#1 Posted by monkey_fluid (19 posts) -

Nothing is perfect, and one of these things is the 360's controller, don't get me wrong - just cause it isn't perfect doesn't mean it's bad, cause it's probably the best of the current generation. But there's always room for improvement and I'm sure most people have thought of what they would do to change it - so whether you're into shooters, RPG's, actoin/adventure, strategy games or any other genre, what would you like to see done to the 360 to make your gaming experience better?

I play a lot of shooters, and I've always thought that the triggers were a little soft. If I could have it my way I'd replace the plastic triggers with heavy, metal ones, a much bigger spring to give it a more power and maybe make it click when you're 3/4 of the way through pulling it. So that when you letting rounds go it actually feels like you're firing a weapon. I also find that my fingers feel a little cramped because the battery pack takes up so much space underneath the bottom.
Anyone else got anything they'd change about their controller?
#2 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

How about a better D-pad.

#3 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

It'd probably only really be good for shooters and RTS games, but, since mice aren't quite doable with the 360, I'd like to try out a trackball in the place of the right analog stick, just to see how it works.

#4 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -
AnimZero said:
"It'd probably only really be good for shooters and RTS games, but, since mice aren't quite doable with the 360, I'd like to try out a trackball in the place of the right analog stick, just to see how it works."
That's an interesting concept. Do you think you'd be able to work the trackball well enough with just your right thumb? It seems like the sensitivity would be off and it would either over- or undercompensate.
#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

I'd make it slightly bigger. I have really big hands, so I'd benefit from it being slightly bigger (but only slightly, it's already one the biggest controllers I've used).

I'd also make the giant xbox guide button smaller. It's not a problem now, but when I first got my 360 I kept accidentally hitting it.

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -

I think that they should make the two analog sticks areas swappable with other control types such as the above mentioned trak-ball, a dial controller, or a small touch pad.  

#7 Posted by monkey_fluid (19 posts) -

The track-ball's a cool idea, i reckon it'd take some time to master it though, your thumbs would ache a bit after using it as well i imagine, would require a lot of fine tuning. Would you have a frictionless trackball, so you push it and it keeps on spinning to save you having to keep moving it forward, or would you have one that stops as soon as you stop moving it?

#8 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

A button on the controller to swap left and right sticks (not something I need, but many want it)

#9 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

A better D-pad. Maybe a slightly stronger spring for the left and right triggers.

#10 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

i don't mind the d-pad, and sometimes on both ps3 and 360 i find my self switching my hand position to some random shit for certain games, i would have my left hands pointer finger controlin the joystick while my 2 middle fingers on the lb and  my thumb on d-pad ( very rarely i do this)

#11 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
monkey_fluid said:
"The track-ball's a cool idea, i reckon it'd take some time to master it though, your thumbs would ache a bit after using it as well i imagine, would require a lot of fine tuning. Would you have a frictionless trackball, so you push it and it keeps on spinning to save you having to keep moving it forward, or would you have one that stops as soon as you stop moving it?"
Probably a frictionless one, since one that stops immediately would wear on people's joints after a couple hours I bet.
#12 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

a usable d-pad would be good

#13 Posted by Fenrisulfr (141 posts) -

Here's something that has always make me think: are lefties comfortable with the standard controls?  If not, why not have a softwar function that switches the controls around?  Now YABX funtions as the D-pad, the D-pad (replaced with an arrow system like the YABX buttons) funtions as the other set, the analog sticks are swapped around and ect... ect...

This way, even if a game doesn't have a southpaw setting, you can still play with that control lay out.  of course the buttons would have to be redesigned to give each side an equal feel... though this would probablly turn the Xbox controller into a more Dualshock looking contraption.  But hey, whatever works, works.  Right?

#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I'd make the bumpers (is that what they're called? That's what we all call them) more like triggers than buttons. Much like MattyFTM, I kept hitting them when I was starting out. 'Nades flyin everywhere.