#1 Edited by spraynardtatum (3014 posts) -

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/microsoft-no-cross-platform-play-between-xbox-one-and-xbox-360/

"Because of the different architecture of the systems it's not possible. Your Xbox Live account on 360 will carry over to Xbox One. That same account will work on both platforms. The multiplayer won't."

I am reading that quote as them saying that when you transfer your account to the Xbox One you can no longer play multiplayer on the 360. Is that how you guys are reading it or am I just being sensitive?

#2 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

No, they're saying you can't play multiplayer with a friend on a different generation console.

#3 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

Most obvious news story ever? Who thought you could cross play between generations?

#4 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

All thats saying is that if i have the XB1 version of CoD:doggies and my friend is playing the 360 version we wont be able to play together.

#5 Edited by EXTomar (4760 posts) -

I would believe that would mean you can't play with 360 friends and your XBox One friends on CoD on either platform.

#6 Posted by spraynardtatum (3014 posts) -

I feel like a doofus. Thanks

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@brendan said:

Most obvious news story ever? Who thought you could cross play between generations?

Doesn't mean I'm not going to get outraged!!!

It won't play GameCube games either!

#8 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1132 posts) -

@brendan said:

Playstation set the standard with Portal 2 and other games. The Microsofts with their walled-garden, more like a walled cemetary as of now, refuse to adhere to standards. They had shadowrun that had cross platform MP...

#9 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@brendan said:

Playstation set the standard with Portal 2 and other games. The Microsofts with their walled-garden, more like a walled cemetary as of now, refuse to adhere to standards. They had shadowrun that had cross platform MP...

360/GFWL cross-play was server-based, there's no reason that MS would provide a server infrastructure to add features to a legacy console. Hell, even if 360s and Ones could p2p they probably wouldn't allow it.

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4760 posts) -

There are distinct reasons why one shouldn't mix PC with console players in "tracked matches" but there is far less reason to deny mixing console and console. This feels like it should be up to the SV than Microsoft (or Sony) where if someone wants to invest the time to make their online pull from 360 and One and PS4 and PS3 pools then let them.