• 63 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5706 posts) -

The rumor also claims a $500 standard and $300 subscription model, as well as a November release.

During the latest 'What The Tech' podcast, well-known technology blogger Paul Thurrott shared a bit of rumored details regarding the Xbox 360 successor.

#2 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Oh my...that was bad...

I know it is opinions and all, but can we not agree that Always Online DRM is just plain retarded.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Every new rumor seems to be making the Durango even more unappealing to many. It will be interesting to see how they finally unveil it.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It will be interesting to see how they finally unveil it.

Probably like this.

#5 Edited by BeachThunder (12095 posts) -

Can't wait; I'm really interested to see how this pans out :P

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

I just started listening.. Stupid small talk. But that price sounds alright?. I haven't heard about the DRM part yet, though.

#7 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

Every new rumor seems to be making the Durango even more unappealing to many. It will be interesting to see how they finally unveil it.

I agree completely. Microsoft really needs to step up their game, and put a stop to all this negativity surrounding a product that hasnt even been announced yet. Either the company has something magical with the Durango thats going to blow the publics mind away, or the have simply become too complacent with the success of the 360. It is going to be very interesting indeed.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
#9 Posted by expensiveham (293 posts) -

Same day as the new Daft Punk album!

#10 Posted by Andorski (5343 posts) -

Oh my...that was bad...

I know it is opinions and all, but can we not agree that Always Online DRM is just plain retarded.

It's all relative to what you expect from a service. I view paying for online multiplayer to be stupid (non-instanced to shit MMO games aside), but a ton of people still pay for XBL Gold.

#11 Edited by Winternet (8025 posts) -

May 21st? That's a bit too close to E3, no?

#12 Edited by Falconer (1695 posts) -

Thurrott usually gets pretty good info. However, literally everything that comes out of his mouth regarding video games and the video game industry is complete and utter nonsense. Because of that I'm disregarding this rumor.

#13 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@andorski: I have a feeling that those same people who pay for Gold membership would be okay with this DRM.

I feel that the word, MMO, is about to be abused to justify Always-Online.

#14 Edited by EXTomar (4848 posts) -

I do have this awful feeling they are going to try to make a "set top box" instead of a console. Set top boxes are a tricky market.

#15 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

@winternet said:

Xbox 360 unveiled on May 12, 2005 via MTV. E3 2005 started May 17, 2005.

So 5 days between announcement and E3.

Durango rumored unveil is May 21, 2013. E3 2013 starts on June 11, 2013.

So 21 days between announcement and E3.

I think the dates are right, so it wouldn't be that much closer to E3 compared to when they announced the 360.

#16 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I'm definitely interested in what they are going to show, these kinds of events are always exciting for me. I'm hoping they put an end to the never-offline DRM rumors and I really would like to see some backwards compatibility with 360 and Arcade games. Seriously XBLA is probably the only reason to even own an Xbox anymore, besides Xbox Live being a great service in general.

#17 Posted by casper_ (907 posts) -

i dont know about this guy....

#18 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

@winternet said:

Xbox 360 unveiled on May 12, 2005 via MTV. E3 2005 started May 17, 2005.

So 5 days between announcement and E3.

Durango rumored unveil is May 21, 2013. E3 2013 starts on June 11, 2013.

So 21 days between announcement and E3.

I think the dates are right, so it wouldn't be that much closer to E3 compared to when they announced the 360.

MATH!

#19 Edited by Nightriff (5156 posts) -

Just want to see what it is finally, I'm heavily leaning toward the PS4 already because I didn't like what Micro eventually did with the 360, but I still want to see if they have any magic up their sleeve...doubt it but I could be surprised

#20 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

The next Xbox will be called the CoD Box.

You heard it here first.

#21 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

I finished listening to the episode, and I just want to dip my face in mud.. I'm just waiting for them to realize the point of this freakout right now.. And Paul is just so indifferent about everything.. But I did learn that they had a Yuma project, a $100 set top box thing. And I guess that got canceled. We still need to figure out what all this internet connected stuff means, but Paul's show just pissed me off. Its like 90% that other guy, and 10% Paul Thurrott. -_-

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5820 posts) -

I wish they would just get it out of the way. The rumors are killing me.

#23 Edited by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

I think they have quite the battle ahead. PS4 features all sound amazing - if they decide to include always online, that single factor will be enough to put me off the device until they realise that no one will buy it because it's just a terrible idea. Sometimes I like to take my Xbox to my parents house and their internet is utter garbage. I simply cannot abide having always online for single player games. As of right now, definitely leaning towards PS4. But maybe Microsoft knows whats up? Here's to hoping.

#24 Edited by glacialhelmnun (52 posts) -

XBXOX is a much better name than durango.

Prounounced ex-bizzocks.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

Xbxox

#26 Edited by Aegon (5706 posts) -
@glacialhelmnun said:

Prounounced ex-bizzocks.

www.x.biz/ox

@ajamafalous said:

Xbxox

Come on guys, I'm innovatitng over here.

#27 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

I am looking forward to the seeing the GB crew offer their commentary of the event.

#28 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

I bet you guys a honeydew melon, that Sony's gonna shotgun blast Microsoft's DRM pitch come E3. A whole day before Microsoft's press conference.

I honestly wonder if they can go bigger than using MTV this time around for their announcement.

#29 Posted by Kazona (3087 posts) -

Ummm isn't there supposed to be some kind of MS event this month?

#31 Posted by MachoFantastico (4794 posts) -

The more I keep hearing about the next Microsoft console the more I'm baffled, they can't seriously consider having the always online feature for the final release right? They'll have to drop that, the world just isn't there yet to support always online requirements. To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pulled away from gaming with this new console, I'm sure it'll be a part of it's 'eco-system' (hate that word) but I doubt gaming will be the most important feature to Microsoft. Should be fascinating nonetheless.

Really hope Microsoft see the light, I already find myself less and less interested in Durango as the weeks go by. They can't take to long to announce it, especially with the praise Sony have been getting lately. Right now Sony doing what Microsoft did so well last time round.

#32 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

Prounounced ex-bizzocks.

Oh man, I'm on the bandwagon for an Exbizzocks, but when I first read that I thought we were dealing with a Zebecksox, which I don't mind telling you is downright out of the question!

#33 Posted by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

I've just had my Internet for my entire area go down over the last 24 hours, and I live in London (Richmond to be precise), I was already against getting the new Xbox because of the always online but now that I know that shot will inevitably just happen to the internets I will not be buying one if they do go through with always online. Also I basically play single player games apart from Gears Of War, which admittedly is probably my favourite game of this gen

#34 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

What about XXX? Triple-X Box, cause it's, you know, the third x-box.

#35 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

MS are getting as cocky as Sony did at the beginning of this generation and it's gonna hurt them badly.

#36 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -
#37 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

How much (if any amount) of internet backlash will cause MS to reverse course and drop the always online component? They seem to be making a play for a broader audience beyond the game enthusiast, most of the people that look at GB not included. There's probably a huge segment of people slightly beyond casual gamers that MS has to be studying. I really can't imagine they would make a move like this if they didn't have numbers reflecting percent of people always connected. I feel like there's needs to be some kind of preemptive education campaign to let people know why this would be bad

#38 Edited by Cirdain (3100 posts) -

Same day as the new Daft Punk album!

WOOT!!!!!

#39 Edited by AjayRaz (12441 posts) -

@fengshuigod said:

What about XXX? Triple-X Box, cause it's, you know, the third x-box.

is this also going to be a tie in with xXx 3?

#40 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Has sony said that the ps4 is not Alwas online? but I agree.

Ether this is a great ploy to get everyone super excited when they announce that it will not be always online, or they are pretty dumb.

#41 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -
#42 Posted by AjayRaz (12441 posts) -

@ajayraz: Nope, BMX XXX 2.

BMX XXX 2, only on the XXX sponsored by xXx: The Return of Xander Cage and the X Games

#43 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@wasabicurry said:

@andorski: I have a feeling that those same people who pay for Gold membership would be okay with this DRM.

I feel that the word, MMO, is about to be abused to justify Always-Online.

Arthur Gies was basically saying that on Twitter the other day. Going on about how people shouldn't worry about always-on because WoW is still up and running or whatever.

I don't know. I can't imagine that the service will always be running (especially when Microsoft wants you to move on to the next Xbox), but my main problem is that, as it currently exists, Always-Online offers me, as a consumer, absolutely no benefit.

@dagbiker: Yeah, they said it here.

#44 Edited by EXTomar (4848 posts) -

Blizzard provides a service that encompasses a lot of stuff that goes into WoW. Treyarch provides a service for Black Ops 2. I'm fine with people paying money to Treyarch to play Treyarch games. Suggesting Microsoft needs money as well is as stupid as saying people should be paying Treyarch to access Blizzard's games....even the ones that have no subscription!

#45 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic: If rumors serve to be trued, then the Nextbox will only tolerate three minutes of dropped internet connection before booting you out of the game. Rumors, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just wonder how the general population would take the Always-Online requirement. You know, people who are out of the loop in gaming news.

Sim City tried to justify its always online requirement by saying it is a "MMO." As a guy who plays a lot of MMOs; there is nothing that Sim City offers.

Massively Multiplayer Online - thats the definition.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@extomar said:

Blizzard provides a service that encompasses a lot of stuff that goes into WoW. Treyarch provides a service for Black Ops 2. I'm fine with people paying money to Treyarch to play Treyarch games. Suggesting Microsoft needs money as well is as stupid as saying people should be paying Treyarch to access Blizzard's games....even the ones that have no subscription!

Yo dawg, we heard you like subscriptions, so we put a subscription in a subscription so you can subscribe while you subscribe!

#47 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Considering the apparent xbox stance on indie, it does seem really odd how silent microsoft is playing up their release schedule. For a broader audience, it might not matter until a few months before release. But with the indie devs also indicating that microsoft is not providing support to allow them to have titles at launch..... I dunno.

The specs indicating +50% video performance on PS4 being a possibility are also interesting. There was some aside mentions of dedicated hardwar for more functions, but all of the leaked indicate that xbox will just be the slower one. Most of the people I know in real life plan on buying xbox regardless as a continuation of their current service, so I guess MS does not really have that much of a bar to pass in terms of compelling performance.

#48 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

MS does it again.

#49 Edited by Cirdain (3100 posts) -

Sim City Exclusive Console Version and Exclusive DLC!!! [joke]

#50 Posted by Nicked (257 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic: If rumors serve to be trued, then the Nextbox will only tolerate three minutes of dropped internet connection before booting you out of the game. Rumors, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just wonder how the general population would take the Always-Online requirement. You know, people who are out of the loop in gaming news.

Sim City tried to justify its always online requirement by saying it is a "MMO." As a guy who plays a lot of MMOs; there is nothing that Sim City offers.

Massively Multiplayer Online - thats the definition.

I don't know that the market will react meaningfully to "always online". My PC/Laptop/iPad are effectively always online. Moreover, this will probably get more people on Xbox Live subscriptions (though they'll probably still offer some features for free). I don't think that always online is a good thing, but I bet Microsoft could rationalize from a business perspective and that it wouldn't have a huge effect on sales since people in the market for a new high-end console probably have reliable enough internet.