yeah... So im thinkin' of dropping out of college. advice???

• 111 results
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By blackbird415

so im in my first semester of college(seattle university) and its kicking my ass royally. I came to try computer sciences, but I found quickly that's not what I want to do, not im not sure on anything. I know college is supposed to be hard and I knew there were gonna be alot of papers and blah blah blah, but with my ADHD and learning disabilities its really taken an extra toll on me.  

If you think school is tough try having a particularly bad short term memory, the hand writing of a 4th grader (the notes on my pshyc. test for learning disabilities), a processing disorder (takes me longer to do assignments), and depression to boot... Its not like im dumb or anything I have an IQ of 130.

My depression has really kicked in too, im living in Seattle far away from any family or friends, Im finding it really hard to make friends, and im failing my classes now, even though ive dedicated mass amounts of time to work with no social life. Im not sure what the hell to do.  

Im thinking of leaving and just getting an A+ cert. and take a single class here or there on my own time. Maybe some graphic design or web design classes (im fairly proficient in the adobe suite)

Is there any advice or guidance anyone can give me? Can anyone help my situation out here? 

This might not be the best place to go for womthing like this, but it never hurts to try.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By theWarren

With the issues you describe, an analytical field probably isn't the best choice for you, especially if you don't enjoy on some level. 

You mention graphic design and web design, are you an artistic person?  Do you think of how you could make things better on existing sites you go to?  Are you interested in coding?  It might be something to look into.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx

Isn't there a place you can go at the University to talk to someone? They'd have some decent advice.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
@blackbird415:  

i'm on computer science too, and i understand what you're saying. 

The A+ certification is a good idea. 

And speaking truthfully you don't need to go to college to learn what you want. 

You should think about what you want to do, about computers, and take some classes and learn by yourself. 

Afterwards if you want the degree, you'll have mastered much of what is asked and it will be easier. 

But you should keep in college the year and see if you really can't fit in.  

Good luck man!
SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SammydesinasNL

As saud by theWarren, it might be better to look at more artistic things. Try to figure out what you want to do in the future and what you'll enjoy. It might be frustrating at first but once you feel more comfortable you'll see that work will also go a lot easier.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

Dont be a quitter.  First off you cannot come in here telling me you have all these problems and then say, but I have an IQ of 130!!!! No, it doesnt work that way, you are trying to find an out.  It really is just you feeling that things should be easier.  Something tells me its not as clear cut as you make it seem because somehow you were able to come post this here and really do a good job of describing what you are going through, so why not put the same effort into school?
As for your depression, i have been away from family and friends for school too, but college friends are some of the best you could have and will help you out.  Dont be afraid to go to club meetings and the like, its the easiest way to meet people who have similar interests.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blackbird415
@Demyx: 

I am actually going to their counseling center to help with my depression, Im just unsure 
about alot of these things so I want to get as much advice and information as I can possibly get
before making a decision like this.

and yes I definitly see myself in a more artistic career, I have terrible free hand though (my dysgraphia has effected that), thats why i've worked with photoshop for the most part. I dont know what to do in the art field though. I can see also that college is benefitial for some thing and not others.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Mushir

I don't have learning disabilities so I don't know how you feel, but if its really that hard for you then maybe you shouldn't do this. If you are interested in graphic design and are pretty familiar with the Adobe suite then you can do freelancing.

karakuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By karakuchi

I didn't figure out what I wanted to major in until the second semester of my third year in school, so don't feel bad about nkot knowing what you want to do, because I garuntee you there are seniors getting ready to graduate that don't know what they want to do (like me).  For your classes,  you might want to see if your teachers will allow you to record the lectures, so that you can listen to them later and take better notes.  Learn to write everything down that you need to remember.  My father's short term memory is messed up from the pills he had to take during desert storm, to counter-act the effects of a gas attack, and he has to write down everything, sends himself emails,  so it can be done.  As for making friends, just try making small talk to the people that sit around you and go from their.  I know its hard being away from family and friends, because when I first started college, I went from living on a military base in Japan, to going to school in a small town in Kansas.  Needless to say I had a bit of a culture shock along with being homesick.   One last thing, try taking all of your prerequisites before you start taking classes for your major.  I did that, and by the time I got to classes for my major, I figured out how to take notes, study for tests, and write papers and earned all A's and B's in my major.  You also get to meet a lot of different people in those prerequisite classes, because everyone has to take them.  Whatever you decide, good luck! 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fwylo

IMO if you've started it you should probably try and hold out till the end of the semester or year if you can.  I have a few friends who decided to drop out mid course/class and regret not just finishing the few months they had left.  Due to the money they invested in it and the only partial knowledge they have now.  If you have a plan for after that's obviously a good idea like your graphics design thing or whatever.  Or a class here and there is good whatever fits your lifestyle.  

But no point in starting something, going through however much you've been through, and then having nothing to show for it at the end.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

By law, if you disclose and have a adhd assement done, they have to accomadate you a bit by giving you more time to finish your homework and stuff. Technically without having dopamine which regulates focus at the front part of your frontalobe part of your brain, you can't compete against your other classmates no matter how much effort you try. They really have to give you more time by law if you disclose you really have adhd.

Btw, art also takes alot of focus and patience, which might be difficult if you want to get better at it or finish whatever you started. 

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By cinemandrew

I'd say give college a little more time before you throw in the towel. It sucks that you've got learning disabilities, but dropping out isn't going to make them go away. We all have our hurdles. You've just have to try that much harder. At least finish your first semester (I'd actually recommend going a full year), before you decide that you're done. 

The most important thing is what your really want to do with your life. If you truly believe you'd be happier doing something else, then go for that instead. It sounds to me like you're looking to settle though, and that's no good. An A+ cert is nice (I have it myself), but it won't guarantee you a great career. If you start down the path of "I'll take a class here or there on my own time", you'll probably end up at some dead-end job at 40 wondering what happened. Not to say it can't be done, but I've been there before too. Luckily I was able to figure out exactly what I wanted and got things turned around, but I really wish I had gotten things in order when I was a bit younger. 

It sounds to me like you're just not sure what you want. That's ok. Lots of people go through that. You just have to figure out what makes you happy. I always see folks who go for a career that they think will make them good money, and offer security, but so few people actually go for a career they will have fun with. My wife started out like that, and she quickly got bored, and frustrated with her classes. We decided she should switch majors, and she was much happier after that, even though she's not actually working in the field of her degree (haha). Good luck with whatever you do. It's tough getting past stuff like learning disabilities, or in my case a major fear of failure, but it makes the end result SOOOOOOO much more rewarding.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryoma122

well your university should no about your adhd and they will take that into acount if not then there ass holes and you should sue there ass  
but if your only in the first semester just try to dig your heels in and dont be affraid to ask for help
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

i know how u feel. i also have a learning disability i go to a community college. i do bad in my classes. i took an english class 4 times, math  3 times. the math is only a high school level math >_> the classes that are my major like animation i'm doing good in.

basal1sk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By basal1sk
@blackbird415 said:
"so im in my first semester of college(seattle university) and its kicking my ass royally. I came to try computer sciences, but I found quickly that's not what I want to do, not im not sure on anything. I know college is supposed to be hard and I knew there were gonna be alot of papers and blah blah blah, but with my ADHD and learning disabilities its really taken an extra toll on me.  

If you think school is tough try having a particularly bad short term memory, the hand writing of a 4th grader (the notes on my pshyc. test for learning disabilities), a processing disorder (takes me longer to do assignments), and depression to boot... Its not like im dumb or anything I have an IQ of 130.

My depression has really kicked in too, im living in Seattle far away from any family or friends, Im finding it really hard to make friends, and im failing my classes now, even though ive dedicated mass amounts of time to work with no social life. Im not sure what the hell to do.  

Im thinking of leaving and just getting an A+ cert. and take a single class here or there on my own time. Maybe some graphic design or web design classes (im fairly proficient in the adobe suite)

Is there any advice or guidance anyone can give me? Can anyone help my situation out here? 

This might not be the best place to go for womthing like this, but it never hurts to try. "

prostitution?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've just recently dropped out of university. Not through choice, I failed my second year, I wanted to resit but my university's student welfare department were worried I would get myself into more debt to just fail again, so I had no choice but to leave. Now I'm unemployed & trying to live on £50 a week until I find a job (which isn't easy at the moment). It's really depressing & not easy. Obviously since you're really finding college hard and problematic, and you're a completely different person, it might not be as bad for you, but just remember that it isn't going to be plain sailing if you leave college either.

Either way, you should probably talk to someone at your college about it. They will have people there that can give you advice on it. They are used to dealing with situations like this, and they will definitely be able give you advice on making the workload easier, and may even be able to reduce your workload because of your problems. Listen to their advice and take it from there. Take it slowly, don't make any rushed decisions that you may regret.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blackbird415
@TheHBK: 

I do put in the effort, but it doesnt show in my grades...

thing is thats exactly what learning disabilities are all about
Having more intelligence than are able to properly show, at least in the normal classroom setting.
A discrepancy in what you know and what you can show that you know.

I can see where your coming from, to some extent yeah I am trying to find an out. Im trying to give myself options so I feel like I can 
change, like I don't have to be in the miserable state I am in, and if dropping out can do that so be it. I would like to have a college degree and a career I love just as much as anyone, but what if I also find that I get this college degree what ever it may be and cant find a job that fits with that major, or I find all along I didnt need the degree after all, one way or the other going or not going to college is a gamble. Im just unsure on what to do.
badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By badsmalltalker

Coming from someone who also has ADHD and a horrible short term memory, I think you just need to take time and find out what really makes you happy as a career path for your college.

I don't do particularly well in my classes, just get by on the minimum, but when it comes to the important classes for major, I love them!  I remember everything without even really taking extensive notes because I am really motivated to learn the material.  

I think straight computer science might not be your thing, as someone said earlier, maybe you should look into more artistic aspects of it if CS the specific field that you find you are looking for.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By septim

Change your major. I also intended to go for Comp Sci until I had a bunch of people warn me away from that. Use ratemyprofessors.com and find teachers that aren't hardasses and will cut you some slack. Balance your schedule so you don't have too many rigorous classes at once. Dropping out of college is probably only going to make your depression worse in the long run.

Sounds to me like you made the classic mistake of overloading your first semester which is bound for disaster as just moving out and starting college can be so overwhelming at first. There is no reason your first semester should be that difficult for a person with a 130 IQ.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blackbird415
@septim: 

I didnt overload, this school creates your schedule for you the first semester. initially I had seventeen credit hours with calculus, precalculus, anthropology, and fundamentals of computer science. I dropped calculus and now im running with 12 credit hours, I dropped the calculus class.
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By septim
@blackbird415 said:
" @septim:   I didnt overload, this school creates your schedule for you the first semester. initially I had seventeen credit hours with calculus, precalculus, anthropology, and fundamentals of computer science. I dropped calculus and now im running with 12 credit hours, I dropped the calculus class. "
That sounds like an atrocious first semester, especially for one that has been pre-determined for you... Pre-Calc and Calc at the same time???
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By super_machine

When you ask "would you like fries with that" don't forget to tell them to super size it. Its all about the $$$. 

Joking aside, if you dont like the direction you are taking in college, chances are you wont want that as your career either. Do yourself a favor and take a semester off to think about what you want to do next. Thats what I did, but I never thought of it as dropping out. Think of it more like re-evaluating your goals.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By lead_farmer
@blackbird415: You should change your major.  My friend is a computer science major and he says its super demanding, but most majors are gonna be super demanding.  Also, would it be possible to take some GE at some community college or something closer to home?  That way you have those classes out of the way and can worry about the major-specific classes later.  @septim said:
" Use ratemyprofessors.com and find teachers that aren't hardasses and will cut you some slack. Balance your schedule so you don't have too many rigorous classes at once. "
Also, ratemyprofessors.com is really helpful.  Allows you to avoid the professors that are definitely researchers first, teachers second.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I know how tough it is, man. I've been diagnosed with ADD as a child. It's not easy to overcome, but it's definitely not impossible.

But, if I had to guess, I'd say your depression is doing far more damage than your ADHD. You know what helps? Going out on a bike ride or a walk, or any other physical activity. It helps take your mind off all the shit in life. 

Also, watch this video, it's pretty cool.  

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tactis

Yeah I am a second year CS student at least here at UT Austin I feel like a lot of the classes are pretty hard for me it was just a matter of managing my expectations, ok I am gonna take the C in this class just to get through it. As far as being away form family, friends thats a normal thing everyone goes through in their first year I did last year eventually you get used it.

I also I know the feeling of like "man I am studying really hard but nothing seems like it matters I am still making 40s on my tests", for me personally it came down to in my first semester in college I took 16 hours which was pretty hell on earth so from then on I have decided to only take the bare minimum 12 hours and its been good, so I would suggest you maybe try that.

For me though I really loved CS and even though its difficult i know its something i want to do the rest of my life, if you dont feel that way you might wanna switch your major that combined with a lighter class load should be good. 

The most frustrating thing for me and I dont know if thats true for you at your college but like atm I am in this stupid electrical engineering class that I need to graduate in CS and there are a lot of classes that really dont interest me and I know I will never use but I try and keep things in perspective that I enjoy the coding higher level stuff and some classes will not interest me at all but I need to get through to reach my goal.

Hope that helps,

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#26  Edited By citizenkane

Don't drop out.  That's my advice for you.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blackbird415

@lead_farmer:  

yeah, registration for next semester came up, I had to register just in case I do decide to keep with it.

my classes are english 110 college writing, phil-110 philosophy and critical thinking, and webdesign in the fine arts department. I  pretty much know it wont be as bad as this semester, but I also have to talk to financial services about my financial aid considering im basically failing this semester.

O: I also read 10 pages an hour, ive timed it. any faster and I don't retain any of the information so classes with alot of reading screw me up. I get books on tape where I can, but its still hell to get through reading esp. when the teacher scans in parts of a textbook or some book into a pdf. reading programs cant really tell the words from those

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By v

I'm in my second year, and although i can't really relate to having a mental disorder (I was tested once for ADHD and the psychologist said i didn't have it even though I have suspicions), I have lived all my life with Cerebral Palsy. Luckily, it is very mild and doesn't have much of an effect on me commuting to school and such (I usually ride my bike), but I found myself in the same boat.  I believe that college is made to basically mentally kill you to prepare you for the real world. Last year, I had times where I was depressed, but as time progressed, I realized how to cope with the really hard times.  Like for me, living in the dorms KILLED me, my grades dropped really low, and my parents have threatened to pull me out multiple times if i don't get good grades this term.  I guess the final point i am trying to make is to give it a year, see if it gets any better.  I know what helped the most for me was finding a schedule that fits mine, in addition to living off campus. 

Hopefully you do better!

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By C0V3RT

I can somewhat relate.  My first semester of college was awesome, all A's and one B.  I made some dumb choices and the depression of being away from home kicked in and ultimately I opted to leave college.  I've worked since and have been taking online courses at a college closer to home. 

I can't attest that it always works like this - but its ultimately been the be choice ive ever made.  At work I look around and see people with a degree doing entry level jobs.  I've just kept at it, worked hard, and have received multiple promotions and am doing the work of people who went to school for years to study networking.  If I had stayed in school - I wouldn't have been able to afford my house or support the family I've since started as a result of student loans. 

I'll also point to one of my friends I've known since the 7th grade.  He went to school and got a degree in Youth Ministry...he's had that job for a year and is now a Network Systems Analyst for another local company. 

Don't get me wrong - I think a degree has it's benefits.  Nothing shows an employer dedication like a degree.  It also gives you a leg up on folks like me with no background that work their way up internally and learn via on the job training.  It also gives you that "in" point in that career field. 

Do what's best for you.  I had so many people telling me so many different things when I was making the decision.  I just needed some time to get away and think - as only I knew what was truly best for me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You should take ritalin, you get your focus back at least. Also yes I used to be on it, I have adhd and terrible grades just like you. I also dropped out of a program, I won't say what, however I regretted it because on your resume you can only say you attended this class.

Look you have to tell them you have adhd, or you have to get an assessment for it. Then they will have no choice except to give you more time to finish stuff. I'm not making this stuff up, it's actually by law they have to help you out that way, it's the same for other learning disabilities.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blackbird415
@HitmanAgent47: 

I know man I was a part of LEAD (learning and educating about disabilities). 
 http://www.leadcolorado.org/  its kind of a crappy website, but hey.

I know about the legal and psychological factor about learning disabilities, 
its still a struggle. I don't take medication your correct and my counselor suggested maybe doing it.
Thats a whole 'nother hassle of taking drug trials to see how it works out. No medication works for everyone.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By demonbear
@blackbird415: I wont give you the story of my life, you probably don't care, but i'll give you the best advice i could give you, coming from a guy who dropped a few classes in his life.

find out what you like to do in life and stick to it, commit to it and fuck the rest.

There. Have a nice life.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Change your major. Don't drop out.

I took what I like to consider a "break" from college for this year, and it's been the most depressing and degrading year of my life, I'm not kidding. I'm getting my ass back into college starting next semester, and this time I'm going to finish my degree. :|

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Damian

I advise finishing this semester or year to the best of your abilities, and thinking about this more after that so that you have the clearest head about it. 
It's a good idea to ask around as you're doing. You don't want to rush a decision this pivotal.

Good luck. Sounds like a tough call.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@blackbird415: You have to keep trying ritalin until you get the right dose with your specialist doctor. Belive me it's weird, when I take it, everything starts to calm down and I can sit down and read or draw non stop without getting distracted (belive me it's like that for everyone else even though you probally see the world as chaotic as I do) It's like when you are losing your vision thinking that's how the world is, then you put on glasses and you can see where your driving for example, it's easier. I belive it would geniunely help you, even adderal or whatever they have now days. That's really all I can tell you, rethink ritalin dispite what you may of read, those nay sayers saying how it's a harmful drug is not helpful or productive. They honestly don't know your brain needs that, without the dopamine which is created by ritalin, your car (or brain) swith run on empty and that's when you start to get distracted and lose focus. The thing with everyone else is they can retain those dopamine, there are nerve cells called reuptake inhibitors which uptakes the dopamine way too fast for ppl like us which affects planning, motivation and focus. Ritalin really is a good solution, however it's not a magic pill that fixes everything, however it does geniuninely gives you actual focus for a change for a few hours at least which you definetly need right now.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blackbird415

im not naysaying taking drugs if necessary, i just like to be really precaucious about these things, especially considering how these drugs might effect other disorders or might bring out something that was dormant. I have many friends with ADHD I have friends who do and friends who dont take medication. I just like to be precauscious about prescription drugs.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@blackbird415: Remember adhd is more of a physical problem with the brain, not a psychological. You can try without it, however your really working though software metaphorically, not fixing the hardware of your brain. Of course maybe you can try to find a job that is adhd friendly, nothing that requires too much focus to work around your weakness. I can tell you, one thing adhd is good for, is when your a CEO of a company, you can deal with a ton of things at once since your not focused on any one thing, even the guy who created the airlines jetblue is said to have adhd. Same with alot of celebrities, they found a way to make it work for them. Still if you want to do a normal mundane job or go to university, you seriously might need ritalin or your not going to compete well, you won't stand a chance. It's your choice, however for me it was safe, it worked. Remember your brain needs the dopamine. 

I have another suggestion though, if you don't have ritalin or don't want to take it, look at omega 369 pills. It's fish oil which is good for your brain and focus and can be bought at every drug store over the counter medication as supplements. If anything that is much safer, however not as effective, you will be able to focus at least. It has to be omega 369, not just omega 3.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By blackbird415

that might be a good starting point. thanks i'll see what I can do with omega pills, I just. I just dont know and thats my big problem. I dont know and I cant seem to make decisions

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Stay strong friend, and possibly chose a different course. Computer science is quite difficult and is not for everyone.  Just don't completely drop out of college... It will pay off in the end. 
Stay strong!!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#40  Edited By AgentJ
@blackbird415: Why the hell would you want to drop out of Seattle U? Great area and great school. If you really need a friend, i've got family that works just down the street at the hospital. 
MuzykMann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MuzykMann

Whoa... this seems like it quickly became a "take drugs or don't" discussion instead of school advice. Don't you think that should be between OP, his family, and his doctor? I personally am very anti meds whenever possible, but to each his/her own. OP, putting chemicals in your body isn't something anybody here should have a say in. You do what you feel is best there.

As far as the original question goes, I was very much in the same spot you were. I took two years of computer science at UMD and HATED it. I don't use the term "hate" often, but in this case it's accurate. I jumped from major to major for a third year before finally deciding that, unless I had a major I cared about, I was never going to be able to make myself commit enough to really succeed in class. I dropped out, hung around College Park to still be near my buddies, and started working all sorts of jobs to make ends meet.

Long story short, it's now 4 years later, I'm a network administrator for a local business and, while not wealthy by any means, I'm able to make ends meet comfortably.  I do much better in the workforce than I do in full time classes, and now my office is going to pay to put me through some certs and classes. I've gotten a few lucky breaks, but I can definitively say that the decision to stop taking classes was a great one for me. It may serve as a glass ceiling of sorts when I try and move up the ranks, but I can always finish up taking night and weekend classes if it comes to that.

While I wouldn't suggest you just drop out and run away, I'm living proof that, for some people, dropping out of classes can actually work out well for you in the end. It's certainly not glamorous, not fun to tell friends or relatives, and not a decision to be taken lightly. However, if you truly feel like you're not motivated in school, don't have direction, and want to try something else awhile then it may very well be an option for you.

Whatever you decide, it's gonna be a lot of long hours and hard work. Good luck either way.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kashif1
@demonbear said:
" @blackbird415: I wont give you the story of my life, you probably don't care, but i'll give you the best advice i could give you, coming from a guy who dropped a few classes in his life.  find out what you like to do in life and stick to it, commit to it and fuck the rest.  There. Have a nice life. "
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By apathylad
@blackbird415: 

If you're having trouble with your classes, you may have just picked a field you're not very good at or passionate about. I tried Computer Science too, and all the Discrete Mathematics courses and all that junk just put me behind. I really lost interest in that field, so I went with a different major.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@MuzykMann: You really don't understand adhd, no one has ever suceeded with adhd except working around it. It's a real important discussion because doctors has acknowledged it's the best way to deal with his depression, competence and sucess using medication. You don't know how much it can affect your life, you should do some research because I am offering the very best advice the medical community has for this condition. The advice about medication has everything to do with his sucess and failings at school if you haven't realised it, it's the core of the problem. His problems are very common with all those with adhd, I took ritalin and I started to suceed, I was in his place I dropped out myself and wished I knew what ritalin was before. I only took an adhd test after I finished school and it's real ignorant when you have these ppl who has no idea what they are talking about when they say ritalin is harmful, when in reality it does more good than harm. There are sucess stories with ppl with adhd working around it, i'm one of the stories of the failures of it like most of those with adhd. If he had something else a different learning disability, then maybe I wouldn't suggest taking any drugs for it. It's not narcotics, it's medical drugs for those who lacks dopamine in their brain. 

Even suggesting omega369 will help him get focused enough to maybe pass a few more courses. You ppl take focus for granted, it's important as your sense of hearing or sight imo and you really need to put yourself in adhd ppl's shoes as see how messed up their life is. Imagine not being able to finish anything, pay attention to anything, remember anything.

Also to the op, they also have research improving your diet really improves your focus and green tea is good for focus. However even if you can start to focus, you still have to be competent at school and be effective.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By matthew
@blackbird415 said:
"Is there any advice or guidance anyone can give me? Can anyone help my situation out here?"
If there is a community college around you, hit that up for two years.  Get the core requirements out of the way for the majority of the programs you think you might be interested in, then think of transferring to a real school.  Not only will you save money, but the teachers are faaaaaar more friendly and actually interested in you in junior colleges.  Don't be afraid to talk to those professors either.  You have to speak up, in order for them to help you out a bit.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GunnBjorn

I iterate what the others said before. 
Don't drop out! 
Unless, off course, you want to resort into dejected musings for the rest of your life...
MuzykMann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MuzykMann
@HitmanAgent47: As much as I genuinely support your concern and attempts to help those around you, don't tell me what I do and don't understand. I was diagnosed with mild ADHD and depression. I refused medication, instead opting to handle things myself. I completely revamped my diet and nutrition, and turned to intense physical training 6 days a week. All my old problems were suddenly under control, and I've managed them just fine since.

Again, I don't want to tell OP that meds won't help, but I also don't think you should tell him that they are the only solution. Unless you've got a med degree, let the experts handle it. It's too serious an issue to be giving e-advice to strangers about.
Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@blackbird415:    

I don't know what your financial situation might be regarding tuition and stuff like that, but if you can afford to, definitely stay in school.  If you're having trouble affording it, try taking some core classes at a community college to save money while you figure out what you want to do.  You're not missing anything by waiting a few years before getting in to the workforce.  Explore some other departments, figure out if there's something else you want to do besides Comp Sci, but remember that getting a degree, even if you never use it, will give you a lot more options in the future, no matter what you decide to do.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hatking
@blackbird415:
I cannot stress it enough that you should be one hundred and fifty percent sure this is what you want to do.  I dropped out myself and three years later I regret it every waking moment.  I am just now finally starting to get ready to go back but not after throwing away three and a half years of my life.  If you do not want to go to college you better prepare yourself for some hard times, I'm not saying you can't be happy, some people manage, but they went through this rough patch before that... and most of them still would say they wished they went to school.  I am living with two friends in a tiny shitty apartment in a crappy town, unemployed and usually can only afford one meal a day.  I don't get to go out with my friends, I can't afford to play the games I want and I can't even afford to get my loved ones gifts on their birthdays.  I'm not trying to generate any sympathy here, I brought this on myself, I'm just warning you that you are headed down a very familiar path.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@MuzykMann: Yes now I exercise alot every week, I am a martial artist, really that helps with your stress level and hyperactivity, I know. However I didn't tell him as e-advice, it's the advice I got from adhd specialist doctors and I told him to go get an assement from a specialist, not to mention I went to the library and read every book I could about the topic from ppl with a med degree. Coping with the symptoms isn't reconised as an effective way by doctors btw, maybe changing your diet as you said. Believe me i've even been dianosed by the guy who decided adderal should be used for adhd when it has other uses, an expert in the field. I'm sure your grades are good, however medication is one proven way and the way doctors will go about the situation. Those who tried to cope with it trying to outwit it is going to fail, since I read alot of books about how you will fail and how it describes it in details. You physically changed your diet and affected your physical symptoms, just like ritalin did, you didn't try to outwit it which is impossible psychologically. However I still want to give him the advice of omega 369, it's safe and effective supplement and will physically help with focus. I belive focus is really the core of the problem, I know what i'm talking about, I have research if necessary to back up everything I said if necessary. 

Ppl just have a stigma around the word ritalin and the word drug, when it's really a medication which is really denying ppl the help they need with focusing, which is the problem. Too bad the only way to focus is either to physically change your diet completely or take a pill.