Xbox always-online, blocks used games hinted by Eidos

• 113 results
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

http://www.mcvindia.com/news/read/ian-livingstone-talks-next-gen-hints-at-always-on-used-game-blocking-xbox/0111409

On the possibility of boxed retail being abandoned in favour of digital distribution, Livingstone told MCV, “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them. Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

That's craaaaazy if it is and gives the PS4 a huge advantage. Especially in countries outside America where they might not be able to have always-on internet or new games are too expensive to always buy.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Doesn't bother me. Buy games new and a few weeks after they're out. Amazon normally has them at half off or more by then.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

here we fucking go again

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I'm not a huge fan of always online for the oft-stated reasons, but no used games could be beneficial if it's backed up by crazy sales like Steam.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

just a huge advantage? this would give the PS4 the win

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

@starfoxa: Always online hasn't been a problem for me ever. Most games I play that require online, I only play because they are online. If I need internet that bad, I just tether my Nexus 4 to whatever device needs internet and done.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will be very interested to see how they will present this if this does actually turn out to be the truth. I can't imagine it will be something they mention at any press conferences so it will be interesting to see how they slip it out.

Also it will just make them look so bad if the PS4 doesn't follow suit.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well good thing I always have the internet. Always online has not and will never bother me personally.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@leebmx said:

Sony has straight up said "The PS4 will play used games."

I rent a lot of games and I'm a fan of selling some games that I buy, so if this is true I don't think I could ever get myself to buy a Durango.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By McGhee

It's not time for this yet. They are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Also consider that this will piss off Gamestop and they might start giving heavy preferential treatment to Sony.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this isn't true.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaMisterChief

With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another.So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

Read before hand, this is a WHAT IF scenario and if its true who cares, why does anyone have to worry about the baby corporations with no money.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alternate

I suspect he is just commenting on the rumours. MS don't share stuff like that with even big publishers ahead of time and it isn''t something dev units would hint at. All that would be system level/disc manufacturing level.

I remember an interview with EA back when ms introduced XBG4 and he didn't even seem to know what the update waves were.

I think MS and maybe Sony wanted to lock down used games but if Sony have ruled it out then MS will kill it. They don't want people to see Sony as a more open platform as it would kill them before launch.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hunkulese

@metal_mills said:

http://www.mcvindia.com/news/read/ian-livingstone-talks-next-gen-hints-at-always-on-used-game-blocking-xbox/0111409

On the possibility of boxed retail being abandoned in favour of digital distribution, Livingstone told MCV, “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them. Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

That's craaaaazy if it is and gives the PS4 a huge advantage. Especially in countries outside America where they might not be able to have always-on internet or new games are too expensive to always buy.

Countries outside America?

The United States is one of the least connected civilized countries.

No used games also allows more flexibility with the cost of new games that aren't brand new anymore. The PC is doing fine and you've never been able to buy used games.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx said:

Sony has straight up said "The PS4 will play used games."

I thought they gave a slightly ambiguous answer about that but I may well be wrong. If not - it will make them look bad and I find it hard to believe they would do it. Unless they are that clever that they have worked out that even with hordes of screaming nerds waving pitchforks they will still make lots of extra money - that or they have some Steam-like sales planned which they are going to show off before launch.

However I still refuse to believe that they would say 'if you don't have internet you can't play games' that would be so stupid, maybe the watermark thing works offline?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

@mcghee said:

Also consider that this will piss off Gamestop and they might start giving heavy preferential treatment to Sony.

It won't make a difference. COD sales are new copies in the millions. The majority of gamers buy games new be it online, digital, or somewhere else.

YOLOSWAG420JOINT69er will buy it at launch new. He won't give a fuck about restrictions because they don't apply to the average gamer. They're always online, buy new copies, and keep buying DLC.

YOLOSWAG420JOINT69er is the majority gamer. Not you.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: His words were it was up to publishers.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@kaosangel said:

@mcghee said:

It won't make a difference. COD sales are new copies in the millions. The majority of gamers buy games new be it online, digital, or somewhere else.

YOLOSWAG420JOINT69er will buy it at launch new. He won't give a fuck about restrictions because they don't apply to the average gamer. They're always online, buy new copies, and keep buying DLC.

Preferential treatment could mean DLC deals, promotion/advertising, store space and such, right?

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thebatmobile

craaaazy if it is and gives the PS4 a huge advantage. Especially in countries outside America where they might not be able to have always-on internet or new games are too expensive to always buy.

You're kidding right?

EDIT: If it's unclear, I'm referring to the close-mindedness of americans.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaosangel said:

@mcghee said:

Preferential treatment could mean DLC deals, promotion/advertising, store space and such, right?

This is what I'm talking about.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

Used games are a huge part of Gamestop's and many other stores (CEX in the UK for example) business. They would struggle to stay open if they had to stop selling used games.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

I thought they gave a slightly ambiguous answer about that but I may well be wrong. If not - it will make them look bad and I find it hard to believe they would do it.

Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

Reading the article, I think the headline is much more definitive than anything in the text. The way the conversation is presented makes it sound uncertain to say the least, especially as Yoshida had to go and speak to his PR guy before giving an answer. I wouldn't call it a 100% definitive.

Still I don't expect it to happen, but you can see why I thought they were being a little ambiguous, right?

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

I will be very interested to see how they will present this if this does actually turn out to be the truth. I can't imagine it will be something they mention at any press conferences so it will be interesting to see how they slip it out

Or they will simply try to spin it as a bonus by saying something like "now you are always connected to what your friends are doing."

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FFFFFFF

My internet will just randomly drop and reconnect a couple of times a day a least. A lot of times when I play Dark souls online, I can get randomly dropped out of the game at the worst times. If Dark souls didn't have an offline mode, some days I just wouldn't be able to play it without constant internet frustrations. Stuff like that is my idea of always online and why I don't like it.

And if they actually go through with discs that can't be re-sold, I would never buy the console. Video games don't deserve to be able to say that the second hand market doesn't apply to them, but I guess the market will decide.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

craaaazy if it is and gives the PS4 a huge advantage. Especially in countries outside America where they might not be able to have always-on internet or new games are too expensive to always buy.

You're kidding right?

I still don't get what you mean. And I'm not American, I'm Australian. There are plenty of countries that have shoddy internet, data caps, or it's just plain expensive. Being able to steam HD content everyday and download huge games isn't something many places can do as easily as the US.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@thebatmobile said:

You're kidding right?

I still don't get what you mean. And I'm not American, I'm Australian. There are plenty of countries that have shoddy internet, data caps, or it's just plain expensive. Being able to steam HD content everyday and download huge games isn't something many places can do as easily as the US.

honestly, not really? Pretty much the entirety of Europe has way better speeds/caps than Americans do.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@starfoxa: Always online hasn't been a problem for me ever. Most games I play that require online, I only play because they are online. If I need internet that bad, I just tether my Nexus 4 to whatever device needs internet and done.

I just don't like seeing the trend move from multiplayer to single player. Regardless of the fact that I probably will always have internet, it just feels dirty that the product I purchased is artificially limited.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I wonder if people had a similar reaction to this rumor compared to when whatever news about Xbox Live Gold being a paid service came around; the only platform that required users to pay to play online multiplayer. Maybe they're going to attempt to do the same with the Durango as being the only platform that won't support used games?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ares42

Ehm, let me get this straight. There's a rumor about the new consoles, someone talks about that rumor, rumor is now confirmed ?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can live without used-games, I rarely buy those, but requiring you to always be online would ensure I never buy the console, ever.

But I can't see these rumours being true, even Microsoft can't possibly think this would be a good idea. It's most likely just speculation over their recent copyrights. Sony have been copyrighting a lot of technology that will stop used games as well and they've already outright said the PS4 won't employ any of them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

Ehm, let me get this straight. There's a rumor about the new consoles, someone talks about that rumor, rumor is now confirmed ?

This is in no way a confirmation. Notice that the thread title has "hinted" in it. However, the same source that stated that the Durango would not allow used games was also the source of many PS4 rumors such as GDDR5 that came true.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fazzle

Always connected would kill me with the next gen XBox. I travel for my job and like to bring my 360 with me, but many times the hotels I stay at have either no wifi or awkwardly implented passwords on their wifi that don't play well with the 360, and I wind up playing my 360 offline for months at a time.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daveyo520
@leebmx said:

They still need somewhere to sell boxed games though. These chains would vanish without used. I still don't think they are in the business of kicking their partners right in the balls.

Walmart and Amazon, problem solved. Game publishers hate Gamestop and used games and they really really want them to die and go out of business. They can not make money on used games, only the first sell. So anyway they can force used games to die would be a big plus and better than losing Gamestop to sell a few things for them.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kinapuff

It wouldn't bother me as I'm always connected and always buy games new, but I can see this swinging in Sonys favour by a whole lot.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@metal_mills said:

@thebatmobile said:

You're kidding right?

honestly, not really? Pretty much the entirety of Europe has way better speeds/caps than Americans do.

Lol, only Europe and America are real.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would never buy an always on console purely because my Internet connection and me don't always get along. And as for the blocking used games bit I accept that with PC games because they don't cost as much as console games. I've got the new Tomb Raider pre-ordered for £20 on the PC, while most places are selling the console version for £35-£40. If they lowered the price of console games and blocked used copies I wouldn't mind but at the current price locking games to an account/console is not something I'm going to be associated with or support.

I don't think that it will happen. That quote does say "supposedly" so until Microsoft confirm it I'm going to assume they wont do that. If they did it would make choosing my next console a lot easier mind you.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If true, FUCK DAT SHIT!

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He said "supposedly". His sources may as-well be a rumor on Reddit.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@leebmx said:

Sony has straight up said "The PS4 will play used games, if the publisher allows it."

I'm pretty sure that ^ is more along the lines of what they said.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I be good with it.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@metal_mills said:

@thebatmobile said:

You're kidding right?

I live in a village in Romania and I have 40 mbps. There's people in the cities that have 80 mbps easily. Not shitting you.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I will believe any of this is when they hit the shelves. That goes for either side.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Doesn't it benefit the publishers more than the console makers to stop used games sales? What would stop Square Enix or Activision or EA from implementing the same restrictions on PS3 games?

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jams said:

here we fucking go again

I really hate all of the bullshit speculation that crops up prior to a console announcement.