User Lists: 0

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By uhtaree

Well, there are like three Gamestops in every town. There's even two by me where there is one in each strip mall that are caddy-corner to each other.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I got about 3 in a 2 mile radius of each other in my town. Not too surprised they're closing some down.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would have thought it'd be at least 1000 or more. 500 is only 10 per state, and I can think of a lot more than 10 within just this city alone.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

Well that sucks for the people who work at those stores. Although I'm sure some of them will get transferred to other stores.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrIntrovert

I am perfectly fine with buying my games on-line. Frankly, Gamestop has been going downhill ever since they stopped carrying retro games.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wampa1

Isn't this essentially the same issue GAME had here in the UK? Insane over saturation always leads to this happening.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

There are probably too many, but that's sad to think about for the people who get let go.

Also, over two regions of living, three of my five local GameStops are pretty all right, and one is absolutely goddamned awesome. So it's worked out okay for me so far.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@kishinfoulux

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-retailers-that-will-close-the-most-stores-173320796.html?page=2

Fuck Gamestop IMHO.

That would be a proper response except the only people this affects is the employees who are now jobless so...no.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Given the fact they have become as ubiquitous as Starbucks at this point, I'm not surprised.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

Sucks, but when you have 2 GameStops in the same mall you're really asking for it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

One of the local ones closed. They where great guys. The manager was a great guy. Never hassles me about pre orders and that stuff.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Andorski

I have four within a 5 mile radius. One in particular is stranded on a corner with a restaurant and a dry cleaner that gets zero foot traffic.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Damn yeah if there are that many where you guys are I guess this makes sense. I guess there was a boom but not sure why that kind of expansion was necessary.

In Massachusetts and it's not remotely that extreme. They are basically in malls, one to a mall, and there are a few solo ones around in your strip mall here or there.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

One of the local ones closed. They where great guys. The manager was a great guy. Never hassles me about pre orders and that stuff.

That's unheard of. I try to never go to a Gamestop but getting hassled is like clockwork. Hence why I try to never go.

If I'm buying full retail I try to support my local independent shop. No nonsense there.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

They recently closed one of the two in my town's mall. I hope they don't close the one near my house though, it feels the least greasy, and the employee's are pretty cool.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Sooperspy

Same with a lot of people in here, I have many Gamestops within a few mile radius. This makes a ton of sense.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PulledaBrad

Haha! My boycott worked!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

well that sucks for them. sucks for the people that might lose their jobs. there's three in town next to me. one in their own store and then two at the mall. i think one isn't called gamestop though.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmilingPig

If it’s true than it’s a shame for all those employees.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

Sucks for the employees, but I hear a lot of them a scumbags too so.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By mike

I always wondered how certain areas could support so many Gamestop stores. There are currently at least five just in San Francisco that I know of, and probably another 30 Gamestop stores within 20 minutes of here in different directions. Hell, I know of a mall south of here that has two stores inside the mall, one on the upper level and another on the ground floor. That is just insane for a company that owns all of their own stores, these aren't franchises.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog

There are 14 Gamestops within 10 miles of me, right now. They're as prevalent as McDonalds' -- well, not really, but there are almost 7,000 of them which is more than 140 per state in the lower 48. Since there's also Amazon.com, I don't really care. In fact, the fewer the better. The only time I stop at Gamestop is when I'm too impatient to wait 24-48hrs for delivery from Amazon . . . which hasn't happened in almost eight years.

@SmilingPig said:

Probably not that much of a shame. It's a low-skill and high-turnover job and there are plenty of those to go around. All they have to do is step outside of their store and look up and down the mall they're in to find two hundred other shops they could apply at. I don't think losing your job at Gamestop is one of those "now I'm going to be unemployed for six months while I field other options and negotiate a contract somewhere" kind of things.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

That's still only about 10% of their stores.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Fuck, I hope the one in my town doesn't close because its the only decent place to pick up any game within a half hour. Also not everyone who works for GameStop is a total douchebag, the store in my town actually has good employees who are pretty knowledgeable.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

There are literally 3 GameStops within a 3 mile stretch in my area.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Branthog

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

That's still only about 10% of their stores.

Not even that.It's about 7% of them. Closing a few of them isn't going to affect sales much as people will just drive an extra mile to get to one, if they absolutely can't use the internet like everyone else. There are at least 14 of them within ten miles of me. That is absolutely ridiculous for something like a game store.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Jrinswand

I haven't been to a GameStop since I quit working for them a couple of years ago. LOL.

thegreatpaulio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By thegreatpaulio

The article states that this is only a forecast.

"[They] analyzed the retailers’ store counts, recent financial data, online presences, prospects against direct competitors and precedents set by other large retailers that have downsized by shuttering locations. We then forecast how many stores each retailer will have to close this year to sharply increase its prospects financially, even if some of those location closings do not occur for several years. These forecasts were based on drops in same-store sales, drops in revenue, a review of direct competitors, Internet sales and the size of cuts at retailers in the same sector, if those were available."

I'm sure some will be closing this year. Hell they closed one in the mall near my house, but it's too soon to tell about other stores. If I were them I'd start looking for other work now though.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jazzycola

Well, there is a gamestop in my town's mall and another one right outside the mall about 5 minute walk away. But, also it's a prediction not fact.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tunaburn

i like gamestop. i shop there for 99% of my games. the one by me is doing well so thats good.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Oh snaps! If Gamestop is closing stores are we possibly seeing a return of Funcoland???

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By C2C

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Oh snaps! If Gamestop is closing stores are we possibly seeing a return of Funcoland???

Hate to burst your bubble but the Funcoland brand is owned by Gamestop, they are probably not coming back.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cmblasko

I hate to hear about so many people potentially losing jobs, but I have not been a fan of Gamestop for a long time now so I can't say that I am too dismayed.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By colourful_hippie

@big_jon said:

True but most of the time they come across as scummy because of Gamestop's policies. I know some people who work there and they wish they could find jobs elsewhere so they don't have to be forced to sell preorders and bullshit game guides. They have to ask all that shit for a reason.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@big_jon said:

I'm sure there are some. I definitely don't like dealing with them.

I view them in a similar way to how I view cops: I feel like they have to be dicks sometimes because they're forced to by those above them, they have to meet certain quoatas and do certain things (DO YOU WANT TO PREORDER THE NEW CALL OF DUTY!?!?!) to keep their jobs.

But many go beyond that and are just assholes.

@Branthog said:

@SmilingPig said:

Probably not that much of a shame. It's a low-skill and high-turnover job and there are plenty of those to go around. All they have to do is step outside of their store and look up and down the mall they're in to find two hundred other shops they could apply at. I don't think losing your job at Gamestop is one of those "now I'm going to be unemployed for six months while I field other options and negotiate a contract somewhere" kind of things.

Tough enough times some places that there aren't just plenty of those jobs to go around.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zuldim

A mall nearby me had, at one point, 3 Gamestops in it at once. It wasn't even a very big mall.

So yeah, maybe they could stand to close some redundant locations.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By brownsfantb

The mall by me actually has two GameStops in it, which never made any sense to me. There's also at least 7 or 8 of them within a 15 minute drive from my house.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Coombs

Everyone is saying sucks for the employees, but Gamestop pays like shit anyway so after pounding the pavement for a couple days most of them are going to be better off. And as far as Gamestop itself goes I only ever go there when I'm buying something with a pre-order that I want to make sure I have release day otherwise I just buy online.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I know this is terrible generalizing, but I don't feel terrible about this at all. I've never had a decent salesperson at Gamestop. I just want to get in, get my games, and get out. I don't want to have a conversation about how Call of Duty is so much worse than Halo if I'm buying either of them. I don't want you to recommend five or six other obscure Japanese RPGs. I don't want to hear you treat some mom like she's an idiot for buying her son X or Y game. Just keep your head down, sell your games, and be quiet and polite. That's it.

Ugh. Rant over. I am genuinely sorry for those Gamestop employees who are decent, hard working folks.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

My town doesn't have any of those mythical Gamestops that doesn't hassle you about trade-in deals and preorders. I am not surprised that they're declining though. Amazon has been doing a great job of giving competitive, if not better prices on used games. Also the majority of people who want a console probably have the ones they want now. It'll be interesting to see if their stock picks up when the next generation of consoles hits.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shookems

As a former employee of gamestop, death to GameStop. This company does not give a single fuck about its employees. Most get minimum wage and an extremely limited number of hours per week, depending on how many subscriptions and pre-orders they sell. I wouldn't wish GameStop employment on my worst enemies.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By algertman

They are closing one near. That's means there 4 close to me now rather 5.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By John1912

I dont get why ppl hate GS. Who gives a shit if they ask you a few annoying questions. I got one a mile from my house. I love GS.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By Yanngc33

Game Informer is going to take a hit

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By stonyman65

I get everything from Amazon now anyway so I really don't care that much.

The one thing that would suck is that my friend Joe is a manager at one of our stores here, so I guess he would be out of a job if any of the stores here closed down.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By big_jon

It depresses me, because I feel like these places should be the type of place where people who love games enjoy going to, instead they are just the opposite.

pakattak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pakattak

@The_Laughing_Man: Sadly, that's probably one of the reasons why they were closed. I used to work at Gamestop, they obsess over preorders and magazine subscriptions. Used to be they'd give commission. Then they just said "Do it or you're fired".

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@pakattak said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Sadly, that's probably one of the reasons why they were closed. I used to work at Gamestop, they obsess over preorders and magazine subscriptions. Used to be they'd give commission. Then they just said "Do it or you're fired".

I meant as in he would say" Anything else you wanna pre order" And I would say nah. He would suggest something and I would say no an that would be the end ofi t. 
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By big_jon

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I know this is terrible generalizing, but I don't feel terrible about this at all. I've never had a decent salesperson at Gamestop. I just want to get in, get my games, and get out. I don't want to have a conversation about how Call of Duty is so much worse than Halo if I'm buying either of them. I don't want you to recommend five or six other obscure Japanese RPGs. I don't want to hear you treat some mom like she's an idiot for buying her son X or Y game. Just keep your head down, sell your games, and be quiet and polite. That's it.

Ugh. Rant over. I am genuinely sorry for those Gamestop employees who are decent, hard working folks.

These sound like made up scenarios, as far as I know they are generally happy if you buy any game. Like I can't even imagine a scenario where a sales person would try to talk down a game you are buying or why they would start talking about their favourite obscure RPG if you were no in a conversation with them that would naturally lead to that being brought up.

The worst I have seen or heard is lying to people to make a sale, trying to appease to your taste to try and make a sale, trying to get you to preorder stuff without you asking about it, trying to push the new Call of Duty onto you.

Just saying.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrfluke

@big_jon said:

It depresses me, because I feel like these places should be the type of place where people who love games enjoy going to, instead they are just the opposite.

play n trade sort of fits your description, i have no idea if they are still around though