XBox 360 Controller Emulation on the PC

mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

Edited By mercanis

I can't recommend this emulator enough. Simply drag and drop the DLLs into the same directory as the game executable as instructed by the readme. The result: games are tricked into thinking your Logitech controller is a Microsoft XBox 360 controller.

With many modern games designed from a console perspective (not to mention developers exclusively supporting only the Microsoft controller), games can be played the way they were meant to be played... but on a PC and with another controller.

I've written about this before on the Fallout 3 forums, but I'm writing again because I ran into trouble with Mirror's Edge. Buttons and axes were swapped and fixing the controls seemed impossible. The simple (and counter-intuitive) solution: include the dinput8.dll with the other emulator files. For some reason, this fixes the button mapping problems!

The URL:
mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mercanis

I can't recommend this emulator enough. Simply drag and drop the DLLs into the same directory as the game executable as instructed by the readme. The result: games are tricked into thinking your Logitech controller is a Microsoft XBox 360 controller.

With many modern games designed from a console perspective (not to mention developers exclusively supporting only the Microsoft controller), games can be played the way they were meant to be played... but on a PC and with another controller.

I've written about this before on the Fallout 3 forums, but I'm writing again because I ran into trouble with Mirror's Edge. Buttons and axes were swapped and fixing the controls seemed impossible. The simple (and counter-intuitive) solution: include the dinput8.dll with the other emulator files. For some reason, this fixes the button mapping problems!

The URL:
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I've been hearing about this sort of thing lately.  Do PC games that have 360 gamepad support really not let you set controller preferences anymore?

mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mercanis

The lack of gamepad customization can be very lousy. For instance, Mirror's Edge only recognizes the Microsoft XBox 360 controller, and you can't even change which buttons map to which actions. Fallout 3's gamepad support barely exists either.

PC games where you can't even edit your controls... it's laughable.
PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By PufferFiz

get a third party application that sets up and configures the controller. Don't rely on ingame stuff.

mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mercanis

I don't want to make overly general statements, but it looks like games with 360 gamepad support include much less customization, if any, than games that don't. It's standardization in place of versatility, which has its benefits, but makes users like me have to resort to hacks and buggy emulators.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The real problem I've faced with gamepads is that they just don't work in most games.  It's not even the button layout.  It's the fact that menus and things and the general setup is pc based.  While Gears and most ports work rather well, it's  just not always compatible with lots of games.
And hell, even Crysis doesn't support it nicely.  It just pretty much maps the controls as if they were a keyboard.  Therefore the steering of vehicles is either straight or full turn.  THat and, not as big of a deal, but there's no option to hold L for zoom instead of toggle with the RB