yeah... So im thinkin' of dropping out of college. advice???

• 111 results
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

If you drop out of college,you will not become successful.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By breadfan

Don't drop out, if you do chances are you will not bother going back. 

There are academic advisors who are on campus to assist you in any way.  Talk to one of them about your problems and I'm sure they can help in some way.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Slippy
@OutOfBounds9000 said:

" If you drop out of college,you will not become successful. "

You're fucking delusional if you think this. As my grandpa once said before he died: "some millionares can't even find their own trousers" - simply put, you don't even need to have a clue to be successful in life. I known people who have dropped out of high school education, yet they are making 6G a month while the college graduates struggle through life. College is not some easy ticket to a good life like some of you seem to think. Some people are complete idiots but are more successful in life than a lot of the college circle jerk squad. They might not even earn half of what the college graduate posterboys earn, but they have a nice wife, some good kids, a decent car, a functional house and are the happiest people in the world - much happier than the so called 'successful' people. Education is only necessary if you want it to be.    
iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
@blackbird415:  
I'm in a very similar situation. I was always a smart kid but no one could seem to figure out why despite my interest and intelligence I just couldn't stick to anything. It didn't really effect my life until I enrolled in CS in University.  I finally got fed-up with sitting in front of the books 3 times as long as people I thought I was smarter than and still doing worse and decided to go talk to my doctor.  After a couple referrals and some thorough test they prescribed concerta (like ritalin without the fuss of taking it every few hours). Next I spoke to the good people at my university's specialized support and disability services department and they worked out allowing me to write my exams somewhere more quiet. 

I'm in my final semester of my program and these supports moved me from overly stressed and struggling to being an honors student with a job at Apple on the iPhone team lined up for after I graduate. 

Sure you can drop out but consider getting some support first. Two years ago I was ready to walk away but I can promise you that beating university against all odds will be one of the most fulfilling things you ever do    
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#55  Edited By sjschmidt93

You could find a counselor at the college, right?

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
@blackbird415 said:
" im not naysaying taking drugs if necessary, i just like to be really precaucious about these things, especially considering how these drugs might effect other disorders or might bring out something that was dormant. I have many friends with ADHD I have friends who do and friends who dont take medication. I just like to be precauscious about prescription drugs. "
I was a bit worried about the meds for ADHD too, as a kid I knew a few who abused ritalin so I wasn't to positive towards it at first. After being prescribed something similar (concerta) for two years I've found it very helpful to my concentration during the day. The one negative I've experienced is that I feel a bit loopy/dizzy/agitated for 15-30 minutes when a dose wears off after 7-8 hours.  If you suffer from depression than the ups and downs of a ritalin-like stimulant might not be ideal - but you should talk to a doctor.
skallagrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By skallagrim
@blackbird415: 
here you go  

http://www.seattleu.edu/sas/DisabilityServices/default.aspx?id=28360

every college has special programs that help students with disabilities and learning disorders

talk to them before you drop out
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By crunchUK

This always confuses me, is college basically uni in america? Or is it like BTECs and stuff in the UK

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@blackbird415 said:
"so im in my first semester of college(seattle university) and its kicking my ass royally. I came to try computer sciences, but I found quickly that's not what I want to do, not im not sure on anything. I know college is supposed to be hard and I knew there were gonna be alot of papers and blah blah blah, but with my ADHD and learning disabilities its really taken an extra toll on me.  

If you think school is tough try having a particularly bad short term memory, the hand writing of a 4th grader (the notes on my pshyc. test for learning disabilities), a processing disorder (takes me longer to do assignments), and depression to boot... Its not like im dumb or anything I have an IQ of 130.

My depression has really kicked in too, im living in Seattle far away from any family or friends, Im finding it really hard to make friends, and im failing my classes now, even though ive dedicated mass amounts of time to work with no social life. Im not sure what the hell to do.  

Im thinking of leaving and just getting an A+ cert. and take a single class here or there on my own time. Maybe some graphic design or web design classes (im fairly proficient in the adobe suite)

Is there any advice or guidance anyone can give me? Can anyone help my situation out here? 

This might not be the best place to go for womthing like this, but it never hurts to try. "

Don't do it! stay in college, or move back in with your parents, it's a jungle out there. Question is; are you really ready to ask if they want fries with that burger and coke?
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By damnboyadvance

The best advice I can give you is don't drop out. It will come back to haunt you.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By raviolisumo

Go to a college close to home. It's pretty good.  

@CitizenKane said:

" Don't drop out.  That's my advice for you. "
that too
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Rowr

Do a trade. I had the same problem, learning disablilities and couldnt write a paper for my life. Intelligence will take you far in any trade, as long as you dont hae a problem developing practical abilities.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By xyzygy

I can tell you this honestly, because I dropped out of two universities. When people tell you not to drop out, whatever you do, don't listen to them because even if you DO drop out, you can continue your studies later on when you find out what it is you want to do. Trust me, I should know. It's not like all those courses you took will just be thrown away. You can go back as a second year after you get those courses transferred.

If it's not what you want to do, and you need time to decide, it's better to do what you think is best (whether that is drop out or not) and figure out what it IS you want to do, rather than jump into something else you think you might like. What if you end up taking something else and realize that you don't like that, either?   

It's not like you're partaking in a race, and you need to finish it as fast as possible at the cost of your happiness and money. This is a big decision so you need to take your time. Dropping out is not what it is taken to be - that dropouts are "failures", etc. Many kids drop out of school these days because they don't know what they want. There are so many choices now that it is hard. 

I know people in this thread are telling you to not drop out, but don't throw the option away like they're suggesting. Think things through and if you are sure you just want to decide what you want, then so be it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By xyzygy
@Slippy said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:

" If you drop out of college,you will not become successful. "

You're fucking delusional if you think this. As my grandpa once said before he died: "some millionares can't even find their own trousers" - simply put, you don't even need to have a clue to be successful in life. I known people who have dropped out of high school education, yet they are making 6G a month while the college graduates struggle through life. College is not some easy ticket to a good life like some of you seem to think. Some people are complete idiots but are more successful in life than a lot of the college circle jerk squad. They might not even earn half of what the college graduate posterboys earn, but they have a nice wife, some good kids, a decent car, a functional house and are the happiest people in the world - much happier than the so called 'successful' people. Education is only necessary if you want it to be.     "
I absolutely love this post. Nice job Slippy. That showed him. 

"Education is the method by which one acquires a higher grade of prejudices." - Laurence J. Peter
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By m1k3

is it possible for you to change majors?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Shadow

As someone who has those very disorders you describe and about to get a degree in the area you describe (computer science), you're making excuses.  The class difficulty you are at now is nothing compared to  what it will be so if you're having this much trouble with that level of difficulty and actually think you can get anywhere without a college degree...then go for it I guess?  Otherwise, man up and actually do the work.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jmrwacko

The sciences suck. Get on ritalin, make friends, and major in philosophy. You won't be much better off than you'd be dropping out, but at least you can live on a school campus and not in your mom's basement.

qwicksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By qwicksilver

Sorry, I haven't read everything, but has anyone suggested that you take a semester or a year off?  I'm fairly certain many schools allow for that and will take you back once that period of time is over.  

I'm not a medical doctor or a psychiatrist, but I'll give the best advice that I can:

First of all, I'd say that whatever you do, make a concrete plan.  If you do decide to drop out of college, I would say that it would be a good idea to think of it as a temporary move to clear your head and maybe grow a little as a person.  Of course it is true that many people do not go to college and can be monetarily successful and/or have a fulfilling life, but I personally feel that going to college maximizes your chances at least for monetary success.  It's no guarantee, but an education is the closest thing to improving your chances.  

At any rate, if you do drop out, I'd say make a coherent plan first.  It'll help you become more comfortable with the decision knowing you'll still have direction, and it will likewise prevent you from losing focus in terms of finding a career that you can be passionate about.  I'd think about the areas that I am interested in and start doing research into how probable it is to get an entry level job in that area of study.  Once you have a general goal down, try and think about segmenting the next year into general plans or goals.  Perhaps you will want to just relax for a bit and kick your depression, or maybe you really need time off with family or friends, etc.  It's of course hard to say not knowing you personally, and depression in college is not an uncommon thing.  In your case, it seems like many of the stresses of college have been magnified due to your own personal situation, but I don't think they're insurmountable or would seriously prevent you from succeeding in college. And, of course, if your ADHD and/or depression is preventing you from thinking this fully through, I'd find a trusted friend or family member or counselor to help you keep your thoughts straight.  But one thing, I think what you want to do is to be sure that going home isn't just going to be temporary relief from your current troubles, but rather a rational decision in order to better help you improve yourself for the future.

One thing taking a break might help with is getting you to think a bit more objectively about what college means to you and why you want to go there.  It's really hard to truly understand what's best for you sometimes when you're in the middle of the crisis itself, and maybe you need some distance from your day to day problems in order to decide on the larger issues.  Life after highschool can be a depressing and/or scary time just because it is perhaps one of the first times your life really changes so rapidly in so many ways.  It certainly was overwhelming for me on some levels.  Sometimes it's just part of the process of growing up, but other times it is a fundamental problem with where you are in life or maybe there are too many problems to coherently face.  I think it's perhaps something only you can say for certain, but I would say going to counselors certainly helps, and of course confiding in close friends certainly helps as well.

Lastly, as for the medication issue, I would say that if you are diagnosed with ADHD by an accredited Psychologist/Psychiatrist, I would definitely consider taking medication.  My psych professors were of the opinion that drugs like Ritalin were perhaps over-prescribed, but they certainly were not advocates of not prescribing any drugs when qualified Psychiatrists suggest them.  If your ADHD is as severe as you describe it, I think it's pretty clear that taking drugs like Ritalin would probably benefit you a great deal.

Anyway whatever happens, I can only wish you the best in your choices and offer you the reminder that there are very few choices in our lives that are set in stone.  Sometimes we get the impression that people's lives can only go a certain way or else they won't be happy, but of course really I think people don't always live such a straight path through life.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By natetodamax

When the time comes to make a possibly life changing decision, where do you go?

TO THE INTERNET!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By jmrwacko
@Shadow said:
" As someone who has those very disorders you describe and about to get a degree in the area you describe (computer science), you're making excuses.  The class difficulty you are at now is nothing compared to  what it will be so if you're having this much trouble with that level of difficulty and actually think you can get anywhere without a college degree...then go for it I guess?  Otherwise, man up and actually do the work. "
Well, if he's having trouble in computer science fundamentals, I think he'd be better off not even trying to take the major. Fundamentals is pre-intro, and computer science only starts getting challenging with Data structures and Discrete mathematics about a year in. And by hard, I mean the difficulty jumps radically. I did the best on the AP Computer Science A test in my entire high school, and I was still weeded out of the CS major by Discrete math.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By LeetBalla

Sorry, but I am about to be really harsh. You need to suck it up and go to college. Forget about your "illnesses", no one cares. If you use that as an excuse to keep yourself down you will always fail. When you get out into the real world people will expect you to act like a professional. No one is going to accommodate/baby you and think you're worth a damn. Suck it up, be a man.  

I don't like working 30+ hours a week while take 16 credit hours (as I am sure many other students do), it sucks and it is difficult to find time for everything. But I do it because it needs to be done and it is my responsibility. I know it will benefit me in the long run. I realize that this is a different type of challenge than having some kind of "disability", but my point is that we all face tough times. We all have to figure out how to suck it up and take care of our responsibilities. It is no one else's responsibility for you to do well, be self reliant. My advice ultimately is that you need to figure out what your major is and go to college.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Slippy

My other post got deleted somehow so i'll say again what I said before.  

Do what YOU want to do; Don't do what other people want you to do. My philosophy in life is that you should never waste time doing things that you dislike or are no good at. Staying in a deadbeat job just because, staying in college despite failing grades.. it is all a waste of your existence if you are not happy about doing it. One of my relatives studied psychology and absolutely hated it. She was urged to stick at it and finish the 4 year course. When she came out of it, even with a top degree, she just didn't want to get a job in that area - she was sick of it and hated it, and grew depressed thinking about all this time that had been wasted. Now she is doing an art course which she always wanted to do - they are not guaranteed a job in the end, as that is up to personal ability, but she is still enjoying the hell out of it and could not care less about career prospects

But all this happiness still cannot fix the fact that she wasted so much and underwent such stress for nothing. We live for about 75 years, on average, so by doing that she basically threw a twentieth of her life down the drain. It's cliched, but fuck it: life is short, and in my opinion you MUST, by all means, do the things which you enjoy first and foremost. If you don't, what's even the point of living? You need to also learn that there is always something better out there for everyone. You can fail every exam in high school and still enjoy life as there will still be something out there that is worthwhile for you. So you may flunk college - as long as you are alive and well (and as long as the world isn't actually ending), it's not the end of the world. Life goes on, at least you tried.
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By CandleJakk

Okay, I haven't read the majority of this thread. but an - intellectual level education may not be for you. (That's not saying you're thick, I think you're more a creative).
 Try going a year on a lower level course that's more creative based (art, design etc...). That helped me an awful lot, and focused my mind on what I wanted to do. As such, I learned a lot, (okay I failed my AS levels, but got into university), and I love it.

However, first and foremost, discuss it with your family, and gauge their reaction, and what they think, they will tell you most straight, if you disagree, go to your grandparents. That's what I did, they ae the most honest people you likely know. Otherwise think what is and what isn't working for you. You will find what suits you best, but do search deeper, most colleges are happy to support your decisions and are willing to change your course to suit you (certainly in the UK the USA might be different), but ask parents, tutors, and heads of year. They're more knowledgable than a gaming forum.

Though I wish you the best,

EDIT: If you wish to know more, I failed my AS Levels, (Photography (dropped); Design & Technology (Dropped); Art & Design (put on traditional course rather than design); Computing (ill health during test, low score). I went to college ( Not sure of US alternative, between GCSEs and Degree, equivalent to A Level, all help appreciated), and I got much better grade and lecturers  were more helpful to teaching to my style of learning. This is far more important than you may think, and ultimately provides a more persona; level of tuition.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Siphillis

I say wait until at least your sophomore year.  Dropping out during the first semester seems a little premature, considering this is the first time you have ever live away from home.  If you don't get used to it now, what do you expect to do down the road?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Seedofpower

Join the military.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By blackbird415
@LeetBalla: 

sorry to burst your bubble there, but you can get accommodations in the work place too, and are required by law.
Now its less stringent on what those are, but accommodations do exist.

Also are you saying, I should put myself through this stress and agony. Putting myself possibly on the brink of suicide? 
aging myself quicker even if I dont know what I want to do with my life, even if my goals have smered all over the place?

I dont know, I dont know if throwing myself into the fire like that is really worth a slip of paper...
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By blackbird415
@Siphillis:  Oh I dont plan to go and live back home. If I really needed to I would until the summer or after the summer to get some money together, but over all i can be fairly independent as a person.
goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By goodwood

Ya comp. Sci is a bitch and Im thinking about going back to networking since its something I like a lot more. A lot of the guys here talking about networking most likely took the CCNA and CCNP certs which you could look into. Its much more hands on working with networking and not straight coding.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I have one word of advice:
Don't.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By LeetBalla
@blackbird415: Look kid, I don't really care what you do. You can serve people hamburgers or mop floors for the rest of your life for all I care. I am just tired of people using their circumstances as an excuse to limit themselves. So if you want to whine and cry about how getting an education will literally kill you, go ahead that's your right. I think you are over exaggerating though. 

Realize that part of life is putting yourself through those "fires". Everyone has hard times. Some people emerge better for it and others just cry and complain. Despite your reservations about getting an education, I think you should at least get an Associates degree. If after two years you feel like going on to get a B.A. is "too hard", then quit. Don't get angry with me for giving you advice. You are the one posting your personal problems all over some internet forum. You asked for advice, I gave it. Grow up.
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Maru

If you like working with tools and hands.. skilled trades (Electrician, Plumber, Network Cabling, HVAC, Auto Mechanic  etc..) might be a right direction for you. 
iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
@LeetBalla said:
" ...Forget about your "illnesses"... "disability"...  "
Putting quotes around words like these makes you sound like a real "cock".  I realize in your home state things like disabilities and depression might be considered just Hocus Pocus but the rest of the civilized and educated world understands they are real.  Please, PLEASE, do not go into education, medicine or clergy, there's quite enough of your crazy Scientology-like lack of understanding of illnesses of the brain out there already.

Well, at least we can all agree that studying and going to class 50+ hours a week sucks. 
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By blackbird415
@LeetBalla: who said I was angry? You seem to have it in your head that I got all riled up over what you said. Thing is, everyone of course exagerates to some degree when its personally happening to them, thats a givin'. I know you could care less what the fuck I do, maybe I will end up that food service person that spits in your food or urinates in your soup.

Either way im throwing myself into a "flame" of sorts, at least what you interpret it to be.

Really to many degrees I have grown up. I needed to otherwise I wouldnt have lived through alot of shit thats happened in my life. I know work is hard, I know school is hard, I understand there a serious sacrafice to be made, but it gets to a certain point where is it really worth all this time, effort, money, stress, acrafice to get a slip of paper that doesnt garuntee squat other than you can put it on a resume. 

I can tell you here in seattle, most everyone has some kind of degree, whether it be the guy making your coffee or the taxi driver taking you to the airport. I just dont know if thats what I want to do, esp. when considering an art degree or even a comp. degree. Some careers its completely necessary, lawyer, doctor, what have you, but what I question is how important is it for me in such a field to get a degree and am I willing to bring all those pressures down on me to get it.

P.S. what is your background in learning disabilities/psychological disorders? As in what do you know how these disorders effect the brain? and if you dont have them, do you really think you can really judge someone with these disorders? i.e. calling them whiny little kids.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LeetBalla
@flickr: You miss the point sir. I refer to these things as obstacles to personal development and progress. They are to be overcome rather to be used as an excuse to hide behind. Many great men and thinkers throughout history had ADHD. Some of them include Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, John F. Kennedy, Mozart, Malcolm Forbes and many others. These men did not let their "illness" get in the way of their ambitions. It is all about the triumph of the human spirit.
iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
@LeetBalla:  
Not meaning to be too rude, but thank you sir for showing us all how little you know about the science of psychology. 
Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, John F. Kennedy and Mozart all died before ADHD was formalized in the DSM-II in 1968.  So how were these people diagnosed with an ailment not professionally understood in their lifetimes?  Please try and give me a reference to their official diagnoses.  You won't be able to.  Those guys didn't "let their illnesses get in the way" because there is no proof they were ill with diagnosable ADHD.  You are again spouting the same crazy talk I accused you of above.

People can be ADHD-like without being diagnosable.  What separates a disability from "obstacles to personal development and progress" is right there in the word, dis-ability, meaning the opposite of able.  Just like you wouldn't expect someone visually disabled to will themselves into seeing you can't expect someone with a mental or learning disability to just magically overcome it.  If someone is able to cope with their mental, emotional or physical ailment then it is (by definition) not a disability and should never be diagnosed as such.   

I really like your idea about "the triumph of the human spirit" but we live in a real world where shitty things can make peoples lives suck in ways that they cannot and will never overcome.  I'm glad you are optimistic enough or young enough to have not run into any of these harsh realities yet, hopefully you can continue to be so sheltered.  
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By LeetBalla
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By blackbird415
@LeetBalla: So your saying college has to be one of those??? I think you miss the point sir. "personal obstacles and development" do not have to involve college. Living and doing things throughout your life are those parts of development and progress of who you are. What you fail to see is that most of the successful people in life dont necissarily have to go to college, im speaking financially and emotionally. college doesnt = success in anything, but in terms of development of who we are as people, every choice we make evolves that, every obstacle, college doesnt have to be one of those
iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
@LeetBalla:  
You are trusting About.com to save you from looking stupid?  You are citing secondary sources.  I bet your professors at school don't accept secondary sources...  

Doing the real work for you, About.com references Charles Schwab who appears to have no real authority on the matter beyond having a child with dyslexia and starting a foundation to help parents of disabled children. My best guess is that someone at Schwab's foundation made that list up as a motivational tool for parents and it has been misunderstood, misquoted, modified and misused ever since.

You really need to be more careful about what you trust on the internet.  You can't just accept it because it fits nicely with what you already feel and believe.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LeetBalla
@blackbird415: I never said college had to be one of them.  I suggested college to you because you ask for my opinion. It just seems like you are giving up because it is harder than you want it to be. If getting an education is one of your goals then fight for it. I don't want to hear you cry about all of these challenges you face, suck whatever courage you have up and do what motivates you. 
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By blackbird415

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhzh9kt8z7c

If you look up F.A.T. city, it gives a fairly good impression of some basic learning disabilities.

But you should really look at the workings of Rick Lavoie

Have you ever thought LeetBalla that maybe these "successful" people had a certain level of support, luck, and connections
to be successful, not that just because they worked extra hard they got where they are today. No one succeeds by just putting the nose to the grindstone and working like crazy

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By blackbird415
@LeetBalla: 

"suck whatever courage you have up and do what motivates you."

That goes for any big thing you do in life
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By LeetBalla
@blackbird415: Look kid, I don't want to debate anymore with you. From our conversations my impression of you is that you are a lazy person who is not willing to do what is necessary to achieve whatever the hell your goals are. You want life spoon fed to you. I came into this forum to give some advice, but you don't want to hear my or anyone else's advice. You just keep making excuses. You said:  
"  No one succeeds by just putting the nose to the grindstone and working like crazy" 

How hopeless, how pathetic. You really believe that? I know everyone catches some easy breaks here and there but this statement seems to indicate that you have given up. Don't send me anymore messages.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LeetBalla
@flickr: I feel as though we will have to agree to disagree. Our world views on this matter simply do not mesh.  I still believe my first post in this forum made sense given his situation, I was just telling him like it is. Do yourself a favor though and work hard to achieve your goals. Don't make excuses because no one is really going to care.   We all have to figure out how to suck it up and take care of our responsibilities. So next time, rather than calling me childish names, try and contribute to the discussion at hand.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By blackbird415
@LeetBalla:  I haven't given up. If I gave up I would have never would have posted this, I wouldn't be alive.

I know im breaking your request here, but I do think its true to some extent, there are untold outieing factors that got you to where you are today consciously and subconciously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8q-GNUjVI&feature=related

"lazy" is what ive been told by uneducated people who I am all my life. LAZY is something told by my teachers since the third grade who never saw the student since the age of 6 would stay up till 10- 11 at night doing homework, finishing papers, and yet I get maybe an 85. 

People never see the learning disableds childs' struggles through the traditional school system. People use examples up the wazzoo, but my disabilities are really my own. Other people might have them, but at different degrees more or less.

life was never spoon fed. My parents were divorced, and for years my mom, brother, sister, and a dog lived off of 200 dollars a month, we were almost homeless. I lived for years trying to get over the idea my dad didnt want me and in fact tried to replace me with another family. I have always been pushed to get As even with all my disabilities I was able to graduate with a 3.6 and college courses in math and computers already under my belt. Ive never had money for things, ive only had the support of a mother in my educational career, whether it be proof reading a paper or prepare to sue a school for not giving me proper accomodations.

So Im wondering with all your can do attitude. how was your life?

dont reply to this message if you dont want to.

P.S. Are you really old enough and know who I to consider me a kid???
goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By goodwood

Leetballa can say what he wants thats an opinion but statistically those few names he says can just be outliers out of possibly millions that have been diagnosed so they cant really be included in the conversation.

qwicksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By qwicksilver
@LeetBalla said:
" Sorry, but I am about to be really harsh. You need to suck it up and go to college. Forget about your "illnesses", no one cares. If you use that as an excuse to keep yourself down you will always fail. When you get out into the real world people will expect you to act like a professional. No one is going to accommodate/baby you and think you're worth a damn. Suck it up, be a man.   I don't like working 30+ hours a week while take 16 credit hours (as I am sure many other students do), it sucks and it is difficult to find time for everything. But I do it because it needs to be done and it is my responsibility. I know it will benefit me in the long run. I realize that this is a different type of challenge than having some kind of "disability", but my point is that we all face tough times. We all have to figure out how to suck it up and take care of our responsibilities. It is no one else's responsibility for you to do well, be self reliant. My advice ultimately is that you need to figure out what your major is and go to college. "
Would you at least admit that sometimes we do need to change our circumstances or setting in order to succeed? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with quitting college as long as you do it in a way still plans and allows for progress.  If all other options are exhausted, then simply trying harder may not be the answer, sometimes people need to change their environment in order to improve.  I'm not saying the OP has exhausted all of his options short of quitting or taking a break from college, but if he has, I can't see why that's a worse option than simply being miserable and unsuccessful for four years.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Diamond

See, this is why you don't ask this kind of question on a gaming forum.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Godwind

Everyone's first semester is rough.  Have some patience before dropping out.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By belaraphon

coming from someone who is just about to graduate college (after 7 years, NICE!) it truly is a great test of character.  no one knows what they want to be when they grow up straight out of high school. i've changed my major twice, attended to two different colleges, received a degree in electrical engineering, (!) and still decided that i wanted to do something else. 

if you really don't think college is for you then take a year off, get a full time job and work things out. if you don't feel like returning than it is your decision and stick with it.  depression is something that you should talk about with a school councilor and really be honest with.  i went through a horrible breakup last semester and it felt better to talk to someone about it.

if you stick with it, know it is a 4+ year commitment that will give you triumphs and pitfalls every step of the way. you'll meet a ton of new people and establish new friendships that will continue for the rest of your life.

i still see my high school friends twice a year, once at thanksgiving and once at x-mas.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#100  Edited By chilipeppersman

I feel you dude, im dropping out of college as well cause I realized that its not the right place for me, I just make things too difficult to succeed. its also quite boring and demotivating to take the GE courses that have NOTHING to do with your major(if you have one, which i dont). The classes at my college sucked as well, and i realized that I should be studying video game design or something at a more technology focused college. I decided im gonna take a break for a while, get some gaming time in, work, and figure out what i want to do in life, in the comfort of my home with my family and friends. That may be a good choice for you, stepping back from a situation can give you a good perspective.
Good luck bud
Peace out