Xbox 360 or PS3

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coreymw

I need some help. You guys might be able to tip me one way or another. I'm going to buy a new console this Friday. I'm torn as to which way to go. Most of my friends are on the 360 and I already have a profile there that's got about 8 years of achievements on it.

I have 1 or 2 friends on the PS3. I'm interested in the PS3 because it has a lot of old games I liked on the PS1 available for download. It also has some indie stuff I want to play. Namely, Pixel Junk shooter 2 and Journey.

What would you guys do?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

If you have an old account and all your friends are on it then it seems like a clear choice. A lot of games heavily rely on being able to play with friends. SSX is almost worthless if you don't have friends playing it. All those games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Gears of War etc are way more fun to play with friends than alone. I have both and one of the main reasons I never play on my PS3 is because none of my friends own it so theres no point in getting any multiplayer cross platform titles on it and playing with random kids calling me racial slurs.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coreymw

@Humanity: Fair points, all of them. I suppose I could find someone that has a PS3, or buy one from Craigslist that has a busted disc drive. All I want it for are the indie games.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Buy a wii. Zelda. Mario. Superior gaming platform.

If (for some reason) you don't want a wi, I pesonally would go with the Playstation 3, better exclusives.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By handlas

Ipad.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Tamaster92

Get both. Win-Win baby.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

I think the choice is obvious in this situation.

Go for the 360.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sooty

How did you get achievements before the 360 came out?!

I own both and if I had to choose one it'd be the PS3. The 360 exclusives leave much to be desired and the thing isn't that good as a media player compared to the PS3.

Also, the PS3 still has a shred of dignity left because there's not stupid avatars all over the place when you turn it on.

If you're an achievement whore then you may be disappointed in trophies, they're not implemented as well as achievements are on 360. But being an achievement whore is dumb and a total waste of time, you're not dumb, are you?

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Reuben

Aside from avatars being a reason not to get the xbox 360 ^.

I would say that whichever console you get, you will enjoy. I have both and while I do play my 360 more, the PS3 is just as good. Just go with what feels right, you won't be disappointed with either of them.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By nick_verissimo

It sounds more to me that you are into the games on the Playstation side, so I think you should go that route. At the end of the day, it's all about the games for me and I feel like Sony's first-party stuff is that much stronger.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps3- better exclusives. But almost every time, if a games multiplatform, its handicapped. Try playing either darkness game on it. A mess. Mass effect 3? It barely runs above 20fps, and sometimes gets into the single digits more times than you'd hope. And, try to get one with ps2 playback. Having upscaled ps2 games is a hugeee difference. One of the dumbest things sonys ever done... And updates every other week.... Each one being 150+ megs, and taking about a good 30+ minutes. Very....very annoying. And yes, it is every other week. At minimum, once a month. And....convex sticks. I HATE any game that requires precise aiming using the dual shock. Requies to turn the sensitivity low, since theres such a high dead zone.

360- better game reliability. Meaning, if you get a game for it, 9 times out of 10, its the best version sans the pc. Theres few occasions, like final fantasy 13 wasn't the greatest on it. But...heres the biggy. Even on the new systems, theres a reliability problem. Disc drives getting stuck, not reading discs anymore. I've had my launch ps3 since the end of 2006. I've went through 5 xbox 360s. Plenty of air and everything going to it too. Oh, and plus! As long as you're online for a few seconds, you can play original xbox games very nicely. SHORT, and very easy system updates too.

Since you can get a 360 for 130$, and a 60gig hard drive for 30$? Its an almost no brainer what you should get first.... Go for the slim, even if its more expensive.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

@Sooty said:

Also, the PS3 still has a shred of dignity left because there's not stupid avatars all over the place when you turn it on.

I really like the avatars on 360, makes the online have a bit more personality, even if all the outfits are expensive as hell.

That said probably go with PS3. At this point the 360 looks like all it has left is Halo 4. Every multiplatform game is (usually) the same on PS3, and the XMB isn't riddled with ads and the online is free. Also the PS3 has a metric shit ton more exclusives. At the end of the day its your call and my user name is blue so go with what you want the most.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lashe

If you're the kind of person who likes multiplayer, I would go for the 360 since that's where your friends seem to be. You can always pick up a PS3 on the cheap for any exclusives you missed later in the generation -- I did this last time round with the GameCube, I was a PS2 owner but picked up a GC for about £20 after the fact and got a few great games for super cheap.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By handlas

@DarthOrange said:

@Sooty said:

I really like the avatars on 360, makes the online have a bit more personality, even if all the outfits are expensive as hell.

That said probably go with PS3. At this point the 360 looks like all it has left is Halo 4. Every multiplatform game is (usually) the same on PS3, and the XMB isn't riddled with ads and the online is free. Also the PS3 has a metric shit ton more exclusives. At the end of the day its your call and my user name is blue so go with what you want the most.

I actually agree. Kinda wish PS3 had the avatar thing. I like my little 360 dood. I mean, we get little pictures but those aren't much of anything.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By cookiemonster

Choose the one that offers you the most friends to play with.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

Bofe uh dem.

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kato

I own both an I say 360. Multi-platform games are always ported better, including better graphics, and you can save up to get cheap PS3 for its (very few) exclusives. It's an amazing system.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Canteu

@Sooty said:

How did you get achievements before the 360 came out?!

You could bring over your original xbox profile to keep the years, but the achievements can only be like 6 years old at this point.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coreymw

My achievements aren't 8 years old, my profile is. Or very close.

I think I'm going with the Xbox 360. I can save up for an inexpensive PS3 at a later date. With all the time I've invested in my Xbox live account I can't leave it to die.

Does anyone want to be Xbox live friends? I'll be playing Battlefield 3 a lot and I never have enough friends for that. I'll probably pick up GTA: IV for cheap as well. I really liked the multiplayer.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By JTB123

@thechronodarkness: What problems is The Darkness 2 supposed to have on PS3? I played through it multiple times and it was completely fine, this is the first I've heard it. Disclaimer, I'm not flaming you, just curious.