• 141 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -
We won't see GameStop's tablet until next year, but expect the whole industry to keep watch.

Sometime next year, GameStop intends to sell an Android-based gaming tablet, complete with its own self-designed controller. The retailer revealed its intentions in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, as GameStop just started testing the tablet down in Texas.

"We looked at all the tablets and these are the ones that really worked for gaming and we're going to give you a few benefits that you're not going to get elsewhere," said GameStop president Tony Bartel.

What those benefits are has not been revealed.

Some games will be pre-loaded, but GameStop is also developing its own OnLive-like service that could stream games through the 'net. GameStop doesn't appear to be inclined to force everything to use forced touch mechanics, though, and the company its coming up with its own controller solution for games that would benefit from it.

"It's hard to imagine how to stream a game--let's say Modern Warfare 3--onto a tablet and then play it with your finger," said Bartel.

Plenty of questions remain about GameStop's tablet, but it shouldn't be a surprise the retailer is jumping in. If successful, GameStop would control brand-new means of distributing content to consumers on a platform where they'd be bringing in additional revenue. Plus, it helps the company in protecting its current revenue sources.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -
We won't see GameStop's tablet until next year, but expect the whole industry to keep watch.

Sometime next year, GameStop intends to sell an Android-based gaming tablet, complete with its own self-designed controller. The retailer revealed its intentions in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, as GameStop just started testing the tablet down in Texas.

"We looked at all the tablets and these are the ones that really worked for gaming and we're going to give you a few benefits that you're not going to get elsewhere," said GameStop president Tony Bartel.

What those benefits are has not been revealed.

Some games will be pre-loaded, but GameStop is also developing its own OnLive-like service that could stream games through the 'net. GameStop doesn't appear to be inclined to force everything to use forced touch mechanics, though, and the company its coming up with its own controller solution for games that would benefit from it.

"It's hard to imagine how to stream a game--let's say Modern Warfare 3--onto a tablet and then play it with your finger," said Bartel.

Plenty of questions remain about GameStop's tablet, but it shouldn't be a surprise the retailer is jumping in. If successful, GameStop would control brand-new means of distributing content to consumers on a platform where they'd be bringing in additional revenue. Plus, it helps the company in protecting its current revenue sources.

Staff
#2 Edited by SaltyPancakes (110 posts) -

Now who's going to buy OnLive to push this GameStop service away by including it in their next console?

#3 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I can't wait to see this trainwreck.

Gaming tablet? Yeah, no thanks.

#4 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

um...okay.

#5 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

Not really much of a surprise. They've been pushing their Kongregate on android and iOS systems, and that's actually a really nifty service. I don't get around to it too often, but when I do, there's usually something nifty to check o

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10388 posts) -

What's the point of using a tablet if it comes with a controller?

#7 Posted by flamex111 (13 posts) -

lol total copy of ipad....should be interesting ;D

#8 Edited by WJist (313 posts) -

Unless they offer a library as deep as Steam's (or allowing Steam to work on the tablet, doubtful), this is going to be a big No Thank You. Maybe I don't know enough about PC gaming, but aren't there other hardware limitations, even if they do use OnLive-like tech to stream games that demand better horsepower?

#9 Posted by mak_wikus (500 posts) -

Did they announce removing iPad from shelves?

#10 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I really don't know what to think of this, have to wait and see the finished product. Gamestop's own products have always been shit quality though.

#11 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I hate gamestop as much as anybody but a tablet with actual physical button controls as an option would be welcome. Apple's no-buttons stance makes all their games unplayable :(

#12 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Huh? What? Why?

#13 Posted by m2cks (575 posts) -

Gamestop making a tablet. Wat.

#14 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Do.Not.Want.

#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -
#16 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

Gamestop is essentially making its own hand held console.

I find that fascinating.

I wouldn't buy it, as I don't like their business practices, but seriously I can't help but find that fascinating.

#17 Posted by Witzig (326 posts) -
#18 Posted by Pop (2595 posts) -

Rofl what if they call it the gametap. I know they won't cause of copyright.

#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

I do not have any confidence in the quality of this product...

#20 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

No fucking thank you.

#21 Edited by Nihilius (168 posts) -

Hmmmm, variety is always good..... what the hell am I saying, it's gonna be shit.

Great work as always, Patrick.

#22 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

"Would you like to pre-order it? No? We'll throw in some used games in the deal!"

#23 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Weird. This seems like a thing designed by business men who heard a bunch of buzz words and not by someone who understands what people actually want.

#24 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Ugh...Why!?

#25 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

Where do you insert the used games?

#26 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

Nope, I'll pass. I want a tablet for Netflix and a browser. I don't want to play games on it. I have a TV for that.

#27 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Will it come with digital Game Informer issues?

#28 Posted by Deathpooky (1367 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Every time you turn it on will it ask you if you want to preorder a game and add a warranty?

Honestly, I would actually be surprised if they didn't try to pimp digital versions of strategy guides through this thing at all times.

#29 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

Weird. This seems like a thing designed by business men who heard a bunch of buzz words and not by someone who understands what people actually want.

"Tablet? Mobile games? Cloud computing? Sounds like a banger!"

#30 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

@SpudBug said:

I hate gamestop as much as anybody but a tablet with actual physical button controls as an option would be welcome. Apple's no-buttons stance makes all their games unplayable :(

Because the Xperi PLAY is doing so well? Haha. I can't see this thing selling. It's a last ditch effort to not become Borders. Also look at Borders when they tried to sell their own E-Reader. That didn't work either.

#31 Posted by stealthdf2 (168 posts) -

awesome... how much trade in value does it have?

#32 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Huh...that's interesting. I won't be buying it, but I'm curious to see how this works out.

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

STEAM = FINISHED

#34 Posted by coaxmetal (1569 posts) -

Ahahahahahaha

#35 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Hopefully this will be another nail in the coffin for GameStop.

#36 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3133 posts) -

Hey, dudes? Don't buy this.

#37 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

This has failure written all over it.

#38 Posted by ModernAlkemie (357 posts) -

Surely it will be the best mobile gaming solution since the Nokia N-Gage.

#39 Posted by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

Oooooooook

#40 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

This fucking company.

#41 Posted by BadNews (499 posts) -

I recently tried on live and find it an awesome service. Also I don't hate gamestop as much as others who immidiatly go to auto-hate mode when they hear gamestop. This is a cool unique idea. It's innovative. Since when has giantbomb been so against innovation and trying something new? Yeah gamestop has some bad practices but how will any of them transfer over to this? Not sure if this will be great for sure but it's nice to see someone trying something new.

#42 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
#43 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

That IS a good question, I'm sure they will sell it used. They still get all the revenue

#44 Posted by TzarStefan (426 posts) -

I will also make a gaming tablet!

#45 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

WHO IS THIS FOR?

#46 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

So if I buy games for this thing are they gonna digitally play my new copy before I do?

#47 Posted by ESWAT (54 posts) -

Cynicism Force™ Go!

#48 Posted by rudyarr (251 posts) -

what if It wont allow you to log in unless you have a gamepro subscription 0.0

#49 Posted by NinjaCommando (102 posts) -

I'm interested depending on price...

#50 Posted by MeatSim (10742 posts) -

I don't want a tablet and I definitely don't want a GameStop tablet.