#1 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

Hi,

I can't see where in the billing page you cancel your subscription, will the renewal be a manual thing? I'm not giving any money to CBSi

Thanks

#2 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -
#3 Edited by RedHatDrew (334 posts) -
#4 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -
#5 Edited by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks.

#6 Posted by solidwolf52 (301 posts) -

Unsubscribing before even waiting to see what the guys do with their new home doesn't seem very fan like. Honestly i don't care who gets my money as long as Giantbomb keeps being Giantbomb.

#7 Posted by Athadam (695 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

You should stay around after your premium expires, I'm sure great content will be around and maybe you'll change your mind!

#8 Posted by BonOrbitz (2204 posts) -

As much as I hate Two and a Half Men, I don't care if I'm giving money to CBS if it supports Giant Bomb.

#9 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

I'm ONLY renewing my subscription for the sake of Two and a Half Men. I kinda hate Giant Bomb, really. Not as funny as the Kutch.

#10 Edited by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

All done, thanks!

Don't misunderstand me, I was all up for paying a subscription to Jeff and those guys when I thought they needed my dosh, but I can safely say that CBS does not.

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

You should stay around after your premium expires, I'm sure great content will be around and maybe you'll change your mind!

I'm taking a wait and see approach to renewing my account too. Too many unknowns right now to know whether or not I want to continue my subscription.

Will good content continue to flow? Probably. Will the price change? I don't know. Do I feel good about CBS getting my money? Not really. But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

#12 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

Wait what? I wasn't sarcastic. I'm sorry if it sounded like that. -_-

#13 Posted by falling_fast (2235 posts) -

giantbomb 4 lyfe, dawg

#14 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Castermhief117 said:

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

You should stay around after your premium expires, I'm sure great content will be around and maybe you'll change your mind!

I'm taking a wait and see approach to renewing my account too. Too many unknowns right now to know whether or not I want to continue my subscription.

Will good content continue to flow? Probably. Will the price change? I don't know. Do I feel good about CBS getting my money? Not really. But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

How does Gamespot work? If your'e are a paying member then you don't have to see ads, right? It should be the same with Giant Bomb.

#15 Posted by falling_fast (2235 posts) -

@Dogma said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Castermhief117 said:

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

You should stay around after your premium expires, I'm sure great content will be around and maybe you'll change your mind!

I'm taking a wait and see approach to renewing my account too. Too many unknowns right now to know whether or not I want to continue my subscription.

Will good content continue to flow? Probably. Will the price change? I don't know. Do I feel good about CBS getting my money? Not really. But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

How does Gamespot work? If your'e are a paying member then you don't have to see ads, right? It should be the same with Giant Bomb.

giantbomb's premium subscription has worked that way since the beginning.

#16 Posted by alsnuts2 (674 posts) -

I did cancel my annual subscription and they give you access to the premium content until your year lapses. Not that I am down on the site, but came I was a supporter. They can bring me back as a customer if the package is worth the cost. So I am taking a wait-and-see approach. I get the feeling I will be back but I going to make them hold up their end.

#17 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith said:

All done, thanks!

Don't misunderstand me, I was all up for paying a subscription to Jeff and those guys when I thought they needed my dosh, but I can safely say that CBS does not.

Anyone is free to cancel for whatever reason they like, but if this is the logic people use then when CBSi looks at the sties that bring in the most/least in the future it would leave GB on the chopping block.

#18 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (348 posts) -

It's fine to cancel your subscription for whatever reason you want, but in this case you're cancelling it for something which is false. CBS isn't getting your money.

#19 Edited by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@LibrorumProhibitorum said:

It's fine to cancel your subscription for whatever reason you want, but in this case you're cancelling it for something which is false. CBS isn't getting your money.

If CBS owns the website now, then where is the money going if not to them? If you are referencing Whiskey media and the now "JAMIE & ADAM" tested site (way to respect Will & Norm guys), they don't need my cash either.

#20 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@BrockNRolla said:

But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

Jeff has already confirmed that premium members will continue to get ad-free view of the site.
#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

@Dogma said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Castermhief117 said:

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

Great, thanks. Could have done without the sarcasm but should have expected it!

You should stay around after your premium expires, I'm sure great content will be around and maybe you'll change your mind!

I'm taking a wait and see approach to renewing my account too. Too many unknowns right now to know whether or not I want to continue my subscription.

Will good content continue to flow? Probably. Will the price change? I don't know. Do I feel good about CBS getting my money? Not really. But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

How does Gamespot work? If your'e are a paying member then you don't have to see ads, right? It should be the same with Giant Bomb.

giantbomb's premium subscription has worked that way since the beginning.

Giant Bomb has worked that way, but we don't know how it will work going into the future. As far as Gamespot, that might be the case; I wouldn't know. Maybe that will be indicative of how ads will work on GB in the future.

The only reason I'm skeptical about the situation is because advertising revenues appear to have been a huge reason why Giant Bomb and Whiskey needed to be sold in the first place. If subscribers, without advertising, were fulfilling the financial needs of the site, then they would have been profitable and potentially not sold. Maybe though it was more of a problem of GB not having an ad department that could attract lucrative advertisers for those who were not subscribers. I do not know, but until I hear "no advertising for subscribers," I'm cautious.

#22 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

On the subject, have they announced if the price for subs is changing now? I don't know if it's we have to sub to gamespot now or if we're still subbing to Giantbomb either :( I might be with the OP if it's going to gamespot now

#23 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@BrockNRolla said:

But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

Jeff has already confirmed that premium members will continue to get ad-free view of the site.

That was the response I was looking for. Thanks for the link.

That being said, I can still understand why folks are wary. There are still unknowns, but advertising was definitely a big one for me.

#24 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

On the subject, have they announced if the price for subs is changing now? I don't know if it's we have to sub to gamespot now or if we're still subbing to Giantbomb either :( I might be with the OP if it's going to gamespot now

I believe the prices won't see a change for now. You won't have to change anything to your billing.

#25 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

In this thread;

Hey guys, I know how to cancel my subscription because I can breathe and it's that simple.

But I want attention, damnit!

#26 Edited by bushpusherr (790 posts) -

I don't understand why so many people are treating Giant Bomb like it was a Kickstarter operation or something, or as if they were donating to Giant Bomb like it was a charity case. Premium memberships are a service that you pay for, you pay for the perks and additional content. Yes, that business model is something that helped keep the guys afloat up to this point, and even though they are now at CBSi, I'm pretty sure I read that their ability to retain full control of everything is contingent on keeping premium memberships going.

So, yes, your memberships are still helping to keep Giant Bomb the thing we know and love. You aren't donating your money to CBSi, you are paying for a service. And a damn good one at that.

#27 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@LibrorumProhibitorum said:

CBS isn't getting your money.

Are you sure?

I mean, I won't cancel as long as I get the same content but CBSi didn't buy these sites for nothing. I would imagine it's a "we pay your salary and the bills, we get the profits from ads and subs" kinda deal.

#28 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@BrockNRolla said:

But above all the others, will I end up having to be advertised to despite being a subscriber? A question that has yet to be answered. If there was a guarantee of no advertising, then I might continue, but that's a big if.

Jeff has already confirmed that premium members will continue to get ad-free view of the site.

It seems the same rules apply. The reason I asked is because what I remember Gamespot and also IGN uses that model. If you pay subscription then you get no ads. I have no clue if they have changed it but as President_Barackbar says Jeff seems to have confirmed that Giant Bomb continues being ad free.

And as you self said, Gamespot/CBSi are probably a hell of a lot better getting good advertisers that pay good money for exposure on Giant Bomb. The problem with Whiskey Media was that even if the subs were OK the advertising being shown on the site for them without subs were quite bad and probably not that profitable. I think they are (hopefully) better equipped now to get good advertisers.

#29 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

In this thread;

Hey guys, I know how to cancel my subscription because I can breathe and it's that simple.

But I want attention, damnit!

Your response;

Hey guys, I have nothing important to add to this conversation.

But I want to complain about something, damnit!

#30 Posted by Bollard (5599 posts) -

I should have thought that GB will be handling their Premium Memberships like Tested, and cancelling the auto renew in case people don't want it now that things have changed. That might not be right as obviously Tested are having a much larger change and splitting away, but it would make sense.

#31 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Are GB videos going to remain ad-free?

No. We've always had the technology in place and some amount of desire to have pre-roll advertising, we just never really had anyone out there selling those spots effectively. It's my hope that being part of this larger, more game-focused group of sites will help us to get better ads than what we were running before.

Premium members, of course, will continue to get an ad-free view of the site. Though the last time we did sponsored quest sets it seemed like people wanted to see those, regardless of their membership status, since there was usually a contest associated with the set. So in those cases (assuming we'll continue to do sponsored quests, we haven't really talked about it much just yet), my guess is that we'll show them to everyone.

#32 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@LibrorumProhibitorum said:

CBS isn't getting your money.

Are you sure?

I mean, I won't cancel as long as I get the same content but CBSi didn't buy these sites for nothing. I would imagine it's a "we pay your salary and the bills, we get the profits from ads and subs" kinda deal.

I don't see how CBS wouldn't be getting the money. CBS's ad department will be serving the ads, ergo, CBS will be getting paid by advertisers. If they won't be getting that ad revenue from a user's viewing, they are going to get the user's subscription money. Like it or not, CBS owns GB and therefore, they will benefit from whatever user money GB generates, regardless of how it is generated.

#33 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@alsnuts2 said:

I did cancel my annual subscription and they give you access to the premium content until your year lapses. Not that I am down on the site, but came I was a supporter. They can bring me back as a customer if the package is worth the cost. So I am taking a wait-and-see approach. I get the feeling I will be back but I going to make them hold up their end.

Yeah, I did the same. It's not to voice some kind of displeasure perse, I just don't want to forget about it and get billed automatically. I usually do this with mmo's too, immediately when I subscribe I cancel so I don't run into any surprises because of my poor financial planning skills.

#34 Posted by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@LibrorumProhibitorum said:

CBS isn't getting your money.

Are you sure?

I mean, I won't cancel as long as I get the same content but CBSi didn't buy these sites for nothing. I would imagine it's a "we pay your salary and the bills, we get the profits from ads and subs" kinda deal.

Dave said last week that subscription money would still be going solely to supporting Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. Now granted, it's hard to say how much of that is actually going to be true in practice (although really, how would we know anyway?), but either way, I don't really see what the difference is if we still get good subscriber content out of it and being with CBSi allows them to keep doing the wacky shit they've been doing.

In other words, like everyone else, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

#35 Posted by Barrock (3540 posts) -

Why would you feel bad about giving CBS your money? CBS now pay the crew...

#36 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

In this thread;

Hey guys, I know how to cancel my subscription because I can breathe and it's that simple.

But I want attention, damnit!

I couldn't see it on the billing site, assumed it would ask me when it ends in Sept and thought I'd confirm it on the forums quickly. And buddy, screw you.

#37 Posted by CornBREDX (5391 posts) -

There's a lot of ignorance in this thread.  (Not you OP, your concerns are your own and there's nothing wrong with that part of this thread). 
 
If you guys really don't know answers to stuff about your premium memberships and this whole CBSi buying Giant Bomb weirdness there's this article on the front page
 
I would wait before cancelling prematurely due to concerns, but it is always your choice of course. We don't know what Giant Bomb has in store, but I'm pretty confident at this point Giant Bomb will still be Giant Bomb. Big Bo agrees.

#38 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

In this thread;

Hey guys, I know how to cancel my subscription because I can breathe and it's that simple.

But I want attention, damnit!

I couldn't see it on the billing site, assumed it would ask me when it ends in Sept and thought I'd confirm it on the forums quickly. And buddy, screw you.

Yup, I bet you (Rolyatkcinmai) never tried to cancel because it's not at all obvious. You would expect the option in account management, but it's actually a seperate item in the membership hub, a page you normally would never have a reason to go to.

#39 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

My apologies, I mis-read!

#40 Posted by el_tajij (712 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith: This is the worst time to cancel, dude! Giantbomb need you more than ever now. For a relatively small site like Giantbomb, this kind of deal is heavily weighted in favor of the corporate side. If everyone suddenly jumps ship, GB will suddenly find themselves in a bit of trouble.

#41 Posted by mak_wikus (527 posts) -

@solidwolf52 said:

Unsubscribing before even waiting to see what the guys do with their new home doesn't seem very fan like. Honestly i don't care who gets my money as long as Giantbomb keeps being Giantbomb.

#42 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

I really don't care if CBS is getting my money. I pay the membership for the content, not for my own self-gratification.

#43 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

@Mattyboysmith said:

@Dogma said:

Yup...what RedHatDrew said. It actually asked you to go to the Whiskey Media premium hub to cancel. Not super logic if you ask me.

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/cancel/

My apologies, I mis-read!

It's cool duder! Just happy I didn't accidently piss someone off!

#44 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

@mak_wikus said:

@solidwolf52 said:

Unsubscribing before even waiting to see what the guys do with their new home doesn't seem very fan like. Honestly i don't care who gets my money as long as Giantbomb keeps being Giantbomb.

#45 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@Djstyles92 said:

@mak_wikus said:

@solidwolf52 said:

Unsubscribing before even waiting to see what the guys do with their new home doesn't seem very fan like. Honestly i don't care who gets my money as long as Giantbomb keeps being Giantbomb.

I understand the sentiment, but I have been paying the yearly subscription since day one. I'm still signed up until September. The term fan is relative, am I a fan of the team? absolutely, but not enough to justify paying that amount of money into a corporation like CBS. Perhaps I will buy a t-shirt or something from time to time.

#46 Edited by GaspoweR (3069 posts) -

Here's something which I'm sure a lot of the other duders have said and/or share the same sentiment. You either want to have the premium content of Giant Bomb because you enjoy it, or cancel it because you have to pay for utilities, bills, etc, or just don't find the content appealing. Maybe you are cancelling your account because your anticipating a drop in quality in the future (for whatever reason) since it has happened before. 1up.com being the most recent example with them being sold off and acquired by different companies twice within the past 3 years and look at them now. Whatever your stance is regarding the premium subscription, we can all agree that we should support the site by continuing to visit and be active in the community regardless of membership status (premium or regular) by watching the videos, joining in the live events, leaving comments, giving them feedback and keeping them honest. In that way, we can help Giant Bomb continue to exist since I'm sure the staff has mentioned that they are not going to change anything and that they'd rather stop doing this website if they are going to be forced to drastically change by the parent company.

#47 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Will be interested to see how it works. My sub doesn't run out until Sept something 2013. Now that they are a site owned by a billion dollar company and are no longer just some guys trying to do this crazy thing on their own, I'm not going to be as open to just handing over that kind of money given how little we get out of it these days. One or two videos every couple weeks isn't worth that kind of money, and now that I can no longer justify the price by saying that at least it lets them keep doing all the other free stuff they are going to have to up the bonuses for what we get out of that sub if I'm going to pay it again come Sept 2013.

#48 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

@GaspoweR said:

Cancelling your sub because you don't want to give your money to CBSi makes you sound petty.

BwaHahaha! ... ok .. no wait...hahaha...ok, ok I'm done.

CBS says advertising revenues were at $2.22 billion at the second quarter of 2011. If me wanting not to give them any more dollars makes me petty then please sign me up for the petty express train bound for PettyVille please!