Posted by _Mattallica (152 posts) -

We are just mere days away from the first major new home console from either Sony or Microsoft in over seven years. The PlayStation 4 arrives this Friday in the US (2 weeks later in Europe) and the Xbox One launches the following week. The potential of what these consoles will go on to achieve is huge and over the years will grow and have their own identities. Of course they both offer a range of services outside of gaming but the main reason for buying these consoles is the games.

So what games are there? Launch titles are becoming notorious for the wrong reasons recently. Long gone are the days that a console ships with a game like Super Mario 64 which is then arguably one of the best games of the console’s lifetime. As the years go on developers get more familiar with the hardware and usually the games get better, for the most part. That being said, let’s check out what games will be available for both consoles at launch and what you should be playing, starting with the PlayStation 4.

There are two big console exclusives available on PS4 day one. The first is Knack, a family friendly mascot platformer that looks to be Crash Bandicoot for a new generation. It looks to bridge the gap between old school platform games but also add new ideas to the genre in the form of how the character changes shape and takes different forms. Obviously targeted at a more younger audience it is hard to say right now how much content is hidden away which core gamers can really get stuck into.

Having the title of the first ever PS4 game shown off, I hope Knack is a fun, memorable title and not just fitting the quota of ‘generic family launch game’. Only time will tell. The other exclusive available at launch is the core gamer’s offering in the form of Killzone: Shadow Fall. Killzone has tried to be for PlayStation what Halo is to Xbox over the years and never managed to fully achieve that goal. With no other next gen exclusive shooters coming to either console (more on that later) it could fill a hole in the market for players wanting to scratch the itch if they have grown tired of Call of Duty/Battlefield that has dominated the genre on current gen.

It is a shame DriveClub got delayed as the exclusive PS4 games at launch looks extremely bare at this point. Other than the two I mentioned this is a bunch of downloadable exclusives you can play at launch also. Resogun is a side scrolling shoot em up by the folks who made Super Stardust HD that hopes to be game that will have you chasing high scores to beat your friends for hours on end and will be free for PS+ members. Also free will be Contrast, a puzzle/platform game with an intriguing art style. Next gen versions of DC Universe Online,Flower, and Minecraft will also be present but overall the lineup is looking very scarce. Before we get into the games coming to both new consoles let’s examine the exclusives for the Xbox One.

Compared to the PS4’s two exclusives, the Xbox One is arriving with an impressive six games ready to go at launch that you won’t find on Sony’s console. The first three probably aren't anything to get too excited about as they are Zumba Fitness: World Party (also on 360 & Wii U), Zoo Tycoon (also on 360) and Fighter Within. The latter being a Kinect based fighting game with almost no details available so I would say it’s not one to look forward to. However the first of the three games you should be aware of is Ryse: Son of Rome.

Originally a 360 Kinect game but now a fully controller based Xbox One game by Crytek, Ryse could go either way. The game looks gorgeous and has a very interesting setting and could be a hugely entertaining game to just unwind and have a blast in. However, the early showings of the game weren't great as the gameplay looked to be QTE heavy (something which has been dismissed since but still remains unclear) and people that have got to play the game recently at events haven't had amazing things to say about it.

Next is the game I’m personally most interested in on either console, Dead Rising 3. Looking to try and walk the line between the ridiculous open ended gameplay that has always been a hallmark of the series but also trying to exist within a more serious tone, much like Ryse, this could easily go both ways. I think at worst you will still have a lot of fun messing around in the open world but if they pull it off we could have the definitive zombie game in our hands.

Finally is one of Microsoft’s biggest properties outside of their shooters, Forza Motorsport 5. If you’re a racing fan then you are most likely already a fan of these games and this looks to carry on the high standards of the series into the next generation. Racing titles along with shooters is the best genre to show off new hardware and running at 1080P with 60 FPS, the game just looks stunning.

On the digital side is a few nice looking titles including Crimson Dragon, an on rails shooter and a successor of sorts to Panzer Dragoon, Killer Instinct, the return of the famous fighting game and LocoCycle, a racing/fighting hybrid from the team that brought us ‘Spolsion Man. Shortly after release will see Peggle 2 and Project Spark, Microsoft’s take on LittleBigPlanet that looks like it could be rather intriguing to say the least. The absence of no exclusive shooter is a strange one but it seems that Microsoft are just counting on the entire COD crowd coming over to their console which probably isn't the worst assumption to make.

Games coming to both consoles include next gen versions of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, NBA Live 14, Need for Speed: Rivals, Just Dance 2014, Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Skylanders: Swap Force. These games really help fill the lineup nicely as they will all presumably be superior versions of the game and help to cover how little the support for exclusives is right now.

Overall it is pretty clear the lineups for both consoles is rather weak. The delays to Watch Dogs and DriveClub didn't help things, but this is pretty much to be expected. We know the big games are coming (Titanfall and Infamous: Second Son to name a few) and it makes sense for Sony and Microsoft to keep the bigger titles for down the line. The early adopters will buy the consoles no matter what and then when the dust is settled we will see what Naughty Dog, 343 Industries and countless other studios are working on for the new consoles. Until then there is still some interesting stuff to play, more on Xbox One currently in my opinion, and enough cross platform games to keep you busy until these consoles really start to build up momentum.

#1 Posted by Marcsman (2876 posts) -

I'm getting a PS4 tomorrow. Not too excited about the line up. But Hell I remember the PSOne line up ( it sucked ) PS2 (Tekken Tag Tournament was great the rest sucked) The PS3 (Resistance all else was futile)

So I really don't give a shit. The games will come, they always do. Plus I still have The Last of Us, GTA V and Diablo III on my PS3. So it's all good.

#2 Posted by AMyggen (1998 posts) -

Both lineups suck.

#3 Edited by Marcsman (2876 posts) -

They are both stellar compared to the Sega Saturn. Ha ha ha

#4 Posted by KirkyX (115 posts) -

I'm excited about Forza, but kind of bummed about how dramatically they've cut back on cars and courses for the initial release. My favourite 'ordinary' - that is to say, they make cars that a lot of people, including myself, can actually afford - marque, Peugeot, have always been somewhat under-represented in the Forza franchise, and this year they've taken out the 205 S16. All that's left is the god-awful 307 RC. I don't really have the money to shell out for all the DLC packs to make up the difference. Maybe I'd be better off waiting for the next one...

Anyway, the only other launch exclusive I'm genuinely excited about is Dead Rising. The rest don't really do much for me. And I'll probably continue to play most multiplatform titles on the PC--I'm really looking forward to Assassin's Creed and NFS: Rivals.

Ah well, I won't be getting either of the consoles until Christmas at the earliest, anyway.

#5 Posted by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -

The Xbox One launch lineup is stronger than Knack and Killzone and Resogun. But unfortunately I live on a nuclear submarine and I should just buy a 360. I will probably just "deal with it" and sit on my peasant opinion because I'm holding the industry back for Microsoft. Maybe one day I can become a better person and finally decide that I don't care about a camera following me around my living room. No matter the terms I need to sign to use it.

#6 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

Your

giant images make it

really hard to read

what you're writing.

#7 Edited by Marokai (2637 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Both lineups suck.

Yeah, I feel like each lineup has the traditional three prongs of a console launch lineup in terms of it's most notable games: One game that is totally competent and looks like people will enjoy it just fine, but isn't mind blowing. (Killzone: Shadow Fall, Dead Rising 3) One game that is genuinely good and impressive that people unconditionally recommend. (Resogun, Forza 5) And one stinker that will probably underwhelm and not review that well at all (but will probably have a weird cult following two years from now). (Knack, Ryse)

There's nothing particularly impressive about either launch lineup, and there usually isn't. Multiplats will perform better on them, and there are exclusive games that are totally competent, but there's really no reason to wave around one launch lineup over the other. More impressive games will hit in the Spring that will change the conversation, (Driveclub actually looks visually impressive, Infamous will sell great, Titanfall will have a huge marketing machine) but even so the offerings are always short for the first ten months.

#8 Posted by flippyandnod (344 posts) -

Both lineups aren't very good. Which is normal for a launch. It's unusual to have more than 1 good game at launch.

I think after all the cancellations, the Xbox One has a better launch lineup.

I am buying a PS4 at launch, not an Xbox One. I'll just have to make do.

#9 Edited by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

These are launch games. You should always suspect anything prepared by them as pure marketing but even more so in launches. Suggesting you can judge the quality of the game from a screen shot for a launch game is really questionable.

#10 Posted by Pezen (1469 posts) -

I don't really get why everyone is so down on the launch lineup. My confusion is a double edged sword, someone help me understand.

If everyone is expecting "launch games" to be shitty, shouldn't most things on the list be deemed somewhat acceptable? By the definition of shitty, I think most of those games look competent enough to be at least above shitty. So, if you're expecting them to be bad, any good title that comes out must make you jump of joy to be proven wrong, right?

And if you're not expecting them to be mediocre, where have to been the last century?

Maybe it's just me, but I also don't tend to look so narrowly on the next-gen exclusives. Next gen versions of games that are also on current gen is an equally viable option. It's just your own choice how you want to do it. I find it hard to swallow the idea that there are no games to play and yet there seems to be quite a handful on both consoles. You just have to skip some of them on current gen hardware.

I don't know, I can't bring myself to be overly negative about launch games.

#11 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

I'm definitely getting a PS4 and not an XB1 but none of the Sony-exclusive launch titles really grab my interest immediately. Knack looks like it could be cool but I think Microsoft has them with Dead Rising and Forza. I mean it's fucking Forza.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6938 posts) -

None of the (retail at least) exclusives on either console interest me but the multiplatform games look better on PS4 so I'm fine with my purchase. AC4, BF4, Resogun and Warframe will keep me busy for a while. Ryse looks boring as hell, I played Dead Rising 2 too recently to want to play Dead Rising 3, I've never enjoyed simulation racing and Killer Instinct doesn't look very good to me at all. The first game the Xbox One has that I want to play will be Titanfall.

#13 Posted by Nomin (920 posts) -

Xbone has better launch lineup but it isn't saying much. With the dearth of games, Xbone's other features will come to bear in contrast, for better or worse.

#14 Posted by Ronin147 (76 posts) -

Something besides a FPS or Sports game would be nice. What sucks it that after launch there is nothing for months.

#15 Posted by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -

@pezen said:

I don't really get why everyone is so down on the launch lineup. My confusion is a double edged sword, someone help me understand.

If everyone is expecting "launch games" to be shitty, shouldn't most things on the list be deemed somewhat acceptable? By the definition of shitty, I think most of those games look competent enough to be at least above shitty. So, if you're expecting them to be bad, any good title that comes out must make you jump of joy to be proven wrong, right?

And if you're not expecting them to be mediocre, where have to been the last century?

Maybe it's just me, but I also don't tend to look so narrowly on the next-gen exclusives. Next gen versions of games that are also on current gen is an equally viable option. It's just your own choice how you want to do it. I find it hard to swallow the idea that there are no games to play and yet there seems to be quite a handful on both consoles. You just have to skip some of them on current gen hardware.

I don't know, I can't bring myself to be overly negative about launch games.

PS4's lineup is pretty barren and most of it is available on other consoles. I don't think anything looks downright bad but there just isn't much there.

Xbox One has Forza and Dead Rising and Killer Instinct which all look good and offer a pretty diverse variety of games to choose from. Forza is the only thing that looks really stellar out of everything (even with the horrendously named 'drivatar' buzzwordzzz). Still nothing close to making me want to buy a Bone.

I'm fine with mediocre too. I am just along for the ride. I understand that time moves forward and eventually there will be plenty of games that I'll enjoy.

#16 Edited by phantomzxro (1532 posts) -

They are ok for having games to play on the system but are most likely lacking on convincing someone to upgrade if they don't feel the need to right now, given the jump to next gen is not a big jump.

#17 Posted by SteadyingMeat (636 posts) -

I really wish Knack turned out better. Overall, they're both kinda weak. Dead Rising 3 is the only one I really wanna play, but I'm getting a PS4. :(

#18 Posted by davidwitten22 (1703 posts) -

Reviews are pointing at the exclusive PS4 games being pretty mediocre, hoping the same doesn't happen for the XBOX One (not because I like either console or anything, I just find it odd to root for games to be bad).

#20 Posted by Cameron (594 posts) -

Forza alone should be better than anything on the PS4 at launch. I say should, because of course they could screw it up, but with Killzone and Knack turning out to be mediocre, I think the Xbox has an advantage. The only way I could see the PS4 launch titles looking better is if you hate racing games and absolutely love really good looking, but otherwise average at best, shooters.

I'm still going to keep my pre-orders for both, probably because I'm a sucker, but I imagine I will be playing more Xbox over the next few months.

#21 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

XB1 has a really good line up, but I have zero faith it their ability to keep it up. They basically left the 360 to flounder for the last year in order to put together what they did, Sony on the other hand blew their load on the PS3 and doesn't have too much to launch the ps4 with, but the games will come just like they always do, Sony has been killer with their first party games ever since day one PS1.

#22 Edited by McLargepants (333 posts) -

You forgot Resogun on PS4, while it's free (sort of) and much smaller than the other titles, it seems to be incredibly well received. But you're right, the X1 launch is definitely stronger, and Titanfall is coming. But Sony has Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Santa Monica. I'm not concerned about the future at all.

#23 Posted by _Mattallica (152 posts) -

Anyone that has a PS4 already, feel free to post your thoughts on the games you've played already. Particularly interested in Knack and the next gen versions of Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV.

#24 Posted by bigjeffrey (4163 posts) -

fucking psyched for xbox one launch.

#25 Posted by TheHT (10287 posts) -

Between both lineups, Dead Rising looks like a better time.

#26 Posted by Zekhariah (694 posts) -

@_mattallica: Blackflag seems to be the best Assassin's Creed. Graphically it looks nice (though the hair on characters is a bit of a life-less exception, needs TressFX). Gameplay wise, the quicklook probably gave the best overview of why this is oriented toward fun more than anything else.

On the Xbox side, I dislike the Dead Rising franchise and simulation racers enough that Xbox One is at a null level of appeal - though I realize the opposite applies to many people. It seems like both have a lot of the games people will want to play in the intermediate period though. "Just launch games" makes for a pithy headline, but the franchises that are available have sales figures that would imply that they are among the most appealing titles to be brought over. Anyway - for Wii U it might have been appropriate, but if someone happens to say.... care about graphics in their visual entertainment medium... there is a fair amount on offer.

#27 Posted by mems1224 (135 posts) -

X1 seems to have the best lineup not only at launch but over the next year.

#28 Edited by Marokai (2637 posts) -

@mems1224: Aside from Halo 5 and Titanfall, there's absolutely no idea of the X1 lineup next year, and only Titanfall has a release date. Honestly, beyond March, there really aren't any hard details for either of the next systems. Driveclub is first-quarter, Infamous is March, and beyond them, we know nothing. No console really has the edge at all when it comes to first party games, honestly.

Edit: Deep Down is also coming sometime early next year as a Ps4 exclusive.

#29 Edited by l4wd0g (1819 posts) -

As for exclusives, the Xbox One has more day one unique games. The more I see of Ryse the more I am intrigued. I loved the Forza games.

I've been playing Shadow Fall. It's pretty by console standards but I'm not blown away. I want all of the characters to die. They are all awful people.

I see people playing and talking about Knack and it makes me sad.

Resogun is fun but if you aren't a high score or trophy chaser the game is over far too quickly.

BF4 is my game. I have it on PS4 and PC but I can't connect to multiplayer on the PS4.

Need for Speed Rivals is pretty damn awesome.

In general I feel like if you buy a PS4 you're better of with third party games (with the exception of Resogun),

#30 Posted by bigjeffrey (4163 posts) -

@mems1224 said:

for me personally it looks great, but ps4 also has a nice line up infamous, driveclub, deep down, guilty gear, a ton of indie games too.

For xbx next year

• Halo
  • Titanfall
  • Quantum Break
  • Below
  • D4
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Fable Legends
  • Fantasia
#31 Posted by mems1224 (135 posts) -

@mems1224 said:

for me personally it looks great, but ps4 also has a nice line up infamous, driveclub, deep down, guilty gear, a ton of indie games too.

For xbx next year

• Halo
  • Titanfall
  • Quantum Break
  • Below
  • D4
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Fable Legends
  • Fantasia

I need to see more of Infamous. I was really let down by Infamous 2. The new one looks gorgeous but all the characters they've shown so far are really unlikable and the gameplay I've seen hasn't looked bad but it also wasn't that impressive. Honestly, the game I want a PS4 for at this point is Planetside 2

#32 Posted by bigjeffrey (4163 posts) -
#33 Posted by mems1224 (135 posts) -

@mems1224: What? a PC game.

Its great on PC. I really would rather play it with a controller and with friends though.

#34 Posted by kishinfoulux (2078 posts) -

I think the XB1 lineup shits on the PS4 lineup and it's not even close.

#35 Posted by biospank (641 posts) -

The xbox one seems to have the better lineup of games, obviously its from knowing their market research that they have this kind of lineup of games and extra content.

#36 Edited by Emoney244 (151 posts) -

Killzone is pretty solid so far. Knack looks kinda bad judging from Giant Bomb's QL. Ryse looks super meh. Dead Rising 3 looks pretty fantastic. Forza 5, I don't like racing games. The ports on both are pretty good. So I'd say they both are equal in my eyes.