Wow, you have got to be sh*tting me (rant incoming)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I just checked up on some of my wiki edited pages, and, although I don't really mind that someguy completely erased everything I wrote, but what really pisses me off is that the guy just copied and pasted the entire article from wikipedia.com word for fucking word.

I mean, I put all this effort into using my own writing style, and only using the information given from other sources as a guide, but someone else decided to use the quick and easy way in order to make some points without putting even a single shred of a thought into it.

And he didn't even site the page where he took the info out of, that's plagiarism my friends.

Are users allowed to do this? To simply copy other people's work in its entity  and just pasting it onto a page?

What the hell is the point of even doing the damn wiki pages then if there isn't any creativity or passion about writing them.

I'm sorry I'm being so pissy atm, but this just really grinds my gears.

*rant over*

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Steve_C

Wow, that's a bummer. Shit like that is totally not permitted on the site. All the written content should be original.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's bullshit, yeah, but use this as a lesson, man.

When you're writing a wiki page--always save a copy of it, just in case something like this happens.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DXSSI

Doesn't Giant Bomb have any reversion capabilities?

Anders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Anders

I've never seen a Wiki that doesn't store all edits so you can go back and track changes, roll shit back etc, I'd imagine they have the same capabilities in some shape or form here as well.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Absurd

I would be pissed off as well, I'm assuming you've reported this to the wiki moderators?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Anders said:
"I've never seen a Wiki that doesn't store all edits so you can go back and track changes, roll shit back etc, I'd imagine they have the same capabilities in some shape or form here as well."

Most Wikis are also based off of the same software, too. This one isn't, AFAIK.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate

That sucks buddy :( surely theres a reversal for it though>

NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator

Unfortunately there's not currently any history/revision system in place, though I know it's one of the things the staff want to implement in the future. In the mean time I have to strongly recommend that you keep a backup copy of any submissions that you make to the site, so that you can resbumit in the unfortunate case that something like this happens (which thankfully is relatively uncommon).

Content plagiarised from other sites is absolutely not tolerated here. Can you please send me a private message with details on which articles have the content copied from wikipedia? Thanks!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_

I have word documents of every major article I've ever edited in a significant manner.