reason for it to shut down, since Jagex has found a niche position which is earning big bucks and is probably not going to be easy to shift them off of.

I have not played WoW, but it's an MMORPG that isn't as accessible, has a waning fanbase even though it's still going strong, and is made by a more traditional company that has made quite a bit of money lately off of sequels. I'm not qualified at all to speak on it, and I hear it is (or was) incredible, but I can quite easily see it fading away because the same company has made something that surpasses it and makes it obsolete.

Unfortunately, this has made me want to re-sub to Runescape to see how much has changed, and that is a dark, dark road...

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

It always freaks me out when I see pre-payed Runescape cards in W.H. Smiths. I can't believe it still exists.

I've actually spotted a CGI Runescape advert on TV a couple of times recently.

#21 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

I've actually spotted a CGI Runescape advert on TV a couple of times recently.

We are doomed.

#22 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

Society.

Oh no he diient.

#23 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I thought RS was already dead honestly.

#24 Posted by Flawed_System (388 posts) -

@Maginnovision said:

@gamefreak9: You must not have played runescape. Even if WoW were free those people would keep playing runescape. I got out when it went all weird 3d.

Same here.

#25 Posted by DiscoGobbo (35 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Society.

Oh no he diient.

Probably the most accurate answer. Everquest, Asheron's Call, and Ultima Online are all still around 13 years later and they had a fraction of the success of WoW or Runescape.

#26 Edited by L44 (555 posts) -

As long as there is the internet there will be Runescape

I left when the wilderness wasnt completely PvP anymore, incase your wondering.

#27 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@benspyda said:

#28 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I never actually realized that runescape was a big game. I played it maybe two years ago and I wasnt very into it.

#29 Edited by Khann (2817 posts) -

Runescape is still massive.

God the hours my 13-16 year old self put into that game. Think I have a 126 sitting somewhere still.

But yeah, WoW will die first. When they bring Titan out, I'm sure they'll be "encouraging" players to move over to it. That said, it doesn't hurt them to have a solid WoW subscriber-base still.

#30 Posted by MattyFTM (14363 posts) -

I feel like Blizzard will eventually come out with a new MMO to replace WoW and the majority of the userbase will jump ship, and WoW will limp on as a free-to-play game for a few years before being shut down. But Jagex will keep on developing RuneScape until the company goes bust, which I doubt will happen anytime soon. Even if Jagex eventually do go under, a new company could easily come along and purchase the rights to RuneScape and continue it. I think RuneScape will continue for a looooong time.

#31 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Definitely WoW.

#32 Posted by joshth (503 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Society.

Oh no he diient.

Sweep, you're great.

#33 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

The universe.

#34 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

People seem to think that Runescape will never have a follow up, I'm curious as to why that is.

#35 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I was unaware anyone was still selling Runscape. I thought it was a 100% free to play game, being run by some Korean company.

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

Runescape is probably running on an old Dell laptop in some guys basement, so I assume it'll be around forever.

#37 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would say wow. runescape is a free game that a lot of young people play as they don't have money.

#38 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

WoW. Whenever Blizzard realeases another MMO most of the player base will switch over, plus I wouldn't be surprised if they put some incentive plan to make WoW players sign up to the new game (in game items or whatever else). Plus as someone said WoW is probably much more expensive to maintain then Runescape.

#39 Edited by Maginnovision (486 posts) -

@Hizang said:

People seem to think that Runescape will never have a follow up, I'm curious as to why that is.

Because they've never had a follow up in ALOT of years(about 10?). What they have done is massive changes, which is what they'll probably continue to do.

#40 Edited by gaminghooligan (1434 posts) -

Runescape fans seem pretty loyal... but I think a free WoW might win the day.

#41 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Personally I was a Runescape kid, it was my first and last MMO. I couldn't afford WOW as a child, so I just played Runescape. I never even got the membership, just free to play, made many friends and had a great time. But as with all things I burnt out and stopped playing, I went back years later only to see that so much had changed that I didn't want to play it any more. When I got a job i got WOW but soon discovered I didn't want to play MMO's ever again, far too time consuming and just not for me anymore.

#42 Posted by Lysergica33 (521 posts) -

I don't think Runescapes going anywhere. It's simple to learn and hard to master and easy to run on even the worst machines. As far as I know it's still very popular with the 11+ crowd, just the kind of people that often can't afford WoW subscriptions (or can't get their parents to pay for them.) I like WoW, but I don't think in a million years it could have the same kind of staying power as Runescape.

Ah, the nostalgia for old 2d runescape is flooding back. Great times, fishing for lobsters 12 hours at a time for a week is oddly one of my fondest childhood memories. Thanks OP!

#43 Edited by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -

WoW, for Runescape it's easier to make updates forever since it has no disc userbase, been going on for longer and is much easier to make graphical and gameplay changes to, due to it's nature as an internet only browser game.

@MauroR: Your use of the word retard is fucking disgusting duder.

#44 Posted by Tebbit (4456 posts) -

Runescape at this point must be basically free to run. I say it'll last for longer.

#45 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

They will both exist in some form or another for a long time but whenever Blizzard do a new mmo I imagine a large portion of their player base dedicated or casual would migrate to the new mmo. So I'd say WoW will go first.

#46 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I don't even know what Runescape is.

#47 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I doubt it will kill it, but with the whole MMO industry shifting towards F2P, I'll bet Runescape is going to face some pretty harsh pressure, while WoW could see something of a resurgence if/when it goes F2P. At the end of the day though, I think you're stuck with the whole 'People still play Ultima Online!' argument. The only thing that's going to stop either game is them doing something extremely criminal/stupid that tanks their business, but that's not terribly likely.