Xbox 360 or PS3??? NEED help!

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By thebobster10

I need help to make a decision. Since the Elite is dropping to $299 along with the PS3, I am not sure which to get. I own the Wii currently but like many others, I am very upset with the direction that Nintendo took with it's online component so I think it is now time for me to upgrade to the more mature consoles. 

But I am not sure which to get. They are both similar in many ways, except that PS3 has free online play, but 360 doesnt. And PS3 has a blu ray player built in, basically saving a customer another $200. But the 360 has a Upconverting DVD player. I am STUCK. Not sure which to get. I need your opinions please.  

I am also thinking of selling my Wii and games and accesories on ebay for around $250-300 so i could  use that extra cash  for other things like accesories and games for either the 360 or PS3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This is going to be a debate you'll have to choose for yourself in the end, what games interest you? do you have a 1080p tv for bluray movies? do you want a red ring of death at some point?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez

Well, if you want a blu ray player then obviously you have to go with the PS3.  If you're looking for a large library of games go with the 360, but if you're looking for certain exclusive games go with the PS3.  If you want to play online go with the 360.  It depends on what YOU want.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bubahula

If your going to be doing anything online get a 360,  

get an elite, 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

The black Xbox elite is my console of choice.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By floodiastus

360 cuz its cheaper and got more games.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Guardian

PS3 is my vote. It also up-converts DVDs if you weren't aware. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

This thread is just going to turn into a debate between fanboys of either system. 

360 has more RPGs and Shooters. 
PS3 has more Adventure type games. 
 But, they both have awesome multiplatform games.  

PSN is free, yes, but the service of XBL is much better. When I shut down my computer and connect only my PS3 to PSN, I find that games are still laggy and slow even after all bandwidth is being allocated to PS3. That, and other lagging players too. Sure XBL has lag but much much less of it. 

In terms of reliability, 360s just need open spaces and lots of room around them. Install to HDD whenever you can so the disk drive isn't always going and you shall be fine, they won't get very hot that way. (Installs for the 360 are insanely fast - much, much faster than PS3 installs. I just find that that annoys me with my PS3, no biggie.) I've heard of PS3s breaking too, though. Not as often as 360s.

The New PS3s don't have backwards support, but the 360 only has supprt for I think 500 Original games? 

Oh, and if you care about Achievements or Trophies, all 360 games have achievements. Not even half of PS3 games have trophies, but they are all mandatory now. 

The only reason I got my PS3 was for MGS4. I have 6 games for it, and 40 for my 360. If MGS4 didn't exist, I never would have gotten a PS3... lol

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

Also the gamepad for the ps3 is better for fighting games than the xbox360. 

And with the xbox360 you get netfix streaming (movies) and the new games on demand where you can buy your games online, instead of purchasing from a store. 

Also the multiplatform games generally fare better on the xbox360. 

And some dlcs tend to come before or being exclusive for the xbox 360 and afterwards for the ps3, but contrary to this, the dlc for the new batman game will be exclusive for the ps3. It will probably see the light for the xbox360 later on. 

See the games you want, weight the pros and cons an make your mind. 

Good luck and happy gaming :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Oh yeah, The PS3 does have some good arcade games but the selection is far, far better on 360, especially with Shadow Complex now out.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By matthew

I would personally just shoot for the PS3.  If for no other reason than you can buy a 300+gb drive and pop it in there for 70$.  And the uncompressed audio if you have the setup for it.  

But yes, just weight the pro's and cons, what you like to play, etc.  It is going to come down to personal choice.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJOR64
@robbob88: In the end, it depends on what kind of games you like to play.  360 does have a bigger library of games so that does give it a little head start.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
@xyzygy said:
" 360 has more RPGs and Shooters. "
I'm fairly sure they both have a comparable number of shooters. But RPGs definitely go to 360 if you don't count the ones exclusive to Japan.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
@Kamasama: Yeah, I guess I was just thinking of GoW and Halo there. 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

you want free online and a machine that works then go with the ps3

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By tactis

basically do you want: 

Gears of War 1/Gears of War 2 
Halo 3 
Crackdown 
Mass Effect
Halo 3 ODST
Fable 2 
Froza 2/3   
etc... 

or do you want: 
Uncharted 1/2 
Killzone 2 
MGS 4
Resistance 1/2  
Little Big Planet
 etc.. 

in my opinon exclusives dont really matter too much this gen multiplats are pretty much the best games out there for me it came down to me liking Halo more than Resistance and Gears of War more than Killzone, however you cant go wrong either way.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't get where this lag shit on PSN comes from, I hardley ever get lag online, Killzone 2 online I never get lag, Battlefield 1943 runs very smoothly now, both CODS (even though I hate them) run smoothly, Resistance 2 runs perfect.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By sjschmidt93

Pros for 360. Cons for 360. 

Pros for PS3. Cons for PS3. 

Pro is +1, con is -1, whichever console has the most points wins.  

:)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64
@tactis said:
" in my opinon exclusives dont really matter too much this gen multiplats are pretty much the best games out there for me it came down to me liking Halo more than Resistance and Gears of War more than Killzone, however you cant go wrong either way. "
Agreed.  It seems like multiplatform games have been awesome this generation.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By damnboyadvance
@robbob88: I have this exact same problem too! I'm thinking of getting a 360 though since it seems to have a lot more games and things to do.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By regularassmilk

I would pick a PS3, but thats really only because I own a PS3, and love it so.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

PS3: More reliable, WiFi, Free Online, Blu Ray  

360: HD ready out of the box, More Games, Better Online, Somewhat-Innovative motion sensing idea (as opposed to sony's copy of the wii remote), Achievements on all games, some Multi-platform games run better on 360 (this depends on when the game was made though, The Orange Box is a prime example), backwards compatibility. 

I count 4 for Sony, 7 for MS on my post  

EDIT: OH, I forgot one. MS has much more content available to download on XBL, in terms of XBLA Games, DLC and the such. If someone wants to argue this one, maybe I'm wrong. Would this fit into better online?

8-M(maybe), 4-S

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24  Edited By natetodamax

Get the Xbox 360 Elite.

The Xbox 360 pajamas I'm wearing right now agree with me.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By KamasamaK

There are numerous threads already that ask pretty much this same question -- you should search for them. Since they're the same price and you have neither, it's only reasonable to compare exclusives assuming 360's hardware problems have been fixed; keep in mind certain things like online play and Wi-Fi for Xbox 360 can raise the price if you want them. We can't tell you what games you'll like, so you'll have to research that yourself. If Blu-ray is a selling point, then that obviously tips the scale to PS3. And as someone already said, it upconverts DVDs fine too. PS3 doesn't have and apparently won't get Netflix streaming if you want that, though like Blu-ray you could do this through your PC and some other consumer electronic devices, like the Roku.

@xyzygy said:

" 360: HD ready out of the box, More Games, Better Online, Somewhat-Innovative motion sensing idea (as opposed to sony's copy of the wii remote), Achievements on all games, some Multi-platform games run better on 360 (this depends on when the game was made though, The Orange Box is a prime example), backwards compatibility.  I count 4 for Sony, 7 for MS on my post   EDIT: OH, I forgot one. MS has much more content available to download on XBL, in terms of XBLA Games, DLC and the such. If someone wants to argue this one, maybe I'm wrong. Would this fit into better online? 8-M(maybe), 4-S "

Xbox 360 is not HD ready out of the box anymore -- see this thread. Their motion sensing technology is somewhat innovative, but the idea is not innovative and done with less advanced technology last gen with EyeToy and this gen with PlayStation Eye; just like Sony's technology is different but the idea is similar to the Wiimote + PlayStation Eye. Xbox 360 does have the higher quantity, but that's a poor metric to use for making a choice in my opinion. Also note that 360 doesn't have full backward compatibility and PS3 is still compatible with most PS1 games if that's an issue.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Quacktastic

Gears or Uncharted
Halo or Killzone
Forza or Gran Tourismo
____ or Little Big Planet
____ or Metal Gear Solid
____ or Valkyria Chronicles
Mass Effect or ____
Lost Odyssey or ____
Fable or ____

PS3 exlusives usually look better and third party games usually look a bit better on 360 due to being developed for 360 and then ported to PS3.
The differences are usually minimal and things like the Orange box or the first Lost planet are the exception to the rule.

PS3 has free online play, but that could change at any time. XBL cost isn't that high though.
The people who say Live is better are half right - the 360 is bundled with a microphone so it feels like it is but the networks are equally reliable.
Games tend to be a lot quieter or empty feeling on PS3 because of that.
The big advantage of XBL over PSN is the ability for cross game chat using the microphone and leaving audio messages for others.

PS3 has cheap to switch laptop hard drives and 360 drives are overpriced but it's not a huge deal.
360 hardware isn't that good compared to PS3, but MS is good about replacing them if you don't mind waiting two weeks here and there.
PS3 has a BRD drive if you have an HDTV or plan on getting one, 360 has netflix if you don't mind the fee (15 a month I think).

PS3 runs quieter and has an internal power supply, and an auto loading disk drive like the Wii.  
The 360 is a bit louder and uses a tray loading system, which has its problems and in 2009 feels a bit out dated.
The PS3 controller uses a recharging internal battery, unlike the Wii and 360, but the 360 has a cheap alternative charge kit you can buy.
New PS3 systems don't play PS2 games but play all PS1 games.
360 uses software BC that has plays a lot of XBOX games but no more will be added if a particular game you want isnt added as of now.

I've never even seen a scratched PS3 disk so if you buy games used its helpful to know that they will probably be in great condition.
My 360 scuffed all of my disks which is normal for that type of drive (think PS2) but destroyed two games due to scratches.
The 360 controller is generally viewed to be better, although its d-pad is very bad. 

XBL uses a point system much like the Wii which often makes you pay a bit more than you wanted leaving you with left over points.
PSN will charge you the exact dollar and cent amount.
It it really hard to remove a credit card from XBL, with PSN it is very easy.  If you go with 360 I'd advise you to use point cards for everything rather than a cc.

I just typed everything I could think of because I'm that bored.  So if you weren't trying to stir up shit and honestly are looking for info there you go.

Also, full disclosure: I sold my 360 and Wii a year ago and bought a PS3 so I am probably a bit bias.

thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thefreshmaker
@Quacktastic:  That's actually some of the least biased and most informative info I've seen on any of these threads, nice work!
copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By copycatzen

get a 360 if you like risk.... the risk of getting the red ring of death.
vunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vunna
@floodiastus said:
"360 cuz its cheaper and got more games. "

Your math is a little off.  A Xbox 360 at $299 is cheaper than a $299 PS3? 

Is that like what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of Wii games.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By animateria

Well, the 360 value depends on what kind of PC you have. Most of the 'exclusives' are PC & 360. 

If you have a decent PC that can play those, you can skip the 360.

If you don't well... I guess you should look at the exclusives list of the 360 vs the PS3.

I think the 1st party games are mostly better on the PS3 nowadays. But Microsoft pushes hard for timed exclusives.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Steve_C

Games aside, PS3 has built in wi-fi. Unless you're planning to do your online gaming through a wired ethernet connection, you'll need to shell out more for wi-fi with the 360.

vunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vunna

Do you have friends that own either system already?  How many on each console?    49,999 points for the console with the most ppl.

Do you care about Blu-Ray and have an HD TV?    46,007 points for PS3.  

Do you like to talk to during multiplayer games when playing them online?   1,069 points for Xbox 360.  

Exclusive games on each system?  No more mascots anymore but what games interest you the most: MGS4, Infamous, GT5 vs Gears of War, Crackdown, PGR4.    57,112 points for the console with the sweetest exclusives.

Go with your gut:  what system is cool to you?    98,987 points for that console. 

Add them up and you have a winner.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EdIsCool

yeah you have to price the Ps3 at 229 to help you make your decision.Wifi for xbox is still 75 over here in little paddyland

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CharlieTuna

I have both and I'd say PS3 for sure, it's by far more feature complete and for the same price to me the answer seems simple enough. There are few exclusives on both to sway either way (At least for now) but all in all you get rechargeable batteries as standard (fuck the charge kits for 360, mine broke and AA batteries suck), WiFi, free online (while not as good as Live it's in no way bad and most first party games have dedicated servers, unlike the MS ones) and blu-ray (I honestly did not care about it until I saw how sick it looks on a LED-HDTV, now I have to get one). With the 360 you get a headset, HD-cables and....Hexic.

I myself went from Wii > PS3 and that switch pretty much soured me on Nintendo as a whole, the difference in quality is insane. So I sold the thing soon after and bought the 360 also, maybe that's a good idea for you.

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pantalooney

It depends, if you plan to play more online go for 360, i own both and my play time online is mostly on 360 but if you plan on using blu ray a lot, take the ps3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have both and vastly prefer my PS3.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Online was the big one for me. Most of my friends who play games have a 360. I barely know anyone with a PS3. But the red ring is a pain.