#1 Posted by elandir (10 posts) -

Hello to you all, this is my first thread and post here. Nice to meet you =)

I'm here to ask, as a PS3 owner, your opinion about that: should i wait for Wii U to get "mature" and buy a Xbox 360 or a Xbox 360 is not worth anymore, since i already have a PS3 and this console cycle is almost in the end ?

I'm bored with my PS3 right now. Been reading about the better online enviroment Xbox provides, also very excited to see what devs can make of Wii U new controller.

#2 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Xbox 360 hands down, wii u's launch lineup is stale, and the support doesn't seem like it will pick up for some time. Then again, it's not out yet either, but I'd say pass.

#3 Edited by _Chad (963 posts) -

I'm going to say it before anyone else gets a chance.

Get a PC.

I'd say if you're going to get one get a 360 or save your money and wait until next year for the new stuff to come out.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

Xbox 360 hands down, wii u's launch lineup is stale, and the support doesn't seem like it will pick up for some time. Then again, it's not out yet either, but I'd say pass.

But he has a PS3, so buying an Xbox 360 seems a little redundant. Wii U is unique enough to be worthwhile as its own thing. And the Wii U won't take that long to pick up. Pikmin 3, Rayman, and Game and Wario should already be out in the first half of next year.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Get a PC derp.

I'd say if you're going to get one get a 360 or save your money and wait until next year for the new stuff to come out.

I agree with this guy. A PC. You'll never want to look back once you get used to it.

#6 Posted by MB (11973 posts) -

If you've never owned an Xbox 360, it's a great time to get one. There are a lot of good exclusives that you probably didn't get to play and many of them can be found for pretty cheap.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -
@FreakAche

@BestUsernameEver said:

But he has a PS3, so buying an Xbox 360 seems a little redundant. Wii U is unique enough to be worthwhile as its own thing. And the Wii U won't take that long to pick up. Pikmin 3, Rayman, and Game and Wario should already be out in the first half of next year.

Same goes for me. The 360 and the PS3 have a very similar library. I say go for the Wii U if you want to get a new console this holiday.
#8 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

I am biased because I was burned by the lack of support for the wii. I won't really trust Nintendo's perseverance until I see it again. Also as you said, the 360 is pretty much redundant to a ps3 owner, unless he really likes Halo, forza and Gears, he should probably pick up a wii u. The only thing that interests me for the wii u right now is rayman, and I am sure that will end exclusivity with the wii within months.

#9 Posted by elandir (10 posts) -

Ooh about the pc, i already have a decent pc, been playing BF3 with it and other games. But i rather use my console, i use the PC mostly for shooters, mmos and exclusives (like the goods RTS).

#10 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Get a PC.

More importantly, a cheap PC is fine too, there's a huge library of indie games or old that run just fine on a small tower. With big picture mode in Steam too, it's pretty much a next gen console.

#11 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2196 posts) -

Well if you already own a good PC you might as well get the 360 now. Wait on the Wii U till you see more titles that you want.

#12 Posted by SirShandy (38 posts) -

If you're really into third and first person shooters, the 360 has quite a few quality exclusives like Halo and Gears of War. The Forza games are pretty great as well. One of my favorite exclusives was Alan Wake, but that might be on PC now also. But you should also keep in mind that the next Xbox will probably be backwards compatible so if you ever plan to pick that up, that huge library will be available to you.

Though if you're looking at getting the Wii U but aren't sure, you could wait a couple month's near the end of the launch window and see if you like the offerings. There's quite a few interesting exclusives like ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, and probably Bayonetta 2 later in the year. Time will tell how well those games pan out, but it show's nice variety depending on what you're interested in, not to mention the inevitable Nintendo franchises if you're into those. The e-shop is also looking very positive with titles like Little Inferno (World of Goo creators) and Trine Director's Cut.

The best thing you can do is research a little bit and see what appeals to you.

#13 Edited by TheSlothKing (330 posts) -

If you already have a good PC and a PS3 then get the WiiU.

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@elandir said:

Hello to you all, this is my first thread and post here. Nice to meet you =)

I'm here to ask, as a PS3 owner, your opinion about that: should i wait for Wii U to get "mature" and buy a Xbox 360 or a Xbox 360 is not worth anymore, since i already have a PS3 and this console cycle is almost in the end ?

I'm bored with my PS3 right now. Been reading about the better online enviroment Xbox provides, also very excited to see what devs can make of Wii U new controller.

I don't think they really compare. If you need something now I would probably get a Wii-U unless the Xbox exclusives that have already been released look really good to you. I would personally wait for the next Xbox system that will likely come next year. You could also go down the PC route and have a more stable market.

#15 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@TheSlothKing said:

If you already have a good PC and a PS3 then get the WiiU.

Gonna have to agree with this.^

Even if you're bored with your PS3, the only reason I can think of for getting a 360 as well is if its exclusives REALLY interest you.

#16 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

It depends on if you have any interest in the 360's exclusives, and if you've played any of the older ones as well as the newer ones. If you have no interest in any of them, get the Wii U. I like a lot of the 360's exclusives, so it was a worthwhile purchase for me as a PS3 owner.

#17 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

360's Live is not worth switching over for right now, it depends on the games that you want to play.

#18 Edited by elandir (10 posts) -

Maybe i'll wait for the Wii U release and see how it turns out next year, then i make my choice.

I'm afraid i'll be in too much redundancy with PC , PS3 and Xbox... and i have not that much interest in the Xbox exclusives. I do have some interest in Halo, specially the new one, Forza is always interesting as well, but not sure if the exclusives (the weakest of the Xbox imo) can solely justify the purchase.

Not a huuuuge fan of Nintendos franchises as well, but i'm fond of them. My first console was a SNES, i was 5 at the time. My dearest is the PS One though.

Ooooh another factor, i'm not from the US, i'm Brasilian. That said, here the new consoles takes a while to arrive, also the price is steep (they don't get that better over time, anyway). So a Xbox is more expensive than you might think and a wii u will be much more !

Games are in a better picture because i can import stuff from different locations, not a big issue.

Another thing to focus on, the online component of Wii U. Does anyone have a clue how it'll be like ?

#19 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@elandir: Then get a Wii U. There is too much cross over on a 360, and if you have no interest in Halo or Gears there is nothing new for you there.

#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Get a Wii U. The 360 doesn't have a solid exclusive line up at all. It is pretty much Alan Wake and Trials. Everything else has a similar title on PS3. Wii U seems the way to go, unless you really want a Kinect. Despite how some make fun of it, the voice commands for the dashboard and Netflix are really neat. What isn't neat is having to pay for online and the ability to use netflix. Go with the Wii U. 

#21 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

As a PC gamer... I don't know how you console peasants live with your boxes!

But in regard to your question:

How can anyone officially tell you what is going to happen with the Wii U? I mean I can tell you I want it to be a great success because I have fond feelings for Nintendo. But I honestly think it is going to be rough. It is going up against two solid last generation consoles with hardware that seems decent, but are any developers actually going to develop for the Wii U or are they going to develop for the main 2 consoles and then just port over to the Wii U?

The Wii U would have to sell a lot for third parties to start developing hardcore for it without it being all 360 ports. By that time I would guess the Next Xbox and PS would be out or close to coming. I just don't have a great feeling about the Wii U... I don't know if the tablet controller is enough of a gimmick like the wii motes were to attract people into buying it even if it has the potential to be a great developer platform this time. I certainly won't be buying it until it has proven itself.

So my answer is ... I don't fucking know... do you like halo!?!? Than buy a fucking Xbox. Do you like Mario? Buy a fucking Wii U. The rest of the new games will probably end up on both eventually even if they are ports.

#22 Posted by byterunner (300 posts) -

Honestly, if you are wanting to future proof yourself, I'd go with a Wii-U. Whether or not the launch line up is super engaging to you, I would prefer just knowing that a year from now, people will still be making games for it.

The 360 never had a strong exclusive line up, so most of the great games are probably on the PS3, and those that aren't, you can probably wait for in the next few years when the 360 is dirt cheap.

#23 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

If you don't have a Wii then get a Wii U.

#24 Posted by elandir (10 posts) -

@DG991 said:

As a PC gamer... I don't know how you console peasants live with your boxes!

But in regard to your question:

How can anyone officially tell you what is going to happen with the Wii U? I mean I can tell you I want it to be a great success because I have fond feelings for Nintendo. But I honestly think it is going to be rough. It is going up against two solid last generation consoles with hardware that seems decent, but are any developers actually going to develop for the Wii U or are they going to develop for the main 2 consoles and then just port over to the Wii U?

The Wii U would have to sell a lot for third parties to start developing hardcore for it without it being all 360 ports. By that time I would guess the Next Xbox and PS would be out or close to coming. I just don't have a great feeling about the Wii U... I don't know if the tablet controller is enough of a gimmick like the wii motes were to attract people into buying it even if it has the potential to be a great developer platform this time. I certainly won't be buying it until it has proven itself.

So my answer is ... I don't fucking know... do you like halo!?!? Than buy a fucking Xbox. Do you like Mario? Buy a fucking Wii U. The rest of the new games will probably end up on both eventually even if they are ports.

Officially no one can, thats why i'm suggesting discussion about it. Facts are facts no need to discuss. Wii U is still a mistery so there are theorycrafts to be made.

I agree, wii u might fall in the same hole as Wii did. No support because of the older tech, but i don't know if PS4 and next XBOX will have THAT gap techwise, you know why ? Production cost, games are already fucking expensive to make, with better graphics and better tech devs are pushed to do better than before, if the gap is THAT big, like PS2 to PS3, the cost will go even higher. IMO this new generation will be prettier and thats it. No changes in resolution, no big changes in mechanics or anything else. Graphics will be the major difference, but not that major. The push will be for the social aspect of things and media integration. (microsoft is already getting strong in those matters).

Soooo, maybe the Wii U will not be forgotten that quick, thats a big maybe. But hey, my main plataforms has been PS and PC for quite some time and i dont see it changing soon (i'll always have a gaming PC, until a console mmo interest me and shooters/RTS get at the same level on consoles). Wii U would be a sidekick for a different gameplay and gimmicks. That would be the reason to buy it i guess.

i'm pretty much decided not to get the Xbox 360, at least not until Wii U releases and we can measure how it'll behave through time.

#25 Edited by cannonballBAM (590 posts) -

@MB said:

If you've never owned an Xbox 360, it's a great time to get one. There are a lot of good exclusives that you probably didn't get to play and many of them can be found for pretty cheap.

Please educate me on this one. Almost all of the reasons I bought an XBOX have jumped to Steam with better ports.

• Alan Wake/Alan Wake American Nightmare
  • Trenched
  • Fable
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Castle Crashers
  • Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut (PS3 only now!)
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

And I don't care for Gears of War or Halo.

Although:

• Dead Rising/Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
  • Lost Odyssey
  • The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai/Vampire Smile
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
#26 Posted by MB (11973 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: The topic creator's question was Xbox 360 or Wii U...he didn't say anything about PC being one of the choices. While I agree with you for the most part as I split most of my gaming time evenly between PC and 360 (more PC these days) let's try to help by sticking to his actual question and not getting sidetracked too far off topic.

#27 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3172 posts) -

The 360 has XBLA, but I would say go for a Wii U DX. 

#28 Posted by cannonballBAM (590 posts) -

@MB: Valid response. I agree.

I would say a Wii U since having played the demo of Rayman Legends recently and never having a similar experience on the XB360. It is in the beginning of its life cycle and there is a lot of promise with development studios like Platinum Games making exclusives for them. I would have to imagine Shinji Mikami's new survival horror "Zwei" is going to be interesting utilizing the touch screen if it were to be released on the platform. Pure speculation though.

#29 Posted by yoshisaur (2641 posts) -

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with waiting for a Wii U. The Xbox 360 cycle is nearly done, and Microsoft isn't like Sony when it comes to supporting their back-hardware. The WiiU is launching like any other system, and will just offer you more of your moneys worth down the road.

#30 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

I would get a Wii U as the Xbox 360 doesn't have enough exclusives to differentiate it from the PS3 or even the PC you have.