Wrestling vs. games and non-gaming content?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a72087901fb1
deactivated-5a72087901fb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel like this might be an unpopular post but feel it's worth saying publicly.

As much as I like Giant Bomb (I don't subscribe/pay for anything else on the internet except games themselves) I would've been a lot happier if my sub money had gone towards a trip to gamescom rather than whatever wrestling thing Alex/Dan have gone to.

(edit: I was informed they paid for it themselves)

Further, I kind of wish there was a lot less wrestling content on the site overall (or.. umm.. none).

I don't like wrestling but I don't mind GB making content on subjects unrelated to gaming such as occasional wrestling content. I just think that there's a bit too much wrestling content and more subscribers would be better served by making half of that wrestling content on other non-gaming subjects.

How about a half hour cooking show with Dan as the host?

Music show with DJ Jeff?

Science quiz show hosted by Brad?

Filmed group trip to an arcade/elsewhere?

What do people think? Keep content as it is? More non-game content? Less non-game content?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Alex and Dan going to Summerslam was out of their own pocket.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm kind of bummed at all the non-gaming content around here, but the wrestling trip was, as mentioned, on their own dime. I believe that was discussed either on the last bombcast or on the last Unprofessional Friday's.

Also, it is still really weird to be talking about contributions and premium and resources and stuff. I mean, granted, GB is just a little tiny offshoot in a closet that is part of a bunch of tiny offshoots that CBS probably forgot it even owns, but it's not like CBS isn't a thirty billion dollar corporation or anything, too. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah I didn't know, they took it as holiday then?

Either way I would still be interested in people answering the question of more vs. less non-gaming content.

I like the balance as it stands, although it's a shame for me I don't really like wrestling or F1.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baillie

How about the staff just cater to your interests and not their own, is that what you mean?

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What wrestling content on the site exists besides the powerbombcast? It's just a podcast once every month, it's not like they're devoting a lot of resources to it. I'm not into F1 but I think it's fine that that podcast exists.

If you're talking about the amount of wrestling on the regular bombcast then... I mean you might as well ask them to stop talking about fast food and 80s movies.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

What would have they gotten out of going to Germany? Sitting at press conferences that were broadcasted on the internet? Playing the ten or so games that weren't already at E3?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I just checked in with GB more often than usual this weekend and got a bit sick of seeing some wrestlers crack over and over again.

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the wrestling and other non-gaming content, and I'm pretty sure other people do, and there isn't a lot of wrestling content anyway, just the Power Bombcasts every month, and the 20 minutes of wrestling discussion on the Bombcast, which you can skip anyway.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My understanding is that they were out there primarily to see WWE 2K15, which is obviously games-related business. To your broader point, I similarly have no interest in wrestling, but part of the reason why I like Giant Bomb is because they don't stick to the script and are comfortable featuring non-games related content on the site. I'd be perfectly fine with them expanding that side of things if it feels natural.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically I like the fact that they are able to occasionally veer off in to other subjects such as wrestling and F1, I just wish they didn't veer off-topic in to wrestling and F1.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Do I wish they always talked about NBA Street 2 and Tactical Espionage Action? Yes.

But I'll take Wrestling and F1.

Giant Bomb is just like having friends who ignore you all the time. Sometimes they talk about shit you don't care about.

I mean, damn, if I was on a podcast I'd dedicate a half hour to Wesley Snipes movies every week. And tabouleh. Sweet, sweet tabouleh.

mickelboy182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we're all missing the important part in the OP....

Dan needs a cooking/fast food review show... Needs to fully embrace the gimmick.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since when was the GiantBombcast a podcast about videogames?

Poppy_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also find wrestling incredibly boring and stupid, I'm not judging anyone who likes it that's a subjective opinion, but it would be cool if maybe they spent less time talking about it on the bombcast. But maybe I'm just being a selfish idiot hole because I guess a lot of GB users enjoy their wrestling content.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi
@poppy_persona said:

I also find wrestling incredibly boring and stupid, I'm not judging anyone who likes it that's a subjective opinion, but it would be cool if maybe they spent less time talking about it on the bombcast. But maybe I'm just being a selfish idiot hole because I guess a lot of GB users enjoy their wrestling content.

If they didn't talk about wrestling on the bombcast they wouldn't replace that time with anything, it would just make it that much shorter and then nobody is happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's tons of non-gaming content on the site. Look at all the Dota streams!

jaynford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is super silly and clearly just a direct response to Dan's presence upping the wrestling REFERENCES.

Everyone has a thing, and it is super dumb to pick out ONE of those things and ***** about it.

I don't give a **** about Dota or racing, but guess what, Drew and Brad do, and that stuff is gonna come out in a personality driven website. You are asking them to suppress their natural reactions and comments as to not mention a subject you find uninteresting. That is crazy.

Dan will ALWAYS make wrestling references and Jeff will also go along with it because that is what they would be doing normally. Do you realize how many hip hop references Jeff makes on a regular basis? A LOT...but he should because that is a trait of his personality which is what drives this website.

This is a total non-issue imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jaynford said:

Do you realize how many hip hop references Jeff makes on a regular basis? A LOT...but he should because that is a trait of his personality which is what drives this website.

Jeff is pretty much just Licensed To Ill with the word 'Sonic' cropping up occasionally.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. We need the Dan cooking show.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll admit it was pretty weird(?) that Dan kept on making references and comparisons to wrestling during that clothes stealing game last week. But I guess if it helps him understand/clarify/whatever, then sure?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@brodehouse said:

There's tons of non-gaming content on the site. Look at all the Dota streams!

No but for real, this is such a pointless nitpick.