• 192 results
#1 Posted by shinluis (429 posts) -

So back in the day we had pretty much something new every so often and quick looks showed up in a nearly daily basis.

Nowadays there's a fairly good quantity of premium videos, podcasts and other nicey features but very little of the (back then) normal content and there's only a couple quick looks every week.

Might as well be entirely unrelated but still a bummer.

#2 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1141 posts) -

Don't worry, they're still adjusting to their new office after their moving.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

They're a small independent start-up, they need your money to survive.

#4 Edited by BigJeffrey (5071 posts) -

Paying for Brad to play DOTA 2 is the highest caliber of Premium content, your not missing out.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Yeah, I've kinda noticed the same thing. They're slowly putting out less and less normal content and more and more premium content.

Granted the first time ive actually been tempted to get a premium subscription was the Rorie and Alex movie podcast. If that becomes a regular thing, yeah, i'll probably subscribe just for that.

#7 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

FUCK GIANTBOMB

#9 Posted by Subjugation (4724 posts) -

I pay a little over $4 a month to get everything. That's a hamburger. Which is a sandwich. I pay a sandwich every month. That's at the full $50 price, even though they have sales on year long memberships.

Guys, a sandwich.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

dota 2 stuff should be not subscriber based because, well, I don't think anyone is going to subscribe to watch brad be middling at dota.

#12 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6997 posts) -

2012 - "There's not enough subscriber content!"

2013 - "There's too much subscriber content!"

#13 Posted by Pazy (2592 posts) -

@animasta said:

dota 2 stuff should be not subscriber based because, well, I don't think anyone is going to subscribe to watch brad be middling at dota.

The Live stream at least is open for everyone. I believe its the same logic as TNT which is still free if you go to the Twitch.tv archive but premium on the website simply for bandwidth costs.

#15 Posted by csl316 (8933 posts) -

I noticed it, too, but Quick Looks still give several hours of fun. And a bunch of the recent streams have been on Youtube, so it seems ok to me.

I bought a sundae earlier that cost more than a month of subscribing. It brought some joy but it didn't last as long.

#16 Posted by alanm26v5 (459 posts) -

I think it has to do with the fact that very little is coming out right now, both because of the time of the year and where we are in the console cycle. Can't say I've heard of any games coming out that I want to see a quick look of. Also I would imagine that they're gearing up for E3, which should be a ton of nonsubscriber content. The Xbox stream was nonsubscriber right? That was the biggest thing to happen this week.

#17 Posted by gaminghooligan (1462 posts) -

I pay a little over $4 a month to get everything. That's a hamburger. Which is a sandwich. I pay a sandwich every month. That's at the full $50 price, even though they have sales on year long memberships.

Guys, a sandwich.

this. The DOTA stuff should be free, I'll give you that one.

#18 Edited by Mcfart (1658 posts) -

@subjugation said:

Guys, a sandwich.

It is. On twitch. Sheesh.

#19 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

@shinluis said:

So back in the day we had pretty much something new every so often and quick looks showed up in a nearly daily basis.

Nowadays there's a fairly good quantity of premium videos, podcasts and other nicey features but very little of the (back then) normal content and there's only a couple quick looks every week.

Might as well be entirely unrelated but still a bummer.

Most of the live stuff is on Twitch for free, it just isn't titled. The only thing that doesn't go up there is Jar Time, Spookin with Scoops and the podcast.

#20 Edited by development (2425 posts) -

@mcfart said:

@gaminghooligan said:

@subjugation said:

Guys, a sandwich.

It is. On twitch. Sheesh.

This is true, but -- although I'm a premium member -- I can sympathize, because (for me) half the fun of live shows is watching the chat's reaction, participating in polls, and getting to ask questions of the staff.

The ratio of normal to premium videos isn't something I really pay attention to, to be honest, but I've seen this come up a lot in the past week or so, so maybe the people who are complaining are onto something.

#21 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Thats not what they were saying, the ratio is flipping from mostly free content, to mostly premium content with some free stuff.

And i dont see anyone really complaining about it, they were just posting about it and asking a question. No need for snarky comebacks.

Again, the rise in subscriber content is finally making me think about getting one.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15008 posts) -

This. So much this. Everyone shutup.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4415 posts) -

Here we go again.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I lost faith when they made the YouTube player premium only.

#25 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

I think part of the problem is that they know that they need to put out premium content for subscribers. Something to quench the thirst for those who are paying a monthly or yearly subscription. This takes up about 2 hours out of the day - sometimes even more. So for the rest of the week they can either sprinkle out quick looks that they had recorded which, let's be honest, do not necessarily have to be new releases. They can do the old Quick Look Throwbacks or whatever they were called. You can see it in the I Love Mondays videos that they'd throw up their arms in dismay whenever there are no "interesting" new releases. The games are right there. People ship them games even! Content is just waiting to be produced but they lean more towards 2-3 hour premium live streams.

#26 Posted by Cramsy (1173 posts) -

The Last Week:

Non Sub:

• Xb Q&A
  • ILM
  • Stream Test
  • Quick Look: Music of the Spheres
  • Xbox One Reveal
  • Quick Look: Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe

Subscriber:

• Dota x4
  • Bio Forge
  • There's Coffee In This Beer
  • TNT
  • Spookin With Scoops
  • Unprofessional Fridays

Give me a break.

#27 Edited by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

Guys, a sandwich.

The whole comparing-a-subscription-service-to-food thing is always fucking awful and just completely incoherent.

#28 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@cramsy said:

The Last Week:

Non Sub:

• Xb Q&A
  • ILM
  • Stream Test
  • Xbox One Reveal

Subscriber:

• Dota x4
  • Bio Forge
  • TNT
  • Spookin With Scoops
  • Unprofessional Fridays

Give me a break.

Come on. ILM isn't content. it's them shooting with a damn cellphone and NEVER even remotely having a solid plan of rhte week. "uhhh. maybe we'll do something with this? i dunno" is NOT content. Seriously, ILM is awful ever since they switched to that dumb cellphone version.

Its not even worth watching, it's not funny, it's not informative as they never have a plan for the week. It's just them aimlessingly going "i dunno what to do, do you?" for 15 god damn minutes. Just tell me what games you're going to look at and what TNT is going to be and end it. Don't make them 15 minutes long.

BY FAR the worst "content" on the site

#29 Posted by MoonwalkSA (435 posts) -

Besides the podcast, the articles, and Quick Looks/Bombtasticas, there isn't normally a wide variety of non-subscriber content in the first place. Given that they're clearly having to reach just to find games to QL (there is nothing at all coming out right now besides intermittent indie titles) and Bombtasticas are just done at home in their free time (which they have less of going into E3), I think the lack of free content is entirely just a seasonal problem.

The increase in premium content is possibly a response to the relative lack of regular premium content (besides TNT) that they used to have, and regardless of the reason it is definitely welcome. And I certainly doubt that they're adding premium content at the expense of free content - if Unprofessional Fridays and Daily Dota weren't happening, would you be getting more Quick Looks? Probably not, because there's nothing to QL.

#30 Edited by Pr1mus (3949 posts) -

Yes and not slowly.

#31 Posted by Cramsy (1173 posts) -

@cramsy said:

The Last Week:

Non Sub:

• Xb Q&A
  • ILM
  • Stream Test
  • Xbox One Reveal

Subscriber:

• Dota x4
  • Bio Forge
  • TNT
  • Spookin With Scoops
  • Unprofessional Fridays

Give me a break.

Come on. ILM isn't content. it's them shooting with a damn cellphone and NEVER even remotely having a solid plan of rhte week. "uhhh. maybe we'll do something with this? i dunno" is NOT content. Seriously, ILM is awful ever since they switched to that dumb cellphone version.

Its not even worth watching, it's not funny, it's not informative as they never have a plan for the week. It's just them aimlessingly going "i dunno what to do, do you?" for 15 god damn minutes. Just tell me what games you're going to look at and what TNT is going to be and end it. Don't make them 15 minutes long.

Cheer up. Let's take away content we don't watch then? I'll remove the 4x DOTA videos and it's still the same amount.

#32 Posted by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

@clonedzero: Yeah, I pretty much never bother with ILM...

#33 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4847 posts) -

@cramsy said:

The Last Week:

Non Sub:

• Xb Q&A
  • ILM
  • Stream Test
  • Xbox One Reveal

Subscriber:

• Dota x4
  • Bio Forge
  • TNT
  • Spookin With Scoops
  • Unprofessional Fridays

Give me a break.

Maybe the complaint is that all of the interesting stuff is subscriber based? If that's the case I can understand why people would be a little miffed. The non subscriber stuff isn't very interesting.

#34 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

It's kind of funny, because last year people on premium were complaining about the lack of premium content. And also the lack of other content.

ILM is basically them just talking about what is happening in the week and going on tangents. I believe they actually do have a plan for the week, because a lot of what they plan in ILM actually does happen. Sometimes there's an impromptu stream, but that's always good. One can argue they do the same thing on the podcast, they just talk and go on tangents, only difference it's a video.

#35 Posted by EXTomar (4836 posts) -

I'm not a subscriber and yet still catch "The Daily Dota" when I notice it is live. I think doing premium membership stuff like the way Giant Bomb is doing is desirable compared to other sites.

#36 Edited by joshth (506 posts) -

@cramsy said:

The Last Week:

Non Sub:

• Xb Q&A
  • ILM
  • Stream Test
  • Xbox One Reveal

Subscriber:

• Dota x4
  • Bio Forge
  • TNT
  • Spookin With Scoops
  • Unprofessional Fridays

Give me a break.

Maybe the complaint is that all of the interesting stuff is subscriber based? If that's the case I can understand why people would be a little miffed. The non subscriber stuff isn't very interesting.

Yeah that's pretty weird that they would try to make the subscriber stuff interesting. Almost as though they were trying to entice people to get a sub or something.

Sorry for the snark, its just that I don't really see how having a lot more subscriber content is a bad thing. If people are really miffed about it they can either sub or leave.

#37 Posted by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

@joshth: I think the issue is finding the right balance between subscriber and non-subscriber.

#38 Edited by coaxmetal (1640 posts) -

TNT (and maybe unpro?) are available live for non subs (and I think TNT can be watched on twitch after even without a sub). Who cares about dota, that doesn't count. Though, Bioforge was worth subscribing for.

But really, if you are unsatisfied with the content you are not paying for, I guess stop consuming it? Or pay for more content. The stop consuming it is the point of diminishing returns where they don't produce enough non subscriber content to make it worth visiting the site at all if you aren't a non sub. I'm a subscriber so I can't really be objective, but it seems like there is more than enough good content to make visiting the site worth it. If you enjoy the content you get, that's great. Complaining that the people who paid get more is silly, if you want more you can get it too. The best thing is the podcast anyway and thats still for everyone.

#39 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but their being owned by CBSi now doesn't suddenly make them instantly profitable.

#40 Edited by Tom_Scherschel (127 posts) -

Some people in this community take entitlement to a whole new level.

#41 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

The things that were free before are free now

#42 Posted by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@beachthunder said:

Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but their being owned by CBSi now doesn't suddenly make them instantly profitable.

They clearly aren't suddenly millionaires, but they are certainly in a different situation than they were when they started the subscription service.

#43 Posted by coaxmetal (1640 posts) -

They are on 2nd street and there are a bunch of startups, including mine, also on 2nd street. So they are basically a startup.

#44 Posted by bondfish (59 posts) -

why is it such a bad thing? i think you get your moneys worth for paying the $50 to watch the gb crew have a good time as well as watch hours of footage every week

#45 Posted by RecSpec (3849 posts) -

We're through the looking glass here people.

#46 Posted by TruthTellah (9306 posts) -

Just two months ago, everyone was complaining that there wasn't enough premium content. Now people are complaining that the premium content is outweighing the free content. They can't catch a break.

I'd agree that some of their best stuff recently has been paid, but then, that's sort of the point. A lot of free content that shows their appeal and premium content for those who want even more of them.

Though, if you really feel like paying for premium is too much of a hassle, a lot of that content is shown to everyone live and a lot of it is even archived elsewhere for free viewing. So, you have plenty of options.

#47 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@beachthunder said:

They clearly aren't suddenly millionaires, but they are certainly in a different situation than they were when they started the subscription service.

They also wouldn't necessarily be in as good a position without the subscription service. They still need to make money. Hell, Gamespot has its own subscription service.

#48 Edited by Slag (4603 posts) -

I don't see it.

It just seems like they are getting premium content back up to 2011 levels of production.

I think it's fine and smart on their part

#49 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@mrpandaman: My point is that ILM's used to be a quality piece of content that was actually produced, only 2-3 minutes long, gave you the information you needed and wanted to know. It actually had production value and was worth watching. Now its a shitty cellphone rambling pointless video that makes it less clear of what they're going to do during the week. I just wish they put the effort they used to into it. Cus currently its awful.

TNT (and maybe unpro?) are available live for non subs (and I think TNT can be watched on twitch after even without a sub). Who cares about dota, that doesn't count. Though, Bioforge was worth subscribing for.

But really, if you are unsatisfied with the content you are not paying for, I guess stop consuming it? Or pay for more content. The stop consuming it is the point of diminishing returns where they don't produce enough non subscriber content to make it worth visiting the site at all if you aren't a non sub. I'm a subscriber so I can't really be objective, but it seems like there is more than enough good content to make visiting the site worth it. If you enjoy the content you get, that's great. Complaining that the people who paid get more is silly, if you want more you can get it too. The best thing is the podcast anyway and thats still for everyone.

Unprofessional fridays was always intended for subscribers only, there was like a month or so where it appeared on the front page to everyone when it was live, and i caught a few of them. Enough to go "oh, ok i dont really care about this feature after all"

I think people are being overly defensive, no one is really attacking the crew for making more subscriber content. Hell i even mentioned that the Rorie & Alex movie podcast WILL be the thing that finally gets me to subscribe if it becomes regular premium content.

I'm not a subscriber because having seen some of the subscriber videos, i've never really been that interested in them, i love quicklooks and live streams. But Jeff talking to himself while drinking from a jar? yeah no thanks....Patrick playing horror games by himself? yeah again, don't care. Rorie and Alex talking about movies though, I miss the hell out of screened (the real screened). So yeah I really hope that becomes a regular thing so i can finally have a reason for subscribing.

#50 Edited by Lanechanger (526 posts) -

Giant Bomb's FTP model is soooo pay to win